Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• The transfer case is the same as the trucks, and so is the front suspension. The rear is the same as teh truck also. The front is the astro/ s10 diff it looks like. The stub axle seals are different though. I rebuilt mine about two weeks ago and gm listed a different stub axle seal, that I had to order. The carrier bearing was the same as the s10 (front diff).

To change the shifting, thats controlled in the pcm. Anything could be commanded depending on how you drive it. The same as the engine control parameters. I can do it for you if you want to send me your pcm...or get another one (about $100) if you need one. It should down shift and stay in 3 rd for most hills. 4th is a .7 overdrive and 60 is really low rpm for it to be able to use 4th.
  • I have a 2007 3500 6L auto that is the chassis for my motorhome. I would like to add extra cooling for the trans and rear axle.
    I tried a deep pan for the trans but it looked like there would be less than 1/4" clearance as the exhaust crossover pipe runs under the rear of the trans pan.
    Anyone know if there is a pan that will fit?

Also looking for an aluminum cover for the diff. Anyone know who makes a good cover.
  • could someone please tell me the differences between the h1500 and h2500 years 2003-2004. I've been looking for a 2500 awd and they are hard to come by. There are a lot of 1500 awd's available and some have suggested that only the rear springs are "beefier" I found a pdf spec sheet from gm which shows the same 6400lb towing capacity for both the h1500 and h2500.

Also if I get one of these is there a small lift kit avaiable for them? could I use the same stuff from the pickups?

Thanks,

Andy
  • The h1500 is the only standard model that comes in AWD.I have an 04 h2500 and looked into this for quite some time.The 2500 and 3500 are not offered in AWD,just the h1500.NOW,you can buy an aftermarket conversion from quigley motors in pennsylvania,they have used vans that are 25/3500 models and ford vans also.OR,you can convert your current 2wd to a 4wd or awd at a covnersion specialty company that puts in a front drive axle,brakes,shift componets,suspension etc.This will run you between 7500 and 10,000 bucks turnkey,meaning you bring it to them as 2wd,and drive away with an awd or 4wd for the cost of 10,ooo bucks.Dont even think of doing the work yourself,there are torsion rotation bars that have to be welded etc(messy) impossible.Check the web for offroad 4wd conversion companies that do vans if you want it done .there are many in most states.california,salt lake city,LA,phoenix are a few.Gm does not offer AWD for 2500/3500 vans from factory.In my opinion,GM has failed,and it is not an option other than the 1500.Towing capacity is both engine,rear spring and transmission related.Not just rear springs and shocks etc.
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I'm currently looking at 2 different 2500 awd's both 2003's, I know that at least one has 8 lug wheels, the other I have not seen up close yet.

I'm also looking at some other 1500 cargo and passenger/conversions and would like to know the real differences. I know you can not get the 2500 in AWD anymore, but the 2003's are the ones I am interested in.

I would love to convert my current van to 4WD but 10k is out of the question right now.

I wish GM made a 3500 155 wb AWD!...Too bad we can't get the Ford Transit in the states.

Thanks,

Andy
  • still wondering extactly what the differences are in the h1500 to the h2500 for towing capacities, suspension and driveline?.
  • 1320jon1320jon Posts: 18
    I d like to learn more about the 2500 awd. When I researched it, I found all advertised awd 2500's to reall be 1500's. Even now, when I do internet searches I find 135 inch wb 2500's awd? Thats odd, thats what my 1500 is.

I think if there was a true 2500 awd, it would have 8 lug wheels, a 6.0 and 4l80e trans instead of the 5.3, 4l60e. My 1500 awd also came with a tow haul mod, trans cooler, hitch. As far as I know of all the 1500vans came withthe 2 piston brakes that were an option on the denali and escaldes when they got the tow option.

The 2500 chassis, was never a torsion bar front end that I know of either. The frames are different.
  • I was driving the other day and my bright light indicater came, I couldn't click it off. When I stopped I turned everything off and took the key out lights won't go off.
    Had to disconnect the battery ground cable to turn them off. . Any info appreicated
  • ballinger19@hotmail.com
  • Your headlight switch may be defective,the rotary switch on the lower left of the steering wheel.You may also have a headlight relay module thats defective.Those are located under the hood i believe.refer to manual for replacing.Since your lights are stuck on,that means the circuit is staying activated,and not being broken when you turn the lights off by the switch.
  • Hello to all , newbie on this site ,have a ? i own a chevy express 1500 mark 111 conversion 1998 5.0 vortec just did a motor swap out had a wiped cam so i found a good deal on e-bay for another 5.0 vortec with a LT1 cam the cam being the only difference of course with new rocker arms ,springs,locks,gaskets now that we finally have the motor in it does not want to start,now the snap -on scan tool reads out no injector pulse width so i am a little worried [,have had trouble in the past with no injector pulse],of course the dreaded pass lock issue,now i did by-pass the pass lock system a little while before i did the motor swap,but i wonder if the pass lock is my whole issue again,or could there be another solution here or how to go from here,any suggestions would be appreciated from the tech heads out there.
  • jgarnaasjgarnaas Posts: 13
    Sounds like the onboard computer isnt recognizing the new engine.Have you reprogramed the computer with the new engine code number.I think that has to be done on all swaps due to epa standards and emmissions,or the brain from the old engine has to be replaced to stay with the old engine
  • sorry for the long delay in responding,thought the computer might have to be done here but before laying out that kinda cash wanted to get the motor to fire up at least,found out that this cam was actually a lt4 hot cam which by talking to summit they say wont work will never run,now every now and then it will stumble sputter for maybe 10 seconds seems like timing and i know computer takes over timing as long as you are tdc after about 2 seconds but this should fire up with starting fluid if only till it burns off,guy i bought motor from swears that this combo will work,after talking tom summit i want to get a stock camshaft only because the top end of this motor is new as i posted so looking for a good price on a 305 hydralic roller cam for the vortec,trying to get the a- hole who sold me this to at least split the cost with me.sorry for the ramble just at my wits end with this .
  • cndworkercndworker Posts: 2
    Hello, not sure if this is the right place for me,

I'm a worker with a 2007 chev express 2500. This van works for a living, as do I.

Would appreciate any experience regarding the best tires and any related info about tire pressure and front end issues.

Feel free to e-mail me

John
  • jgarnaasjgarnaas Posts: 13
    I put 17 inch wheels with 265/70/r17 tires on my 2500 van.I used goodyear wrangler silent armor tires,and like them alot,no problems.It raised the van height up an inch more from the ground.Use a load class E tire for light duty trucks and suv.
  • tireman9tireman9 Posts: 8
    John
    There are two different things to consider.

Tire load capacity and Performance

Load capacity is controlled by size and inflation pressure. With a 2500 (3/4 ton) I suspect you plan on carrying some loads. Your van came with a Tire Placard that specifies the original tire size and the recommended inflation for the expected load. You should not run a smaller size tire or less inflation unless you have put the van on a scale to be sure you are not overloading the tires.

For "Performance" or Ride, Hanbling, Wet, Dry and Snow traction. The first question I would ask as a tire engineer is "What do you like about your current tire and What do you not like?"
    Once you have identified the performance characteristics that you want then the tire engineer or sales person has the information needed to fill your wants.
  • Hello, This is my first time here and sure won't be the last. I own a 2003 GMC Savanna Pro AWD 2500 3/4 Ton Cargo Van purchased new at a dealership in Orlando, FL. My van listed for $35,500 new ( less than 5,000 miles ) and after watching the dealer sit on it for almost a year I picked it up for $24,000. The milege was put on by the dealer, after seeing it in a GMC- CHEV Vehicle Show somewhere in the Northeast, purchasing it, driving it back to the big O and thinking they would make a killing on it. Only problem, no one in the area wanted a full size AWD Van. I did. Lived in the Pacific Northwest for 17 years. Grew up around 4X4's. At the time in 2003 gas was $1.45 in Central Florida. The 31 gallon tank was perfect until it went to $4 after the multiple hurricanes and now at $3.50 with no end in sight. I'm a master finish carpenter and carry about 800-1,000lbs of tools at any one time.This thing is the cats meeeooow! At the time construction was BOOMING! While all the other trades where fighting to park in front of the homes we worked on ( 8,000-32,000 S.F. ) I pulled around to the back through the DEEP sugar sand where only 4X4 ventured and unloaded. Loved IT. The PRO package consists of 12 volt lighting throughout and the 3 sections where windows would be ( 2 on driver side, 1 on P.S. ) they are solid panels which open, pop out and lift up with a push button FOB without even leaving the drivers seat. All I do is push them close and the automated locks keep them shut. I built real nice wood shelves to hold tools, I can pull out through the panels when open. First thing I did was put a 3,000 watt inverter under the passenger seat. Took out the factory AM-FM stereo to make room for a JVC MP3 CD-RW head unit ( I burn my own MP3's) connected to a 2,500 watt 5-way AMP going to 4-250 watt mono amps pushing 4-12"Subs, 4-8"Drivers, 4-6.5"Mids and 4-3"Tweeters. When the sub-thumpers pull up next to me I drown them out with Classic Rock N Roll. Put a back-up camera system in with a 5"monitor. Ran out of money with the custom hood & window deflectors, carpeted dash cover and a Reese V 5 Hitch that stays flush with the full-size rear underside tire (above the axle) battery isolator with another group 27 battery for the accs. These vans come with either an 8.6", 9.75" or 10.5" Limited Slip, Locking or AWD rear axle. The transfer cases are all the same, Borg Warner model 4473 RPO NP3, a one speed full time AWD. The transfer case is a planetary differential gear set which provides a 35 percent (front) 65 percent (rear) split, full time. The brakes and rotors come in 3 sizes the JH5, JH6 and JH7. All are the same diameter but have different thicknesses. The calipers also have either single or daul cylinders on all 4 wheels. Only the 10.5" rear axle comes with the eight lug step-up. Must go. My bad. Suns coming up. Don
  • New to this fourm. Just saying Hi! We have a 2001 Express LT (factory conversion van). This were great vans from the factory, but we changed it up alittle. Added 4 Leather Captains Chairs and a rear fold down bed from a 2005 Conversion van. Also took the GM track system seat tracks out. Added a DVD to the factory entertainment system.
  • russian2russian2 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, sorry fore my bad english. I have GMC Savana cargo van 1500 avd 2009 year. Can enebody help me, i want to make lift on this car, i want litle body lift and litle suspension, i need link where i can buy, without any problems, when parts come to Russia, i want this parts install correct with any surprises, maybe i can buy from different chevy or gmc car, more important fore me suspension lift, whithout problems fore front suspention, simple and relieble. I understand this truck, not jeep, but i am use this car in Russia, we have bad roads sometimes, sometimes no roads. I hope somebody undestand me.