Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Pilot

toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
Has anyone seen or heard any rumor or facts related to the release of the 2008 Honda Pilot?

I wonder if there will be any big changes or just some minor tweaks?

Comments

• Recently read an article in Autoweek (I think thats it) that they are going to make the vehicle a bit better looking and that there are definitly some changes but early in the making...Good luck, I watch for news on it all the time...
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    The Honda Pilot is scheduled to get a FMC for the 2008 model year. Since the MDX was redisigned as a 2007 then Pilot should be 2008. MDX came out for 2002 or 2001, Pilot for 2003.
  • I have an 06 Pilot and love it. Logic and history dictates that the 08 will be based on the 07 MDX. If so, the 08 Pilot will be a great value(Honda's USP) and also will benefit from the engineers working out the bugs from the 07 MDX. I see no reason to pay extra $$ for the Acura logo.
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    I can't wait to hear something about this one. but I do not suspect we see anything until first in the summer similiar to the CRV.
  • my guess is the engine currently being used in the Acura MDX which is 300 hp. lets hope Honda works off regular unleaded - Acura uses premium.

for style my guess is to use the '07 CRV as an example - the back end won't be as boxy.
  • Just curious on people's opinions on waiting for the newly design 08 Pilots or buying the 07 Pilots.
    I purchased an 07 Pilot EXL AWD with Navi knowing that a new design will come out next year. My reason is that when the 08 Pilots roll out, prices will be MSRP with no negotiability. Also, new designs usually have problems that won't be corrected a couple of years later.
    Since the current Pilot debut in 2003, you can see how much it has improved as far as styling and amenities it now offers. Also, in 2003, Pilots were selling at MSRP.
    07 Pilots are selling below invoice with great financing being offer.
    I am sure 2008 Pilots will be nice but is it worth paying MSRP. You will be kicking yourself later when you see how the 2012 Pilots will offer when selling under invoice before another New Pilot debuts.
  • i would agree that the '08 will not come down much from MSRP until the snow has melted (spring of '08). As for the bugs in a new model I wouldn't worry too much. Acura has the engine and tranny out there in the market already and Honda doesn't have the reputation of sending their cars out as unreliable.
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    Personally I always stay on top of redesigns because it kills me to purchase a vehicle if it is several years old and the new redesign is about to come out. I keep my cars for a number of years basically rotating between 2 cars that we have for the family so we only ever have 1 car loan at a time.

With the massive improvements manufacturers make, how can one not wait, I think the overal improvements in styling, safety, and feature set more then makes up for the additional cost assocaited with getting a good deal at the end of Product lifecycle.
    Look at it like this as an example lets say you can get the car at a savings of $3000, but the new model will have more features, better features, is safer (honda doing new ACE structures), more fuel efficient, bigger, etc... is that worth the price difference...I guess it depends on the deal one gets as I heard some ridiculous deals on the Pilot at the end of the summer for $6000 off list...but if you keep the car for lets say 5 years, do you really want a car that came out designed 10 years before or one that is in fact only a 5 year old design.

Personally I think the Pilot is getting long in the tooth styling wise and generally I like the new designs Honda releases in the new model year. I mean I look at the new Mazda CX-9, Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia twins, not to mention the new Toyota Highlander is about to come out and I think they all look a lot better. So there will be a lot of competition in this segment, the landscape has changed dramatically from 5 years ago, where the Highlander was really the only true competitor to it and the Pilot was the only unibody SUV with a 3rd row. Thus dealers could get what they wanted.

If someone can wait until the new model has been out a year that is ideal as you can deal better. I do not worry about problems in the first year, especially considering it is a Honda, all these companies have gotten really good at quality control over the years.

B.
  • There have been numerous improvements made in-between vehicle redesigns. Some of them have been significant depending on the make and model. The manufactures need to look far ahead to what will be influencing the future automobile purchases. I expect most changes to the Pilot will be styling.
  • I agree with both the posts. I will wait for 2008 model to come and decide which way to go.

Honda needs to make its Pilot little more sharper in design; the current models is slightly (slightly) bulky. THE COLORS ARE HORRIBLE !!! But, I like the new CRV external color options. I own a 97 accord and 01 civic, and i say honda sucks in inside upholstry design and colors. Look at the seat color options Toyota provides on its sequoia and highlander. Cant hond provide any other internal color than the grey and beige ? It is like eating salad.

Why I still want to go far Honda, because i think their product is very reliable, but dull. I will compare the 08 pilot and highlander, and make up my mind. I hate to go and buy a non-honda product, but if I dont like it, then I will give a shot to highlander.
  • ukkoukko Posts: 23
    jeepvan, I agree with you on the dull design. Honda's thinking is too conservative. Then again, the Pilot is designed, space wise, for the north American size. For example, the Lexus midsize suv has the reputation of being for women. When you sit in it your head almost touches the roof. Nice and sporty, interior and all, but designed for the Japanese or women. I've got the 2006 Pilot, it is my second one, and the only color I could endure is silver. Hopefully, they will improve.

Cheers
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    Anyone consider the 2008 Pilot might come in two sizes? One the size of the current vehicle and one larger - say the size of a Ridgeline.

This gives them another SUV between the CR-V and full size Pilot while leveraging the Pilot Brand.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    jeepvan, I agree with you on the dull design. Honda's thinking is too conservative.

Maybe that'll change (even if they didn't set up shop in Nashville :P ).

Honda R&D Americas Opens New Advanced Design Studio in California (Straightline)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I disagree with those who thinks the current Pilot has a dull design and styling a bit conservative. I actually like it and just recently purchased a 07 Pilot EXL 4WD with NAVI. First of all, I hate the way the Lexus 330, Nissan Murano, Acura MDX, and Toyota Highlander are design. Personally, they are great to look at but not designed practical for everyday driving. I have sat in all those SUVs prior to my purchased and felt cramped in all those vehicles even at my size of 5'10" 175lbs. The average american are much bigger these days so those SUVs mentioned with the great exterior would probably be incredibly uncomfortable for everyday driving. The Pilot is designed practical with good interior space and a fun exterior. I would choose interior comfort anyday over a hot design.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I would choose interior comfort anyday over a hot design.

Well said...what do you think about the new Mazda CX-9, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave all coming out that offer a larger interior space than the Pilot? Even the current Ford Freestyle has more interior space than the Pilot, especially in and behind the 3rd row. You should go over to the Outlook forum because everyone there considers them to be far superior to the Pilot.
  • American SUVs never enter my equation on choosing for a new vehicle. I agree the American SUVs have improved but the stigma of poor quality and resale value still remain with lots of people I talked to.
    As far as the new Mazda CX-9, it is still too new to judge. I would agree it is a nice vehicle but give it some time so consumers can find fault with it sooner or later.
    Subaru Outlook vs. Honda Pilot, come on why should I look at a forum dedicated to the Outlook? Of course, the people there will say it is better. Why would you bash a vehicle in its own forum? Think about that....
    Well, I don't consider comparing and contrasting vehicles as "bashing." And the Outlook, Acadia, Enclave (and my Freestyle) are not SUVs but car based CUVs. I find that most forum are boring because it's just car owners bragging about their cars trying to justify their purchase. My main issue with the Pilot was interior space. If the Pilot was another 6" longer and added a couple of inches to the 2nd and 3rd row and rear cargo area, then it would really be a winner to me. But different folks have different priorities.
  • Why are you so concerned with the 2nd and 3rd row seating? I doubt you sit there often when you are, I assume, the primary driver? As far as rear cargo room, I flip the seldom used third row seating down to maximize the room back there. By the way, if you find most forums boring because of people bragging about their vehicles, so why do you read them and respond to them?
    Another thing, the Pilot must have interest you at some point that you even mentioned that it needs to be 6" longer.
    But like you said different folks have different priorities.
    Why are you so concerned with the 2nd and 3rd row seating?

Call me strange...but I'd think some folks looking for a 3 row vehicle actually use all three rows for adults sometimes.

And yes, when I was shopping around I did consider the Pilot among other vehicles.

And I respond to keep them lively ;)