Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lost Reatta

does anyone actually remember the reatta. I saw one this morning and realized it is one of the cars that i hardly see. Actually that is the fist one i have ever seen. I think it is the coolest car! it has power seats, power mirrors, digital speedometer, for 1990 this is like the coolest car... why arent there more of them???

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I owned a 1991, the last year of production. That year they built 2000 or so. I think that there were only 5 years of production (1987-1991). They made more than 10,000 total, perhaps around 50,000?
  • how did u like it and what made you buy it?
    It was a fun car while I owned it. I bought it partly because there was a good incentive on it, and partly because I had owned a Corvette before. The Reatta was no Corvette, but was a nice car, better than the Corvette for day to day use. I have gotten to the point where I think that a station wagon would be a nice sort of vehicle now.

I think both the Reatta and Allante were only partly successful because of the price tags that they had. The Reatta was an experiment in a new building concept, where the parts came to the car, rather than using an assembly line.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    was a nice, smooth looking car, but I guess it was overpriced for what you got, and a 2-seater is only going to have limited appeal. I think the convertible version is pretty cool though.

I heard that touch screen in the center of the dash, which was shared with the Riviera, could be troublesome. Did all Reattas have it, or did they phase it out after a few years?
    My 1991 model did not have the touch screen. The touch screen was introduced on the 1986 Riviera and the Reatta also had it. I think that Buick dropped the touch screen for the 1989 model year, and maybe the Toronado picked it up?

My 1991 model had a list priced over $30,000. My 1995 Riviera, with more stuff, was priced about the same.
  • I have got a 1990 black convertible I LOVE it sooooo much... :)
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    The Reatta was another good idea by GM that they failed to execute. Just like the Pontiac Fiero. Remember that one? At that time, GM did not have the engines available for a sporty convertible. I believed the 3.8 V6 was the only engine available. This engine is good for a sedan but it's not high-revving and certainly did not belong in the Reatta. Just my opinion.
  • Yep, another example of the ol' GM "well, that's good enough...let's do lunch" routine.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,119
    Shifty, has that attitude changed since Bob Lutz came on board, or is it the the same old, same old GM, in you opinion?
    a supercharged Reatta? I know many consider the supercharger to be a bandaid approach to power, but it could have made the Reatta pretty quick. Also, I guess if the Reatta had held on long enough, maybe the later 3.8's, with 200-205 hp might have made for a pretty lively car? Unfortunately, I think the 3.8 only had around 165-170 hp during the Reatta's run.

As for GM's attitude since Lutz came on board, well I do think the products are better. Better fit and finish, body gaps, nicer looking materials (even if they're still just using hard plastics) and some improvement in engines. But I think the "it's good enough" attitude is about the same as before. Sure, the products themselves might be better, but they HAD to be! I remember when my Dad bought his used 2003 Regal. It was September of '03, and the '04 Malibu had only been out for a bit. We went back to the dealer the day after he bought it, because they had an '02 Intrepid R/T I wanted to look at. I remember an '04 Malibu parking next to my Dad's Regal, and at the time it just seemed a world apart. Even from a distance you could see the tighter gaps and better fit and finish. And on the inside, the difference was even more astounding.

But I don't think it's enough to make people switch from their Hondas and Toyotas. It's good enough, but it has to be better, if people are going to switch.
    I don't recall that a supercharger was offered, either as part of a model upgrade, or as an option. It would have been a good idea, though; so good, in fact, that one has to wonder why Buick didn't offer this choice. Was it yet another example of the "good enough" attitude, or was there a technical or marketing reason why the supercharged 3.8 wasn't offered in the Reatta?
  • Well the Reatta was deal by the time the Series II 3800 engines came out and those were the first Supercharged 3800s. They never did a series 1 Supercharged 3800.

You can't even put a supercharger from a supercharged 3800 onto a NA 3800. Everything about the engine is different. THe SC 3800 motors used completly different heads.
    (forehead smack) Yeah, of course!
    but what was the last year for the Reatta? Maybe 1993? I know that was the last year for the Riviera upon which it was based. There was no 1994 Riviera, then I think the next Riviera, one of the first G-body cars, came out as an early 1995.

Was 1995 when they finally got the 3.8 up to ~200 hp, or was that 1996?
  • How old were you when your dad bought the car? Because my dad and I go test-driving just for fun, not actually to buy cars :P You mentioning going back to the dealer to look at another car reminds me of that.
    How old were you when your dad bought the car?

Oh, this was just a few years ago, September of 2003. I would've been 33. My Dad was 57 at the time, and I remember joking with him that he was just barely old enough to buy a Buick!

Dad hadn't had a car since roughly 1984. He had been relying on public transportation for much of that time, but finally got tired of it. Especially since he could drive to work in about 15 minutes, but public transportation took about an hour!

We went out one Saturday, looking at cars. My Dad wanted me to go with him because I'm a bit more knowledgeable about modern cars, and I guess I have a bit more experience dealing with the buying process...since he had been out of the loop almost 20 years!

I initially wanted to go down to the same Dodge dealer where I bought my 2000 Intrepid, but he wanted to check out a couple other places first. But we ended up down at my dealer, anyway. When we saw this 2003 Regal LS on the lot, it just seemed too good of a deal to pass up. $10,995, for a car that probably stickered for about $26K new, and was still in the tail end of its model year. It did have about 19,500 miles on it, and had been a rental, but we couldn't find anything wrong with it. Heck, I told him that if he didn't buy the car, I would!

While we were down there though, I saw a black 2002 Intrepid R/T on the lot that I was interested in. It only had about 35,000 miles on it and was well equipped, whereas my base model 2000 was pushing 86,000 miles by then. I thought about upgrading, but we ended up running late buying the Regal that night, so we went back the next day to check out the Intrepid.

In the end, I passed on it and held on to my own. They offered to give me what I owed on my 2000, which at the time was about $4800, and they wanted $15,995 for the 2002. I wasn't that impressed with it once I drove it, and they couldn't give me a straight answer as to whether it had the 3/36 warranty on the powertrain or the 7/70. Chrysler offered both in 2002, depending on what time of the year the car was originally sold. They also said the previous owner was a mechanic who did all his own maintenance, but they couldn't produce any service records. And right around 30-40,000 miles is when a car can start needing stuff. New tires, transmission service, brake pads, etc. Plus, I liked the idea of knowing that in 14 months, my current car would be paid off.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,355
    " My dad and I go test-driving just for fun, not actually to buy cars"

Oh joy...we just love people who waste our time like you!
  • I am sorry that we waste your time, but sometimes after owning 2 SUV's, we need to drive a s2000 :P and how much time do we actually waste? And usually we try to give you a hint by saying "we really arent going to buy for another 8 months" we just get annoyed when you call back after we tell you that. Sorry, but an easy solution to not wasting your own time is not calling back unless they are planning on buying withing the next 2 months. ;)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,355
    Can I suggest another hobby? Golf?
    Or go-karts, maybe? That way you can get your fill of thrills and spills behind the wheel, without doing any real damage.

Besides, I'd imagine that no salesman in his right mind is going to let a father and his kid take an S2000 out by themselves, unsupervised! :surprise: