Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    ...but racing with X5s and VW diesels is kind of easy :-)
  • magillamagilla Posts: 75
    Boys and girls, let me tell you the answer is a resounding "Yes"! They bent over backwards to fix my seatbelt issues. No charge. Technically, I was over the mileage and over the in-service date although we had been discussing the issues before those milestones were achieved. Regardless, they didn't charge me a cent and treated me great. So today, I have nothing but praise for Mark Mitsubishi (Scottsdale) and Mitsubishi North America. Now, if I could just find that little rattle in the dash...
    I just read that the rear tire cover is locked on Monteros. How's it done? is it possible to take it off without the key? My Trooper's hard cover is basically free for taking and seeing how much money these things fetch on eBay has always made me very nervous. Is it any different on the Mitsubishi? That'd be so cool!
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    We've always used 87 (R+M/2) Octane fuel in the 2001 LTD (36,000 mi.) and now in the 2003 20th Anniversary Edition (in for 12,000 mi. service this morning)without any problems at or near sea level. In fact, used 85 octane in Texas and New Mexico on recent trip. Also tried using premium for a few tank fulls, but didn't notice any improvement in millage or power. At higher elevations, using anything more really doesn't make sense because the engine can't get enough air to advance the timing and utilize the higher octane anyway.

The OME shocks and springs in combination the 265-75x16 BFG ATs worked well on "4-wheel drive required" road in Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Eliminating the rubber stock "gasket" got rid of most of the "squeak" but the front springs still want to move on the "purchase" on the shocks. I don't notice that it affects handling or is even important.

The all terrain tires are noisier on the highway, do make the ride somewhat harsh, and make the gas millage drop.

Brill, question:

Didn't you have a problem with the spring "purchase" when you first got them from ARB? And, didn't they send you different ones? Are they cupped, or completely flat?
  • It does not lock. It unlatches from the botton only, these latches can only be reached when the back door is open. This prevents theft.
  • dcmooredcmoore Posts: 14
    Pulled the trigger on a 2003 Limited the other day. It had about 13K miles and was in excellent shape. So far, so great. I really like this machine. Very solid and very comfortable. I hope it's as reliable as my Trooper was.

Thanks for the responses concerning premium fuel. I've been running 89 octane through it thus far but may drop down to 87 since nobody here seems to think it will cause any problems.

One more question: Does anyone have recommendations regarding ski racks? I ran a search on this topic and came up with a few posts in which ski racks had been briefly discussed, but they weren't particularly helpful. I'm inclined to go with Yakima tower and crossbar since I've already got a pair of Yakima Liftticket 4 racks. However, I was messing around on the internet and noticed that mitsubishipartsstore.com has a roof-mounted ski rack advertised for about $70. But I'm not totally sure if it's for Monteros.
    Trooper's interior is nice but Montero's even nicer - I think it's definitely the best you can get for the money these days... Plus you get the side airbags and the "jump seats"!

As far as its reliability, it shouldn't be any different if not better. Trooper's transmission worries me a little.
  • Hi -

I live in Puerto Rico where I just looked at the 2003 Mitsubishi Montero SR. Apparently, from what I've read, the SR was discontinued in the US maybe six years ago, so information on it is very hard to find. Does anyone know why the SR was discontinued? Anything wrong with it? And is there any reason to, in general, avoid buying cars that were discontinued in North America?

Thanks.
    The old US Montero SR (3.5 liter) and LS (pre-2001) were replaced by the current Montero. That's why it sounds confusing but it's only in the name.

Montero SR in Puerto Rico is the equivalent to our Montero Limited without the leather, so it's the same vehicle as in the US. No worries here - it hasn't been replaced yet :-)

http://www.mitsubishicarspr.com/spanish/vehiculos/2003/montero/es- - pecificaciones.aspx

Are you sure you want one though? When I visited Puerto Rico a few years back I noticed that almost every other car was a Montero down there. Apparently it's also the most stolen vehicle in PR by far and partially responsible for why our insurance rates are so much higher than for the Trooper for example...

I noticed that in Europe they have the regular Pajero (our current one here) and Pajero classic (the older pre-2001 US model) available for sale. It's a pretty big difference in price too.
    It wasn't very clear for a while (the powertrain warranty promo technically expired mid-year) but Mitsu made it official for all 2003s. 2003 Evo is excluded but 2004 Evos will get 10/100K (?)

http://www.mitsucars.com/owners/warranties.html
  • gtroopgtroop Posts: 85
    I too am a former Trooper owner. I had a 2001 Trooper LS with leather - never had any problems after 35k miles. Traded it at a Toyota dealership on a 2001 Montero Ltd last May with 26k.

At the beginning of the second week of ownership I took it to the local Mitsu dealer because the transfer case light continued to flash after I shifted out of 4H. The dealer (Overland Park Mitsubishi) was great, they gave me a loaner and kept the car for 4 days and found the problem (a faulty sensor) after repeated tries.

Now that the Monty has 38k on the clock I have no complaints/problems and enjoy the improved ride. We will be looking in to new tires before next winter as the originals probably have around 8-10k left in them. I will probably slap some new brake pads on it this summer.

I run 87 octane as well with no problems. During a recent trip I averaged 19.5 mpg. The only things I don't really care for on the Monty vs the Trooper are 1) the rear door swings to the wrong side and 2) the oil filter is difficult to get to and makes a mess when removed.
  • skennyskenny Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a LTD with 26,000 miles on the ticker. I live in New England...should I use Premium ?
    or can I use the cheap stuff. Had other Mitsubishi vehicles and have proved superbly reliable 40,000 miles per year etc..Is this vehicle as reliable as I've herd.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    Sorry, I have been spending a lot of time at the Dodge Cummins sites after getting my 03 Dodge. Man is this thing fun to drive.

I initially was sent the wrong cup and it was promptly replaced. I have found the OME/ARB springs with the Bridgestone A/T Revos to be a great combination AND my tires are as quite or better than stock if you can believe that. Take one look at the A/T Revos and you will say NO WAY! but....WAY...they are.

As in previous posts this 6 ply tire does better in 2wd than my stock HT did in 4wd. It was amazing.

GAS: I use mid grade on average. Often mix regular and premium from Costco. I have heard from various sources that Japans premium is no better than our regular. I think mid grade would be a safe place to be. I doubt you would notice any difference between any of the grades and using synthetic oil would probably give more net results than worrying about octane.

Just got my Montero out of the shop after some young kid tried to make a right hand turn on ice at 35mph on bald tires in a car. He locked up all four and slid into the side of my Montero, knocking it up a snow drift on the oppisite side (with my 4 yo and baby in the rig). Ah...what happened next you ask.....

Small dent between front and back door...totalled out L front end on car. You would not believe how stong these Monteros are. My wife is now convinced and is going to drive the Montero and give up on the older car she liked to drive.

Where in the world do these idiots get information that SUV's are dangerous?

I havd to replace both doors but no unibody damage.
  • Rocky-road.com sells ome shocks and springs for monteros.is it better to buy them separate or as a set? I found that it costs less to buy per piece than packaged sets.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Glad to hear you and yours are fine - good thing you didn't roll over or run into some immovable object.

tidester, host
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    Strange -- When bought the springs and shocks from Rocky-Road, the price was the same no matter if you ordered 2-ea. front and rear spings and front and rear shocks or as a package. The price worked out the same.

Brill -- Good to hear everyone is ok.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to call ARB again and discuss the "cups".
  • Have noticed an interesting sound coming from around the shocks area where if I stop a little harder than normal or press on the gas, I get a crunching type thump. Took it to the dealer, at first they could not figure it out, but, they also heard it. When a second service guy looked at it, he suspected that the bushings were worn out and that was making the sounds. Will cost me around $800. Guys, what do you think?
  • can't really help you there.this is a montero site.

thanks for your responses.anyway, rocky-road.com has ome shock/springs set for $551. if i buy separately it will cost me only $276.i need to call those guys.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    There is a Mitsubishi Montero Sport discussion here.

Steve, Host
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    I use only regular, and mostly Chevron. Average 15-16 on 60/40 city/highway driving. I've tried mid-grade with no discernable difference in gas mileages or power. FYI, 2001 Montero LTD, 40k miles.