Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• I would like to keep my 93 Montero running, but after 264,300 miles, I'm considering a used, replacement engine. What year engines, other than a 1993, can I drop in to replace my 93?
  • One thing you have to say. This car is unbelievable in snow. Just put on a set of Firestone Destination tires. The car handles better, is much quieter, and in snow...wow!!!!
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    I'd start looking at a possible turbo diesel conversion.
    Finally got my mechanic convinced to take out the rubber pads from the spring purchase on the shocks when he did the recommended re-alignment after 3000 miles.

The one on the front right side just would not stay in correct position. This seems to have cured the squeak and the metal to metal contact is not noisy as he had predicted.

He is concerned about the spring staying in alignment since the ARB-OME purchase is not cupped like the OEM model.

We'll see what happens.
  • viet2viet2 Posts: 66
    Good news, KYB now or very soon to have replacement shocks for the Montero.
  • softhds1 or others, I have a 2001 LTD Montero with 36,950 miles, bought in Feb. 2001, so less than 36 months but over 36K miles and my radio apparently is going out with intermittent very high static for both CD and radio. It may work fine for 10 seconds to 5 minutes then goes to high static, even when on low volume, and have to shut it down. Has anyone had this or similar radio problems? I plan to take it to the dealer, but concerned he may not cover under warranty and that would be a real bummer. Does anyone have experience on Montero's warranty that is within time frame, but outside mileage? Any information would be appreciated!

On another issue, I recently got Bridgestone Dual A/T Revos put on and they seem Great! I took a 2000 mile trip with some bad road with snow & hardpack and they worked great. I hard time finding the right size in the NW in time for my trip, so I went to a little wider tire 275/70-16.
  • Had the same problem at around 10000 miles and had the radio replaced under warranty. JUst recently, after a extremely heavy rain it happened again, but was gone the next day. I dont know if it is moisture related, but the static is independant of the volume control and is on am and fm
  • Thanks for reply, my static problem also seems to be independent of the volume control and very load when it comes on. I though it might be a wet speaker problem, but you would think it would be proportional to the volume control. When they replaced the radio, do you think any work was done on the speakers? Anyone else with similar problems?
  • I also think it has to do with a wet speaker, though I find no trace of moisture anywhere. The noise seems to only come from the subwoofer in the trunk. No work was done on my speakers when the radio was replaced. Dont know if it is important, but the factory radio was changed in the 2002 model year from the one we have
    Sounds like it might be a loose fitting, or moisture / corrosion (or broken wire making intermittent contact), on the antenna cable at one end (antenna end, more likely for loose / corrosion) or the other (input into radio), or like-wise the speaker wiring to the sub woofer.

I had a similar problem on my Honda. It was the antenna was loose on the rear finder causing a grounding intermittent.
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought a 275 tire required an 8-inch wide wheel?
  • Check the Dueler site below, but the rim range is the same for 265/16-70s or 275/16-70s which is 7-9" rims for both tires are 8" rim width. The diameter is 31.2" vrs. 30.7 for the 265s.

<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo>
  • It was a nice sunny day here today and the radio worked fine on the way home. It sure seems like a moisture problem. You might know, I was planning to take it to the shop tomorrow.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    My bridgestone revo a/t work extremely well in all conditions. I have been places in 2wd that took 4wd with the stock tires...no lie

I am happy to hear about alternate shocks coming out. Even with the ARB spings/shocks I would love to have something stiffer/more dampening control.
  • Let us know what you find out when you bring the radio in for service
  • Besides the new DVD entertainment system in lieu of the sunroof, anyone heard of other changes??
  • Had the same problem with my 2001 LTD Infinity system, Dealer replaced unit under warrantee even though it was an intermittent problem that did not happen at the time the dealer looked at it. I have not had a problem since. You should not have a problem being 1000 miles over warrantee, tell them it started before 36,000 and this was the first time you had the opportunity to bring the vehicle in. Good luck!
  • rained today, the popping static was back though I notice it seems to be coming out of the passenger side only and occurs whether radio or cd
  • new to this site. I recently changed my wheel/tire combination. i now have 265/70 17s on 17x8 chrome rims tires are michellin cross terrain suv. this combo seems to be the best for my needs.wider stance and higher ground clearance.offroad is much better and better cornering. i'll soon get OME shocks springs.let me know if anyone has gone plus sizing.
  • The 3.8 V-6 will have 230 to 240 HP!
  • I cancelled my appointment with Mitsubishi shop in mid December on the radio/CD static problem, when it disappeared after the nice sunny dry day here today. I have been careful not to get rain or snow on the door speakers and windows up tight when wet. The radio/CD has worked fine since mid December; so, I am convinced it is a moisture related problem as others have experienced. Also, it is not quite out of warranty. I plan to let the dealer know I have an intermittent problem and put it on my maintenance records if replacement required in the future.

Loving my Bridgestone Dueler Revos for the snow & icy roads.
  • magillamagilla Posts: 75
    We have a '98 Montero (full sized) that we've enjoyed very much. This morning it turned 60K miles. The dealer had been great - until now.

The problem is that the center row, center seatbelt has disintegrated (the male end, not the receiver). Let me just state for the record that I have never in all my years of driving seen a seatbelt malfunction let alone disintegrate like that. On top of that, now the passenger side, center row seatbelt won't retract. For a vehicle that's never been in an accident, this is a problem. Also, the center row, center belt is RARELY, if ever used. Here's the rub that worsens the problem: The dealer says it's a 3/36 item. Mitsubishi and I both say it's 5/60. Then they look up my VIN. Date of service - I'm a couple of days out of service now. When I brought up the problem to them, I wasn't. Mitsubishi says to take it to the dealer and let them look at it. That's tomorrow. I can tell you this: if one of my children gets hurt between now and the time this issue is resolved, it won't be good for the dealer that was trying to weasel out of covering it when I brought it up. I've been fighting with the dealer for months now.

So tomorrow, you'll know if you want to buy another Mitsubishi product or not. I've not talked with anyone else that's had this issue. Anyone? I'll let you all know what happens.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    Brand new 2003, LTD w/ premium pkg for $28K. Can I do better or is it as low as it gets?
  • Saturday I trade my once loved, now hated 2001 Mitsubishi Monteron Ltd. in on a Nissan. Good thing Mitsubishi makes a good truck because I would have been in deep trouble with any "real" issues. I have exhausted getting my truck serviced at ALL the Mitsubishi dealerships within driving distance. The ONE that was half way decent STOPPED selling Mitsubishi's late last year. Furthermore, Mitsubishi corporate claimed no control over their dealers and did not want any parts of a warranty dispute. So, now I try Nissan. I am use to Honda service, but they don't have a big enough vehicle!

I used this board before I purchased Mitsubishi and the truck has been good to us, but the dealerships have not. When I think about it, a lot of the posts were form guys in CA that liked to go off-road and fix the truck themselves. So, I'm sure they love it since they don't have to deal with Mitsu. service. If you depend on others, like I do, to fix your truck, RUN THE OTHER WAY!

Now to my question........

Has anyone traded a 2001 Full Size Ltd. recently? I have one with a hitch, running boards, sunroof visor, window visors and hood visor. There is also a brand new, never used set of mats still in the plastic. It has 63,000 miles on it. Anyone, know what I should be getting on trade? 90% of my offers are for $12,500. I have one guy saying up to $14,00, but he won't even guarantee $12,500 and he is 1 1/2 hours away. Any input is appreciated.
    ...is not full-size, last time I checked.

Also, if it's such a wonderful vehicle then what else, except for fluid changes and the timing belt every now and then do you need to service so often? Both can be done at any decent service station.

You either have way too much money to throw away to sell it so early and so cheap or you just wanted a van in the first place and there's nothing wrong with that. No need to blame it on the Mitsu service (or is really the ever smaller dealer network).
    I don't think anyone mentioned it yet but on Jan. 5th Mitsu announced their new and better powertrain warranty applicable to ALL 2004s, even the EVO (10 year/100K miles). Still not as good as my 2002 Trooper but at least there are good chances Mitsubishi will actually stay in business that long :-)

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2004010530337&m- - - - ime=ASC

Any news on when 2004 Monteros will be available?
  • Either I'm taking your tone wrong, or you are making a lot of assumptions that you shouldn't.

My dealer did a horrible brake job, if you must know. And refused to make it good.

And when the truck was new, the same dealer broke my roof, when the sunroof got stuck open. Told me I was lucky that they even fixed the roof because it was an aftermarket roof. It was STANDARD. They just didn't know what they were talking about.

Another dealership needed 3+ weeks notice for an oil change.

So, your assumption that I want to throw money away is an uninformed comment. There are many other issues I have had with dealers. If you want details, I would be glad to share with you. But, please don't get obnoxious with me. I want anything but a van, but the van has the room I need!

Another dealer
    Sorry about the tone in my previous posting - I was actually whispering when I wrote it...

1. I'm glad they finally fixed your roof - the whole unpleasant experience is behind you now.

2. Oil changes can be done anywhere, they'll do a decent job, won't void your warranty, and save you some money in the long-run (plus you wouldn't need a 3-week notice)

3. Paying for fixing the brakes yourself now is probably ten times more cost-effective than trading the 2-3-year old truck in and losing so much money in the process.

4. You said yourself you really NEED the room that vans offer.

I still don't see a problem here - unless it's the warranty service you need (and it's always a hit or miss with any brand) I would run away from the dealers to do my scheduled service, not these outstanding vehicles. I don't think Nissan (unless it's Infinity) is going to make you any happier.
  • dcmooredcmoore Posts: 14
    Hello--

I'm considering a used 2003 Montero Limited. I previously owned a '99 Isuzu Trooper which I liked a lot. Unfortunately, it was recently totaled in a collision (I walked away without a scratch). I've been looking around in SoCal for used Troopers but haven't seen anything yet that fits what I want in terms of price or mileage, so thought I'd broaden my search to include Monteros because there are so many more of them advertised for sale.

From all the reviews I've read, it sounds like the Montero is right along the lines of what I'm looking for and I'm particularly interested in a 2003 model to get the bigger engine. However, I noticed that Mitsu recommends premium fuel for it. Does anyone know whether the 2003 Montero can get along fine on "regular" unleaded?

I'd also be interested in reading any recommendations you might have regarding whether to go after the 2003 Montero, reliability issues, etc. Thanks!

dcmoore
    Hey, I have a 2002 Trooper LS and I'm also seriously considering adding a 2003 or 2004 Monty to our stable :-)

I think the concensus was that using regular fuel on any pre-2003 was fine though you wouldn't tell that to your dealer.

In 2003 they still state that Premium fuel is 'recommended' (note: not 'required') and due to the increased compression ratio (10:1 from 9:1) on the newer engine, it probably makes a little bit more sense too. I would still think that regular fuel is fine for this gas hog though and wouldn't hesitate to feed it to it myself (especially if I were in Cali!).

P.S. I'm also considering Axiom but I can't find any that's too cheap and I'd have to go all the way to Chicago to get one w/ the good ole' TOD. I saw some used Axiom listings on carsdirect.com today and the pricing was decent. Remember that those things have the beefed up Trooper engine in them and 2004s now got direct injection (250HP and mileage in the 20s on regular) - definitely something to consider...