Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Saturn VUE Green Line Owners -Give Us Your Report

Comments

• ktjensenktjensen Posts: 12
    My Hybrid Vue is doing exactly the same thing!! This is abviously an identical problem in all the Hybrid Vues. This is really bad if they are all experiencing the same issue.

Looking at the PARTS RESTRICTION ENGINE HYBRID service bulliten kind of implies that this might be a problem with many of the Hybrid Vues out there. The Technical Service Bulliten is very terse (hard to understand). Here it is:

link title
  • ktjensenktjensen Posts: 12
    Well the Saturn Dealer now has my vehicle. They said it was unsafe to drive until the new part (battery charging circuit) gets in. This is a factory fix for this 2007 Saturn Hybrid Vue. I have a GM paid, no cost rental until the vehicle is fixed. The part just came out May 31st from Saturn factory, so lots of nationwide demand I am sure.

Just funny that there is no recall on this vehicle. There should be, if the charging circuit fails to work the car eventually dies while you are driving.

Good luck owners!!
  • Our 2007 Hybrid Vue had a problem with the battery light followed by an engine light about 10 days ago. We took it into the dealer. Drove it home and no problems. Yesterday morning the vehicle went into auto stop but then died while waiting for traffic to clear for a left turn. It restarted when the ignition was turned over but by that point the battery and engine lights were on again.

We had it into the dealership within 5 hours (thanks to previous postings for bringing our attention to this issue). When it was taken into the dealership we were dropped off at the rental car company. GM or the dealer are paying for this rental and it was the dealer that prompted the rental as we don't have the coverage for this.

We were told last night (31May) that a part was on order..and the part appears to be not readily available. If we are having similar problems then I'm guessing that a recall is likely as soon as the part is more readily available.

We will drive the rental until the part comes in and our Vue is fixed.

Until this (3500 miles), we have been happy with our hybrid view and average about 25 mpg mostly in city. On the interstate (going 75 mph) we seem to get closer to 30 mpg.

We're anxious to see if this part fixes the problem so that we can get back to driving our Vue!
  • I've had my 07 Vue since October and have 18,400 miles and drive 125 miles per day 60% highway and balance stop and go. Averaging 29.6 and I often have a piece of equipment in the back I'm delivering. I couldn't be happier with the car. It runs well, is solid and sure footed. My last Saturn is still on the road clocking in at almost 300K miles. Runs like a V6 but drinks like a 4cyl and carries my bulky items around like a champ. A very nice compromise.
  • hybridvuehybridvue Posts: 31
    Like the previous post - I have had my Hybrid since Dec 2006 and have 14,800 miles. I drive 90 + miles per day with 50% highway and 50% stop and go. Averaging 31.3mpg with an empty trunk. I couldn't be happier with the Hybrid.

You can check out other Saturn Hybrid Vue Owners at:
    www.greenhybrid.com

Hopefully, these battery issues are not widespread (knock on wood.) Good luck to all and I hope the battery issue gets straighted out.
  • chmsommchmsomm Posts: 36
    Well, I finally got sick of $3.10/gallon gas. My wife has the GM discount through her father. That coupled with 0% financing and discounted extended warranty led us to take a chance on the Green Line.

I was seriously injured in a car accident due to a negligent Minivan driver a few years back and there is no way I would ever consider a compact car, fuel savings or not. A SUV with no hybrid technology surcharge looked like a good solution.

I have driven it for only a week and have some initial observations:
    1. It handles like a Vue/SUV.
    2. Decent acceleration for suburban driving.
    3. Cruises well on highway, but a little weak on passing acceleration at high speeds. It's not a V6, but the electric assist helps the L4.
    4. Weak on steep hills, which is expected. OK on moderate hills.
    5. First tank of gas was 25-26 mpg, which is not bad considering there is a learning curve for max mileage. This was with the AC in the "green-mode". Already doing better on the second tank as I learn the art of the "coast". I am also adjusting the AC as needed, without making myself uncomfortable.

This is NOT a "Lame Duck Greenie" as posted on another review that come up on a search engine. I now drive a SUV that probably will get a minimum 25 mpg for suburban commuting that essentially cuts my "get-to-work" gas consumption in half, meaning a $50/month reduction in fuel costs.

Everything on the vehicle seems to work well. My initial impressions are good. Will make additional posts in the future to update everyone.

Lame Duck Greenie???????????
  • mgoblue1mgoblue1 Posts: 2
    Same issues here with battery and engine light along with the power steering shutting off while driving.

I am told that the part in question is a wiring harness and there is a very recent service bulletin covering the issue. As with other posters, the part is not available "at the warehouse" but can apparently overnight them direct from the factory.
  • i took my vue in last week & got the new wiring harness. hopefully this fix (number 4 for me) will finally be it. the last fix lasted about 3 weeks so i am not getting my hopes up til we pass the 1 month mark. i still have reservations about the reliablity of this vehicle. time will tell.
  • I've had three stories published on the Vue Green Line ... and THE first on Edmunds Inside Line. My view on the VUE is positive. The moniker of Lame Duck comes from the fact that since last year (late 2006), Saturn has paraded the new 2008 Green Line and its greater, greener technology for the world to see. In the article you read, I reviewed a 2007 model. Are you not familiar with the political condition of being a lame duck? Think about it.
    Rex,

Please take this as constructive criticism from a scientist who has written over 80 peer-reviewed publications. I am not trying to give you too hard of a time on this one.

I did read your article. I re-read it to be certain of my initial interpretation.

The article's title and the paragraph concerning "lame duck" are very misleading and somewhat nebulous in their interpretation. Try to choose your words more carefully, it avoids confusion. I won't respond to a reply on this topic. I've said my piece, you are welcome to disagree.

Now that you have clarified, I think it is a mistake for Saturn to discontinue the BAS system. I like the lack of what I call the "hybrid surcharge" (what a nebulous term)with the 2007 model. I would tend to agree with your 2007 vs 2008 comments now that they are in context.

So far the mileage is good and there have been no problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the electrical problems other owners seem to be having.

Will keep all you other BAS Vue drivers updated on how the beast is working as time moves on.

Will we need to specify BAS vs 2-step, or whatever tech term is used for the various hybrids. I'm sooooo confused. My mind is nebulous.

Oh no. Brain freeze.
    Can anyone provide info on the number of 2007 Green Lines sold?

I was wondering about the percentage/fraction of Green Lines with electrical problems?

Assuming, which can be bad, that only owners with problems would be most likely to make posts.

Thanks
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Haven't checked here for a few months.
    25-30 MPG for the VUE isn't that impressive to me. Considering other manufactors are starting to show better MPG on gas alone. These insane electrical issues that can't seem to be solved is another concern. Thank you for your reports, seems to me I need to look elsewhere.
  • cak0219cak0219 Posts: 8
    I'm considering a VUE - I have the Hybrid at home this evening for an 'over-nighter'. I really like the auto-off and I tend to coast anyway, so after reading about that here, I might get pretty good mileage. I'm still not sold yet, though.

I've read some other people's input who say it is quiet. Having just dropped off a Hyundai Santa Fe, the VUE seems pretty noisy (road and tire noise). But, I realize it doesn't have all the amenities of other SUV's, but with the price in the same range, I was expecting a little more for the money.

The biggest question arose when I was asked if there have been any safety tests done with regard to the battery if you're in an accident? Could there be issues with batteries exploding, or battery acid being thrown about?

Does anyone know about this? I've done a little research on hybrids in general, but haven't found anything yet on this.

Thanks.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    "The biggest question arose when I was asked if there have been any safety tests done with regard to the battery if you're in an accident? Could there be issues with batteries exploding, or battery acid being thrown about?"

1. I think the gas would explode long before the batteries went. These are NiMh; the "exploding" batteries one reads about are LiIon.

2. I believe you are thinking of lead-acid batteries when you speak of acid being thrown around. I have seen nothing to indicate there is any danger of such an event.

The only published concerns are from emergency workers who are worried about the high voltage wires being cut during a "jaws of life" rescue. However the wires are brightly colored, and I haven't seen any reports on this issue lately.
  • cak0219cak0219 Posts: 8
    Thanks for the battery lesson. I'm not familiar with Hybrids and am just getting into them.

After reading the discussions here, I'm seeing a lot of electrical issues. My dealer (of course) says there are no problems with electrcial system or getting parts to fix them.

First year cars often have issues. I need to see when the '08 (Hybrid) might be coming out. I think I'd feel better after they've had more experience with them.

Thanks for your input.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    "After reading the discussions here, I'm seeing a lot of electrical issues. My dealer (of course) says there are no problems with electrcial system or getting parts to fix them."

Keep in mind that the Saturn belt hybrid system is simpler than the Toyota HSD, but it is also a new implementation, and it is not as efficient as a dual mode hybrid (HSD).

If you are worried about electrical components, you might want to go for either the Ford Escape Hybrid or the Highlander Hybrid. Here is my short summary based on my reading and experience.

FEH: Rides more like a truck (you may or may not like that in an SUV), but has a 4 cylinder engine (plus). Can achive mid 30's for in-town MPG. I personally found the truck to feel a bit "tippy" (but that was a 2006 model), and stability control is not offered on the hybrid model.

HH: Rides very smooth (a Toyota design intention), but has a 6 cylinder engine. Can achieve upper 20's MPG in town. There have been considerable comments on the fact that the HH runs the ICE for a longer time than the Prius or Camry Hybrids.

To get these kinds of MPG, you have to drive it like a hybrid - it is a learning process. If you drive either of these vehicles hard, you will get low 20's (HH) or upper 20's (FEH).
  • dsauvagedsauvage Posts: 2
    The Saturn Vue Hybrid I purchased is only 2 months old and I have had to replace one because parts were rattling in the door and dash and the second one already had a blowout that almost flipped the car. Onstar took forever to send someone out. They now suggest a get a spare at my expense and put it in the cargo area. So now I can smell rubber the whole ride and have lost all of my storage space. Geeh. I wanted to return it but customer friendly Saturn told me no. They told me this after 1 week of their discussing it. I have owned many new cars in my life, but have never been so totally disgusted as I have been by this purchase. By the way, I am averaging 22 miles to the gallon on open road - my old SUV did about the same. Wish I had stuck with Toyota. Instead this $24K car is made of plastic that rattles and has no tire or place for one to address safety on the road. Buyer beware. Their pledge of 100% satisfaction is bogus. I got 100% taken advantage of and want to help others so that they are not like me. :sick:
  • dsauvagedsauvage Posts: 2
    The Saturn Vue Hybrid I purchased is only 2 months old and I have had to replace one because parts were rattling in the door and dash and the second one already had a blowout that almost flipped the car. Onstar took forever to send someone out. They now suggest a get a spare at my expense and put it in the cargo area. So now I can smell rubber the whole ride and have lost all of my storage space. Geeh. I wanted to return it but customer friendly Saturn told me no. They told me this after 1 week of their discussing it. I have owned many new cars in my life, but have never been so totally disgusted as I have been by this purchase. By the way, I am averaging 22 miles to the gallon on open road - my old SUV did about the same. Wish I had stuck with Toyota. Instead this $24K car is made of plastic that rattles and has no tire or place for one to address safety on the road. Buyer beware. Their pledge of 100% satisfaction is bogus. I got 100% taken advantage of and want to help others so that they are not like me. :sick:
  • i had the wiring harness replaced 3 weeks ago. the result is that the battery warning light and the check engine light have stayed off. i hope that this will be the final fix although i am sort of sorry that i didn't buy the ford escape hybrid. since i keep my cars 10-15 years, i hope the remorse doesn't stay
  • We've had the Hybrid Vue for about 11,000 miles and love it. You do have to learn to drive it differently (it's not a Ferrari after all). The gas mileage is about 27/30 mpg. We have the battery harness problem, were waiting for the new part and the car died smack in the middle of a well-traveled road leaving my wife and daughter stranded and in a bad location. The dealer was pretty good about responding to the problem, although they did tell us it was safe to drive while we waited for the harness to arrive. It wasn't.

I like the vehicle, but it's got me worried now. We'll see how it goes from here... :sick:
  • Our harness was replaced about 3-4 weeks ago (around 3,500 on our vue) and it sees to be working fine now. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
  • joncanadajoncanada Posts: 29
    After just a week and a half and 800 kilometers (500 miles) with our 2007 Vue Hybrid, the hybrid component stopped working. The battery warning light, abs light, and various other dash light components came on shortly thereafter. I spoke with Saturn and had an onstar diagnostic done which returned nothing and was told the vehicle was safe to drive.

When I drove the vehicle next that evening, and parked the vehicle it would not start. After about 15 minutes of trying, I was able to start the vehicle only to drive a couple blocks and have all the interior lights start flashing. The power was dying completely, coming on again, and the power steering was shutting off while driving. I turned on to a side street to have the vehicle die completely. The vehicle would not start but was strangely beeping, and making various other unwarranted noises including ejecting the CD on it's own. It felt like I was in a strange horror movie about a posessed car.

It took 2 hours for a tow truck to arrive and tow our vehicle into the dealership. It's now been in the dealership for over 2 weeks (longer than we've had the vehicle). First they had to replace the harness, now they are waiting on a battery pack which is missing in transit without the ability of being tracked. It will be at least another 5 days before we get our vehicle back, and hopefully it won't have any further problems - nothing like saying 'hopefully' about a $30000CDN purchase. Ouch.
  • A couple additional points. High voltage wiring is run through the middle of the vehicle -- away from where "jaws of life" are typically needed. The wiring is also color coded so that rescue workers can more easily identify them. An airbag deployment also automatically disconnects the high voltage battery.

Kyle Johnson
    Saturn Communications
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,166
    I have a question. If you are out in the desert and hit a bump real hard or happen to bounce off of a rock and an airbag deploys, are you stuck there until Saturn can reconnect the power?
  • This stuff gets complicated pretty quickly, but here's a simplified explanation.

When an airbag deploys, the vehicle propulsion system (hybrid or non-hybrid) immediately stalls or is shutdown. If a rear impact was detected by a special sensor the hybrid battery contact will remain open but the vehicle will continue to drive under normal gas 12 volt system until you turn the vehicle off.

If the driver tries to re-start the vehicle after an airbag deployment, normal hybrid operation propulsion will occur as long a no diagnostic codes are set on the new start up...ie wires cut, damage to hybrid system, etc.

Naturally, you should check for suspension and underbody damage if you hit a rock hard enough to cause an airbag deployment.
  • Through yesterday, 6,395 '07 Saturn Vue Green Line vehicles have been sold.
    Because of this Edmund's forum I knew what to do. Thanks Edmunds for putting this forum together.

The battery light, followed by the check engine light, came on at 2000 miles while on some errands around town.

We parked it in our driveway and called roadside assistance.

We had it towed to the dealer. They seem to have some experience (is that good or bad?) with the hybrid Vue and Aura. They diagnosed it as the harness, and are overnighting a new one.

We had a loaner and was out of there in 15 minutes.

We will see if the repaired Green Line is ready as promised tomorrow evening.

I hope everything works out for this vehicle as both my wife and I really like it. The performance of the Green Line (acceleration, handling) in suburban driving conditions has been excellent. I was getting 25 mpg to work in some pretty brutal Philly commuting conditions. My wife is now getting 27-28 commuting to her job, which is an easier drive.

One comment to Saturn. If there were less than 6,500 of these sold, you should have replaced the defective wiring up-front.

You could end up killing someone if the vehicle stops on an interstate or otherwise busy road.
  • i had th wiring harness replaced which was the 4th & fina fix for the battery light/check engine light issue. it has been approx 1 month now and have had no more issues with the lights. as a side bonus, my air conditioner works better now than it has ever done. this is a big plus in southern california in the summer.
  • jray14jray14 Posts: 5
    Thanks for this thread pf_flyer. I just got my Greenline Vue about six weeks ago and had auto stop issues from the get-go, which culminated in the now infamous battery harness replacement (I still find that the autostop disengages prematurely at long lights - even in ECO A/C mode-anybody else getting that?). The dealer has been good about it, but I suspect they knew about the potential for these problems and of course opted to say nothing. My biggest concern, as reported by another member, is that the dealer suggested it was safe to drive for the week I waited for the new harness. My car died the next day after losing electrical function in one component at a time, ultimately losing the power steering as I pulled into a parking lot. Anyway, I too hope that the harness does the trick - just remember: IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM, DON'T DRIVE IT ANYMORE - MAKE THE DEALER GIVE YOU A LOANER.
  • joncanadajoncanada Posts: 29
    We have got our vehicle back with the new battery harness and for the most part it is working well now.

We are however having the same problem with the auto-stop disengaging after being stopped for more than 60 seconds or so. Can others please post their experience with having or not having this issue?