Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    gg...absolutely nothing wrong with either the S2000 or the NSX....two very good cars that were RWD. Point I was making, with all the models in the Acura/Honda stable over the years, the vast majority of them have been FWD. That's where their expertise lies. Comparatively, their RWD design experience has been limited to those two models.

Now, they're expanding into the SH-AWD technology. That looks to be a good move, by most reports.

$39K will get you a "stripper" 335i. I've yet to see one of those, though....believe me, I've looked. Most 335is are well into the $40K range.

Hey, I'm a BMW lover and owner. You're kind of preaching to the choir with me. The IS, G and others have taken many shots at the 3 Series and still come up short. Acura has done the same.

Which brings me to my original statement....if the '09 TL does indeed sport 300 HP and SH-AWD, with the current feature content and keeps the price they currently sell for, they will have a nice sports sedan that competes with them on performance (at least on paper), but with a -15% price advantage over the IS350 or BMW 335i. The price advantage over the G will be smaller (not MSRP, but real world prices).

Found this tidbit....

http://www.autospies.com/news/New-Acura-Sedan-Prototype-Spy-Shots-18329/

Looks like the '09 TL gets the new Acura grill (although hard to tell with the camo). Interesting to note, Acura says they want all their cars to be SH-AWD and they want V8s. Should make for interesting discussion before the '09 TL hits the market.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Ya know, if I *ever* decide on buying a 3er, I would do ED and get a 335i stripper w only the sport package and a 6MT. Everything else would be useless. That should keep it below 40k ;)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    No leather, for a $40K car? :confuse:
  • willis3willis3 Posts: 76
    Infiniti G35 didn't fare too well in the low speed crash testing.

WSJ Article
  • johninnjjohninnj Posts: 243
    That should raise my INS symbol...thankfully it has a great safety rating...it's just profitable for the body shops.
    Neither did the TL.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    These low speed bumper tests only tell us what the cost would be to repair the cosmetic damage.
    If I get bumped in the rear bumper (leaving myself open with that comment), the cost will be on the driver who hit me and not on me, unless I back into something.
    Rearview camera and a brain help to avoid these types of accidents.

The fact is that the TL and the G both have very high grades in real crash tests, and the G holds the title for the least amount of fatalities.

It may cost a few bucks to repair fender benders, but these cars keep us and ours safe when real accidents occur.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "G holds the title for the least amount of fatalities."

As a percentage or absolute number?
    I believe the stats are rates per million.
    I've posted the link in the past, just can't seem to find it right now.
    :cry:
    Yes, I realize that. Thanks. I just wanted to point out that the TL did not fair that much better than the G cost to repair wise.
  • I presently have an 04 TL coming off lease and am seriously considering the G35X. My rims on the TL seem to have been easily scratched. Part of this might be that I park in NY City a lot and in a parking garage where the "rocket scientists" that park my car really could care less about what damage they leave behind. I also have the impression that the rims on the TL stick out beyond the tire and are maybe more easily damaged. Any impressions on the G35's wheels/rims? Or should I just take driving lessons and park my car in a different garage!?! :)
    Same situation here (Out of TL lease, into G, scratched wheels). TL wheels were cheaply painted silver instead of brushed finish, and the tires are on the small side for that size wheel...leaving no buffer. I actually bought a used set on ebay and turned my lease in with them (600 total). Turanzas are horrible tires also. I always look at TL wheel lips and many of them are scratched...it doesn't take much at all to peel the paint right off. G Sport has normal tire overlap and real metal finished wheels. I'm sure I've very lightly brushed something by now, but have no signs.
  • I agree - the Bridgestones were awful! I wore them out after only 21K miles and replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Neros - what a difference! It was like driving a new (and better) car. These tires really grip the road and I've never had a problem with rain or snow.

I hope I don't get charged for the rim damage on the TL and they take it as normal wear and tear.
    Honda (Unlike infiniti), is very good with lease turn in. I had 50K + miles, with the corresponding wear. Chips here and there, few scratches, horribly worn leather seat, Orig brakes / rotors; I got tagged for nothing but miles. Honda finance was always a pleasure to deal with. Infiniti financial Service (Dealer's finance guy even warned me since I am in finance) are pretty much clueless. No way to pay online without being charged a fee, first level support like Q & A robots...etc. They also don't have any damage waivers on their leases. I don't hold it against the WONDERFUL car though ! !
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    I have no basis to state this as fact, but the new Accord is going to have a 270 HP V6, then it stands to reason that the '09 TL will be somewhere around 300HP. One of the engineers actually said there's a push internally to go with a V8. I'm sure those decisions are already made, but putting a V8 in a TL, with SH-AWD...keeping the price at or near the current car, with the current feature content, build quality, etc....would probably make me a buyer.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "...putting a V8 in a TL, with SH-AWD...keeping the price at or near the current car, with the current feature content, build quality, etc....would probably make me a buyer."

Probably? Where does the lineup start?! :shades:
    I know there are people that see the "8" in "V-8" and immediately get all excited, but why does Acura need to go with a V-8 to get to the 300 HP mark?
    Isn't it just more unnecessary weight?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    My buddy at Acura has given me a couple of rumors regarding future Acuras.

According to what he has heard...

The RL will get a V8 in a couple of years and a long wheelbase option.

The TL will get a more powerful V6 and SH-AWD about the same time. It might get a V8 sometime after that.

The TSX gets SH-AWD around the same time and maybe the turbo 4 cylinder out of the RDX. There will also be a TSX coupe to replace the RSX.

If all that happens Audi better watch out.
    I know that the entire line-up will soon be SH-AWD.
    I'm hearing it from way too many sources for it to not be true.

I'm absolutley loving my 07 G and wouldn't change my mind and go back for an 07 TL for anything... but with that being said...
    I can't wait to see what the 09 brings.
    The TL vs G decision was a very hard one to make.
    With everything rumor added into the 09, it'd be a no-brainer.
  • factfinderfactfinder Posts: 103
    Rumors are just that -- Rumors. The TL is late to the show. Honda has been working on the TL for nearly a decade -- and they are still in last place.
This discussion has been closed.