Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    When does Car & Driver know anything about off-roading?? They don't. Read off-roading magazines! Montero has POOR wheel travel by ALL off-roading magazines (FourWheeler, Peterson's, etc.)

Actually, according to CR, my '02 4Runner did well in slalom testing! Yours rolled over! Check it out for yourself.

Ok, are we talking about refinement or strength?? I thought we were talking about strength. I am confused.

Independent has more "arms". The shaft is the same! Oh boy, someone needs to learn more about suspensions! Yes, independent has less unsprung weight...which is critical in a sports car, less so in a >4000 lbs SUV.

Do you even know how much the Range Rover weighs?? Go check it out. Remember, LX470 is also luxurious.

Show me good evidence the difference in cost between X5 and ML500 frame. Since your brought it up, i want to learn too.

When has anyone complained about my 4Runner's ride off-road??? I have not heard ONE complaint. Personally, i like it.

Yeah, you're right, i am not a big fan of MY 4runner's front suspension. It has poor travel. However, my IFS is stoutly built (boxed upper & lower control arms)...linkages are heavy-duty. What makes the 4Runner capable is it's LONG-travel rear suspension, on par with Land Rover Discovery's rear axle (my brother's SUV). Thus, this helps out my limited IFS.

The two beams you talked about is seen ON ALMOST EVERY UNIBODY SUV out there!! My old Honda CRV had it! The Acura MDX has it. Range Rover has it.

TLC is cheaper than $65K. Don't get me started on the Porsche SUV!

What does the old Blazer have to do with 4runners?? Should i compare my 4runner to the first generation of Jeep Cherokee, which had a crappy unibody??

Anything else??
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    Point well taken, some are here to put down the Montero and it is very obvious to the well informed or owners. It is unfair to someone who might want to review the site for unbiased info on the Montero.
    I realize that edmunds did not give the Montero the best off road marks but I will have to say that I dont know how they arrived at that conclusion after having owned a Montero and driven various Toyota and Jeep products.

Also, I cant think of another review that didnt give the Montero high marks for off road ability and luxury like car ride on road.

Here is what 4 wheeler said. Notice that despite the articulation issue that causes the wheel to lift in extreme situations they still could get through with the limited slip. Overall, not perfect but a good blend of characteristics it seems.

"One of the most noticeable aspects on the new Monty is that it has independent suspension at every corner. We expected that the Montero would ride nicely on the highway and it did. On twisty mountain roads, every tester noticed that when at the limits of its handling capabilities, the Montero had a strange, squirrelly feeling to it. We think that this feel came in part from the Yokohama tires that this unit wore, which didn’t provide a lot of grip on either pavement or dirt.

Where the four-wheel independent suspension did shine was in the high-speed dirt sections. It ate up the rough stuff without any problems, and shock valving and spring rates were spot-on for this type of activity, helped in no small amount by the reduction of unsprung weight that is the handmaiden—indeed, the point—of independent suspension. Having powerful, four-piston disc brakes at every corner helped slow things down in a hurry, further bolstering the Montero’s prowess.

Independent suspension has never been known for its articulation, however, and this character flaw showed up on the rougher, slower trails. The Montero would lift wheels at every obstacle it came to. While unnerving, this did not stop progress because the limited-slip would immediately kick in and propel the Montero through most obstacles. Once testers got used to having at least one tire off the ground, the Montero proved to be surprisingly capable off-road. "

The people who have changed thier tires have noticed that the "squirrely" feeling that was noticed above goes away. I am changing out my tires today with C load and will let you know. I have discussed this with the TIre Rack folks and they said that the OEM Geolanders sidewalls are very soft, even compared with the very same model aftermarket. Seems that OEM tires in general are very soft and dont wear long. On an SUV of this weight that would explain the improved handling by putting anything on it other than the OEM tire
    It is claimed that the new unibody is far more rigid than the older body on frame design. I dont know the truth if I had to put my own money down but it seems very stiff, no noises to date like you get with body-on-frame configurations as they get older.

As far as construction quality I would strongly disagree that the new 4 runner is better built. I looked under one at Costco the other day since Intmed suggested that the metal guard and front suspension are better built.

I would say the the Montero suspension is larger, seemingly better built and the metal rock guard I could bend with my fingers.

I would say that the plastic vs metal OEM guards are a wash and that anyone thinking they are going to be hitting rocks would want a much better guard.

Personally, I would love to get the JAOS guard and bull bar if I had the extra cash.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    For those interested, you can discuss the 4Runner here: Toyota 4Runner.

I don't see it as productive to compare 4Runners with Muranos which are different classes of vehicles.

tidester, host
    Shame on you. We dont want to encourage the same sort of bashing on the 4 runner site.
    LoL!

Obviously, it would be equally objectionable to turn the 4Runner topic into a Murano dominated discussion. :-)

tidester, host
    But, you're so very generous to point out that link. Don't get too angry now.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Unless you guys are talking about Drew's post back in Nov. comparing the Murano & Montero, try this blast from the past:

2000 Honda Passport, Toyota 4Runner or Mitsubishi Montero Sport, which is the best buy?

Ok, it's the Sport and not the "pure" Monty, but I'm still lost about the Murano talk :-)

Steve, Host
    OH, MAN! I can't believe I typed that! LOL!

tidester, host
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Now back to the regularly scheduled confusion around here, LOL.

Steve, Host
    But, you're so very generous to point out that link. Don't get too angry now.

I'm not the least bit angry. You are completely free, however, to follow the link! :-)

tidester, host
    You know you have a great site when not one but two hosts are jumping in.

Hey, if you really want to have fun just go over to the Sequoia site and even mention that you dont like the color schemes and watch them tear you a new one.....Phonos can probably rememeber the time.....LOL

I was over at Toyota looking at the new 4 runner (and only if it were bigger and cost less) and mentioned to the sales person what an amazingly loyal group the Toyota owners are, to the point of being delusional. Funny thing is he agreed. Even more funny is that he complimented my Montero.
  • viet2viet2 Posts: 66
    So far all your post is about plastic skid-plate and how an independence suspension is not good off-road... how the 4Runner is better built... and some magazine does not rate it highly.... Just park your 4Runner next to a Montero, leave the name plate aside and judge for yourself which one is better built, requires more engineering. Rent one, take a drive, see what it can do!
    As for 4Wheeler and Peterson magazine, their focus is to sell you after market parts so you can transform your truck in to a plethora of metal bars. I viewed the Montero as a family transportation with off-road capability that get us places. Comfort, refinement, space is the strength of the Montero over the 4Runner, IMO. If you want to prove that your 4Runner has better capability then the Montero, enter it in a Paris -Darkar race.
  • back in Nepal, I had a 2001 Pajero turbo disel, took it to all sort of off-roading and the car never stuck or gave up. In fact, it was as good as my dad's landcruiser, plus my pajero had height adjustment suspension, I could switch between low,medium and high so when doing some rock crawling in mountains just switch to high and ready to go anywhere. I have seen the montero over here in U.S. and found it's not as good as the pajero sold in other regions but definetly a capable vechile for U.S. offroading.
    It is meaningless for US. For crying out loud, the Mercedes ML even competes (and won i think) the Paris-Dakar races. And you know how well the ML is in off-roading!

The off-roading magazines have annual SUV of the year competition...take a look for yourself. It is like any other magazines.

Like i said, take a look at a 3rd gen 4runner (1996-2002)...take a peek underneath. Superbly built. Look at the suspension. Look at the ground clearance with excellent approach/breakover/departure angles.

Also, RE-read my Post 2212. You haven't answered any of my questions.

Thanks.
    The Montero and Pajero are essentially identical at this time. The Pajero is still offered in direct inject versions, diesel and has a nice DVD nav system. Some I think still can be obtained with lockable rear end. I picked up the information when I was in Europe a couple of years ago.

The diesel would be a nice option but our fuel in the US contains too much sulfur for the higher tech injection systems.

Mitsubishi is a leader in technology and I did not realize this until my brother in law who is in a high tech field pointed this out and I looked at thier web site, heard what they have develped, etc. When I was growing up they did not have a great rep but thats when everyone wanted large block V8's and in reality they were not made any better.

I have not seen anything to date that says the Montero is made cheaply, in fact, just the oppisite.

Some companies make small interval changes like Toyota, Dodge, Ford to a great degree an others tend to take more chances with technology that comes with increased risk. Toyota put a VSC system on the street earlier but Mitsubishi had it developed long ago.
    Intmed, this is a great race and the Monteros always do very well. My KTM motorcycle, probably one of the best built bikes, made in Austria also does well in this race and others like it.

I would guess that the majority of vehicles are all independent suspension as well

By the way, my friend came by last night on his way through town, he has a newer 4 runner. He likes the quality but does not like the stiff ride. Compared with my Montero and the JGC he really thinks his truck is uncomfortable. That comes directly from the owner.
    Let me ask you this: how many Land Rover (Disco, Defender), Mercedes G500, Jeep Wranglers, etc. are seen in the Dakar races?? Would you call these vehicles bad off-roaders simply because they don't compete?? Again, Mercedes ML competes...enough said.

Dakar is basically a high-speed desert race of some sort. Suspension travel is not important. All you need is to have a light vehicle (thus, MOSTLY 2-DOOR MONTEROS), with a lightweight body (unibody) and lightweight suspension (independent). Weight is the MAIN thing in these competitions.
    Being in the race doesnt make your vehicle better, I didnt mean to imply this. But it shows how well built and capable the Montero is.