Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Ok I just sent it a couple of minutes ago you should see it shortly.
  • paul77paul77 Posts: 6
    Thanks, You might have saved me a lot of time and money. Thanks for all the time!!
  • At 10,000 miles I was informed by service mgr that my rear tires were down to the wire, so land rover replaced them under warranty as they had factory allignment issue. they put the new ones in the front and rotated the front ones to the back. Then at 20,000 miles, I complained about horrible tire noise. The rear tires were cupped. I tried to get land rover to pay for replacement but no luck. So I payed for it, but now at 28,000 miles same problem again. These are new tires so I suspect that this is an allignment problem STILL! anybody have any suggestions?
  • jweaver2jweaver2 Posts: 4
    I had the worst luck with Land Rover. I even sent a written complaint to Land Rover of America. They did nothing! So I went straight to BMW and traded it for an X3. It's smaller but I love it! I must admit that I miss my LR3 but I do not miss the hassle. Good luck with everything!
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    What brand of tires did you buy?

I am at 16,500 miles. My rear tires are worn much more than the front. Since there is such a disparity with the rear tires it has to be something with how the car settles, aligns or whatever (discussed on here ad nauseum!). I hope Land Rover develops a better solution. The LR3 is too great of a vehicle for this problem to be present and affecting so many. I do go off road a bit for some wildlife conservation work i do (once a week and longer trips three times a year). I wouldnt take an X3 X5 or anything else with me. Even with the tire issue this is the only vehicle that i can pick up a client in and handle some of the terrain and weather i am in year round.

LR still has to fix this problem however!
    I don't remember the exact model but they were Goodyears. The same brand that came on the vehicle when I bought it. Apparently, Goodyear knows that it is a LR problem. They told me that the standard tire that comes on the vehicle cannot with stand the weight of the car. I just got tired of dealing with it and the service dept. wans't pleasent or willing to take care of the problems.
    Can I ask what dealer you go to? Ive been told the same thing, that the GY tire is not a good solution for this vehicle.

I wonder if anyone on this board has had experience (miles) with either the Nitto Grappler or Michelin Syncrhones. Those are the two suggested replacements.
    Land Rover of Richmond in Midlothian, Virginia.
  • dbregmandbregman Posts: 4
    I replaced the stock GY for the Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/60/R18) - so far I love them.
    How many miles do you have on the Nittos' ? how is the ride on road (i know those are good off road tires)? Thanks
  • dbregmandbregman Posts: 4
    I have about 500 miles on them (all on road I am sorry to say)! :cry:

They are as quiet as the GY and handel well - I can not wait to take them off-road.
  • I replaced the rear tires with basically the same GY's as it was my understanding that this was a factory alignment issue. But c'mon 8000 miles and the same problem? Are GY's THAT bad? This has got to be something with the LR3 alignment that is still not resolved. I'm taking it up with the service manager and next land rover america. I'm starting to get fed up. I've had so many problems including the gas tank recall. I'm not ready to dish out more money for new tires after 8000 miles!
    Ive been reading a bunch of reviews online, mostly by users and it seems that the GY are that bad. A tire guy told me if I had rotated every 5K i would have gotten more out of them. I rotated 2x in 17K miles. the rear are legally bald as of today.
    Does anyone know if the Michelin Synchrone tires come in the size for an LR3 with the 18 inch wheel? I am getting mixed information on the web.
  • dnrpolldnrpoll Posts: 1
    Anyone even considering an LR3 should check out this link. Click on complaint blog. I own one and wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy!!!

http://www.landroverclassaction.com/pages/blog.php
    Well i guess reporting good news is warranted as well.

I am at 18,500 and have not had major (or minor) problems except the tire issue. Two rear tires were just about legally bald at 17500. I paid $650 or so for four new Michelin Latitude 4x4 tires through the Dealer. (they retail i think at 240 a piece or thereabouts); i spoke with about 6 or 7 tire people at different tire dealers and some friends who are in the auto business. I heard the same thing over and over. Rotate at 5K miles - or every 5K and expect the Original Equipment tires to last just under 25K;

Other than that the vehicle is great. one minor issue with a noise from the AC when it goes on and off but its fixable according to the dealer. I didnt expect a perfect vehicle from Land Rover. I am used to that. If you want a perfect vehicle get a toyota or a honda with all its gray plastic and foamy seats! I dont want a toyota or a honda (but i agree they are perfect from the standpoint of maintenance and lack of problems). The rest of the vehicles on the market of any kind all have problems according to the history of message boards from other cars makes manufact etc.

I planning on getting my 3rd Land Rover soon and will probably get a 4th in two years as well.
  • hmfighmfig Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2005 LR3 with 22,000 miles on Friday, not from a LR dealer. It's our 1st LR. Two people have commented that the back tires look like they aren't sitting straight. I started reading this forum to see what I could find out and now I'm freaked out! My tires look brand new and they are Kumho Solus. Does anyone have these or know anything about them? I'm not familiar w/them. So what's the bottom line? These trucks have an alignment problem and an original tire problem? And I need to have the tires rotated every 5k? I'm wondering if we should buy something else w/out so many problems...
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    Well, I just had my 22,500 mile free vehicle service -complete with a wash & detail, and a free loaner to drive ! I'm totally happy with Land Rover and the LR3. My tires are 60% worn and I've rotated twice. The brakes are still good too and I've had NO problems to complain about ! The same was true for my 2000 DII - it was perfect as well ! That is NOT something I can say about the Mercedes', BMW or Toyota's I've had (9 Benzes, 5 Toys, 1 BMW and numerous other vehicles). They were all nothing but problems - but not the LR's.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    For optimum wear you should rotate the tire on any car every 5-7k miles. The LR3 weighs over 3 tons once you load it down with a couple of passengers and cargo so it is going to wear tires down faster then most other vehicles in its class. What is the tread wear raiting on the Kumhos?

You can call a LR dealer give them your VIN and ask the TSB regarding rear tire Camber/Caster needs to be done.

Edit:

Which type of Solus model tire was it? Just glancing at the different kinds avaliable on Tire Rack I don't think any of them have the load rating sutiable for the LR3's mass. None of the ones that show up on tire rack are avaliable in size 17 or 18 though so maybe yours are different.
  • hmfighmfig Posts: 3
    They are Solus KH15, 255/60R18 108H. I know nothing about tires so I dn't know if they are the right ones for the LR or not, but I guess I need to find out!