Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• For what it's worth... I called and they basically told me "so sorry, too bad!" I talked to "the law firm" in NYC and I asked her for advice on the attitude to take. I said, "Is there any point to making a nuisance of myself now that they've already said 'no'?" She got frank with me and said, "Does your wife ever drive this car?" I responded telling her it was primarily hers. She said, "Good. Have YOUR WIFE call Honda. Have her remind them that she's a mother of small children." My wife normally likes me to make these kind of calls, but she made the call after the suggestion. 10 minutes later, Honda America was paying half.
  • I'm not having any luck with assistance from American Honda. Looks like they're not paying out any more after the extended warranty.So it looks like AAMCO will do the repair for $1864 (plus $375 for torque converter if needed) with 12/12,000 warranty. They'll do the actual rebuilding of my tranny. Has anyone had any experience with the AAMCO rebuilds, good or bad? I also have Gibraltar Transmissions around me but haven't tried them.
  • Read some of the prior posts about AAMCO rebuilds...seems that some haven't been great. You might read this Honda/Acura blog post (and the reader comments) regarding a Honda specialty shop using H&A rebuilt transmissions instead of the OEM Honda trannys.

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2009/08/22/2002-acura-mdx-transmission-replacement-- at-accurate-automotive-auto-repair/
  • Sorry to hear that. I have seen some posting of people using Aamco, but haven't heard how they worked out. I have also been reading about Jasper Transmissions. You might call them and get a quote. There is a link on this website to Jasper Transmissions:

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/

or you can probably google it.
  • Here is an old post that I wrote as a reply to someone else this past July with the same problem as you. This response will hopefully help.
    Your best bet is to call Honda Cust. Service 800-999-1009 and explain your situation. Have your vin # ready because Honda cust service will ask for it. My 02 Odyssey transmission went bad with only 42k miles and incurred a $3200 bill from AAMCO Transmission. I called Honda and they reimburse me $1000 for the problem . Honda acknowledge that there is a major problem with the transmissions for the 1999-2004 Odyssey. They are handling problems on a case by case basis.
    Since your van has 103k miles, your best bet is to repair it at AAMCO and purchase the additional 3 yr/36000 miles warranty or even a lifetime warranty, if you plan to keep the van for awhile.
    It is just unfortunate that us Honda Odyssey owners of 1999-2004 have to deal with this transmission problem.
  • cottduke & rfreitas-
    Thanks for responses. So far I've read thru nearly half the posts but don't remember any bad reports on AAMCO. They say they'll rebuild with all the latest and greatest but who knows if thats any better than the Honda rebuilds. I'm in NJ and don't think I want to keep looking for repair shops with the Ody bearly driveable. I may just stick with AAMCO and maybe sell before the 1-year warranty is up.
  • What year and mileage is your Odyssey? Mine is 2000 and 130,000 miles. I may try same approach if yours is similar to mine.
  • It's very sad that all the Honda Odyssey mini vans have transmission problems like this. I am so glad that I drive a Toyota.
  • I have 2002 and had the same problem. At about 60.000 the bottom of my radiator was corroded (from winter road salt) and leaking coolant so it was replaced by a local mechanic (my favorite local Honda dealer started to find more and more mysterious things that were wrong with my van and charging me $$$ every time I bring the van in for routine maintenance etc). About a month later suddenly it felt like as if the clutch has gone out as the engine was revving yet the van wasn't moving much and then the engine light came on. About a 10 mph 1/4 mile later transmission stopped engaging(?) and the van basically stop moving except in reverse very slowly. I get out and see the trail of red transmission fluid as it was spewing the fluid everywhere.

I towed it to the same mechanic and he mumbled something like the *coolant lines (running from tranny to radiator)* somehow came off. He claimed it wasn't his fault although he replaced the radiator only a month ago. Luckily when he reattached the hose and refilled the transmission fluid all was fine. It costed me towing and replacement hose. Apparently from reading Warriorcoach's post it is critical to cinch the zip tie that hold the said line at exact same point. I think my mechanic believed he didn't do anything wrong yet couldn't explain exactly why it came off. He said things happen while car is moving and bouncing around!!! I was just happy that I didn't have to replace the tranny.
  • lyndylyndy Posts: 2
    Sorry about your tranny. I thought there was some kind of reimbursement program from Honda re the 2000 Odyssey transmission. If the dealer wont help, call Honda America - the number is in your car's manual. I thought about going through the dealer but decided to deal directly with Honda America to speed things up. I made my pitch based on Honda's reputation for reliability and custormer loyalty (have owned other Honda's). Have your paperwork handy, including service records--I had to fax them mine. They try to lowball you on their first offer, so if you hang in there and plead for more money it may help. Good luck,. Let us know how it goes.
    Lyndy
  • q3dq3d Posts: 3
    I have had problems eversince I had software update on my 07 Odyssey. It judder around 25-30 mph. Torque converter was then replaced. Right after that service though, I have difficulty getting my key out of the ignition while in the Park position. I would have to shift gears in and out of Park and shake the shift lever while in Park and pray that I can get my keys out. Anyone, please give me some insight. I had my car serviced at Honda World in Westminster, CA and do not think I will ever go there again. Problems after problems eversince the update in a car that was fine before the update. My car is still under warranty but my time is very precious. Where is a good Honda dealer and Tech in southern California I should take my minivan to?

Thank you.
  • Please DO NOT use aamco!!!!!! I am in the process of probably suing them. They had my car for 6 weeks, after telling me it would take no more than 5 days!!!!! I had to fight tooth and nail just to get my car back after 6 weeks, and it is in worse shape than the day I drove it into that place. The only thing I know to do is to sue them. From what I've read on the internet, this is a nation wide similar complaint!!!
  • Sorry to hear about your experience with AAMCO. I had my 2002 Odyssey transmission serviced by AAMCO back in July and have no problem since. The only thing I am upset is the $3100 bill. Honda has acknowledged that there seems to be a widespread problem with the transmissions. I was reimbursed a $1000 as a "good will gesture" as they put it. But with only 41500 miles at the time, this transmission problem should not have happened.
    As far as your complaint about AAMCO, it is an isolated problem. All AAMCO shops are independently owned and not all shops are the same. I was happy with my service. Hey tinaleggrdh, it is not fair to bash the whole franchise. Just think about it, if your Big Mac and service were terrible at your recent visit to a local McDonalds, does that mean all McDonalds are terrible?? Just be fair about it. :D
  • We have a used 06 Odyssey with the Juddering problem. The dealer said to get it in before 60K miles. Does the 60k powertrain warranty apply to used vehicles in this case since there is TSB?
  • Transmission will fail 100,000 miles when warranty expires! Look to pay up to 6,000 for repairs from Dealer. Honda Corp will laugh at you! They will not assist you or honor there products. You will be sorry!
  • wckwck Posts: 1
    I too had the similar problem with my 07 Odyssey about 55K on the clock. I took it back to the dealer within 1 month and had them replaced the motor mounts (front and rear), and the transmission torque converter. If you have the similar symptom below, take it to the dealer (Hope you still have warranty...) and make sure don't let them tell you that it is NORMAL.

The symptom for the motor mounts issue:
    - Small cranking noise from front around 20 to 35 mpg.
    - Small vibration on the break or gas paddle.

The symptom for the Transmission torque coverter:
    - Car shakes badly around 20, 30, and 40 mpg at 1500 rpm.
    - The shaking could be intermittent.

After some searching on the web, it looks like all these issue are well known issue and the motor mount issue could be due to VCM. Below is the link to explain:

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/11/26/excessive-engine-vibration-with-eco-on-t- he-honda-odyssey-ex-l-and-honda-odyssey-touring/

Will I buy a Honda again? Hummm this is a tough question as I really like the handling of the Odyssey over the Sienna. But, after all the trouble and afraid some other shoes might drop after my Power train warranty expires in less than 4000 miles.... I think I will have to try Toyota next time. For those of you that are thinking to buy a Odyssey because of reliability, think twice! :)
  • claraclara Posts: 17
    What should I do? I am a mom of 4 boys who is on the go and I am scared this van is going to fail on interstate. My 2004 Odyssey is leaking transmission fluid and does a clunk when shifting from park to reverse. Mechanic said he would replace 2 sensors and it was 50/50 whether that would work. He told me if it does not to consider getting rid of the van because the tranny would be about $5000 fix plus the van is about to get 105,000 mile service which would be another $1000 plus and I need brakes replaced $?. This is Honda #3 for me that I bought new and I service them and keep until they die. I would never expect this from a Honda!
  • g3guyg3guy Posts: 31
    The mechanic is right; this one is ready to die. Dump it and stop buying Hondas. Its amazing that you got this far on this one. If you put six K into this one, you will have a 5K van that still might quit on you.
  • lag25lag25 Posts: 2
    OK, Here's the deal. I'm like the rest who have had good vehicles from Honda in the pas and now find ourselves on this site wondering which way to go due to the massive problems of transmissions, and other poor quality type problems, I'm in a fix. I found out that in order to pass DMV's smog certification requirements, none of the lights on your dash can be lit. But with my '03' Odyssey EX recently receiving it's 105,000 scheduled maintenance (I've been having many problems with my Odyssey 03'. I' blindly agreed with the e-cell phone number. I'm real tirec but what I need to exspress
  • After a NIGHTMARE with Honda American and the local dealership, I did replace my transmission at the dealership. I wanted to make sure that I got in writing the 3 yr/ 36k warranty on this new one. My plan is to drive it 2 more years and bail before I am in the situation again. I too am mom of 4 and driving around Atlanta is stressful enough without worrying about your transmission dying on I-285! II am SO disappointed in Honda. I bought my Odyssey because I wanted stellar reliability and excellent customer service. Unfortunately, I didn't get either!