Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• nikbertnikbert Posts: 20
    what I find really strange is that Pilot 60-0 results were 149 feet and Ody (from an earlier Edmunds test) was about 131 feet. That just doesn't make sense to me, too much difference...
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Vehicles tested on different days on different pavements may create such discrepancy. This is not surprising. Therefore, you can only trust the relative distances of stopping among the three. Even that, take it with a grain of salt.

I recall that ConsumersReport tested CX9 at 159ft and proclaimed that CX9 under performed in stopping compared with others they tested. Magazine does screw up sometimes. Maybe they meant 139ft.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    2005 Pilot

Dry pavement 131'
    Wet pavement 157'
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    I took a liesurely, brief test drive of the Pilot and liked it. But a few years ago I test drove a Ford SHO with a typically lazy, but car-crazy salesman. Obviously had to drive it like an SHO. When we got back from the test drive the salesman said, "I didn't know that car could do that.". My intent was not to impress him, but find out if the new model was as good as my old one

Heh. I'll admit. I don't always go all out, but I always put my foot to the floor to test pick-up. And I always do quick lane changes. My worst was probably the 5 series I drove before I bought mine. But seeing that these cars would serve two differnet purposes, I could see leisurely driving a Pilot. It's a family chauler, not a car you take out for fun.
  • powder73powder73 Posts: 15
    Must be crazy to buy the 2009 Pilot. Cars always have bugs in the 1st year of production
    You know..i do prefer the i wouldn't buy a first year model to the must be crazy to buy the 2009. One imply you have a different opinion and the other that you are god and therefore know the truth and can judge other action..... :mad: oh and about the 8 seated passenger on the acadia it's my fault i was referring to the top model...as long as you stay on the basin model you'll find plenty 8 passenger option but none when you choose a higher model...i know this for a fact

I always buy first year model..did it with the odyssey,the sienna awd (first year ever toyota awd), the suburban 2007 and oh the vw passat.....and none..none and any problem...none. period. So before making comment on my mental stability maybe you should be happy some of us buy the first year model so chicken people can safely wait 1 or 2 year....

Back on the topic (sorry but i had to get it out)....after being gone for a week i fully test it yesterday doing a 5 hour trip...and i was simply amazed.....now it's purely personal...but for me the acceleration and braking was very good...in fact as good as i would expect. The hand free bluetooth system is out of this world....it.s a matter of pressing a button then telling the number and voila...done deal and the communicatio is clear from both side....amazing....gps is good...ok i didn't say super because i come from a garmin nuivi and to me it's the reference...right now the honda gps doesn,t have all the street the garmin has. I had to get use to the bird eye view but i like the fact that you can split the screen in 2 with all the turn on the right side so you can keep track in advance of what is coming....

The stereo system and quite frankly the best i had so far.....sound is crisp the subwoofer add a bang to the sound......the dvd player was a first ( i resist until now even if i have 4 kids...go figure i must be crazy) and so far it work pretty good...

Xm radio is standard altough it's very nice to be able to see everything on the navigation screen....talking about the nav screen i forgot earlier....the acadian had a touch screen but this one has a big dial button. Having tried both the dial is god given. In theory a touchscreen is faster and easier but in practice give me a big button anything....more so while driving...

hmmm..let see...oh yes the ipod connection is another very nice option....no more fiddling the ipod while driving...you can acces everything from the navigationnal screen..amazing...

So far i love the seat...very confortable yet they have a good firm support...handling is very good also..well to my taste.....the wheel feel stiff and the direction is crisp...coming from a van and a suburan let me tell it turn on a dime... :P

Lots of space..lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It's easy to seat the kids on the third row seat and when you do the 3 2nd row and 4th third row with the 60/split you have more then enough space to go shopping.

Anyway so far so good....during the trip i was at 10.7l/100km so for me it's better then the van (12.2) or the burb (16.6 ouch!!). Unlike the suburban this honda motor use the economical mode as soon as he can and you don'T even notice it...

Can't wait to try it on snow!!!!!!Love it so far!!!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I would totally buy a Honda its first year model run. Honda, is known for its great cars and backed with great service. Many of their new models still have the same parts, but different body. The Accord has been running quite well.

Another issue, is that the Pilot looks more like a Ford Escape now, and less upscale on the exterior than the previous model.Than you have a really nice interior, that does not match, the nice, but yet casual exterior. It seems as though Honda is really taking a lot of help from Acura, its co-company, especially when it comes to the interior.

Now, they need to offer hybrid technology for this car, it would work great, and people that need more than just a car, could use this, and get a world of difference in mileage. Now, only offer the option if it is not insanely high in price, otherwise financially it would not make sense. I am hoping the will offer the option on the Accord, which at some point, I feel they will, but they have to consider Toyota's decent pricing in the camry hybrid.

Now, you have to ask yourself, what can this car do, that the CR-V, which is much cheaper, cannot do.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Now, you have to ask yourself, what can this car do, that the CR-V, which is much cheaper, cannot do.

Seat eight!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Other than sits 8 ...

Remote Trunk/Tailgate Release
    -----------
    3.5L V6
    -----------
    Homelink Remote System
    -----------
    Tow Capacity: 4500-lb
    -----------
    roominess
    -----------
    Not Homelink remote.
    Anyone can buy a Gentex mirror and install Homelink remote on their vehicle.
    It is as good as OE mirror.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,984
    I always buy first year model

"Consumers often delay purchasing a model in its first year, waiting for the manufacturer to get the so-called bugs out," said Joe Ivers, partner and executive director of quality/customer satisfaction at J.D. Power and Associates. "Yet, the quality of most new-model launches is actually very good. Some manufacturers have virtually eliminated the launch-year quality drop-off. A few have even demonstrated a pattern of launching models with better initial quality than the models they replaced."

New/Redesigned Models Often Record Better Initial Quality Than The Vehicles They Replace, But Not in Every Case

I think the "Not in Every Case" refers to the rollouts at the Nissan Canton plant when it was new or maybe the supplier issues in Alabama at the Mercedes plant when it first opened.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

thank for that steve i tough has much and like i said i had zero problem so far with new model (when i mean new it's not the end of the first year model..more the first batch model)

oh and i know you'll call me crazy (someone already did :P )but i actually like the look of the pilot....maybe it's because i love truck in general but for me it's a beautiful car...inside and outside....but reading all the my-god-the-09 pilot-is -ugly i wonder if my eyes are ok..lol :blush:
    It seems as though Honda is really taking a lot of help from Acura, its co-company, especially when it comes to the interior.

And it seems Honda (Acura's PARENT company) is starting to be pulled down by Acura's ugly-wierdness. All of thier cars look goofy now (well, I actually like the new MDX). I do know one thing: If Honda ever, EVER tries some goofy styling on the Accord, the brand will TANK.
  • cabbqkingcabbqking Posts: 10
    Powder73,

How is the ride quality on the 09 pilot vs. your sienna awd? We have a 06 honda Odyessy, and I just test drove the 09 Pilot. It seems the Pilot is not "stuck" on the ground as the minivan. I am looking for a suv that is comfortable on the highway as we take a lot of trips with the kids.
    I am looking for a suv that is comfortable on the highway as we take a lot of trips with the kids.

Are you set on a Honda or would you be willing to look at competition like the CX-9 or Acadia?
    i can't tell you about the cx-9 we never tried it my wife didn't one period. But the acadia is another matter. I had one for a full weekend and we test about everything.About the ''stuck on the ground'' feeling maybe it's because the pilot has nearly double ground clearance then the odyssey. For me i drove a suburban so the pilot feel more to the ground...

I didn't like the acadia after comparing the pilot. It's the same as with the suburban. I like a stiff wheel with good response and didn't found that on the acadia...but to each is own....i recommend you go test it and see for yourself....go luck with your next car!!!

p.s: How many kids do you have.,...i have 4 so the pilot was the best option for me ..
  • cabbqkingcabbqking Posts: 10
    I have two kids, but sometimes we need the third row.

I tested drove the Pilot this past weekend. It is not as quite as I was hoping for. My biggest complaint (maybe only complaint agaist the Odyessy) is the road / wind / driving noise. It is loud. I don't know it is because of the design or the stupid run flat tires I have.
    Did you happen to have the cross-bars on the Pilot you test-drove?
    This is a problem to most vehicles with cross-bars.
    I know Odyssey did not come with them
    unless you bought it yourself. It seems to be standard on new Pilot.
    Tires could also be a factor if the noises come through the floorpan or window.

However, I am not gonna defend for Honda. All the Hondas I have owned were
    sort of noisy. 1999-2001 Odyssey was among the worst.
  • genethekgenethek Posts: 9
    There is a known issue with the cross bars. If they are installed backwards there is noise. Check with the dealer. This was a problem on a brand new 09 Pilot I just purchased and it was fixed and now it's super quiet.
  • zorcereszorceres Posts: 23
    Crossbars are an add-on on the 09 Pilot :(
    well like he say maybe the crossbar are backwards??? Because even at 130km/h i don't hear that much noise.....