Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• I own a 2004 Honda Odyssey which I have been very satisfied with. It has approximately 180K miles. Prior to this I owned a '99 Windstar which I why I will never own another Ford. Enough said on that. I was driving with my young children in the back seat on the highway when I started hearing a noise that sounded like my engine was struggling to reach another gear. I was traveling around 55, so I don't quite know what gear comes next, but maybe it was downshifting - don't know. Anyway, the engine light comes on, the TCS light comes on and the tackometer (excuse spelling) shoots up to 7. I note that I was not going as fast as I should be an navigated the car safely to the side of the road. After I recovered my initial panic and rejoiced in my children and myself still living, I called my spouse for assistance. He drove the car to the dealer. The car needed to be pulled off the road several times, turned off and restarted on the way to the dealer. 2 days later I am informed that my transmission needs to be replaced which entails having the computer panel replaced and extraneous fluids replaced as well. The estimate is approximately $6,000. Does that sound realistic?? Should I replace or dump the 6K down on something else, in which case what?? Suggestions welcomed. Thank you!
  • Well you say you were very satisfied with this Honda and you had 180,000 miles on it which I think is good... Why not buy another Honda van, maybe a little newer with less miles on it... Some of the complaints I read on here and other web sites are unrealistic. Cars do not last forever.... I love my 2004 Honda van which has 94,000 miles on it and if I get to 180,000 I will be really happy.... no complaints... Of course this is just my opinion, but one observation I have is a lot of these vans seem to have transmission problems and it could be just the way they are loaded down and used really hard..
  • sassafrass,

You absolutely need to dump the car! The replacement transmission is no better than the original that came with car. Honda knew about this defect when they sold us the van. Mine had 68K when it went out. There was a class action lawsuit on this and Honda lost the judgement to the tune of $90 million. Look at the Toyota or other brand. Even the latest report from Consumer Reports rates the ODY as below average. There are many stories of owners driving down the road and the transmission locking up on the almost causing an accident. People have been reporting the issue to the NHSTA. Don't waste your money trying to fix it. I suspect you will also need new motor mounts for they have cracked, too.
  • I towed nothing in this van and loaded it with nothing and the transmission lasted for 68K miles. I changed the fluid when I was supposed to. What a disgrace! Honda told me take a hike and wanted nothing to do with me or this van. Not to mention that the motor mounts were broke. Those should never fail.

Try a google search on thius van and see what you find. There are hundred of thousands of former owners out there where the transmission failed, not to mention the $90 millio class action lawsuit that Honda lost.

The van is a disaster and Honda knew it. Shame on them!
  • Be sure to take Honda to small claims to address the issue as well. I have heard of people winning these cases. Be sure to visit and tell your story on Facebook. Honda has a page on the Honda ODY. We all need to let unsuspecting consumers know to avoid Honda.
  • eng2eng2 Posts: 10
    Yes we had to replace the transmission on an 2002 Odyssey with under 101,000 miles for $4,600. This car has been serviced regularly since new at the Honda dealership, and I'm hoping that Honda will come forth to help. If it had gone even 150,000 miles I would have been pleased, but my concern now is what else would go as the car is not worth much more on a trade in than $6,000 or less. I wish we had traded it before the transmission had gone, as with a blown transmission we will not get anything for the car. If repairs start to cost more than the car is worth I think it is time for a new one. Odyssey's appear to have transmissions as a weak point.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    Sassa' I passed your post on to my friend who is a kind of local guru on Honda a/t issues, here is his reply...hope this helps.

The first question I would ask is "What's the warranty?". Somebody is on the ball if they want to replace the PCM as well. Tell him to find an ATRA member shop and he will get better service, all the latest and greatest updates, and a longer warranty. A lower price is questionable. The dealer isn't going to have the updates that fix the inherent design problems within the transmission. He'll be getting a transmission designed and build just like the one that failed. Here's the ATRA Shop Finder to where he can find the nearest ATRA shop. Let me know which one it is as I personally know many of them.http://www.atra.com/shopfinder?transmission

J. Larry Bloodworth Certified TransmissionsDraper, Utah 84020801-656-2794www.certifiedtrans.com
  • We bought a 2011 touring edition odyssey in May 2011. In august we starting to notice that the car bucks when shifting through the lower gears from a stopped position. we reported this issue to Honda on september 20th. the service manager and the service tech drove the car and corroborated the issue. Service "scanned" the car, to send to Honda Tech service. now after 2 months of reporting this issue, Honda sends a letter offering 1 months payment is=n exchange for us "releasing and forever discharging American Honda and its agents and related corporations or entities, from any an all damages or claims arising out of the drivetrain issue." I am preparing a case for the attorney general. oes anyone have or kow about this issue? what support ahve you received. Our satisaction with this purchase is less than adequate. Oh and did I mention that we have purchase SIX cars from this dealership and also have been bringing our cars there for service for 10 years!?
  • I don't know about the 2011, but there has been several issues with the ODY transmission in years past. In fact, Honda lost a $90 million class acction judgement for just this issue. I would not sign anything releasign them. That seems like a slap in the face by them to even suggest that but based on my interaction with Honda in trying to get mine repaired they told me to take a hike. Be sure to tell your stroy on the Honda ODY facebook page. You might gain some addtional insight there.
  • Finally someone who can"duplicate" the problem. We bought our touring in march. Ours has the same issue under medium to hard acceleration. It's especially bad on roads with an incline. It's also worse when the engine and trans are cold. I have told the service rep. A tech rode with me and my friend who sold it to us. The tech didn't notice anything. Going see the service manager 11/11. Hopefully the van performs with the flaw.
    I'll post what happens.
  • While I have an added aftermarket transmission cooler on my 2002 do any of the models from 2005 to 2012 have the coolers as standard? I know it's a standard on the Sienna.
  • I will be interested to see what happens at your appointment. You hit the nauil on the head that it is more pronounced when the engine and tran is cold and while accelerating on an uphill. I have been told many times that Honda is investigating this and that it is top priority. I was also told by a distric service manager that there are about 80 confirmed vans with this issue across the US.
  • My 2002 Odyssey EX-L transmission died at 111,000. Under the recall, Honda just added the oil jet in 2005, at around 36,000. I called Honda and they said they would offer no remedy. What did you do to get some recourse?
  • Okay......I am having the same problem with my 2001 honda transmission, replaced at 111,000 miles and now it needs another one at 174,000 miles!! only 63,000 miles!! I have record that I took it in one year after they replaced that it was having problems when going down and hill, breaking, then accelerating it would slip, rpms would increase until it catches!! That something was wrong. They said they could not find any thing wrong, well here we are today with tranny failure!! They are trying to tell me that since I did not replace tranny fluid every 30,000 miles that is why I have tranny failure..........BS. Do you have any advice??
  • Well, the van performed the shifting issue, if only a little, with the service manager driving. The only thing he could say was he will report it to Honda and let me know if they send out a fix. I'm happy enough that it is in the system for my van. Whether Honda will fix it remains doubtful.
  • I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey who had to have the transmission replaced at 70,000 miles, a new engine at 140,000, power steering pump, etc. It has been a "lemon" and will never, ever buy a Honda AGAIN!
  • I have a 2011 Odyssey Touring that is currently in the shop (3rd Day) with trans problem. After sitting overnight, my trans does not engage as it should when the car is placed in reverse. You can actually rev the engine with the trans in reverse as though the trans were in neutral. Then after a few seconds the trans engages and works ok, until the next morning. Dealer was able to duplicate the issue this morning. They are keeping the car over night and will repeat the test tomorrow with the trans hooked to the computer and see what the read out says. Disappointing for such a pricey vehicle.
  • vgervger Posts: 30
    I have an Odyssy 2000 with a 3rd rebuild tranny. each time only lasted 60,000 to 70,000 miles. This last time it acted up (P0740) not engaging at first when put into drive, or shfting erractic from 3rd to 4th, I decided to clean the two tranny upper solonoid screen filters (per searching for answers on the net) and changed trans fluid (3.5 quarts) and no more slipping or acting up for 37,000 miles. Started slipping again, cleaned them again and changed fluid and again fixed the problem with 27,000 miles so far. Six bolts holding one solonoid and three bolts on the other. You need to remove the upper radiator hose and unplug four electrical connectors. First time doing the job, took me four hours. Seems to me, first sign of slippage or harsh shifting, clean these two solonoids and change your fluid before damage to the bands and clutch plates.
  • donethat_1donethat_1 Posts: 66
    edited November 2011
    Be sure to share your experience on Honda's facbook page. www.facebook.com/hondaOdyssey
  • Be sure to share your experience on Honda's facbook page. www.facebook.com/hondaOdyssey