Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• I bought an 07 Santa Fe about 6 months ago. We are having the same problem with the floor not receiving heat. I had the vehicle to the dealer today and they are telling me that there is a piece of duct work that is missing. They are ordering it, cost about $25. What did you discover was the problem with yours? Same missin duct work? thanks.
  • Yes, I have just started having headlight dimming issues while braking. Some flickering while not braking started last night. Also, some lights were flickering along the clock and radio mid-panel a few weeks ago. This is after I have replaced the altenator, the fuel gauge no longer worked ($500+ for a new one last month), the rear-view mirror broke off, visors fixed, paint coming off the roof, steering wheel column buttons not working, and many other problems. I would love to hear any information about working with the BBB, or other agencies. My car is no longer under warranty, so the repair costs are adding up fast.
  • this cars are truly expensive to repair. you need to look into an aftermarket warranty coverage for this truck, there are a lot of components on the awd version that only the dealer ship can service... (esc, awd tranfer case and coupler, abs ) in regards of your lights, you need to be sure you have the correct amps for your altenator. also may need to check your battery terminal for corrosion.
    the worst thing that could be is the body control module under your driver side dash. if the work was done tru a dealer, you need to have them troubleshoot their work. there are problems with the clock spring for the 07-09 santa fe , its probably the reason why those items do not work.
  • Thank you so much for your quick response. :) I will look into the amps. That could very well be it. I had to have a AAA repair shop replace the alternator in my vehicle in a small town while vacationing.
  • I have a 2002 Sante Fe and the exterior paint started peeling off of the hood and has rapidly advanced to both fenders as well as the top of the vehicle. Does anyone know of any recalls for the paint. Thanks.
  • vjrao1vjrao1 Posts: 1
    My 2009 santa fe used to give 340 miles per full tank. now it's at 250 miles. Basically makes the vehicle unusable for my purpose. The vehicle is covered under warranty but Hyundai claims the vehicle is performing 'as expected'. Last time I am buying a Hyundai
  • kdconodkdconod Posts: 46
    Have you measured the range - or is that what the gauge says? I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is.
  • geobcongeobcon Posts: 11
    I'm using the actual odometer reading to calculate the miles driven until fill up. I.e. diference between readings at last fill-up and the present fill-up then dividing it by the gallons to fill-up.
  • I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, V6, 2.7L. Bought it used a year ago. All was OK until I started using the A/C a few months later--noticed very small, metallic(?) flecks in red/green/silver, only visible in sunlight. They were all over the dash panel--actually, I noticed it stuck to all the plastic inserts in the dash and armrests. Service said the plastic was a hard rubber w/ a spray-over to look like plastic, and that possibly when worn down the metallic flecks in the spray-over would show? When I wore body lotion these flecks stuck to my forearms, legs, clothes, etc. It was everywhere! I had a body shop remove all of the plastic inserts, remove the spray-over and repaint them--then detail the inside of car throroughly. Cost me a bundle--all was OK until I turned on the A/C and front windshield defroster, and the specks were all over the dash again. Is this a byproduct of the AC coolant? Is is something in the compressor or in the air ducts, a sealant the factory puts on that breaks down with time?? I have new cabin filters installed, my car did not have them when purchased (2003 and 2004 models don't come with them factory installed I've since learned--from this site!!). I don't think that the over-spray paint in the passenger compartment was ever a problem---I used Armorall all over the interior surfaces when I bought the car, and I think the metallic flecks imbedded themselves into the plastic surfaces. I AM GOING TO SELL THIS CAR...but I don't know what to buy. I'm worried this will happen with other cars, too, and this is my only complaint with my Santa Fe (I love it otherwise). I went to a Hyundai lot and looked at a a 2011 and 2012 Santa Fe---GUESS SWHAT?? Speckles on their dashboards! I noticed the metallic(?) speckles in a 2006 Tuscon, a 2005 Santa Fe, even in a 2006 Honda CRV. Is this a problem with all Japanese cars....I'm going to look at some American-made models (Ha!) and see if this problems affects these, too. If you have any suggestions or know what these speckles are, please let me know. They glint in the sunlight----if you dryclean your clothes, they come off. If you have any body lotion on, they adhere to your clothes and DO NOT COME OFF IN THE WASHING MACHINE, AS THEY'RE IMBEDDED INTO THE FABRIC. Weird!!! PLEASE ADVISE!!!
  • jodes97jodes97 Posts: 1
    Don't know if you guys can help me out, but I have a 2003 Sante Fe with the 2.7L V6 engine. Within a year of getting new spark plugs and wires, I had another major issue with this vehicle.

After 221 thousand km's and change, I have no power, and it is burning a lot of oil and the exhaust is almost white in color. The engine itself runs quiet. There is no oil in the coolant either.

The nearest Hyundai dealership is over two hours away, so I had no choice but to take it to a local mechanic who said he needed to do a compression test, but wasn't sure if that would be the issue, that itself would be $300 on top of the 200 I paid just for him to look at it. I thanked him for his time and took the vehicle home, since it was sounding like it was going to be in the 1000's of dollars to repair.

Fast forward a few months later I took it to our local high school where they checked the timing chain (had been done about 80,000 km before) and that was fine, they also did the compression test, and he said that was in normal parameters as well. Since they didn't work on a lot of imports, there was nothing else they could find.

My other mechanic friend says that it could be the head gasket.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • oceang2oceang2 Posts: 35
    I've got a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I began hearing a grinding noise which sounded like it was coming from the transmission. Did not want this kind of expense but I've got 156,000 miles on the car. The grinding was intermittent when I put the car into park or neutral. Everything was fine when I put the car into drive or reverse and when I drove the car. Smooth shifting during acceleration and it ran fine in the city and on the highway.

I looked on the internet for info and took the car to a couple mechanics but the trans mechs. said it was very strange that the car didn't make the noise when in gear.

Info from the internet pointed towards the starter and flywheel. When all said and done, it was the ignition switch that needed to be replaced. Had I not done a little research, I may have been taken for a whole transmission from someone. Thanks and Kudos to Edmunds.
    I hope this helps someone else if they have the same symptoms.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    Great story, thanks for posting.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• LS37LS37 Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe, Limited, purchased new in 2008. Just had the car to the dealer to have the Air Bag recall issue resolved. Got an estimate of over $500.00 to have both of the fuel sending units replaced. I am told this is a VERY common known problem but Hyundai is not covering the repair under warranty. Just curious as to how many other people have run into this issue. The fuel gauge had started acting up so I suspected the sender units were to blame. The repair is not difficult since there are two access doors under the second seat.
  • My wifes Santa Fe has two "reflectors" in the rear of the vehicle, while changing one of her burned out brake light bulbs, I noticed that they don't light up (the reflectors). The screws on them are completely rusted and stripped. My question is, is there a bulb in those reflectors or just reflective material. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,272
    Recalls are only safety or emissions related and your car is way out of warranty, so I don't think there will be any factory relief for you. Probably your clear coat is deteriorating, and this is usually environmental in nature.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• omar6575omar6575 Posts: 24
    what happens to the fuel gauge, what problem occur. i have a 2008 santa fe. :surprise:
    well , as i expected, the check engine light did came on, gave me the P0464 trouble code. It was the fuel sending unit was not working properly, my fuel gauge kept going up and down for not apparent reason,
    took it to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty the same day. :)
  • chucko6chucko6 Posts: 81
    Has anyone found a Good Discount source for Hyundai OEM parts and accessories ???
    Stuff like Air Filters, Mud Guards, Door Mirrors ??

Used to have a Dealer that specialized in Offers and contributed to issues when I used to frequent the Acura Forums.
  • supawingsupawing Posts: 7
    www.shophyundaiparts.com

I needed to buy a replacement sun visor, reasonable price, came when expected, no problems installing.
    So far, so good
    Had the Sante Fe in last week for an oil change. My Service Advisor came to me with Clipboard in hand with some recommended service in addition to the oil change.
    These were a Coolant Change along with Induction Service each @ around $120. Remember, my vehicle has only 25K. I passed on both and couldn't wait to get home to check my owners docs.
    Couldn't find anything about Induction Service and the first Coolant change should be @ 60K
    Has anyone else run into this and/or know what Induction Service is all about ?
    Oh that sounds like fuel injector cleaner---waste of money.

A coolant change is both age and miles related so after a couple of years it's not really a bad idea.

well, remember this guys are there to run a business, if they can get you to do anything on top of any warranty claims its surely money in their pocket,.

at 25k miles the coolant change might be a bit early. However the induction service might be relevant. I have a 2008 santa fe ltd with the 3.3L engine.
    Around 32k during cold stars the truck would stumble for a few seconds after starting, and no check engine light. i did some checking on my own and found it. the problem was an unusual amount of carbon and soot in the throttle body plate. it turns out this modern cars have an exhaust re circulating system that re routes exhaust gas back into the intake manifold and that's how the soot and build up gets there. The solution was simple, went to autozone and purchase a throttle body cleaner (4.99+tax) also went to hyundai to purchase a throttle body gasket ($3.00 + tax) then remove intake plastic tubes then 3 10mm bolts for the throttle body, you don't need to remove the harness its long enough for you to spray and clean all the build up on the plate. i currently have about 41k and issues with the engine so far... if your not mechanically incline i suggest you invest on the induction cleaning service.around 35K just to prevent any issues. hope this helps...
    Thanks for the info--- I did ask if Induction Service meant cleaning the Injectors. Was told that was part of the procedure but also
    included other steps ??
    What bothered me was that I could not find the word " Induction" on the Maintainence checklist.
    edited April 2012
    If your car is running nicely, you don't need injector service, is my opinion. Unlike say the oil filter or the radiator, the injectors usually never need service on a modern car.

Besides, all quality gasolines have additives for this sort of thing.

• mons00nmons00n Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem.
    I have a 2007 santa fe and had it replaced under warranty
    the day we got it back it started doing the same thing as before (with the fuel guage) we didnt have time to return it that day and the next time we were abe to return the car for it to be replaced they said it wasnt under warranty anymore so I had a fit right on the showroom floor and guess what... I got it repaired for free :-) with a phone call later saying how sorry they were lol
  • Hi there..I read your post re: issue with Santa Fe surging when in idling. I own a 2004 Santa Fe and am having similar issues.. When stoped at intersection on idle it lurches forward and I put in neutral. when backing up it stalls. My dealer in Scottsdale kept the car for 6 days and charged me $800 for repairs, but since their are no indicator lights and the computer isn't showing anything..they don't know what to do..I'm at a complete loss..

What was the outcome of your problems?
    Thanks,
    Betsy
  • sea2seasea2sea Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. The first time I lost power -- going from 50 to 20 in a matter of seconds, and the engine light went on, I read the manual which said the gas cap was loose. No mention of bringing it to the dealer. So, I tightened the cap and the car started and drove for almost a month just like before. Two days ago I was driving 70 on a dual lane and the same thing -- 70 to 30 in a matter of seconds. Push on accelerator and couldn't go above 30. Got to side of road and checked gas cap. Sat a few minutes rereading the manual. The car started just fine and I drove on to town. The next day I was driving up a hill and went over a traffic bump and it did it again. I kept going this time and could drive no faster than 25 through the city to the dealership and up hills I was going about 10mph.

At the dealership they could not look at it right away and when I went back out to check it was fine. Has anyone had this problem of losing power on the 2011 or new Santa Fe's? I read several postings of the previous model but only one -- a 2008 -- of the current model.
  • Same thing yesterday with my 2008 V6
    Quote from Repair slip
    "Verify Concern, GDS Test Code P2106, P1295, P2135.
    Perform Bulletin 10.FL.010, Replace TPS Sensor and
    UPDATED ECM

1 35107-3C100-NFFF TH'SENSOR ASSY (TPS)

I guess time will tell if it was fixed

Hope this helps you
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    For you owners of the 2nd gen SF, I have an 08 SF Limited AWD and was wondering what type of mileage you are seeing from your front and rear struts/shocks before replacing them. I am at just a little under 40k miles and the ride, while OK, is getting a little "sloppy" and was thinking about changing them out (or I may just wait a little while and drop some coin on the new 13 SF Sport AWD!). If you have changed yours, at what mileage did you do it, what brand did you use, and did you see any change in ride/handling? TIA. :)
  • Hi,

I have the almost same problem. I have 2011 Santa Fe AWD V6. The first time it lost power on late of the June while I drove it downhill. I took it to dealership and they couldn't find any problem, no code nothing. The second time happened on Sep. 17th. Same thing happened and no code. They replaced a sensor and told me this sensor could be the problem. Now I am afraid to drive this car. I just called a lawyer to see if they can sue Hyundai or not. What did you do about your car?