Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Brakes

Comments

• I have a similar problem with 2002 Sienna. Brake, ABS, and Tire Pressure Lights are on but so far everything seems to work, nothing feels different. It's Saturday night. I will be bringing the car in to the dealer first thing Monday. I already told my wife if there's anything wrong with the ABS we're looking at $Ks instead of just hundreds.
  • I have a 1999 Sienna and had grinding rear brakes. I replaced the rear shoes and now the brakes are spongy. They did not act that way before, they had just started a grinding noise. The brakes perform better after pumping them once or twice, but seconds later they go nearly to the floor with little stopping power.
    I have tried setting the emergency brake while moving slowly (as a friend suggested) with no effect.
    Would the wheel cylinders need to be replaced as well? Do the lines need to be bled? (The lines weren't fooled with).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I would bleed the lines, for sure. That should probably have been done when the new drums were installed.
  • jojoajojoa Posts: 1
    I have a 99 toyota sienna the right rear drum break is sticking and making alot of noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me that the drum is out of circle and glazed so they machined the noised dissapear for a while. Now it's back when I touch the left rear drum is cool to touch but the right is hot. When I slow down to stop I can hear the right rear rubbing but when I opened it up it looks ok. Any advice on why only the right rear is hot and not both rear drum
  • I have seen a couple of posts on this forum about the finish bubbling up due to corrosion on the rim. I have a 2004 Sienna XLE and am experiencing this problem on all four rims. I talked to my dealer and they blamed it a cleaner or something I applied to the wheel rim. This sounds absurd to me and was wondering if someone has reached any solution from Toyota on this issue.
    I don't think a wheel finish would be covered under anything but the 12 month adjustment period. Even the 3/36k warranty would not cover that.

For painted items it has the rust all the way through, for instance, for a manufacturer to cover it.
  • Just wondering what kind of noise you are hearing. I have a 99 sienna & when I brake, there is a thumping or clicking sound. The dealer told me I need new axles, but spoke to some friends & they don't believe axles would go out.
  • I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna and the brakes were replace last April. I took the van to the dealership for some work today and they told me the brakes were worn out again. I told them that this has to be a problem with the design or mechanics of the brake system. They said it was driving habits. My wife drives using only one foot on the pedals. I had a friend replace the brakes the last time and he worked on Toyotas in Arizona and know works on Mercedes, and he told me there was nothing wrong with the brake system (including the calipers and brake booster). This is a problem with the pads or design os the brake system. I am checked some forums online and have discovered that other people are having the same problem. You may want to file a complaint with the NHTSA. I will be filling a complaint and I am going to contact Toyota Corporate regarding this.

T
    That does seem like excessive wear.

Did they change the front and rear pads?

The rear pads could wear prematurely if she left the parking brake on by mistake, I suppose.

The fronts should last longer than 8 months unless she drives 10 times as much as normal.
  • :cry: Hi, I'm just a new driver and today while pulling out of the parking lot, I forgot to release my parking brake and drove for like 30-45 seconds. I turned it off immediately after the said period as soon as I realized it. Mine is 2005 Toyota Sienna LE and my question is what harm will it do to my car? Afterwhich my hubby used the car and said that its running smoothly, no sounds with the brakes or whatsoever, but I just want to know what happens to the car when this things happen?
    Don't worry, that's not enough time to do serious harm.

You'll basically have a little extra wear on the rear brake pads.

Have the rear brakes inspected at your next oil change, I bet they'll be fine. This is a heavy van so the pads don't usually last that long anyway.
  • thank you so much for the info, well after this incident before I drive I check on the parking brake light and make sure it does not happen again. :)
    I'm the other way around - I some times forget to set the parking brake when I park (though I park on level ground).
  • That's precisely the reason why I forgot to release the parking brake, I dont usually use it on level ground, but on this particular case I was parked downhill. My husband was making fun at me, saying that how can I forget the parking brake, well I could say that if there's one thing I'd do the least, its driving.
  • Hi, did you ever figure out what was causing that noise? I have had an intermittant thump when i use my brakes. It sounds like it is coming from the rear and that someone is kicking the underside of the van.
  • The Toyota dealer that I recently brought my van into said it was due to the drums & I could upgrade to the newer heavier style to eliminate the noise. I would probably run around $600 to replace & the service guy thought it was an expensive fix just to get rid of the noise. I asked him to check with the technician to make sure it wasn't any safety issue & that the brakes would work fine & he confirmed it that they are fine.
    One other odd note - they technician cleaned & adjusted the brakes & the noise was gone for about a week, but now it's back. If it get's too annoying I may bite the bullet & replace them, but I'm almost at 100,000 miles so not sure I want to throw too much money into it.
  • My 2001 Sienna, 86,000 miles, has been doing the same thing. Sounds like someone is kicking it underneath. Noise is loudest from driver rear side. I was thinking that it was New Orlean's bad streets having damaged something. The whole underside of my car sounds like it is going to rattle off now. I am diligent about getting my car serviced, so this has me thrown for a loop.
    Will find out tomorrow from the dealership.
  • I own a 2004 Sienna with 70,000 miles. The ABS automatically engages when the vehicle is driving forward at more than 5 mph despite perfect driving conditions (dry ground, tire pressure). This is preceded by a beeping noise and VSC dashboard indicator. The Toyota service department has informed me that the ABS power unit needs to be replaced at a cost of nearly $3,000.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions as to other possible causes? It seems that all of my Toyota problems have been big ticket items. I trust that the dealer did it's due diligence.....?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Your Toyota service department appears to be out to lunch, or someone's child's college tuition is due.

There are only two sensors unique to VSC, the stearing wheel rotational position sensor the the yaw sensor. There is a procedure, a driving procedure, for recalibrating both. Have the dealer do both with you along as a passenger and if that doesn't work you either have a failed, failing, VSC sensor.

The VSC system is designed to detect when the vehicle is not following the direction set by the position of the stearing wheel. So the VSC system either "thinks" the vehicle is turning when it shouldn't be or isn't turning when it should.
  • Almost identical experience with 2004 Highlander recently. Had to drive car to dealer on back streets at 3-4 mph entire way or ABS would activate. Problem arose suddenly, no previous indicators that something might be wrong. In my case, dealer cleaned the VSC wheel sensors and recalibrated the computer for $380. There is a toyota bulletin BR008-04 cited on the repair ticket, but I don't know where to find details. Hope this helps you or others with this problem.
  • hogsettmhogsettm Posts: 2
    I had the same exact experience. I had a guy do the back brakes for me and when I got the van back the emergency brake went to the floor...the guy told be the cable needed to be replaced which I thought was odd since it wasn't to the floor before that and with new pads in the back it should have been even tighter. So I drove the van home and the brakes were very spongy and weren't stopping worth a darn. It was dangerous. I called the guy a few days later and told him the emergency brake wasn't holding and the van wasn't stopping even with the pedal to the floor. He said bring it back and he would check it out. He said the pedal going to the floor was probably the master cylinder so he replaced that and that didn't help one bit so I took it back to him and he said he would look at it. When I got the van back the emergency brake cable was magically fixed and the van stopped a whole lot better but I still couldn't get the van to stop quickly or enter a skid to where the ABS would start kicking in. I'm still having problems to this day. I'm orering some new Akebono Ceramic brake pads to see if that will help.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Don't know if bdkny2001 ever read your post. Curious as to whether he paid $3,000 like the stealership quoted (appropriate term under these conditions), or the $300 gibson paid, per below your post.
  • khfvtkhfvt Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 AWD Sienna.
    Last april the brakes started to pulse. When I slowed at highway speeds (as entering an exit ramp) there was a pulsing in the brake pedal. I brought it in and was told I had mud in the tires. They cleaned out the tires and things were better.
    This spring I had a flat tire and when I brought it in for repair I was told that the rear brake pads were shot and it was "metal on metal." They replaced the pads.
    I had not heard any warning squeal.

Now, a few weeks later, the pulse is back in the brake pedal. It mostly happens when slowing down on the highway. There is also a very faint whine when I accelerate at slow speeds, and I am not sure that is related.

Any thoughts?
  • xmas99xmas99 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new here. Just wondering if there's any update on this??? My wife's 2001 Toyota Sienna LE (120,000+ miles) has had this issue for a couple of months already and the technician couldn't figure out what's wrong with it. Thank you!
  • HI ,
    I ahave the same problem with only one difference. When the car is drivin more than the 5 mph and the ABS start to apply the brake, only the slip light and a sound come on.
    Do you guys think it is the same ABS problem or this is different ?
    thanks in advance for your help
  • This is the exact problem I have.
    I have 2004 AWD SIENNA. A week ago, when I started the car in a freezing morning and drove in subdivision road, the slippery light and beep came on and the break acted here and there on the wheels. At the very beginning, I thought the road was slippery. But it was not the case. There was no way my van was skidding all the time. I was only driving at 10 MPH. Then I realized the VSC was wrongly activated. Whenever I get to more than 10MPH, VSC got activated and broke the speed down to 5 MPH. I could only drive at 5MPH without getting VSC activated.

Then I realized I could not drive this van on the road. I parked it back in garage. The next day, my wife drove it out of the garage and got the same symptom. We put the van back to garage for another 3 days before I was about to call a tow truck to tow it to a dealer for examination. I tried it again. Miraculously, the problem went away.
    I went to the dealer and talked to the service adviser, he said he knew nothing about the problem (recall etc.) and asked me to bring the van back for service once the problem happens again.

I have to correct the title of this thread. It was not the ABS (When break peddle pressed, break pulses when wheel blocks, no light or beep in this case) that was activated, it was VSC (slippery light and beep comes on, break activates). It was not traction control either (only light will come on, no beep). All three features are controlled by the same module.

My van appears to be working correctly now, but I dare not drive it far away from home. I know the problem is not gone. It will come back at the most inconvenient time. I do not want to be stranded in a snow storm at -30 degrees F that I can only drive at 5MPH (That is what the weather is like here in Chicago at this time of the year). I do not want to be thousand miles away from home when the problem happens again.

I read someone wrote that the dealer cleaned wheel sensors and recalibrated the system and got the problem fixed. I went under my van and inspected the 4 speed sensors (The only sensors that are exposed to the outside). I did not find visible unusual dirtiness, snow, ice etc.

I would be more than happy to get the VSC feature disabled when it false activated so that I could drive the van to the dealer instead of getting it towed, or I could drive home. VSC is just a nice to have feature, not essential to the van. I have been driving a car with no ABS, Trac control, VSC for more than 10 years. The dealer and Toyota 800 number told me there was no way I could disable VSC.

I did some reading and found there were 2 VSC related relay blocks in the fuse box under the hood. They have "VSC MSR" and "VSC Fail" printed on them. I tried to remove one of them and then both of them. The ABS and VSC light passed the start up test and went off. They come on once I drive for about 50 feet. Now the van can drive without ABS and VSC. Mission accomplished.

After I put the VSC relay blocks back and drive for about 50 feet, both ABS and VSC light went off. The ABS and VSC are back again.

I have to make a disclaimer even thought I am not claiming anything. You do whatever you do to your car/van at your risk. I am not telling you what to do. I am just sharing what I think I would do when the problem occurs.

After I found out how to disable VSC, I drove my van 200 miles away to Wisconsin Dells for 3 days. It made the round trip no problem.

I have to be cautious to see when my Sienna will fail again.
  • I have my 1st front brakes done on 2001 sienna with 175K miles about a month ago. The rear brakes are still original (abt 2mm left) and I'm also getting the same break sticking problem. This happen only on high speed. I brought it back to dealer's service dept and they could not figure out the problem. They want me to recreate the problem but this happen randomly. Any suggestions?
  • flush the brake , change the oil, May be this will fix it. I had the same situation and after they flush the brak it worked fine since then.
  • The digital clock went out on on my 2002 Toyota Sienna. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Anyone have any sugestions on what else it could be?
    I had that issue with a previous car and it was cracked solter. I used a soltering iron, removed the clock and just re-soltered the cracked connection.

You may want to look for something like that.

Could also be the bulb but when you are in there you'll know.