Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• I agree 1,000% I have a new 07 Silver TL-S and LOVE it!!! Never driven a car so awssome. And the interior is top notch. The most comfy drivers seat I have ever been in. The car is a dream in every way!!! :shades:
  • "Then go buy the uncomfortable G and get off the TL Forum. Tired of TL Bashers! I think Infiniti is subpar in quality. IMHO."

...and what are those words in "BOLD"?...please...not everyone wants the same thing. :confuse:
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    You are correct the driver seat is the best, but I was a little disappointed in the passenger seat. My TL is an 05 so the 07 passenger seat my be improved.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,625
    Harsh, dude. Scott's been here a bit comparing/contrasting the G & TL. I did the same thing, TL was best for me. G may be best for him. Hopefully he'll post his ultimate decision and the how's and why's of said decision. How does his opinion affect your life or opinion of the TL?

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• Hate to break it to you, but this is not just a TL forum. and comfort is all relative. Personally, I didn't find the TL-S seats to be comfortable. I preferred the G's Sport seats in which I feel more secure when taking turns quickly. But that's my preference. If all I did was drive straight roads all the time then I might like the other seats better. But it's all personal.
  • py777py777 Posts: 62
    Completely agree. When can people understand what they feel about their cars are very personal? Some like sport seats with more of a bucket feel cause they are performance drivers. Some like a more flat, sofa type seats cause they are easy going. (Or have wide rear ends :P, sorry, still took a shot there! )
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    "Some like a more flat, sofa type seats cause they are easy going"

You won't find this in either the TL or G. ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This is not a "TL Forum", it's a comparison discussion between the TL and the G35. Since scottm123 is deciding between the two vehicles, this is the right place for him.

Please don't tell people to leave, everyone is welcome here.
  • Hi All,

Just figured I'd toss my impressions in. I'm in the market for a new car, and I'm all over the place. SUV? Luxury Sedan? "Sport" Near Luxury? Basic transportation (currently have a 9mo old who will likely become more messy :) + used "fun" roadster.

As you can see, I have not narrowed my options down to the G35 & TL. However, My wife had this tough decision in Sept 2002 and chose the G35 back then. At that point the TL was the older body style and just didn't grab her. The G35 was fresh and new. The rear wheel drive was also a plus from the driving point of view. If we had known then that there would be brake problems we might have reconsidered. The dealer did replace the pads for free for the first 36k, but now they're not doing that anymore.

Now as I look at my choices, there's definite competition between the G35 and TL-S. In my case I'd get the G35x as we don't want two rear wheel drive cars, even though there are only a few days of the year where that's really important.

Things that weigh in favor of the Acura for me are:

Not "another" G35. I'm the guy who won't order what someone else in my party orders at the restaurant. I believe variety is the spice of life!

Acura reliability. I currently have a well aging '97 CL. It's too small for a family with an infant so that's the main reason I want a new car. I've been happy with Acura service and relaibility. Infinity has been fine, but there's that pesky brake issue. (Of course I've spent about $1700 in the past few months on a new starter motor and an exhaust valve replacement)

Acura's pricing. I like the few options approach. I hate feeling like I'm being nickled and dimed when I'm out to buy a "luxury" car. I want luxury, give it to me without asking if I want fries with that.

On the Infiniti side:

Four wheel drive. Hopefully this will have more of the handling characteristics of rear wheel drive with the sure footedness of four wheel drive when necessary.

Styling. I do like the TL styling, but I thin I like the new G35 styling better. Maybe I just like what's new...

Hard drive + CF card. This may be low down in the real world usefullness, but is high in my eyes in terms of coolness. I have tons of CF cards lying around the house and could load a bunch of CDs to keep in my car. Ripping to the HD is also cool. These two togeter mean I don't have to keep my ipod and/or CDs in the ever changing climate of my car.

In the end, I'm sure I'll have to make a decision based on gut driving feel. Both cars have drawbacks for me, especially in cargo. When you have to toss a stroller, pack 'n play, and various other baby related items in a car, I wouldn't mind fold down seats to expand cargo space.

This probably helps no one, but it helped me lay out my own pros and cons!

Rahul
    I had the problem 2 years ago because I though the TL seats were more comfortable, got better mileage, and I preferred the TL exterior styling better. It's a tuff choice. :)
    I just discovered that the TL base is bigger and heavier than the g35 sedan. The TL is a deceptive looking car, it does not look that big. :surprise:
  • It feels big when I try to park it in the "compact car only" parking spots at work!!! :surprise: Usually I'm trying to squeeze in between an SUV and a minivan!!! :mad:

Seriously though, I have noticed that it's a wide car - I think that may help with handling.
    My prior ride was a Chrysler 300m. The TL is about eight inches shorter and two inches thinner, so it does not seem like a big car to me! Except for the turning radius, oy!

And more important than its size is, of course, the TL's ruggedly handsome exterior...

• I preferred the G's seats too. TL-S seats has no proper support for autobahn style driving:-) G is real sport-sedan, TL-S good family sedan because of FWD and heavy front.
    I agree the TL has a great looking exterior. I have heard one person describe the G sedan as sort slab-sided, that's a bit harsh, but I undertood what he was talking about.
    I doubt that you meant "autobahn style driving" as that style is basically going very fast in a straight line. And employing proper lane etiquette... Now, "autocross style driving" maybe...

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "And employing proper lane etiquette..."

Does that exist in Europe? :confuse: :P
    with the push-button ignition system on the new G, what happens if you leave the engine running, but walk away with the key fob in your pocket? Does the engine shut off when you're out of range?
  • Nope...it will stay running. I often do that in my building garage while I run in and check my mailbox before I park.
    Never having driven the 'bahn, don't know firsthand. But from what I understand yes and those that do not execute the proper lane etiquette are usually not from Europe.

I have driven I95 from Connecticut to Southern Florida and I80 from Ct. to Jackson, Wyoming (in a Renault LeCar w/2 passengers and enough ski equipment for 10 days!!!) so that's probably just like the 'bahn, no? :(

• I agree, fighter. The G is a driver's car. The TL is a glorified family sedan. In all seriousness, I'd get a V-6 Accord and save 10 G's -- no pun intended.
    Hmm...I wonder then if that may potentially be a safety issue. Picture this scenario: Mr. Absent-minded parks in his attached garage at home, closes garage door, cell phone rings, he answers as he exits vehicle, forgetting to turn off engine as he walks into his house. Engine keeps running, filling the garage, and eventually the house, with carbon monoxide! :sick:

In our litigious society, I'm surprised there isn't some safety check built into the system.
  • The G is a driver's car. The TL is a glorified family sedan.

You're really stretching the difference here. Yes, the G is sportier with the RWD, but the TL hangs close, and it's just a matter of where your balance-point is. I'm sure some people who opted for the 350Z would find the G's ride too cushy.

There are similarities between the TL and the Accord, just like to some extent there are similarities between the G35 and the Nissan Altima (fast machines with less expensive interiors), but if you think there's no difference in how each drives, then you haven't driven both.
    It actually does. People won't stay in fast lane if they are the slow one, they move away, and getting tailgate is actually your fault to be slow in the fast lane. On the other hand, in the slow lane, you are not suppose to tailgate.

Very nice driving etiquette. Also, take someone training forever and a lot of money to get a driving license. AutoBahn is good. Unlike sometimes you see here, people driving 55 at fast lane and refuse to move away. When you pass on the right lane, they think you are crazy. :mad:
    But how is that different from the same absent-minded person forgetting to the get the car :confuse: key and turn off the engine because of the same cell phone ring?
    Because most people have their house keys attached to their car keys...so they won't get far if they forget. And even if their car key is kept separate, since the key system has been around since the dawn of time, out of pure force of habit, people will take the key with them when they exit...and the key can't be extracted from the ignition without turning it off.
    Agreed tax! Anyone who things a TL drives like an Accord, really has not driven both. :surprise:
  • Why would the keyless entry be any different than someone with keys. The same absent-minded person could park his car, exit with his car key still in the ignition, and walk into his house. People with keys have been leaving cars running while trying to do other things since long before the keyless cars came along. At somepoint the onus needs to be on the darwin hopeful ;)
    "At somepoint the onus needs to be on the darwin hopeful"

Agreed. However, my hypothesis is that since drivers have been using the key system for, like, a thousand years, whereas the push-button is brand new technology, there is a much greater chance of someone leaving a push-button car running inadvertently. Plus, because most people tend to carry their house and car keys together, there is significantly less chance of someone leaving a key-ignition car running parked in his garage at home, which scenario, IMO, poses the greatest safety risk.
  • Again...if someone can't tell that their car is still running when they exit the car then they shouldn't be driving. IMO I don't think it's any less safe having a push button or not. Unfortunately, I don't think that will stop some moron from trying to sue over it or something and just end up costing the rest of us more money.
This discussion has been closed.