Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

1293031323335»

Comments

• blnewtoblnewto Posts: 146
    Tested both the 08 TL, TL-S & 08 G, we ended up w/ a slightly used 07 G (6k miles), having put 22k miles on the G thus far we've had no rattle issues, only quality issue was a sunroof seal and it was covered by a TSB (and has remained intact for the last year). The TL was impressive but if it ONLY had RWD, then I'd be more willing to re-consider a TL as a future vehicle in my garage. The G is much more willing to grip & rip than the TL, much more in line w/ the 3 & 5 series BMWs.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The new Acura TL looks just like the Honda Accord.

Um, sorry. Not seeing it.

Now, the Altima and the G is a different story...

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Don't worry about it, it was just a little tongue-in-cheek comment, based on the fact that the consensus is that TLs have a plusher interior than the G35. I wasn't thinking of the geographical locations or house values of G owners. But since you brought it up, in my area, the average home value is probably, oh, I would say, about $1.75M. It's not Buckingham Palace, but it's not bad. ;)
    I was scratching my head over his TL/Accord comparison too. Your visual reply was bang-on.
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    Its takes an acquired taste to like how the new TL looks. I hope for their sake, the price on the TL will save the day. I forsee sells not being at par with the previous model. Honda seems to have tried really hard to make the TL look like a Linkoln MKS. They might not look alike but there is some resemblance.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I didn't say I liked the TL, you'll notice. ;) Just that it didn't look like the Accord.

As for the MKS and the TL's similarities, they would be purely coincidental.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=135807?tid=edmund- s.il.home.photopanel..1.*

I have to admit, I like Edmunds. They look at total ownership experience, i.e. handling, straight line accelarion, pricing, interior, the works, before concluding. Contrast with their competitor, car & driver. I am also left scratching my head at the conclusions tjose guys reach. They had an article were they placed the 09 TL ahead of the G. I have no idea how one can come to that conclusion. If you look at their C&D 10 best cars, you will realize that most likely, you would never want 80-90% of those 10 cars in your garage.

Keep up the good work Edmunds
  • johninnjjohninnj Posts: 243
    Interior looks nice...and I saw where a TL beat an S4 around a track....but those acceleration times are pathetic. As much as people refuse to admit..most rate power by how fast something goes when you "Drop the hammer". I had an 04 TL...and it was a GREAT car for 33K...this one weighs 4,000 lbs and costs 44K? I predict HORRIBLE sales. And what happened to the AWD G....no more sport package?
    Yup, I think Acura will regret super-sizing the TL.
    Yup, the old TL looks much better. The S4, like everything else from Germany, is overpriced. With the way the economy is, overpriced is not the way to go.
    I almost got a used one as my TL replacement....then I asked a few mechanics I know....they advised me to stay away as the parts are INCREDIBLY expensive.
    Nice all-around car though....340hp V8 awd 4 door is pretty much a do-it-all vehicle.
    Handled remarkable well for having such a big heavy motor up front and AWD.
    I think the article I read the TLSH ran circles around the 335, the G, the IS350, and the NEW (v6superchared..30mpg) S4. That Differential has been amazing since they first put it in a prelude waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when.
    Regarding the S4, I wouldnt get too carried away with the HP, its slower than a 335i and probably at par with the G37 but cost 8k more than the 335i and 10s of thousands more than the G37. Yeah, the S4 is not on my wish list at all.

Regarding ability to take curves etc, am not too much of a fan of that. I drive my car on the road 100% of the time, never on race tracks. To me the edmunds article has more relevance than the C&D test results
    "Regarding ability to take curves etc, am not too much of a fan of that. I drive my car on the road 100% of the time, never on race tracks."

Don't roads have curves too?
    Yes they do, but most are designed in such a way that even a bus driver can take them. Let me put it this way, I have driven my 140hp commuter through those curves on the road and have not been disapointed. So I cannot justify paying a premium for any car cos some magazine says it takes curves very well. When I drive my G, I have not been let down at any twist, turn or curve either. So I do not see the need for spending say 41k on a base 335i, vs the same amount on a fully loaded G.
    At the time...the 3 series was slow, and the (Used) S4 was about 30K. Plus Audi interiors are the standard by which others are measured. I wound up getting a 40K G Sport loaded and have no regrets....gas mileage notwithstanding. My TL used to get 30 on the highway..no problem. G is still the best car for the $ to me no matter what...with (Oddly enough) Legacy GT being my second choice if value is weighed more heavily. The saved 8-10K would go a LONG way lol
  • Am currently in the midst of trying to decide between the three. Base configuration for the Acuras is my current thinking. Offers from the Acura dealer (still room to negotiate almost surely): '08 TL @ 30, 225, '09 TSX @ 29605. Still need an officiall offer on the Infiniti but over the phone they said they should be able to take at least 5k off the sticker (to match the discount on the TL off sticker price). That would put the G35 at between 30k and 31k.

Understand that the TSX is a slightly different class than the other two but given that is an '09 that is supposedly comaprable to the '08 TL, wanted to include that.

The questions:
    1) Assuming the prices are the same, which car would you choose?
    2) If the prices are different, how much cheaper would the G35 have to be to choose that over the TL (or vice versa if you think the TL is the better one at the same price).
    3) What G35 package makes the most sense to compare against the TSX?
  • blnewtoblnewto Posts: 146
    Test drove all three (08 TSX) and for me the G was clearly the best performer and the most fun to drive. If you can land a sport package G for 32K that's the ticket :)
This discussion has been closed.