Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Hybrid Electrical/Lighting Problems

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited April 2014 in Honda
Discuss your HAH eletrical issues here.

Comments

• coxfordcoxford Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found the low-beam headlights unacceptably dim? I love most things about my 2005 Accord Hybrid, but the low beams were so dim as to be dangerous. I found it hard to see bikers and pedestrians at the side of the road, so had the bulbs replaced. One of them immediately burned out. Has anyone else had any problems with the lights?
  • lebloomlebloom Member Posts: 5
    I think I know what your talking about here. My 05 is dimmer than normal. I have to look at the signs on the road to make sure my lights are on. Usually light just go out not go dim. Mine is a used unit so I don't know when last replaced.
  • artnjartnj Member Posts: 4
    For 6 months or so, once a month, when it rained HARD for HOURS (not in light rain), and my car (2004 Accord EX) was outside, I would experience the nav unit (which includes the radio and clock) quickly flickering off and on until the car warmed up. My mechanic told me "well, you could bring it in and pay me to fish around, but it doesnt seem worth it. Wait and see if it gets worse."

Last Friday, torrential rains, car outside all day. Nav unit was again flickering on and off, with greater rapidity than I have seen. Over the course of 15 minutes (before car warmed up/dryed out I guess), it probably flickered on and off 75 times. Maybe 15 times, the flicker was accompanied by the ABS and Brake indicator lights on the dash flickering on the dash itself (i.e. as far as I know, it was just the indicator lights flickering), and the gas cutting out. These are super quick flickers, the gas cutting out was noticeable, but over so quickly it didnt seem overly dangerous and I crossed my fingers and drove home.

I am very concerned I got ripped on the repair work that was done. The tech essentially admitted to me that there was no thorough testing of the electrical system. Sounded like he stopped at a visual inspection of the wires/connections. He noticed that by jiggling the key in the slot, he could make the power flicker and decided the ignition switch was bad. He recovered a code that had led to the check enginge light being on, which reported a problem with the main computer control system, which he said was hopefully just from the power spike. He reported that he "used a hose" on the car but was unable to recreate the problem. He took the car for a "test drive" today (no rain today.) So "maybe" it was the ignition switch. I am getting a bill for $390 for this!

Hope I'm wrong, but my guess is that the next time the car is out in/after heavy rain, I'm going to be cursing up a storm when the problems reoccur. Most of my drive to work is a busy highway, so its probably not to safe either.

What the heck? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.