Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Suspension/Steering Problems

2»

Comments

• Can someone please tell me the status of the intermittent steering lock up on the Escape hybrid? I have a 2008 and it has locked up twice. On mine it occurs when I need to turn to go around a curve. The steering just straightens out on it's own and makes it very hard to turn for the curve. I would really like to hear from someone who has had this problem fixed to learn what the cause is and how to approach Ford to get it resolved. Thanks, Black Pearl FEH

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    edited January 6

I had the problem happen three times on my 2008 AWD FEH, always at slow speed when turning left. The steering simply stopped working for about two seconds. A long two seconds, since invariably traffic was approaching as I pulled out and accelerated to make the left turn.

Ford replaced the steering column and so far the problem has not come back. However the car also generally turns about 2 ft wider in the turn radius, making it a bit harder to swing a "U Turn". However, I like the fact that they seem to have made the highway speed steering a bit less sensitive at the same time. The car drives differently now. It was under my extended warranty, so I don't know what it would cost.

The fact that Ford changed the way the steering works tells me that there is some design problem when the wheel is suddenly spun all the way left while accelerating (but it does not happen often). I've not heard of a recall. I've seen reports of the problem mostly on 2008 and 2009 FEH models.

EDIT: BTW, I discovered the second time it happened that it was actually a power failure - my ScanGuage 2 power reset itself briefly. This makes me think it is electrical, not mechanical. I didn't notice the other times because I was too busy concentrating on avoiding crashing into something.

@blackpearlfeh said: Can someone please tell me the status of the intermittent steering lock up on the Escape hybrid? I have a 2008 and it has locked up twice. On mine it occurs when I need to turn to go around a curve. The steering just straightens out on it's own and makes it very hard to turn for the curve. I would really like to hear from someone who has had this problem fixed to learn what the cause is and how to approach Ford to get it resolved. Thanks, Black Pearl FEH

• Thanks for replying Steve. I think a huge challenge is that the problem is so intermittent it's hard to know if it's really fixed. Your story is the first one to suggest that the entire steering has changed so maybe we can have some confidence in it!

I am going in tomorrow with printouts of all the folks who have had the problem and will let you know what happens with Ford. Black pearl FEH

2»