Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• parvizparviz Posts: 484
    I think the other poster was right. From the hinges on top of the glass it looks like the glass opens up separately, which is great in that respect.
    "...Ask anyone who ever owned one..."

I used to have a Nissan Quest GXE with the wiper and never had any problem with that part (transmission, yes!), In either case, I think that would be a minor issue for anyone looking for a SUV.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    I still have a '99 GXE and the rear hatch doesn't open on mine. I always thought that an opening hatch window would be a nice feature but I'm really not sure if I've missed anything. Maybe a few head bumps. :shades:
    Mine was a 1995 and I thought the hatch was handy for quick drop of bags, etc. in the back. They must have changed the design to not let the '99 not open. But your are right, I did get a few of those head bumps! :)
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    I hope that after this date we do not need to guess any more about the beauties/ugliness of the 2009 Pilot. The comments and reviews will be for real. I hope to hear a lot so I could make a decision.

I wonder if I could unscrew the ‘H’ combination front badge, because it look just great without it.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Mine and my co-worker's Villagers had the rear wiper stop broken.
    By searching your local craiglist.org, and you will see many Villagers and Quests have the same issue. We are talking about a 10+ year old Villagers and Quests here. Apparently, not all have that problem.
    See one here:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/638709063.html
    (the picture at the top-right)
    It's a 1997 Villager (twin-brother of Nissan Quest)
    Keep looking, and you will see more.
    Of course, its a $200 repair, but a bad design, nontheless.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    All of those crossover SUV's look like mini-van's.

I could not disagree more. CUV's look nothing like mini vans, that is why they sell so well, and mini van sales are on the decline. Outside of the interior room advantage mini vans have, people just don't desire them as much as they once did.

The Pilot is a CUV trying to look like an SUV. However, I really don't see what it has that every other CUV out there does not have. Honda has had a few years to better their product, and from the looks of it, it does not look like it made many visual improvements. However, to be fair, I will reserve my final judgment until I drive one.
  • zack82zack82 Posts: 42
    The reason why Honda didn't do a CUV is because the market is clearly flooded with them. I still think they look like mini van's and drive like a car. Honda has the CRV, it has transcended into a small CUV imo. So, Honda chose not to release a bigger version and stuck with the Pilot. I guarantee that the reviews will be very good on this vehicle. If you didn't get a chance to see the prototype at an Auto Show, I think that your overall opinion will change.

I admit, that when I first saw the prototype, I wasn't crazy about it. But when I went to the Detroit Auto Show, I was really impressed with it in person. I can't wait to drive it. Unfortunately, the demand for this vehicle is going to be huge and Honda ever makes enough of a new model to go around.
    I have watched the video in which the product planner of Pilot talked about the selling points (or positioning) of the new Pilot are
    - utility (space, towing capacity)
    - MPG (6-4-3 VCM)

If those are what you need, I am sure the new Pilot will make you happy. Honda has never been strong on styling (saved S2000, and NSX).

Competitors are strong in the 3-row seat mid-sized CUV segment.
    GM Trio (+ Chevy Trasverse)
    Hyundai Veracruz
    Toyota Highlander
    Mazda CX-9

We all know that Ridgeline is not selling well. We shall see if a Ridgeline-styled Pilot will sell as well as the out-going model.
  • zack82zack82 Posts: 42
    Good points indeed!
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    vtec.net has the official Honda press pics posted. The look is slowly growing on me, and from certain angles and colors, the new Pilot doesn't look too bad.

I think the deal-killer for me is going to be the interior. The EX-L's dash looks cheap. Hopefully the materials are of relatively high quality, though it looks like a lot of hard plastic.

What I don't like:
    - too many empty spots on the dash. It's almost like the designers thought, "What should we put here in this empty spot...let's make it another open storage compartment." There's a big gaping hole in the center stack under the A/C controls, and empty bin to the right of the steering column, the empty bins above the glove compartment, and a bin under the multi-information display. It looks like the kind of dash you'd find in an economy car, not a $30K SUV.
    - gauges look cheap; I thought we moved away from the white-background-look of the 90s.
    - too many small buttons with small labels for the radio (just like the Accord)
    - rear view camera without nav is a good feature; however, I wonder how useful it'll actually be on the rear view mirror
    - center seat belt in the second and third rows come down from the ceiling. If left connected, it looks ugly. If left disconnected, that's one more step for the center passenger must do to buckle up. The Highlander's center belt is anchored to the seat itself. Much cleaner looking.
    - power rear door on the Touring model only
    - Bluetooth on the Touring model only
    - fuel economy doesn't look like it's anything special, even with VCM; slightly worse than the Highlander (but not by much), though with less HP and slightly more torque than the Highlander's 3.5L engine.

What I do like:
    - dark carpet, even with light seat upholstery; the contrast is nice and it should be easier to keep clean
    - USB port in the center console; not sure if that allows you to control an iPod, or if it's to load or play music from a USB flash drive, or something totally different. Also not sure if that's Touring and/or navigation only.
    - the Pilot's cargo room behind the third row actually looks usable. Plus, it's split, unlike the Highlander.

On paper, it doesn't seem like there's anything special enough about the '09 Pilot that would make me seriously consider it. I'll give it a once-over when they arrive at the dealerships, but I'm not very impressed so far.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    Lots of pics and details. I have to say I like this new model.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=755269
    I just browsed thru the info provided by Honda on the new Pilot.
    Look is subjective. You make your own judgement.
    I have owned MAZDA CX-9 (GT AWD) for two months
    and I did research into it. So, I made this
    comparison for those who are thinking about buying CX-9 or the new Pilot.

Pros: Pilot
    - active head restraint system - front seats
    - VCM (1mpg advantage over CX-9)
    - rear glass hatch (if you like it, I don't.)
    - ultrasound sensors - front/back
    - double-paned windshield
    - rear-differential lock (electronic)
    - hill start assist
    - towing 4500lb standard (1500/3500lb without/with tow package on CX-9)
    - door-integrated sunshade - 2nd row
    - larger moonroof (than CX-9)
    - better NAVI system (I owned an Odyssey - Honda's NAVI is the best)

Pros: CX-9
    - 3.7L engine 273hp/270ft-lb (3.5L 250/253 on Pilot)
    - 18"/20" wheels (17" on Pilot)
    - ventilated rear disk brake (solid on Pilot)
    - rain-sensing wipers
    - 6-speed transmission (5-speed on Pilot)
    - smart-key entry system
    - blind-spot warning system
    - turning circle 37.4ft (38.6 on Pilot - even being shorter and on shorter wheelbase)
    - gated gear shifter (dash-mounted straight shifter)
    - HID headlights
    - seat-on-rail system - easy to move seats fore/back (not sure about Pilot?)
    - longer roof rack (2/3 on Pilot)
    - auto up/down front windows (not sure about Pilot)
    - 1-piece 2nd row windows

Too many parameters in space data. I will skip them here.

BTW, I found CX-9 to have very few accessories provided by MAZDA and the market. So, adding accessories should be easier with Honda Pilot. Case in point,
    I have been trying to find a side step for CX-9 (for kids and older parents) and can't find any at all.

Anyway, hope this help you make an educated decision.
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Posts: 343
    http://automobiles.honda.com/2009-pilot/

All I can say: Honda Engineers overlooked one really important feature.....
    Amber turn signals on the rear lamp cluster.

This one fact alone, demonstrates to me, that Honda Engineers are sub-par.
    I personally like the boxy shape of the Pilot, its huge flat cargo area, its signal mirrors, its hand brake mechanism, its eight body colors, its 17” wheels, etc. These features cannot be changed in spite of all the disgruntled comments here. What matter at the moment is to find out when the 2009 Pilot will be for sale? How much is expected for the LX, EX, EX-L, and Touring (MSRP and Invoice)? What kinds of options are available? And so on.

Equally it is important to road test the Pilot. Videos showing the Pilot on gravel, snow, sand, mud and water are a must. Better pictures of the Pilot facia, of the front nose, of the rear, spare wheel storage.
    Will the 2009 Pilot be 5-speed or 6-speed Shiftable Automatic?
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    Hello,

So I scanned through the Honda Pilot mini-site. Was so looking forward to this car and when I saw the redesign I just could not get into the Pathfinder look, I feel they took a huge step back in the styling department and I love Honda's. We ended up buying a Saturn Outlook after test driving the usual crossovers (CX-9, 2007 Pilot, Highlander) and we really are pleased, looks great, drives well, is quiet/comfortable and has every option we could want. In fact seeing this info on the Honda Pilot has re-affirmed my purchase decision. I was thinking the Pilot would just blow away the Saturn interior and have much improved mileage, but in fact it does not. The mileage with all the tricks the great Honda engine has is not any better and the interior while solid does not blow me away.
    Somethings I like which I do not have is the USB port and the blinds on the side windows (which I think should be available on all cars IMO, especially sedans that do not have tint). But I would not trade those options for the dual sunroof in my Saturn which is an awesome and a huge selling point and the onstar which we have already used for unlocking the doors for our keys in our car. I can't believe the Pilot does not offer at least the dual sunroof. The split tailgate is nice but honestly I do not see ever using it when you have an auto liftgate.

Will the Honda Pilot be a solid vehicle, absolutely. But honestly I do not think it was a huge leap over the previous generation. I mean I think when they first introduced the Pilot what 6 years ago, it was leaps and bounds over everything else. Unfortunately, this Pilot does not make that jump, they really could have done something special and done some ground breaking stuff, including having some tricks to truly get some good mileage.

Just my thoughts,
    B.
    I respect your comments however I think you forgot that the Pilot has 5-6 years of reliability, 5-6 years of being the best middle-sized SUV in the USA while the Saturn Outlook or VUE their reliability is still to be tested. Reviews pointed out that the transmission in the Outlook can be slow to downshift and dashboard button aren’t user-friendly. The length of the Outlook is about 10” longer than the 2009 Pilot making the turning circle 2” longer than the Pilot. The ground clearance of the Outlook is 1” smaller than the Pilot. The 2009 Pilot is not just a crossover but a vehicle with capabilities from light to middle difficult off-road adventure.

Equally the approach and departure angle of the Pilot, i.e. 29/23o is greater than the 18/23o of the Outlook. The workmanship of the Pilot has no comparison. So although there are a few advantages of the Outlook, e.g. better horse power for the same size of engine and rear ventilated disc, I don’t see other advantages. A better ride is provided by the Pilot thanks to its Locking Differential Rear (low speed wheeling) and its sophisticated 4WD mechanism that make the Pilot the winner for 5-6 years. All these factors have encouraged me that I should buy a 2009 Pilot instead of an Outlook.

As far as the Nissan Pathfinder is concerned, I think that the Pilot looks much better than the Nissan. The rear of the Pilot could have some resemblance with the rear of the Nissan but that is all. You could say the same with the shape of the Kia Borrego but the general shape of the Pilot is unique. If you like the shape of the Outlook you could buy a Hyundai Veracruz. The Veracruz I think is a pretty vehicle but for me it looks a wimp SUV. If I would buy a SUV that it is not the Pilot I would buy the GMC Acadia. That look a proper SUV.
    batman47,
    After reading three to four reviews on the new Pilot, I (actually they) disagree with two things you mentioned.
    - The workmanship of the Pilot has no comparison:
    Actually they found the fit and finish of the new Pilot to be lacking. The center dash is too busy (personally opinion, of course)
    - its sophisticated 4WD mechanism:
    In fact, VTM-4 is one of the simple 4WD/AWD system on the road. It is beauty is actually its simplicity (unlike SH-AWD on MDX).

Read the reviews here:
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=755269