Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• The vehicle just cut off and i'm not getting any spark...i've replaced the coil and the ecm..still nothing
  • i get no fire and i hooked up a diognostic tool to the computor and it can't read it...any idea's why?
  • jod1289jod1289 Posts: 1
    Well when I go to start my Jeep it turns over kinda rough then it starts but begins to idle rough till the check engine light comes on. Any suggestions??
  • how much time need to start up engine at morning,cherokee 95 SE a/t after key ON position? my cherokee need 5-10 minute. what's problem wth my cherokee? and no problem if the car engine is hot/after drive to going somewhere....just first start at morning.....
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Can you describe exactly what happens when you first turn the key in the morning? Do you hear any sounds? Do lights flash?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • just "klik"..... i think is relay or something like that at under steering, and on panel just parking lights ON...after 5-10 minutes ABS and CHEK ENGINE lights ON then fuel pump
    Check your battery, starter solenoid, cables and the starter itself.

Anyone with hands on experience, please feel free to jump right in here! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • i'm use dry cell battery(50amp) maybe the cranksaft sensor problem? cause the loading time betwen key ON to fuel pump ON is 5-7minute....
    Can any Cherokee owners offer ledend some suggestions? I'm stumped!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • try replacing the crank position sensor 1st if not then try the cam position sensor
  • Last night I drove to the hospital and back with no prob. Parked the car and the next morning tried to start and it didn't want to. Turned key, engine turned over and didn't start. Tried again while giving gas and started up but all interior light dimmed and as soon as i let the gas pedal go car completely shut off. Any suggestions?
  • I have a 93 Cherokee that starts fine and runs fine, but occasionally the engine just cuts out without warning.

It usually restarts right away, but sometimes takes several minutes.

I just bought it, so I am not too familiar with it.

Some of the gauges jump when I start it, but otherwise there aren't any obvious problems with the vehicle other than the locks need lubing.

It has 125k miles on it.

I bought it "as is", so I expected there might be a problem or two, but this particular one is obnoxious.

The body is rough, but everything works EXCEPT for the stalling problem.

HELP!!!!!!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    first i would clean my battery posts real good if battery looks like its real old change battery jeeps like steady volts from battery
  • I haven't looked under the hood yet, but I get the impression from reading some of the posts that it has something to do with the computer mounting.

The battery works fine. I have no charging problems, and it cranks fine after the stall.

Plus, there is no sputtering or anything like that when it stalls. The engine just stops dead, and I have to wait a little while before it will start again sometimes (sometimes hours).

I am not getting any check engine lights except when I initially turn the key on.

Is that perhaps an indication that the computer is history?

There doesn't seem to be any other problems in the electrical system.

The car cranks fine after stalling, and the problem acts every bit like a loose wire problem.

Any other suggestions?
  • Interior lights dimming means a drag on the voltage caused by excessive current draw.

Possible short in the starter, or the battery cables need to be checked. If the car is parked outside a lot, the connections at the battery tend to become corroded and act like a loose wire problem. Also, the engine grounding could have a similar problem if vehicle is parked outside.
  • alby3alby3 Posts: 46
    grand cherokee stalls or dies out.

1) CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS AT THE ECU (ENGINE CONTROL UNIT) MAYBE CALLED THE PCU (POWERTRAIN CONTROL UNIT) ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FIREWALL. ON 1998 AND EARLIER THE 3 PLUGS SOMETIMES GET A BAD CONNECTION. IT IS USUALLY THE ONE CLOSEST TO THE FENDER. UNPLUG, SPRAY WITH CLEANER AND REPLUG. YOU MAY EVEN HAVE TO WRAP A ZIP TIE AROUND THE UNIT TO KEEP THE PLUG IN TIGHT.

2) THIS MAY ALSO BE THE PROBLEM, IT IS GOING TO SOUND SCREWY BUT THERE ARE TORX SCREWS ON THE 1998 AND EARLIER ECU. BACK THEM OUT ABOUT A THIRD OF A TURN, THE SCREWS ARE TOO LONG AND ARE CAUSING SOME KIND OF SHORT IN THE CONNECTION.

3) FOR 1999 AND LATER

I had same problem.... 87,000 2000 grand cherokee 4.7l
    when i let off the gas it might stall. happens 1 to 4 times a day.
    so far i have
    replaced the crank shaft sensor - it stopped stalling for 3 days $130
    cleaned the throttle boddy free
    replaced the throttle position sensor $72
    replaced the idle air control sensor $132
    replaced the map manafold airflow sensor $125
    no luck it is still stalling. not sure if i remember the prices
    right on these parts....
    by the way i have done all the work myself. it was about 30 minutes for most parts.
    i just ordered a rebuilt ecu or pcu engine control unit. they program in the vin, mileage and part nbr so you gc will recognize it. $185
    we will see when that comes.....

IT CAME AND THAT SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM..... BEEN A WEEK.... SO FAR SO GOOD

alan
  • alby3alby3 Posts: 46
    grand cherokee stalls or dies out.
    DO NOT KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOUR YEAR....

1) CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS AT THE ECU (ENGINE CONTROL UNIT) MAYBE CALLED THE PCU (POWERTRAIN CONTROL UNIT) ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FIREWALL. ON 1998 AND EARLIER THE 3 PLUGS SOMETIMES GET A BAD CONNECTION. IT IS USUALLY THE ONE CLOSEST TO THE FENDER. UNPLUG, SPRAY WITH CLEANER AND REPLUG. YOU MAY EVEN HAVE TO WRAP A ZIP TIE AROUND THE UNIT TO KEEP THE PLUG IN TIGHT.

2) THIS MAY ALSO BE THE PROBLEM, IT IS GOING TO SOUND SCREWY BUT THERE ARE TORX SCREWS ON THE 1998 AND EARLIER ECU. BACK THEM OUT ABOUT A THIRD OF A TURN, THE SCREWS ARE TOO LONG AND ARE CAUSING SOME KIND OF SHORT IN THE CONNECTION.

3) FOR 1999 AND LATER

I had same problem.... 87,000 2000 grand cherokee 4.7l
    when i let off the gas it might stall. happens 1 to 4 times a day.
    so far i have
    replaced the crank shaft sensor - it stopped stalling for 3 days $130
    cleaned the throttle boddy free
    replaced the throttle position sensor $72
    replaced the idle air control sensor $132
    replaced the map manafold airflow sensor $125
    no luck it is still stalling. not sure if i remember the prices
    right on these parts....
    by the way i have done all the work myself. it was about 30 minutes for most parts.
    i just ordered a rebuilt ecu or pcu engine control unit. they program in the vin, mileage and part nbr so you gc will recognize it. $185
    we will see when that comes.....

IT CAME AND THAT SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM..... BEEN A WEEK.... SO FAR SO GOOD

alan
  • I had the following symptoms:

1. Vehicle would idle and run fine, but then the ignition would simply disconnect and the engine would die. No sputtering, just an ignition cutoff.

2. Vehicle then wouldn't restart for hours, but would eventually.

3. I found I could ground the engine block and get it to start.

4. There was no "check engine" light.

I took it to the local Jeep dealer and had a diagnostic run. They checked the crankcase sensor (the one that tells the engine when piston 1 should be firing), and it was bad. Replaced that for $300. Runs fine now, no stalls at all. Purrs like a mountain lion looking at a sheep.

Don't mess with it.

Take it to the Jeep dealer for a diagnostic.

In the meantime, try grounding the engine block to the negative terminal of the battery and then to the side of the vehicle. This might get you going for a short time.

Hope this helps.
  • nj673nj673 Posts: 1
    Cherokee 1997 2.5 diesel limited 150k. Occasionaly blows the 30A fuse under the hood, any common electrical problems I should be looking for??
  • Need help real fast, I changed the serpentine belt because the old one came off. It didn't break and just came off! After changing it now the stupid jeep starts up but after 5 minutes it stalls and is hard to keep running! I read that it may be the crank sensor and that was located on the top of the bell housing " Duh" how am i supposed to change something i can't get to? I put it up on ramps located the wire on top of housing but cannot get my arm up to the wire and i certainly can't see how to get any kind of a wrench in there to change it lol. Please help me with any : answers? Also why did the belt come off in the first place? nothing was loosened when i checked! I did notice that the bottom crank pully looked like it had some gasket coming off it??????