Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• I did have the fuel pump changed. How do you check fuel pressure??

Thank you.
  • Checking fuel pressure is with fuel pressure gauge attached to schrader valve on fuel rail - it's a lot easier than it sounds! :) You can 'rent' a pressure gauge at AutoZone or have it checked by a mechanic.

As to the stutter when braking: check your brake booster vacuum hose. Also a possibility that the booster has an internal rupture though not common.

Idle air controller (idle stepper motor) located on throttle body could be sticking as well & is a common pest with idle issues. Easy enough to remove from throttle body & clean.
  • I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with about 168k on it. It runs fine in drive and neutral, but sometimes when i put it in reverse the engine completely cuts off. Usually if i wait a couple minutes and try again it works fine.
    Also, when on long car trips on the highway, the "Trans Over Temp" light on the dash comes on. I checked the transmission fluid dipstick and there is plenty in there, and there is also plenty antifreeze.
    Any advice?
  • We are experiencing problems with our Jeep! The mechanic can not figure it out! The Jeep will sometimes start and run fine and then other times it will start but sputter and almost stall untill warmed up, or will start and stall after a few mins of driving, and not start but turnover. Also the other day the information screen started flashing and every possible indicator went on at the same time and then it backfired, after that it drove great for a day. Now its back to same routine. we think it is something electrical. We just don't know what any think will help!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    when was your trans oil changed? pluged filters in trans will cause it ti run hot

the other prob dont have a clue
  • 1st time post here. Thanks in advance.

Have a 2000 4.0 L Cherokee Sport. Have been having a problem with rough idle as well. At first thought it may be a PCM memory issue. I found battery conections badly corroded so I replaced them and cleaned and tightened all grounds in engine compartment. Worked Good after I reset memory settings.

Problem cleared up for 2 weeks as we ran through a full tank of Premium gas and fuel inj. cleaner. Now we are getting to less than 1/4 tank and the problem returned today. Runs great above idle. Now suspecting fuel issue.

I have read the stepper motor issues and will give that a try. Was kinda wondering if I may have a filter/pressure regulator issue at idle. Am gonna try that as well when I get time.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
  • HI, this is the exact same problem I am having with a 2001 Jeep cherokee that I have. Worked fine after cleaning the batttery terminals for about 2 weeks, then started the stalling again, runs perfect at other speeds. Please let me know if you figure this out before I do. One friend looked at it and said that my throttle body was leakding at the shaft. It sounded like it was. Please respond if you figure it out.
  • I probably caused this - I am experiencing a check engine light suddenly as well as a high idle (2K) at start. This all happened after I detailed the motor. I also loosened and forgot to tighten the radiator cap during the same cleaning. I feel that I either have air in the cooling system which needs to be let out (not certain where the valve is for this) or I pulled a sensor or vacuum tube loose (which I can't find) or I broke the idle control valve. The truck only has 50K miles and is in perfect shape. I would appreciate any help.
  • I had this problem for a month ; checked sensors, checking fuel plugs . Then one day the car didn't start, just dead at the starter. Cleaned the battery cables,got it to start. Took it to Auto-zone , a free battery check told me the battery changed polarity.Haven't had any glitches seance.
  • mmcraemmcrae Posts: 1
    My 1990 4wd 6 cyl. Cherokee has two cooling fans. One operates off of the belt, the other is electric. The electric one quit coming on. I don't know where to find the relay, or thermostat, or whatever triggers it. I am going to wire the fan directly to the battery to make sure it still works, but I need guidance once that is ruled out..
  • lunghdlunghd Posts: 61
    On your RENIX 4.0L XJ, the fan is controlled by a temperature switch located on driver side of radiator facing engine - about mid way down. This switch turns the fan on & off at a preset temperature. There is also a small diode located in the harness nearby that location but rarely gives any problem. The most likely culprit is the relay for the fan... the location of which escapes me at the moment - think it's under the plastic panel, battery side halfway back over passenger side wheel well.

Above info does not apply to HO engines - RENIX (Closed cooling system) only.
  • asceasce Posts: 3
    Can anyone help me out with some troubleshooting? I have a 1996 grand cherokee 4wd v8, drove it to the store yesterday and when i went to leave it wouldn't start. I got it to start with the assistace of jumper cables and juicing the gas butthe second I let my foot off the pedal it would kill. It won't start without a jump or stay running without my foot on the pedal. I took the battery and alternator to Autozone and they checked out fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • trumblejrtrumblejr Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 4.0 Cherokee standard 4x4, 238,000 miles. Starts fine when cold and runs great when rpms are above idle. At idle, say at a light, and after the engine has gone to operating temp, I get syptoms like flooding, misfire or bad gas. The longer at idle the worse it is. If I shut down the engine, it will not start until I let it sit for about 45 minutes. I have replaced plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and idle control in the throttle body. Gas had seafoam treatment, ran down till 1/4 tank and refilled with good gas, just in case.

I am in Atlanta and traveling to Pittsburgh tomorow for a short term job for great money. I would have to spend a couple hundred to rent a car. Please Help!

Tom
  • mcchesneymcchesney Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 grand cherokee limited takes along time to start after sitting overnight once it starts it runs great
  • binnersbinners Posts: 4
    Hi. I have recemtly replaced my radiator. That was an experience all in itself....however, the jeep dies when I am sitting still, or reversing. I thought I had gotten bad gas, so I put in Heet (twice). It still dies....what can I do? I can't take it to AutoZone for a diagnostic test because there is no "check engine light" on or any type of error message. It's driving me crazy!! I rely on my vehicle for my job. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks, Robin
  • binnersbinners Posts: 4
    By the way, its a 4.0 Also, when the gas level get to 1/4 tank, that is when the rough idle/stall occurs. I just ran and filled up, and it still idles low, but even with the a/c running, it does not stall! Very frustrating!! Any help, please. Thanks! Robin
  • Hello My jeep does the same thing. Sputters when start in the morning. Restart and it runs fine and smooth.. Have you came to a solution yet?
  • After having a mechanic look at it several times, it was the computer. A new one costs around $800 but my husband found a refurbished one off the internet. You send them info and they adjust it to your car. The only thing is you need to send your old one back to them within a certain time frame. It cost us $300 for this and it worked. However, when he installed the computer the next day the gas/mileage and electric windows stopped working?? The car runs great however we don't know what's wrong. I guess that is on a separate computer that only a dealership can touch. Hope everything works out!
  • Robin:

If you have a mechanic go to them and ask about the computer. It may be the fuel pump. Have them check. Our computer went. We bought a refurbished on the internet because a brand new one costs $800 with out installation. It only costs $300 for a used one but the catch is you need to send them your old computer back to them. It worked out great and the car runs fine. Hope this helps!
  • We go the computer replaced but the next day, my 2000 grand jeep cherokee with aprox. 145,000 miles, the spedometer and gas controls went crazy and they all stopped working along with the electric windows! All the lights work and the radio but our mechanic told us we needed to take it to a dealer because it's a GM computer that we can't do ourselves. Has anyone else had this issue? Don't want to put any more $$ into this. We just got a sticker after toying with new lightbulbs but want to get at least 8 more months of use before we get rid of it. Thanks for your suggestions!

Lisa
  • The vehicle just cut off and i'm not getting any spark...i've replaced the coil and the ecm..still nothing
  • i get no fire and i hooked up a diognostic tool to the computor and it can't read it...any idea's why?
  • jod1289jod1289 Posts: 1
    Well when I go to start my Jeep it turns over kinda rough then it starts but begins to idle rough till the check engine light comes on. Any suggestions??
  • how much time need to start up engine at morning,cherokee 95 SE a/t after key ON position? my cherokee need 5-10 minute. what's problem wth my cherokee? and no problem if the car engine is hot/after drive to going somewhere....just first start at morning.....
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Can you describe exactly what happens when you first turn the key in the morning? Do you hear any sounds? Do lights flash?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • just "klik"..... i think is relay or something like that at under steering, and on panel just parking lights ON...after 5-10 minutes ABS and CHEK ENGINE lights ON then fuel pump
    Check your battery, starter solenoid, cables and the starter itself.

Anyone with hands on experience, please feel free to jump right in here! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • i'm use dry cell battery(50amp) maybe the cranksaft sensor problem? cause the loading time betwen key ON to fuel pump ON is 5-7minute....
    Can any Cherokee owners offer ledend some suggestions? I'm stumped!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • try replacing the crank position sensor 1st if not then try the cam position sensor