Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• pgnagelpgnagel Posts: 60
    Synthetic fluid isn't magically better, its' just more stable. So yes, I would still install the Hayden cooler.

Our Odyssey has that useless Honda cooler. It's a joke, and it should be replaced with the far more effecient *stacked plate* version. See this link for a quick tutorial on how heat affects the fluid:

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

You can't cool ATF fluid too much. Spend the $60 on the Hayden cooler and have it installed. You could save yourself $100 and do it yourself. It really isnt' difficult if you have a little patience.
  • Yep you are right. This is very cheap insurance. I will give it a try.
  • This Hayden Cooler, according to the Amazon website, is only compatible with Honda Odyssey 1999-2004?
    Check out the Hayden website and ask them which one you need:

http://www.haydenauto.com/ROOT-Home/Content.aspx

The compatibility issue concerns hose and fitting placement, and clearances at the radiator. I'm sure thye can tell you which one will fit your vehicle. I know the 678 fits my 1999 Odyssey.
  • ignorisblissignorisbliss Posts: 27
    edited June 2011
    I'm sorry my friend, Hayden's website shows they do not have a cooler for the 2007 Odyssey. They do have them for the 2007 Accord, Pilot, and Ridgeline. And they do have them for 1999-2004 Odyssey.
  • You say you sued Honda in Small Claims Court and won, are you still driving the Honda Odyssey 2003? Did they pay for you to get it fixed???? What do I need to do to get started with this same claim? I am also having transmission problems with my Trans. I have been to my dealer with all my Maintenance needs. Never told of an extended Warranty that covered this problem. My light went on and was told Po740 code only. Now they tell me that I need a rebuilt Trans for $5,600.00 and a new computer board to connect it to. Wow what problems this Honda is giving me, I will never buy a HONDA again.
  • I've been reading the horrific posts here, and I'm ready to ad my story now and seek advice. Our van has 90000 miles on it, however the transmission was replaced with "new" at 26000 when we bought it at the dealer in 2006. Admittedly, I have never changed the transmission fluid, my bad, never thought to. Coming home from the beach three days ago, with cruise control set and about to go up a slight highway incline, the engine raced to 5k rpms and oil coated the back window. We got the car home, determined it to be transmission fluid and are currently weighing our options. Point #1, the fluid level (albeit dirty and smelling burnt) is not lower, and is not leaking where I can see. Also, the van is performing, shifting, and running just fine. Am I playing with fire by just changing the fluid? How can fluid blow out but stop leaking? I'm thinking of trading it in for a 2008 or newer. Any help is appreciated!
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Posts: 48
    $5600 is too much for a transmission. I agree with an earlier post (longo2?)that you should go to a shop that will totally rebuild the transmission themselves. My Ody needed a transmission last year after 9 yrs and 103,000 miles. (Not that bad, in my opinion.) Anyway, I got an estimate from one shop for over $4000. They also charged me $800 for flushing, changing selenoids, "diagnosis," etc! Finally got the name of a good mechanic who sent me to a great transmission shop. For the transmission, torque converter, and two engine mounts, I paid $2300, parts, labor, and tax.
    Have you been checking the fluid level? I'm asking because when we bought our van several years ago it had WAY too much fluid in it. Too much fluid can cause cavitation problems and burn up the pump. Have the transmission serviced, and have the tech trace the leak too it's source. You probably popped a hose off the cooler, and it needs to be fixed. You may be experiencing symptoms of a failing torque converter. These transmissions are actually pretty stout, and will regular servicing and a decent cooler they will live long, happy lives.
  • eharestadeharestad Posts: 1
    We are currently having this same problem with our Odyssey. We took it in once and they thought it was just low on freon.

They adjusted those levels.

It was fine for a few weeks, and then the battery was dead again. Once started, it made the same hissing and let off the same steam. I took it in once more and they diagnosed that the whole ac compressor would need to be replaced for $1000.

I am supposed to take it in tomorrow for the compressor to be replaced, but I'd much prefer to just replace a relay.

They look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I think that the battery and the a/c problems correlate.

Was there any better terminology that would help me explain things to them so that we can properly diagnose this?

Thanks
  • robardskyrobardsky Posts: 1
    Our 2010 Odyssey that we bought new in 2009 just clicked over 42,000 miles and the warning signal came on indicating that tranny fluid needs to be replaced. Have been driving various models of cars for 45 years and have never had to replace it that quickly. Honda service mgr says typical replacement time is every 38-40,000 miles.

After ready many of the horror stories on this forum, it's starting to sound true but still ridiculous. I researched Odyssey vs. many other minivan models before we bought the Odyssey and don't remember seeing the tranny problem discussed much. Just hope it isn't an indication of tranny replacement in the near future.

Anyone else seeing tranny fluid replacement warnings at the 40,000 mile range? Does $155 to replace the fluid seem like gouging?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,567
    $155 sounds high. might depend onwhere you are. About $95 at my NJ honda dealer.

and I consider it cheap insurance. 60K would be the most I would consider reasonable on one of these, and I do every 30K on my 2005.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

It's so expensive because they flush the transmission with 12 quarts of fluid. That's 3 gallons, kids. Just drain and fill, then do it again in a month or so. The new fluid is about $6 a quart.
  • mykiddosmykiddos Posts: 3
    DO NOT flush the transmission. Honda says to drain it. Make sure the paperwork that you get from the company does not have the word flush on it. The place who drained my transmission fluid had the word "flush" on the papaerwork because that is how they have it in their system. My transmission blew at 85k miles and even after having it confirmed that they only drained and refilled the fluids, Honda pretty much told me I should be happy that i got "all those miles" out of the transmission when I went to them, despite information all over the internet about the transmission problems. This is my last Honda. I did replace the transmission with a non-Honda transmission because I read those who had the problem and just replced it with the Honda tranny had the same problems.
  • sanjeevasanjeeva Posts: 2
    I have 2005 ody. I replaced trans fluid at around 50k. Now at around 70k it asked to replace it again. I took the car to get an oil change and they are telling me that transmission is leaking oil and is almost empty. I was really shocked. I had several cars in the past but no such issue with transmission.

They filled the oil and asked me to check it if keeps loosing. I will have to now get it diagnosed ($150) and then who knows how much will it cost. Reading about previous models transmission issues makes me nervous.
  • sanjeevasanjeeva Posts: 2
    any update on this? Did you get a response from Honda? I have 2005 ody too and started to see transmission oil leak at 70k.
  • I have a 2000 honda odyssey ex with 262,000. miles on it, that I bought brand new. This vehicle has been very very good to me until about 1 month ago. I am having slipping problems with the transmission. Took it to a transmission place where they were working on 3 other odyssey, much newer them mine. they found a leak and are saying that I probably need a new torc converter and other things but they wont know until they take out the transmission. It came up with 2 codes one was for the torc converter and cant remember what the other one was. I have taken very good care of this car by making sure maintenance is done when it is recommended. I have gone thru 2 timing belts and water pumps at every 100,000. not because they were bad but recommended. Everyone says it was a waste of money but I have been very pleased this honda. The transmission place said it would cost about 4,800. to replace the trans. I was also told that if you get the trans replaced after having that many miles on it, that I should have the engine rebuilt. I dont want to spend that kind of money. So I was looking for used odyssey with low miles and found a lot of info on customers having problems with the trans. anybody want to help me out with the years honda was having these problems so I can stay clear of those certain years
    thanks in advance
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    If you look at customers' reports [reliability dots] on Cconsumer Reports 2003-2006 and 2008-2010 had best reliability in transmissions for the Odyssey. 2007 is bad news. You need to read more on Edmunds.com & OdyClub on what members have to say. I trust Consumer Reports more than any other magazine because they purchase vehicles where the dealers do not know that they are Consumer Report people.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    If CR is saying the 2003 to 2006 HOnda trannys are great, it just shows how far behind the problem they still are. My friend who owns an Automatic Trasmission repair shop is seeing these vans coming in off warranty and needing re-builds too.

The 2007 tranny is out of the Honda Ridgeline truck was much better unless you ignored the re-call for re-programming. Seems Honda just slapped it into the Odyssey as a stop gap fix while they were designing the new 5 speeds, but left it set up for the truck. Dumb/Bad move.

Honda has left a trail of stink down the road now for many many years on this issue but they know it will finally go away as the older 1999 to 20..? Odys get crushed, melted down and turned into re-bar.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    I did not say that CR said these tranmssions were reliable. I said that the customers said the reliablity was ok (as per the dots). CR explains that this information in gattered from customer surveys. Anyway I believe that heat destroys these transmissions and the optional Honda cooler is not the one to use. I have drained & refill my tranny 3 times at 3 litres each time to the sythetic type & added an after-marker transmission cooler. The cooler was added last August. My Honda dealer recommended the after-market cooler.
    My tranny went at 184,000 kms. Anyone I know that had a Windstar had their tranny go at about 104,000 kms. Coolers are standard on the Sienna.