Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Hmmhh I can't find any US specs for that tire. Are you in Canada or something?
  • hmfighmfig Posts: 3
    No, I'm in the US. I looked for it on the Kumho site and they are listed if you search for tires under the size tab. But there wasn't much info. I'm wondering where these tires came from. Maybe they are a discontinued model or something. I just made an appt w/the LR dealer for Thurs to check out everything. I have a couple other minor things to get fixed. Can a normal tire place rotate and align this truck or does it require something special from the dealer?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I think you are right they must be discontinued tires. Ask them to make sure they are up to the load raiting required for the LR3.

As to rotate and alignment any good tire shop should be able to do it provided they have the newest equipment.
  • doug213doug213 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 LR3. The 4 tires on the vehicle started to wear around the 24000km mark. Al;l four tires need replacing. When I first heard the noise I took the vehicle into the dealer. They said right away that I need a wheel alignment. It seemed odd that they new the problem so quickly. When I asked if it was common the service person backpedaled and said no it is just probably that. After. Before I( went back to the dealer I researched the issue on the internet and found it is a very common problem. After confronting the service person upon my return he eventually said it does happen from time to time but that it was the Goodyear tires. If I switched brands the problem would go away. He also said that the dealer now recommends alignment inspections every 12,000 km's. Nice to tell me that now after the first set of tires are ruined. I sent an e-mail to Land Rover Canada explaining the situation. The person who was checking their e-mail accidentally replied instead of forwarding the e-mail. Her comments were "here is another one the same issue!!! After replying back to her she quickly tried to cover her tracks. Land Rover Canada was very polite and called the dealer but would do nothing to stand behind the vehicle. You bought you own it it's your problem and the dealers problem. They again said the alignment should be checked every 12,000 km's. My opinion was if they new this why are the owners not advised? I would prefer to pay $50 to have the alignment checked rather than having to buy new tires every year! It dissapoints me that a company like Land Rover does not support it's customers.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    At LR Mission Viejo, they paid for 50% - put on a new set of Michelins. I talked to tire people and they all said rotate every 5,000 miles. I am going to do that and not expect more than 25K at best given the wieght of the vehicle.
  • gillzgillz Posts: 15
    I have a 2007 HSE with 8000mi. Also go to LR Mission Viejo (Calif) and took the opportunity to request tire rotation/balance at the same time as the 7500mi service. LRMV suggested full wheel alignment at the same time and said that the suspension can change as it 'settles in' causing premature tire wear...
  • mmac1mmac1 Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 LR3 with 24000 miles. At 22000 I took it in and was told my back tires were bald on the inside. Apparently, the back end is very suseptible to going out of alignment because of the weight. I was told by the dealer there is nothing to do here and I paid for a new set. I would say that yours are new tires because the previous owner had the exact same issue. I saw another LR3 going down the road and the tires bend in at the top when this happens. So I would absolutely take it in and I would bet you a new set of tires your alignment is out just like mine was. So I am now selling mine too. Want to buy another one? I loved mine, but I do take mine off road sometimes. Nothing serious but like my fishing trips etc. What really drove me over the edge was LR NA and the response from everyone. I kept getting told " this is a heavy vehicle and the alignment goes out when you hit thing". I said, "I bought a Land Rover, not a car, so I could take it off road. Now you tell me that every time I go off road that I run the risk of having to pay $300 for the alignment to get fixed?" I made a huge deal and they paid for mine, but they say it isn't a warranty item. So if the wheels go in towards the top, you have a problem and get it in soon....

Feel free to email me, I can give you dealers etc....

I am looking for something else, I loved it but not enough to worry about whether it can get me where I need to go.

Mark
  • oablokhinoablokhin Posts: 1
    I have 2005 LR3 HSE. Dealer told me that I need to replace two rear tires because alignment wasn't correct on the car. At that time, I only had 19K miles on it. it costs me about $700. I have contacted LR of USA and asked for reimbursement which they didn't approve. After that I called BBB Auto Line and opened a case for the above problem. LR didn't want to resolve it, so we went for arbitration which i won and got all my money back.
  • nesuvnesuv Posts: 10
    Just wanted to give everyone an update on my 05 HSE. At 20,000 I had my Goodyears replaced with Michelin Synchrones. A world of difference as the Goodyears were so loud I could not bear. I had LR rotate the tires @28,000 (why they didn't do alignment at that time is beyond me)and now at 34,000 I started hearing some noise again. I took it back to the tire place yesterday and the front alignment was way off. When they were done, I noticed that the vehicle was lowered. They must have accidentally lowered it while sifting through my change for quarters! I made them check the alignment at normal height and indeed the front was out of spec.
    My advice is to have alignment checked at all 3 levels. The specs are wide enough that if done properly it will vary but remain within spec. It needs to be perfect, like leveling one of those front load washing machines I just bought.
    Hope this helps :)
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Posts: 6
    Taking our 05 LR3 in for 45k service this week. Overall, ours has been a truly excellent performer - though, like most on here, tire life is short compared to more pedestrian SUVs.

Question: does any have an opinion about rotating front to back (same side) vs crossing the tires left rear to right front etc.?????

David
    St Louis
  • macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    O.K. let's compare some numbers, my 2006 LR3 with orig tires and 25,000 miles had the following before realignment and new set of Michelin 19's put on (oh, and now my low coolant light is on as the temp is near 100F but at least I'm not leaking coolant and the level is fine) :

Front left Front right
    -0.5 Camber(range -1.3 - 0.3) -0.9
    3.9 Caster (3.9 - 4.9) 4.1
    -.21bad Toe (-0.17 - 0.00) -0.17

Total Front

Cross Camber 0.4 (-0.8 - 0.8)
    Cross Caster -0.1 (-0.8 - 0.8)
    Total Toe -0.38bad (-0.33 - 0.00)

Rear Left Rear Right

-1.3 Camber (-1.8 - 0.3) -1.3
    0.11 Toe 0.00 - 0.17) -0.13bad

Total Rear

Total Toe -0.02bad ( 0.00 - 0.33)
    Thrust Angle 0.12bad (-0.10 - 0.10)

Cheers,

MC
  • jboiterjboiter Posts: 4
    hi guys. new to the forum. the wranglers on my 06 lr3 started cupping on the back at 13k. i took it in 3 times this summer, and each time was told "it was still within spec". now i've got 18k, just came back from hilton head, and have flat spots on the inside rear.

has anyone heard any more about the class action suite in calif. over this?

i just want to get rid of the noise. any other tires wearing better on this model? love the car to death, but the wa-wa is getting to me!!!
    jb
    If the wear is extensive they should do some % replacement. Call the Land Rover customer service desk and talk to the GM at the dealer. I did get a 50% deduct on a new set of michelins. very quiet and seem to be wearing correctly
  • I have a 2006 LR 3 same issue with noise at 12,000 miles. Dealer will do nothing and Land Rover USA said Goodyear is responsible and not them. It is an alignment issue. Alignment fron the factory, toe in is incorrect causing the excessive wear and cupping that leads to the noise.
  • lja3lja3 Posts: 1
    New to this forum, but wondering what you finally selected as a replacement for your LR3?

I currently own a 2005 LR3 HSE which after a $3K repair (full brake & tire replacement) at 24.5K mi am very dissapointed with both my dealer and LR North America. (Yes, they were the Goodyear factory tires). Went through the Service Manger (did nothing except sit on the issue for 6 weeks)and 'Customer Care' at LRNA... but truly just a waste of time.

My story is similar to so many folks here - very appaling to spend ~$60K w/ no recourse even though I know all about the TSBs in October about the alignment/brushing issue and even the one in April '07 with the tire reimbursement brackets. My dealer, whom I foolishly trusted, has been most underhanded and uncooperative. (Won't bore you with the details, because it's all been said before.) :(

So - I'm planning on replacing my LR3 with something more safe and dependable and which has more than 1 dealer in a 40 mile radius. I've contacted the class action folks, NHTSA, and planning to follow up with the BBB. It is absolutely ridiculious the way LR is treating their customers.

:mad: :lemon:
  • I just brought my LR3 in to get roof rails and mentioned how my tires were going bald on the inside of the rear. Well wouldn't you know I need an alignment and a new set of tires on the rear. The service dept. said that LRNA won't do anything after 20,000 miles, (i am at 20,500) but the dealer will pay for one tire at $350 a pop! plus an alignment at $130. I am now educated as to this problem and a bit distressed. This is my fifth LR, (1 disco, 3 disco series II and my new LR3) and this is the first difficulty. I am looking at 2 other tires and having them installed and aligned by someone other than the dealership. Continental Cross Contact UHP which is used for the range sports, and the Avon Tech ST which has some very good customer reviews by Tirerack. Anyone have any new experiences or recommendations on waht to do? As far as I can tell I do not want to keep these goodyear wranglers on my truck.
    Thanks in advance for all comments. :confuse:
    I asked around on this one (Tire folks at Big O and Discount Tire and some tire guy who used to do SUV tires at a similar store and given the wieght of the car and your mileage none of this is out of the ordinary. Expensive and annoying yes. I certainly was surprised after driving a Disco with its Michelins for 40K miles without any issue. That said the deal is on this car brakes and tires will go in the 25K range easily. Id still rather have a land rover after testing the competition. its as safe easily and far more interesting
  • Hi i read your blog on ur lr3 tires. I was wondering how the Michelins are doing now? I have a lr3 06' with the goodyears they are cupping at 12k...do they make the synchrones in a 18 inch tire?
  • hey thanks for the advice. i did take it back in, and let them look at it again. without asking, they came out and said they would put 2 new goodyear's on, no charge. i did pay for the 4wheel alignment. the only problem i see now is the tread pattern changed to the new wrangler. better looking for sure. we'll see how long they last. i'll probably need to get 2 fronts before too long. would you ever put your older rears onto the front, when you get new ones for the front? i've always replaced as a set... thanks again for the advice. jb
  • nesuvnesuv Posts: 10
    I've got about 20,000 on the Michelin Synchrones and so far no tire problems. I started to hear a little noise after around 10,000 so I brought it in to the tire place for rotation and the front wheels were out of alignment. When they brought it around I noticed the vehicle was lowered. I made them check the alignment again in the normal position and sure enough it was out. I believe the whole tire issue with LR3 may have something to do with the Goodyears not being good enough. But I also think the alignment plays a big part.