Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• I am trying the research the Lemon Laws in Illinois. I have the above noted vehicle and it has been in the shop 4 times for the headlights dimming so badly upon braking that they nearly brown out, as well as the headlights blinking from dim to bright while driving. I have almost 43,600 miles on the car. Does anyone know about these laws and if I have any sort of recourse with Hyundai? The last time the car was in for over a week and the entire wiring system was pulled out, tested and put back in the car and I was told that they "thought" this would resolve the issue but they have made a case file on it in case anyone else has similar issues. I filed a complaint with the BBB for the Lemon Law and I guess I will see where that gets me. Any comments or ideas?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I filed a complaint with the BBB for the Lemon Law

I'm not sure I see the connection between BBB and Lemon Laws. Can you elaborate?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,794
    I trust most people realize that the BBB is entirely supported by private industry, and also has no enforcement powers?

• Actually there is a whole section of the BBB devoted to Lemon Laws and those vehicles that are out of the Lemon Law status and into a "supposed" Warranty only status. I have all of the information here and I am filing a complaint with the BBB as well as with the State's Attorney in Illinois, as well as contacting Hyundai Corporate. I guess I just wanted to, at this point, let everyone know the BBB does settle disputes or at least arbitrates them on your behalf. On a non-related note, the BBB did just settle something else for me and I did get my money back. Otherwise I was wondering if anyone else had any headlight issues as I did not see any posts regarding such problems.
    Yes BBB can mediate but they cannot enforce. The idea is that the "good" people in the auto biz finance the BBB to clean up the "bad" ones. The BBB can be effective if the dealer in dispute is a member. But the BBB has no teeth per se. They offer good info, though.

• I see. I did not know that. And in this instance, Hyundai in Illinois is not a member of the BBB to comply. The website stated that they will forward the complaint to the Corporate Headquarters. To make matters somewhat worse the dealership I bought my Santa Fe from is no longer in business, so I have to take it to another dealership to have the work done. Thanks for the information.
  • I might be off base here, but it seems to me that it shouldn't matter if the selling dealership is out of business or not, or if Hyundai is a member of BBB in Illinois or not. The Lemon Laws that apply are different from state to state, but the responsible party in any event is the manufacturer/importer, I would think. The dealer is only an agent (weasel word to get out of responsibility), so your beef is really with Hyundai corporate. I think.
    Here you go---some info on Lemon Laws in Illinois. I just happened to stumble on this and thought I'd post it, since I sort of diverted you off course with BBB stuff.

Illinois Lemon Law Info

Visiting Host Here

• Well here we go again. Another dealership and still the same issue that they cannot replicate the issue. I believe that Hyundai Corporate has taken issue that the BBB complaint has been filed and now they are just trying to make me look stupid. I was told, and I ma not sure if this is true, so I will pose the question, does anyone know if the only way to fix the problem, under warranty is to take it to a Hyundai dealership? I mean they already have it a case open on it, and they act like I am making it up. I gave very specific instructions on what happens, when it happens and so on. I have even stated I would drive with the mechanic or whoever is test driving the car to show them the issue and they have declined. Any ideas?
  • grutzagrutza Posts: 52
    I go to an independent mechanic and he stated the left front CV boot was leaking grease. I scheduled an appointment for the following week.

Over the weekend I experienced what some others have, ESC light off, cruise won't work, brake lights won't function and can't shift gears without using the override button.

Both were replaced under warranty, the brake light issue they were familiar with and looked to see if my VIN was covered under recall or TSB. It wasn't but replaced the ECU, according to my paperwork, under warranty along with the CV boot.

On another note, they had a Equus in the showroom. Looks great.
  • Figured it out! Our Santa Fe finally did not start after we shut it off and figured out the fuel pump went out. Took it to Dealership where they replaced the pump. Here comes the shock.....it had been re-wired directly to the fuse box causing the pump to function all the time with the key on/engine off! Yes, you read right...it was "hot wired" by passing the original harness and relay switch.

We purchased it used in Las Vegas, NV.

Anyone have an idea why someone would do this? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    did they fix the sun visor under warranty? my friend's also fell down..

thanks
  • rwaltrwalt Posts: 1
    What is the other site that talks about this issue.I am having problems with my tires cupping and alignment issues.
  • auxfireauxfire Posts: 4
    If your tires are new, I would contact the tire maker, as they can replace your tires for free. I'm not sure an alignment will help unless you get new tires.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    '07 Santa Fe Ltd - saw the rubber split and drooping down on my rear wiper today, so read the manual for replacement size and Whoa ! - it says simnply to refer to Dealer for rear wiper replacement.

I went to the dealer and they wanted $40 (yes- $40) to replace it. i said I wasn't paying that much for it and went to Pep-Boys. Got a 13" blade for $6-99 and they replaced it for free.

However, be warned - the OEM blade arm assembly is a plastic arm, which would not come off, so the Tech. had to pull out the old rubber blade, take out the new one from it's metal arm and push the new one in to the existing prongs on the original blade arm.

Anyone else had the same problem or an easier experience for replacement?
  • srz948srz948 Posts: 63
    Are the cross bars on the Santa Fe roof rack easily removed? If so an explanation of how is greatly appreciated. I might be taking a long trip and I understand the cross bars could reduce mileage by 4%. Thank You.
  • ryanorryanor Posts: 11
    The site that mentions the cupping is hyundai-forums.com.
  • ryanorryanor Posts: 11
    A follow-up: I had an alignment done back in July; I'm still getting the excess tire/road noise, but hopefully the condition will not get any worse.

I happened to get down on my hands and knees to inspect the tires last weekend, and noticed the inner 1/5 or so was severely worn (the fronts worse than the backs). Some squeaking occurs when making tight turns, due to this wear I'm sure.

I now have 31,000 miles (on the original Bridgestone Duelers) on the car. Have been rotating tires every year, but now will every 6 months. I plan on getting new tires sometime next spring.

Hopefully better tires will end up with a quieter ride with even tread wear!

Ryan
  • Last week we were over 400 miles from home and 200 miles from the nearest Hyundai dealer, when both sets of keys got locked in our 2005 Santa Fe. Standing there in the rain, I called the Hyundai 800 number on the window. Within 45 minutes Hyundai had a wrecker there and the door opened for NO charge. Within a half hour Hyundai called me to be sure were OK. I could not have asked for better service.
  • I am thinking of getting a 2007 Santa Fe for my wife. What are some opinions on the reliability of the car? Are their any maintenance quarks or known problems I should look out for?
  • np01np01 Posts: 17
    Two things come to mind: some of the sunroofs leaked (not mine), so if you're looking at one that has a sunroof, run it through a car wash, or look for leakage. The passenger's air bag light has issues with lighter-weight passengers.
  • srmcsrmc Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2007 Santa Fe and it was okay for about 12,000 miles. Then it developed piston slap. The dealership and the Hyundai district representative will not fix the problem. The warranty is useless. At first, I could only hear it at start up on a cold day, now it is all the time. So, I would not ever buy another Hyundai product.
  • rob87rob87 Posts: 10
    Anyone notice a frequent popping/creaking sound from the center console? Especially evident when cornering. Mine is being caused by the "plastic wood" trim around the shifter. It's really annoying me. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet - I'm expecting the usual "it's normal" response.

08 Limited AWD. Touring pkg with RES.
  • I own a 2007 santa fe with 43000 care free miles,i recently experianced the passenger side sun visor fall into my wifes hands after she attempted to use the mirror,anyone have a similiar issue,is this common?
  • It's never happened to me with my 2007, but common enough that others have
    posted about the same problem.
  • espo35espo35 Posts: 144
    Are you able to duplicate the noise for the Hyundai Rep'?
  • srmcsrmc Posts: 6
    Yes, I can duplicate the noise for the Hyundai rep. He says it is piston slap and he will not fix it. So, I can get a lawyer, file a complaint with the BBB, or ...
    My dealer will not discuss it with me unless I appear at the dealership and he has no choice but to speak with me. He said the Hyundai rep told him to stay out of the situation.
    oh that sounds like the "good cop, bad cop" routine. The factory rep has no authority to tell a dealer to stay out of anything. The dealer should be your advocate of course---but his hands are tied somewhat since the dealer will NOT fix anything if the factory will not compensate him for the repair under warranty. If the rep denies the claim, then the dealer is left holding the bag. But there's nothing to say that the dealer cannot ask the rep to evaluate the car and make a decision in your favor. After all, it's work for the dealer's service department in lean times.

Piston slap may indeed be a characteristic of an engine (Subaru has a similar issue, due to very short piston skirt design and GM has had tons of complaints). But in that case of it being "normal" one would have to say that all engines of that type should do it---otherwise, it is "abnormal" to that particular engine.

Piston slap itself has often haunted engine designers. There is a huge debate still raging about whether it does, or does not, in fact, affect engine longevity.

From what I'm reading, automakers won't do anything about piston slap unless you seriously threaten them with action.

If this condition is intolerable to you, then perhaps Lemon Law procedures are your only course of action.

Visiting Host

• espo35espo35 Posts: 144
    Hyundai made the car, not the dealership, who is franchised to sell and repair the car. Lemon Law is the consumer vs. the manufacturer. That is why the dealer won't become involved.
    The condition wouldn't be called "normal", but "not abnormal". It does not affect performance.

Good luck.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    Yes - I have noticed it too, along with vibration noises from the upper panels by the door openers on the front driver and passenger doors. It's annoying. The reardoor panel has also started squeaking, but that's a known problem and there's a TSB posted for that, due to a poorly fitted bracket that holds the metal and plastic panels. However I don't trust the highly "trained" techs to do a good job anymore so i'll probably leave it alone.

I've also just received a recall notice for the brake switch replacement due to the safety problems it causes if it goes out. My original brake switch actually went out when I frst got the S.Fe back in '07, but I'll get it replaced again with the recall, just because.