Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• tmock13tmock13 Posts: 38
    edited February 2010
    "I demanded that they help more than that" Wow, you've got a mean streak in you if you approached Honda USA like that. Hey, I also own a 02 Odyssey but my transmission failed over this past summer at only 41500 miles. Far less than your 80000 miles and cost me $3200 at AAMCO transmission repair shop. Honda dealers gave me quotes between $5000-$6500. I also call Honda USA to complained and ended up with only a $1000 reimbursement. My case manager at Honda USA admittedly acknowledged that there were numerous complaints about the faulty transmissions on the 1999-2004 Odysseys. I was told that they were handling this widespread defect on a case by case basis instead of a recall. Recalling on all of these transmissions would cost them through the roof just like what Toyota is experiencing now with their gas pedal acceleration situation. Hey gigs727, at least you got some assistance from Honda USA with a new 3 years/36000 miles warranty on the repaired transmission. Honda USA didn't need to do that since your van is already way over the 3 years/36000 miles warranty you got when you purchased it. What other car company would do that. So, don't say you may never buy another Honda again.
    It could be worse like if you own a Toyota right now. :surprise:
  • tmock13, I don't understand your statement "Honda USA didn't need to do that since your van is already way over the 3 years/36000 miles warranty you got when you purchased it." Honda's powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles. The 3 year/36,000 warranty is the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. Do you really think it's acceptable for any automaker to sell vehicles that have major mechanical issues like this? For heaven's sake, Honda has known about this for a decade and has decided not to do anything about it! You'd think after more than a decade of this Honda would address it by now. From my perspective that's the real issue. Let alone you spend $30K+ for a vehicle that the manufacturer knows has inherent mechanical design flaws! That's just shameful and to me ranks right up there with Toyota's current problems.
  • I have a Toyota with the gas pedal recall, and I also have a 2002 Odyssey with a piece of crap transmission that went out and had to pay $3000 to replace it. And my case manager tried to tell me there are no known problems with the 2002 Odyssey Transmission other than the recall work which was supposed to fix the issue in the 99-01's (which it didn't).

I would buy another Toyota any day, at least they care enough to have the recall and get these cars fixed even if they do lose money. Honda on the other hand is doing nothing. I will never buy another Honda.

You said "Recalling on all of these transmissions would cost them through the roof"

So what? They should have to pay through the roof! They screwed up the transmission not us. What is it going to take a family to die before they have a recall?
  • I have a 2007 Odyssey EXL...with around 30k miles.. I've bought Honda's for some time.. but the Odyssey is horrible... its already had front wheel bearings... the brakes squeak when cold ( fairly normal I was told )... sometimes from cold there is a loud clicking... and then there is the transmission !!! if I pull away slowly from 30mph - 50mph I sometimes get the shudder... but even worse.. ifI drive with at a constant cruising speed the rev counter sometimes goes up around 200rpm and it sounds like its changing gear.. for absolutely no reason.. and the very worst is that sometimes it does this while slowing down to a stop... and gives the impression of an acceleration... very unnerving... it goes in tomorrow to be checked out... honestly I don't want it back... I was going to keep it forever... but would trade it in if I could think of something else....
  • flexmick, ask your dealer to check the power steering reservoir. There is a known problem where air can get into the system, causing the symptoms you are describing with the clicking noise, etc.. Also, the issue you are experiencing at cruising speeds is caused by cavitations in the transmission torque converter. This happens when the torque converter slips out of lockup mode. My dealer told me a quick tap on the gas will correct it, which I think is a load of crap. I doubt your front wheel bearings really needed to be replaced, I'm willing to bet the real problem is the torque converter lockup problem. We had a 2007 Odyssey EX-L and replacing the torque converter only fixed the problem temporarily.

Like you I've owned many Hondas, but only one Odyssey and will not buy another one. Honda has known about transmission problems in the Odyssey for over a decade and hasn't taken steps to fix it.
  • Yes, you are right that the transmission is covered under the powertrain warranty of 5 years/60,000 miles for the Odyssey. The Odyssey in this discussion is a 02 Odyssey with 80,000 miles on it. This vehicle is 3 years over the 5 year limit and 20,000 miles over the allowed mileage. Again, Honda can simply blow you off and not even provide any monetary assistance to the defective transmission. Honda is not obligated to do anything for you when a warranty is no longer in effect. Honda did help me when my transmission on my 02 Odyssey went bad at 41500 miles. Yes, I was upset and angry that this happened. I paid MSRP for this van back in 02 when demand exceeded supply. But, I was also grateful that Honda reimbursed me $1000 towards my $3200 bill from AAMCO. Think about this, I no longer had a warranty but Honda still agreed to do something for their customer. :surprise:
  • I see your point and I agree. I just think that after a decade Honda would do something to fix the problem permanently. We were very disappointed to learn that not only had the problem not been addressed by the 2007 model year, but was in some aspects even worse. Our local dealer was very good about working with us on a variety of issues, including the torque converter. I just think that any vehicle costing $30K+ should not have those kinds of mechanical issues even within the warranty period, let alone at 80,000 miles or more.
  • I bought my '01 Odyssey for top dollar back when there was a waiting list to get one. I did so because I wanted stellar customer service and quality that I could feel confident driving my family around in! I got neither.
    Atleast Toyota is acknowledging their mistake.... Honda's lack of integrity is very disappointing!
  • My '01 Odyssey transmission just failed (slipping between shifts when cold, no codes in the computer) at 85K, about 40K miles after the warranty replacement.

According to the Honda dealer here, if American Honda pays anything toward the transmission replacement the warranty on the new transmission reduces from 3yr/36K miles to 1yr/12K miles. They said that if Honda contributed it would be replaced under 'warranty' and those are only good for 1yr/12K miles.

Anyone run into this? Is this for real? Thanks.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    any indication on whether these transmission problems have been fixed by now? I just bought a new 2010.......have they changed anything mechanically between the 2005 and the 2010?
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    have they changed anything mechanically between the 2005 and the 2010?
    Yes, in 2007, Honda changed its automatic in the Odyssey from the 3-shaft to the heavier-duty 4-shaft version developed for the Ridgeline.
    oh sweet - so maybe I have a better chance at avoiding tranny failures then. thanks
  • We thought so too when we bought a 2007 Odyssey EX-L, however, if you read through the posts you will unfortunately find that many problems have been reported with the 2007 model year and up. For your sake I hope Honda has made some improvements, but transmission problems in the Odyssey seems to be prevalent since the 2000 model year.
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    I read a lot on my 2006 eco roughness and slight surge at 47mph or so. Went to private shop they said mounts were OK, then went to Dealer and was tough on them. 85000 miles OUW so I made top tech ride with me first. He said mounts..then hooked it to computer. The rear mounts are electronic(i didn't know it). All side mounts and rears were replaced, fronts were deemed soft but OK. I got them to throw in discount and was and oil change and got out for a few hundred. I must tell others that it DID make car drive new again, better shifting and smoother in eco with no vibration or hum. I was ready to give it up! Now pretty happy with this car again....I also own toyota avalon and feel this has similar deal with problems but Avalon now fixed by dealer out of warranty....hope this helps someone
  • -- UPDATE to Post 1366 --

Thankfully Honda USA has agreed to contribute another $640. towards the bill leaving us to pick up a balance of $2,090. That helps restore a little bit of confidence ...but not all. I think I would buy another Accord but I definitely would not buy another Odyssey [it was great while it lasted, but it didn't last long enough].

Next purchase will probably be a small SUV and before this episode I would have picked the CR-V without hesitation. Now I'm thinking that the Mitsubishi Outlander is looking real good with it's 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain warranty and track record showing good reliability. If I had to buy another van I would probably go with the Sienna (even though I'm not a Toyota fan). I'm writting this in hope that it will help other consumers out there make better, more informed choices when shopping for a new car.

....AND, in case any Honda Marketing folks are reading these posts, think about how this type of issue hurts Honda's reputation and effects future car sales. Wouldn't it have made more sense to make the necessary changes back when the problem first became apparent around 2000? It certainly can't be good for business when a person Googles 'Honda Odyssey' and "transmission problems" show up at the top of the results list.
  • I would check the vehcile owers' feedback at Consumers Reports (dots). I don't believe that Mitsubishi is all that good as far as their vehcles division goes. Once upon a time, about 5-7 years ago they were suppose to get out of building vehicles. Anything you GOOGLE stays ontop. Put in Chrysler and tranmssions and you get Dodge transmission recalls - -on top. A person on ODYCLUB.COM bought a 2006 Odyssey after having had 3 transmiisons replaced in an early model; because he liked the Odyssey in all it's other best things. People buy high price BMWs amd MBs and keep them in top shap with odoodles of money because they love their cars features and performance. I currently have 245,000 kms (149,500 miles) on my Odyssey and I will try to keep it "forever"

2002 Honda Odyssey EX
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van 351 cu ins V8
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-V6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini
  • On a new 2010 LX Odyssey I have noticed a vibration I can turn on and off.

I can get rid of the vibration (feels like you're driving on a washboard) by turning off the overdrive. At 80KMH I can feel it the most and turning off and on the overdrive will turn off and on the vibration. On a slight incline I have the same vibration at about 60 KMH. This was verified by the HONDA mechanic who said to me it was the transmission trying to find the right gear. He had suggested that I turn off the overdrive. There was a 2009 courtesy Odyssey that we test drove and it had the same condition. In the end, he said this was not the judder noted in the TSB calling for a program or torque converter change.

Now I have the same droning noise when I have a "cold" start and it lasts for a few minutes. Do you have the same issue, that it is temporary?

So far I have BS from CSR and Case Manager who tell me this is a "normal" operating characteristic of the vehicle. Obviously if I can turn on and off the vibration by turning on and off the overdrive, it tells me there is a direct link or cause, especially if the HONDA tech tells me the transmission is trying to find the right gear. The game that is played is the dealership cannot replace parts if they cannot root cause the issue properly as HONDA will not compensate them if it doesn't fix the issue. I know this as I initially had the vibration issue and they re-balanced the tires. Issue is still there and they have not sent me my "work" order. They told me once HONDA gives approval for the dealership, I'll get the work order. So if there is no TSB (or product update), they may not get compensated for work done if it does not solve the issue.

I'll be escalating this issue to the next level. Anyone else have the same issue.
  • g3guyg3guy Posts: 31
    This is not true. Any replacement of your transmission by a Honda dealer, whether they pay part of it or not, gives you a 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty. Your dealer is BSing you, again.......don't let them do it to you. Go to another dealer for a second opinion.
    I notice a little drone right around 30mph when cruising on local streets.....for me its not too big of a deal and I think I'm primed to hear it after reading some of these boards.....is 30mph one of the drones you're referring to?
  • dcoitdcoit Posts: 1
    hey all, help. I have a 2004 odessey ex w/174,000 miles. traction control light has come on and doesn't go off.also check engine light is on. add in the engine is bucking big time. does this sound like a tranny problem?