Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Grand Vitara vibration problem

Comments

• Oh I must be coy! But I must say, most people want to do business with me--as I tell it exactly like it is! Best of luck keep me apprised of the situation. Suzuki Woman strikes again! :shades:
  • xostnotxostnot Posts: 232
    loukywells: You sound like an excellent candidate for installing additional acoustic insulation. You could have it done at a car audio place, or buy it from a place like www.b-quiet.com and install it yourself. The doors are fairly easy to do, but doing the floor pretty well requires removing trim panels and the seats.

You mentioned wear on the leather seats. Was this from failed seams, wear of the material itself, or the "baggy" leather problem?

thanks
  • I really put some thought into the sound insulation. I had to wire a strobe package and an antenna assembly and when I took off the foot side panels there was no insulation at all. I was actually shocked...nothing but metal.

I was standing outside of my vehicle using my laptop in the drivers seat and happened to notice these vertical lines. There were around 8 or 9 of these lines on the area in an open area on the left bottom. It almost seemed like the leather was spreading apart. We figured it was wearing from me getting out of the vehicle, but at 12,000 miles? The dealer did replace the seat cover but it took a couple of times for them to get it right. They actually had to take it to an upholstery place and use steam to flatten the leather out.
  • Wow, I am shocked by the lack of insulation and will pull apart a Grand Vitara to see myself. As far as the vertical lines go you are correct, the leather on the Grand Vitaras does NOT react will with extreme heat. The baggy seat problem stems from that. Especially in the rear bench. When the rear seats are folded down and the heat becomes extreme 90 and above the top seat will meld with the bottom seat fairly solid. When you place it back up, you will get a baggy leather effect. Likewise the heat will weaken the front seats and with frequent hopping in and out a truck, the leather actually begins to pull apart and vertical streaks appear. Where do you live that the leather replacement was so incredibly poor? You must be in the South as that would explain the heat. When we replace leather, it is high grade and tougher than what Suzuki actually puts in...Cost is about 895. and the value is just exceeds that. Suzuki woman... :shades:
  • I live in Kentucky so the temp. isn't extreme but it does get in the 90's during the summer months.

I haven't checked the insulation on the doors yet but I don't know if that's necessary at this point. Installing insulation would be a very timely task.

I have a feeling that Suzuki isn't going to take responsibility for the "design issues". I actually enjoy driving this car locally, but this vehicle isn't designed for the highway driver. It's making me sick that I have to address these issues.
  • Yeah, it really isn't fun to spend money and then have to address all that you have had to address. I don't know the lemmon law in Kentucky at all, in NY you would already have been eligible and Suzuki has really stepped up to the plate here. I think Suzuki will take responsiblity-I really do. But NOT the dealership. You can't go through the dealership to do this. Do you know any lemonlaw attorneys in kentucky? You really might want to get a free consultation. It's not going to be easy, but then attorneys tend to scare Suzuki so I really think they will cave in. The Japanese are VERY prideful and very aware that bad negative feedback has bad results. They really don't want to be made to look like a bad guy. The dealership is a different story-they probably don't care much. If they are the only ones around, they probably know that they have not got much to worry about. But if the word gets around, then they will worry. Their is a site on the internet called the rip off reports-you could voice your concern there at www.ripoffreport.com/ or contact National Highway boards at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/ I think you need to be more vocal and not accept this as much. I have many Grand vitara people driving 100 miles a day and no one has told me yet, that it wasn't a highway or long distance truck. In fact just the opposite. I have one gal that calls the truck her "little red rocket" I really think you just got a lemon from a bad dealer. Keep me up to date with what happens! Suzuki woman strikes again! :shades:
  • bearsgvbearsgv Posts: 19
    I drive around 130km a day, 80% freeway & the GV is a lot more comfortable & quieter than my previous car (Toyota Corolla).

Went for a short holiday over Christmas, drove around 600km return trip, mostly freeway, the GV was very comfortable & sure footed.
  • Excellent, that is what I had thought. I think this other guy in Kentucky has a lemon! Suzuki woman strikes again! :shades:
    I have to say we bought our GV in December in Vancouver. So it wasn't hot weather. The front seat bottom panels stretched on the first drive, and have never returned to being taut. We are not "large" people. The dealer said they'd arrange for the regional rep to look at them and determine if they warranted replacement. They said they'd call me to arrange an appointment when the rep would be there, but they never called.

The seats looked like crap for a brand new car, but since it's a year old now, they seem more acceptable. I noticed other cars with leather seats have the material installed such that there is provision for the material to "expand" when sat upon, while the GV's seats are simple flat panels. I'm even wondering if the leather seats are so firm because then the leather panels don't have to stretch so much.

We also find that the rear headrests leave depressions in the rear seat bottoms when the seatback is folded forward.

But, hey, it didn't cost as much as a Lexus.
  • Here Here! I agree that the Grand Vitara doesn't cost anywhere near a Lexus. The GV you bought may have been on a ship in the summer (most likely it was). With the windows closed in any car add solar heat and you can get incredible temperatures inside a vehicle. Not likely in December, but if the car was delivered to the dealership in August, or September, or even October, then the heat could have built up in the car. It is even worse in the Southern parts of this country. We got a swap from NC and the back top rear seats had been down and had melted into the lower rear seat! Had to reheat it to separate it and then they looked very baggy. Replaced it with a custom leather job for front and back. It really doesn't matter if someone is large or small, once the heat has built up and affected the leather the next person who sits on it will have a lasting impression-literally. I don't really think that it is the design of the seat, more the type of leather they chose to use... The headrests must be removed when you fold the rear seats forward-There is a button that removes them and you stow them on the floor in the space where your feet go normally. I have no idea why Suzuki chose the kind of leather that they did. The seats can be quite a problem. However, I have never seen a problem with the beige seats, only the charcoal. What color do you-have? Suzuki woman! :shades:
    We have the beige seats. I'll try to have a look at the info and see when our GV was manufactured. But given that there was a waiting list when we got it in late December, I'd assume it had not been sitting around since the summer.
  • broncododge, can you give us more specific information. I have a vibration issue at 70-75mph, which vibration issue does the ECM update address. Even after rebalancing the tires the issue is still there. I need specific information with a TSB, campaign number, a field tech they can call, or something I can reference to the dealer other than "update the software". My dealer doesn't want to do anything without something from suzuki telling them to.
  • Good luck on the vibration issue. I'm meeting with a Suzuki DM on Friday to discuss that same issue with my GV. My dealer told me that I have the latest ECM software installed on the vehicle, but they also stated that they don't even have the software for the '06 GV; therefore, they cannot flash it. I want you to try something if you don't mind. Start your GV and keep it in park. Slowly bring the RPM's to 2600 and tell me if you have the engine vibration...just curious. Thanks.
  • No engine vibration. My steering wheel just vibrates between 70-75mph, enough to make your hands numb. All 4 tires were out of balance. It seemed to help somewhat, I haven't driven it much on the interstate since I had the dealership re-balance them. If the vibration stays as low as it was tonight on the way home from work I can live with it.
    I will drive it for a few days to see what its like, the vibration isn't consistantly the same intensity. Usually its just tires out of balance that causes this, at least thats what it was in all my other vehicles. I just don't know if the dealership has sensitive enough equipment to balance them perfectly.
    I still want to know more details on the ECU flash, like the manufacturer's release notes on the software update.
  • I see. Wheel vibration is another issue that I have. The dealership couldn't figure it out. I drive 95% of highway and my vibration is at the same speed as yours. The odd thing is that it's not consistant. Just today I noticed it entering the highway and then it slightly went away after couple of miles??
  • That is the big problem with many dealers... they don't want to do anything unless Suzuki directs them to... but we fished around for an answer to the problem and the ecm flash fixes the vibration issue in 98 percent of the cases. One case was a defective tire (had a wall separation), and I can't remember what the other one was-something broken in the front assembly. Suzuki is ignoring the problem. We just tried every fix known to man in order to resolve the issue and the ECM turned out to be the issue. I would hate to say that your dealer has his head up somewhere that the sun doesn't shine, but a disgruntled customer is just not acceptable to us, and we will try every avenue in order to resolve a problem. I have no idea what they are thinking. Because of anonimity, I would suggest you taking aside a service manager and requesting they call UP NORTH and talk to other service managers to see if THEY have an ECM flash that fixes this problem! it almost sounds as tho they haven't got a clue.... Perhaps they are afraid they will mess the truck up royaly and void the warranty. Not too sure of their thinking, but oh boy would I make the quiet suggestion to the Service manager (aside). Or excercise the lemon law in your area! Suzuki woman strikes again! :shades:
  • I will again address the flash issue to the service manager on Friday. Is there a way for them to contact you regarding this issue? I wouldn't want to post anything that would be against the rules and regulations of the forum.

I do think that the service department is being very careful in what they disturb on the vehicle.

Have you heard of a rattle in the moonroof? I talked to the service manager today and they sre still waiting on Suzuki to direct them on what to do. He stated that the 2007's that are arriving have the same rattle in them. You can push on the glass and it stops...I just about had it with the vehicle.

Regards.
  • We have not had the rattle problem up here. I have no idea why. I think the forum demands anonimity... otherwise I would have posted my dealership a long time ago. I don't think they want advertising and I can see their point. Just ask the service manager to call UP NORTH- a few large dealerships and to ask the service managers if they have a ECM fix for vibration. You can't be heavy handed with it, just kind of advisory. If the service manager is savy, he will make inquiries on his own. The rattle in the sunroof is just mind boggling because we haven't seen it and I have no idea why we haven't. I will make some quiet inquiries of my managers if this has been mentioned at all. Suzuki woman strikes again! :shades:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Dealer names and locations are fine. The members get a bit perturbed if someone starts touting their own business but there's a difference between information and spam.
    Our '06 JLX-L has absolutely no vibrations at any speed. There is a very slight droning noise at about 1500rpm, and a few very quiet noises on very rough roads, but that's it.

I understand when Suzuki mounts the wheels and rims, they take care to match up tires and rims, and position the tires on the rims, to cancel out any imperfections. This is what the colored dots on the tires and rims are for. I assume that if you upset the tire/rim matching, presumably you will get vibration. I add that for info, not because I have any idea what's causing the problems being sorted out here.