Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Grand Vitara vibration problem

This new discussion is for owners of 2006 Grand Vitara 4x4 SUV with the automatic transmission.
If you are experiencing a vibration while accelerating between 45-60 MPH, then please post your comments here.
This is an on-going problem for many of us and we need to make sure that Suzuki of America hears us loud and clear, and developes a solution.

Comments

• I pretty much concluded that it's engine related. At least on mine if you just slowly rev the engine while in park you'll feel some harmonic vibration at around 2800-2900 RPM then it goes away above 3000 RPM.

This is in line with the speed mentioned and in 4th gear.

It's definitely there while driving also and gets stronger if the engine is under load.

I have no idea though what they could do about it after the fact sort of re-designing the engine... :(
  • easy2t2easy2t2 Posts: 31
    I am considering a 2007 model. Anyone has this problem in the 07 model?
  • Hello, I just wanted to say that I WAS considering purchasing a new '06 GV luxury this week and have made my final offer to the dealer on one in their inventory with the stipulation that the vibration I felt while test driving on the highway gets resolved before I take delivery. Vehicle has 26 miles on it. Wasn't a bad vibe, but I noticed it, and won't take delivery w/ the problem. Based on what I've been reading here, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

I am what you would call a Suzuki enthusiast...I purchased my first tin-top Samurai new in 1986 and traded it in w/ 110,000 on the clock on a new 1992 4-door Sidekick, and imagine that, it never came close to rolling over the sami!

I currently own a 1991 Samurai that is significantly modified for off-road use and haven't rolled that one either, on-road or off. That roll over crap was just to kill its sales over here (jeep sales were suffering in 87 & 88).

Anyway, back on topic... I hope that someone posts up what Suzuki determines as the cause for this. I know about driveline vibrations, and this didn't feel like wheels or driveshafts to me. However, the theory on the fuel delivery that someone posted earlier is a very possible cause.
  • Mine Vibrates at 70 to 80...sure hope suzuki geta off their butts........
  • This is what I was informed by other experts:
    Early production 2006 GV's had some issues with vibration that was taken care of with the addition of a dynamic damper (there is a TSB on this with the VIN break, but it was basically any GV built before Aug 2005). Later 2006 and 2007 GV's have had no issues with vibration at speed.
  • OK, thanks. Don't know the production date on the vehicle I drove, but I'm headed over to see about this. Also, Got a reply on another forum:

TSB No. TS 04 10255
    Division: Automotive Section Title: Driveline/Axle
    Category: Technical
    SUBJECT: FRONT DIFFERENTIAL REAR MOUNTING BRACKET AND/OR REAR DIFFERENTIAL DYNAMIC DAMPER INSTALLATION
    MODEL(S): GRAND VITARA (JB627) 4WD ONLY
    YEAR: 2006
    AFFECTED VIN(S):SEE BELOW
    CONDITION: Slight harmonic vibration from the front and rear differentials between 55 and 70 MPH.
    CAUSE: Some early production 4WD vehicles may not be equipped with the improved Front Differential Rear Mounting Bracket and the Rear Differential Dynamic Damper.
    CORRECTION: 1. Vehicles with VIN numbers that fall within the VIN ranges shown below may need a rear Dynamic Damper (27475-66J01) installed. Please inspect your dealership’s inventory and any 06 model year Grand Vitara that comes into your dealership for any reason. If the rear Dynamic Damper (27475-66J01) is not installed perform this correction. If it is a customer vehicle, please be sure to notify the owner before performing this correction.
  • I had a second opinion yesterday; I bought my GV to my own (independent) mechanic to re-balance and rotate the tires. I he also ran an alldata check on my 2006 GV 4WD AT and found the TSB TS 04 10255. He noticed and showed me the difference in the two parts (27630-66J31), I do have the newer/updated bracket. He tighten/re-torqued all of the nuts, the problem did dissipate, now the vibration is very slight (it’s at least 50 percent better). He did mention that there still could be an issue with the new part or even the bushing. Later that afternoon on my way home from work, I stopped bye my Suzuki dealer and mention what was discovered. I also gave them the TSB printout and picture, and even my bill from my mechanic (I doubt they will reimburse me). It's pathetic that the service department and American Suzuki Motor Corp. couldn't tell me about this TSB from the start, even though had asked six times prior. The Suzuki service department is now going to investigate further and get back to me next week. Stay-tuned. Later, Dave M.
  • I have had this problem with drivetrain vibration since delivery. The dealer has been very good about applying all suggested fixes from Suzuki. The initial problem was vibration at about 100 kph. The latest mod has added a vibration during acceleration between 50 and 70 kph.

I know it is the driveshaft(s?) that is at fault because the dealer had eliminated the vibration almost completely after one of the mods, which unfortunately returned after a transmission leak repair.

My take in this is that the way the driveshafts are installed is very critical requiring a specific procedure that Suzuki has not perfected yet. The fix is possible because it was vibration free at one point. Except for this, it is a terrific vehicle, a pleasure to drive and great dealer service.
  • Can you guys publish the WIN number range? How do I find out when mine was built?
  • Should be in the bottom right corner of the driver's door, it's a blue plate and should indicate the build month/year.
  • Mine was built September 2005, no problems so far, just did regular maintenance until now.
  • I also have a harmonic drive line vibration on my new 2006 gv premium auto at 55 - 70+ mph. My gv is only 2 months old but was built sep. 2005. It has been in twice now with no results. The rear drive shaft has been replaced. It apparently has the upgrades on the front and rear differentials so the dealer is stumped for now. They are working with suzuki to try to come up with a solution but I'm afraid the salution is going to be just live with it. I will stay posted and urge others to use this valuable tool.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    HI RONZUKI..I think It stinks that we all went out and spent all this money for the premium package with this Issue.
    I have read your Issues with vibration,mine Is also at 70-80..At 80 on up It is gone. I also feel It around 50 or so but not as bad. The other thing Is If I hold the steering wheel firm with pressure at the vibration speeds I can almost stop it..but let go of the wheel and It bounces like crazy..Are you getting the same result? My car Is not shaking..just the steering wheel.(p.s went and had my tires balanced at 3 different shops with the same results)
  • Hi guy, your problem is that the ecm needs to be reset. Simple problem simple solution. Contact your local dealer, who hopefully has competant mechanics and arrange to have the ECM reset. And, then go purchase your new Grand Vitara! Never fear, Suzuki woman is here!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • It's your ECM it needs to be reset, call your local dealer and arrange to have it done. Never fear, Suzuki Woman is here! :shades:
  • I could guess at what an ECM is, but I'd probably be incorrect. You're saying this will eliminate the vibration (I too have that issue, at around 100 km/h). How? And what about the technical bulletin mentioned earlier?
  • xostnotxostnot Posts: 232
    Odd that some of these GV's could have such an obvious problem, others don't have it at all, but Suzuki seems unable to find a universal fix (no pun intended). Our JLX-L only has a very slight droning noise around 1500rpm. Certainly not something I'm concerned about, given the complexity of the drivetrain. Hope you people can get this sorted out.
  • The ECM is the computer man... This will eliminate the vibration. You all can adjust the drive train until the cows come home but the ECM controls the drive train and every single functioning part of the truck. You must reset the ECM. Call your local Suzuki dealer-tell the mechanic that your ECM is causing your truck to vibrate -most of them already know the fix... SUZUKI woman strikes AGAIN! :shades:
  • If I recall I think I order to reset the ECU yourself all you have to do Is disconnect the battery for a time and reconnect..Of course you would have to reset your radio and such,Does anyone know for sure what procedure you would follow for us do-it yourselfers'? :confuse:
  • Sorry but this you can't do yourself. When I say reset, I don't mean disconnect the battery and allow the car to reset itself, I mean you must re-program the ECM as it is malfunctioning. The actual fix program is available at your local Suzuki dealership, if they are savy as to the fix. Unfortunately, I find that some Suzuki mechanics are not, although that is rare indeed. The actual re-programing runs for 12 minutes (not a slow fix), and then the truck remarkably has NO vibration. I would have been much more specific, but I work long hours and can't always be detailed.... Suzuki woman strikes again! Snore :shades: