Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• karno1karno1 Posts: 33
    Realisitcally speaking, the Land Cruiser is a bit bigger than the Montero, and has a V8 which makes for a big difference. That is the one true thing that is lackign in the Montero, the fact that it doesn't have a V8. If it did, then yes, it would be ranked in the same class. As for now, it is not. The montero is more grouped in the lines of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, and Acura MDX. I too am from NJ, and see only a few of the Montero's on the road, yet I plan to make a difference by picking up one of these Montero's shortly, give or take 2 months.
  • Will get more details when I talk to the mechanic tomorrow; the "Check Engine" light was related to some wiring problem in one of the rear tail lights. I tried to get the service manager to explain how a problem in the rear light could cause a computer problem, without blowing a fuse. Mechanic had already left. Strange but, thinking back the "Check Engine" did come on both times when I was breaking. I need to put a couple of hundred miles on it before I will call it fixed.

The rear cargo mat came in at $66.+ tax and is a custom fit that looks like it will work fine.

So all is well and happy days here again with sunshine and 60 degrees in the forecast; just a little better than the NE. Spring is here! (for a couple of days).
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    The reason the Acura MDX was picked #1 in my mind is a combination of the following.

Acura (and Toyota) support Mags, TV etc with many more $$$.

The comparisons usually give have too many catagories for handling when this criteria would be lower on my list. When you have 0-60, braking distance and cornering tests then only one test for Off road ability its no wonder that the car like SUV's come out on top.

The MDX is a poor off road SUV and a good on road SUV although the road noise and stiffer ride may have me looking at the BMW if I wanted a car-like SUV with power
  • ehollisehollis Posts: 14
    In response to the request for what I paid for Monty, it was 34881 plus 8.25 % tax plus $105. After hearing 34300, I'm interested in what others have paid. (Sometimes they give you a low price, but add a bunch of extras like window etching, etc.)
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    Agree that the Monte, with its V-6,is not in the same class as the Landcruiser. The Monte is kind of a 'tweener between mid sized and full sized SUV's, although practically speaking, it is a mid-sized SUV, with many of the advantages of a full size (towing being the one glaring exception). With regard to why you see more LC's than Monte's on the road, remember that for 2001 Montero only made 30,000 ltds--which I think is a plus--it's always easy to find in the parking lot.

It's my understanding that Mitsubishi was caught off guard by the initial high demand for this vehicle. Personally, I hope the market doesn't get flooded with Monte's--I did not buy it for the novelty factor, but I have to admit, having owned it for six months, the novelty factor is kinda cool...
  • Someone please explain the difference between an AWD mini-van and an Acura MDX? To me if it does not have a low range 4WD for going off road, it's fancy AWD mini-van. It's all a marketing ploy, look close at the Honda mini-van then look at the fancy Acura MDX. That's my two cents worth!

"Check Engine" light still off, service manager still can't explain problem except the taillight found a ground through the computer. He is to send me a fax with better detail.
    I see you paid the 8.25% sales tax, which means you are probably from N.Y. Mind sharing which dealership you went to? what was the $105 fee for? I've seen most people on this post paid an avg. of about 34,500 for this truck....which seems like a fair price to me. It's just unbelievable when I hear someone paying something like 33,700 for the truck, which really throws me off. Best bet is to always aim for the lowest, and then work your way up....
    Yep, I'm in NY, and I went to Bay Ridge Mitsu. They were fine to deal with.

The $105 fee was for:

64.50 NY State Registration
    30.00 Tax (forgot what for)
    5.00 plate chg
    5.50 title chg.

Exactly what I would have paid at DMV.

34,500 sounds low. It's actually below invoice. Can anyone confirm this price? Were there a lot of additional charges? I'd love to hear that someone paid 33,700. (Or maybe I wouldn't) (smile)

Total out the door price for me was 37,864.36

34881 truck (Limited, rear AC, running bds)
    2877 tax
    105 tags,reg
    You got a fair deal.
    Don't forget, you got an option thrown in...."running boards". Thats not a standard item. Technically, you too paid 34,500. The running boards run for about $360 extra. Not a bad deal my friend.....

Read some of the past posts, and you'll come across the person that paid 33,700 for the ltd., w/ rear air.
  • I bought my 2001 full size Monte with rear air, front air defector (looks good)and factory hitch all for $34,000. + tax/Lic. I walked after 2 different test drives and best price negotiations; but the key to the negotiations was having then run a credit check and letting knowing they were dealing with "live one". They called 1 week after my second walk and offered a deal I could not refuse; while they were having a sales promotion going in mid Feb. Got the 4.9% financing. Patience pays off!
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    I paid $35,000 plus tax/lic. for LTD w/ rear air, running board and rear spoiler (which was listed at $999 and $399 on the window), plus the sunroof wind deflector. Also got the 4.9% for 60 months.

BTW, I got my Monty back yesterday after replacing the dricer's side mirror, tightening the running boards, and installing the sunroof wind deflector. Mirror doesn't look to be much better (still some distortion, maybe designed that way for wider FOV). Sunroof deflector is HUGE! Nearly covers half of the sunroof. Not sure this is a good thing. --Jimmy
    Hmm....thats why I'm not too keen on getting the wind deflector....takes up half of that huge sunroof. If its wind noise you are worried about, simply roll down one of the rear windows to increase air flow, thus lessening the wind noise. As you know, when air enters, it usually requires an outlet to pass thru. Why did your running boards require tightening?

Is it hard to get approved for this 4.9% financing? Don't know about you guys, but I sure do have bills,ie.: mortgage, couple of credit cards...etc. any advice?
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    WRT the wind deflector: it's not the wind buffeting that annoyed me, so rolling down a window doesn't help. It has nothing to do with the air pressure inside the cabin. It's just the design of the pop-up metal deflector. If you look at it, it's quite large, vertical, and has oval cutouts in it. I'm assuming that because of the massive sunroof, there were some design compromises in that piece. Even around town you can really notice the wind noise as it hits the metal deflector. Do I still enjoy the XL sunroof? You bet.

As for the 4.9%, I suppose all you could do is ask them to run a credit check. I have a mortgage, credit card debt, etc. as well. But I believe as long as you don't have any 60-90-120 day delinquencies in your credit record, too much outstanding debt relative to your income, or any judgements against you, I think you should be approved.
    Thanks Mp19fan!

I'm gonna try out the monty w/o the deflector, and see how it goes. if I can tollerate the wind noise, then great!, if not, I sure would hate to see that huge sunroof cut down to half w/ that visor taking up most of the space.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    I would not have picked the MDX #1. It truely is not an off road vehicle to any degree. My montero sales rep told me he has had several people who returned them and bought Montero's after they found out how poorly it does off road.
  • I think there should be two classifications of SUV's. How about "Off Road/On Road" SUVs for the Montes, Land Cruisers, etc. and "On Road Only" SUVs for the Acura MDXs, Oldsmobile Bravada. What do you think? To me a SUV is to get off road and I do. Putting the Monte in the same class a MDX is not right. If you want a luxiary AWD mini-van get a MDX.
    I don't think its that easy to return a $40k vehicle. After all, its not like one is returning a toy at toys r' us. No offense, I'm a true Monty fan here. Yet, you can't always believe what a sales man tells ya. Those that did return the MDX's, had to have taken a loss when giving it back. Granted, they did make a better decision the second time around when going for the Monty. Can't wait to get mine!
    According to dealer, qualifications for 4.9 are as follows:

credit score 700 or above
    more than 4 trade lines (credit accounts)
    more than 3 yrs credit history
    Less than 8 credit inquiries in the past 6 months.

Gonna put in another plug for fightingchance.com. I just read their book "Car Buyers and leasers negotiating bible" A must read for anyone getting a Mitsu Montero.

Also, pls go to carbuyingtips.com. Good advice. (In fact it was there that I learned about fightingchance.com)

Another question: Does anyone have a problem with the rear door on the mitsu? Mine squeaks real bad when I open, and it doesn't seem to close solidly, although the door open indicator is not on. Just doesn't "feel" right.
    Thanks for the tips Ehollis!

What if one were to score slighty shy of 700 points, but rather like 655.....would they be approved, or would they simply be denied the 4.9% rate?
    I'm not sure, however, before you let the mitsu dealer check, do it yourself at www.qspace.com. for 7.95, you can get a comprehensive credit rating from Equifax, along with your credit score. If you just want your score, that's only 3.95. Important: this will not count as an inquiry, and if you let the mitsu dealer do it, it will count. (If you let 8 mitsu dealers check, you're automatically disqualified from the loan.) Not good.

Then I would ask the dealer what they could do for you, if your credit rating was on the borderline. Above all, don't let anyone check until you're ready to buy. (It's against the law for them to run a credit check on you w/out your knowledge, but after you give them a deposit, they can.)

I paid cash, so I'm not an expert on this loan, but I did investigate it as an option.

Anyone have the rear door problem I mentioned in a previous post?