Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

Comments

• rk9404rk9404 Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Trailblazer LT with all of the problems that you have listed. My speedometer went right around 41,000 miles, then the oil gauge at 46,000, finally the gas gauge at 66000. My Chevy dealer told me this past May that they are replacing them free of charge up to 65,000 miles. Mine went at 41,000, but the recall didn't come out until it was too late! I drive my gas off the miles that I go and try to guess my speed. I have tried calling to no avail and the dealers are pretty much saying sorry about your luck. It is infuriating. Then around 50,000 the Service Engine light came on, which was the infamous O2 sensor. My parents have a 05 Silverado and got the Class Action Lawsuit letter which covers just about every Chevy product EXCEPT the Trailblazer. I can't even trade the thing in because it is worth pennies. I cannot wait to finish paying it off and go buy a new Nissan. I will never buy another GM product. :mad: :mad: :lemon:
  • I have Trailblazer 4.2 LTZ (2002) where is the elettric wire of the speedometer? please help my.
  • No longer a proud owner of a 2004 TB and a 2005 Saturn ION (wife)

I had this problem (speedometer crazy and then fuel gauge etc...) on my 04 TrailBlazer back in Jan-Feb 2008. Finally I decided to google the problem and I came to this forum. I called the 800 number and spoke with Derek who was very nice and professional. He had me take my SUV to the dealership who confirmed that the Instrument Panel was bad and would need to be replaced. Derek escalated my call to Brittney who called me today to tell me that GM would not assist me with the repair as my vehicle was a Trailblazer and NOT a Tahoe which was covered. Geee Whiz that's nice... since I bought the 30,000.00 vehicle and not the 40,000.00 vehicle I get screwed!!!

I have to get my car later but I will NOT purchase another GM vehicle.
  • Just had my wife's TB speedometer repaired by Specmo Enterprises
    1200 E. Avis Dr. Madison Heights, MI 48071 Main:(Local) 248.307.2570
    Main:(Toll Free) 800.545.7910 I live just a few miles away, the dealer told me about them, so I contacted them and they had it fixed in just a few hours, for under $250.00 call them and see what they can do for you.
  • My TB 2004 speedometer just stopped moving this afternoon. It's only has 51,000 miles. I found this forum and now know it is a common problem with GM vehicles! It's so sad that our own American car companies cannot produce a better product than Japanese counterparts. Just watch three CEOs testified in front of congress make me sick of them. Why bail them out while we have to pay for bad products they produced.
  • EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION!!!!! You need to write a letter to the GM complaints department. I just did this and they are reimbursing me $300 out of the $600 it cost to repair the instrument cluster on my 2005 Trailblazer. Write the letter!
  • customer loyalty to one dealer does pay off. I called my dealer I buy all my cars from. I was horrified what I had read here. My car was out of warranty for time not mileage. He said he would call me back. 10 minutes latter I got a call and he told me he would take care of the whole thing and not to worry. That may be why I am loyal to one dealer. It pays. I trust my dealer on price and value and advice. He is the professional in the car business not me. Oh it is a very small town in the middle of no where. My part will be in next week. 30 minutes to change the cluster. :P
  • I did the research on my 04 and there is 4 grounding points on driver side of block have bad connections. This underneath all of the intake stuff on my Vortec motor, which means - I bought the wife a nice GPS to read Speedo {low on priority list}

Steven Luckie
    04 TrailBlaxer
    05 John Deere {BMW K1200LT}
  • I called GM at 800 222-1020 and complained about my speedometer. I have a 2003 Avalanche with 111,000 miles. He said it had too many miles. I said "yeah, but I read online that GM is fixing many of them that are out of the service agreement anyway and I started experiencing the problem before 70,000 miles but just found out that GM was repairing them" he said OK. He asked what dealer I used, he put me on hold and called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for me. He said they will run diagnostics on the truck to make sure the speedo wasn't broken from misuse and if its determined that the speedo failed on its own they will pay for a new cluster AND the diagnostic and labor fee.

My appointment for the repair is Monday, January 5, 2009. If I am successful in getting this cluster repaired for free, I will post my GM claim number, so that others can use my claim number in defense of having theirs replaced for free as well.

When you call, have your VIN number, and the name and number of a dealer that you prefer.
  • Hello everyone--
    I like many of you have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. My speedomoter also has started acting up. Sometimes 70 acts as 0 and sometimes it is even 120. I brought it to the dealership and it was diagnosed as the speedomoter cluster. They told me that this is a very frequent problem!! :lemon: They also advised me to contact GM and to contact my local Better Business Bureau. I did this and of course GM told me i was out of my warranty and they would not pay to fix this problem. What does it have to do with my warranty because they put in a defective part!! They have recalled this exact problem on vehicles simular to the Trailblazer though (which i am assuming is the same parts used). I am still working with the Better Business Bureau though to try to get this recalled. I would like to suggest everyone else that is having this problem to please go online and write their Better Business Bureau. They more complaints they get the more likely they are to do something. So please please please report this problem!! Thank you everyone who will take the time to do this. Also if you do get it fixed save your receipt and they will reimburess you if it does become a recall. And you can also still report it even if you have had it fixed.
  • Why don't all of you people just fix your clusters yourselves. I figued out how to fix my 2004 sierra denali truck's cluster (speedometer was erratic) after having the dealer basically tell me to get lost. I help other people up here in Canada by fixing their clusters for them. It is a very easy fix if you have the new cluster parts and can solder and if you are even just a little mechanically inclined. I hate seeing everybody mad about these problems and I try to help as many as I can locally. Too bad GM wasn't as helpful.
  • Were you successful in getting the repair? If so , what's your claim number?
    Thanks
  • jmaherjmaher Posts: 4
    This will never be recalled because the newer models don't have the problem and it is not a safety issue. It sounds like from this forum though that once in a while you can convince GM or your dealer to fix it, so keep trying -- just don't hold your breath for a recall.

It is also heartening to hear all of the good experiences with your dealers, I'm glad good stories exist -- frankly, my local Chevrolet dealer in Carroll County MD doesn't operate at such high standards, so while I love my Trailblazer I haven't taken it back for service in quite some time. Luckily I was able to find an HONEST local proprietor to handle any work.
  • Hello. I noticed in your post that you were able to fix your cluster. I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and the speedometer just gave out. I have a very handyman and he would be capable of fixing it if he knew how. Just wanted to know what magic you performed! Thanks!
  • We have a 2004 Trailblazer and the speedometer started going crazy at about 57,000 miles. It read well below the 120 mark. We went online to google what to do and a guy said to unscrew the negative side of the battery cable and just lightly tap it to spark. You don't need to take it all of the way off, just enough to get it loose. Spark it until it moves down to zero. Then screw it back on. My TB actually started with no key in the ignition, all you have to do is tap the brakes and it will turn off. It is just a quick fix because it went out about 2 weeks later and has again once since then. If you don't have the money to get it fixed, this will work temporarily. My next option is to get ahold of GM and see what the heck they are going to do to fix these problems. I really like my TB and would actually like to trade in for the one with the third row seating, but if GM can't take care of their customers I may be looking for another SUV.
  • llcj1llcj1 Posts: 1
    The speedometer failed in our 2004 Trailblazer at about 54,000 miles. Thanks to this blog, I got some great advice to call the GM 800 #. My husband called, talked to customer service, explained the problem, and told them we had heard that they had covered the cluster repair for others. We contacted our dealer and were told the part would be paid by GM, but not the labor. We had the repair done, the dealership submitted the cost of the entire repair, labor included, and GM paid it all This is a huge problem and probably should be on a recall. Don't hesitate to call GM, or have your dealer call them, if you have a problem with your cluster panel.

Thanks for the advice,
    llcj1
  • jwil81jwil81 Posts: 1
    I have a 05' TB EXT. Just had the samething happen yesterday. Needle in between 0 and 120 when it should be at 0. The next time I started it 0 was 119. This morning when I started it 0 was 114. I called GM last night with no help. I filed a BBB complaint online last night. I just don't understand how they can recall the dash cluster in a truck and suv models except the TB. It's the same damn thing! Hope we get somewhere.
  • Do you wish to share the idea on how?
  • You have to take the cluster apart and then replace the defective guage components with the new updated components. Then you reassemble the cluster and it is done.
  • Where do I send the letter?