Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    was the tune up done already (spark plugs)? and a fuel system cleaning (not just pouring in something in the gas tank) do those b4 thinking about changing the injector. i suppose you do your own maintenance? If not - just ask the mechanic for the info next time you're in for service about which cylinder is which...
  • shmshenshmshen Posts: 20
    Last Saturday, I drove the 08 Santa Fe for around a hour and stop at a gas station, turned off the engine and filled the gas. Then I tried to start it again. With the key on, I can not start it. The Check Engine/Low Oil Pressure/Check Battery light is on. (I think it is normal since the engine can not be started). Everything else seem normal, the coolant temperature gauge is normal as well.

Then I wait for about 20 mins and tried again, it got started without problem this time. All lights (The Check Engine/Low Oil Pressure/Check Battery light) were off when the engine got started. I drove for another 1 hour and the same thing happened again.

Does anybody have similar problem? Thanks.
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    my 1st guess would be fuel pump problem or neutral safety switch problem because there is no svc eng light present. both those things could shut you own - but then - so could so many others. those 2 things though - don't present a svc engine light... get to the dealer quick b4 you can't start at all... could also be a relay going bad or malfunctioning security system - get checked b4 you get stranded...
  • Sounds like a classic case of vapor lock, although cars these days are supposed to be immune. How hot was it that day? Cold gasoline into a hot car could do that. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock
  • shmshenshmshen Posts: 20
    I went to the dealer yesterday and they checked but could not find any error code. Then they drove it for 40 miles and tried to reproduce the problem, but they can not reproduce it and asked to take it back when it happens more often in the future. So there is no answer now.
  • dz302dz302 Posts: 26
    Funny. We have an '07 SF and had that same problem last summer. Maybe did it a handfull of times, so when I brought it to the dealer for service, they checked it out and found nothing either.
    The only thing the dealer thought, was that the signal from the key to the ECM may have been faulty, so he checked that out and all seemed well. We started using the spare key and haven't had any trouble since. Get the dealer to check your keys. They have a little chip in them that the ECM has to read. Gotta love computers! Good luck! Hope this helps.....
  • chasoychasoy Posts: 1
    hello... newbie here, i have a 2009 hyundai sante fe 2.2 crdi. can you help me out? i am trying yo locate the intake air temperature sensor on my engine... can you send me pictures of the location if you have any..TIA
  • eyoeyo Posts: 24
    edited August 2011
    I’m just reporting to you all guys, that I had two costly problems in a month with a 2007 2.7 Santa Fe. First the AC compressor died replaced for $1400 and then the throttle electronics (I don’t know what they call it exactly) along with some central lock actuators. That together was $500. So, within a month I spent almost $2000 and I was thinking of buying a Veracruz… Well no thanks enough of the Hyundai. Oh, and the sun visors fell off again after both has been replaced a while ago. I didn’t bother replacing them because I know it will fall off again as Hyundai doesn’t give a **** about modifying it.
    For a while I was really thinking that Hyundai has got things together, but unfortunately I was wrong. I’ve got to go back to Japanese cars! No I have a Korean and an American and I’m busy fighting with dealers about the problems there cars causing. But it’s entirely my mistake.
  • dz302dz302 Posts: 26
    We have an '07 SF that we bought in Aug. '06. It's almost 3 years old, and we have not had a bit of trouble with it. Sunvisors falling off? Never heard that one before. Are you playing Tarzan on them?
    Because you said you had to spend 2 grand on repairs, I'm assuming your vehicle is out of warranty? Warranty covers the parts you mentioned less the freon. Hmm, must have been built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon. Sorry to hear of your troubles...We had a '98 Grand Caravan Sport before our SF, and never had any trouble with it either. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.
    How's your tires? Mine have 50K kms, and they're just about toast....
    I guess those Bridgestone Duellers really are crap.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    Until this past tuesday, I hadn't had any problems with my 07 SF SE AWD (32k miles) Then the alternator failed. Service manager said that is a first for him. I am in a loaner now waiting for the part to be delivered. Hopefully, this is the last problem I have.
  • I am trying the research the Lemon Laws in Illinois. I have the above noted vehicle and it has been in the shop 4 times for the headlights dimming so badly upon braking that they nearly brown out, as well as the headlights blinking from dim to bright while driving. I have almost 43,600 miles on the car. Does anyone know about these laws and if I have any sort of recourse with Hyundai? The last time the car was in for over a week and the entire wiring system was pulled out, tested and put back in the car and I was told that they "thought" this would resolve the issue but they have made a case file on it in case anyone else has similar issues. I filed a complaint with the BBB for the Lemon Law and I guess I will see where that gets me. Any comments or ideas?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I filed a complaint with the BBB for the Lemon Law

I'm not sure I see the connection between BBB and Lemon Laws. Can you elaborate?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    I trust most people realize that the BBB is entirely supported by private industry, and also has no enforcement powers?

• Actually there is a whole section of the BBB devoted to Lemon Laws and those vehicles that are out of the Lemon Law status and into a "supposed" Warranty only status. I have all of the information here and I am filing a complaint with the BBB as well as with the State's Attorney in Illinois, as well as contacting Hyundai Corporate. I guess I just wanted to, at this point, let everyone know the BBB does settle disputes or at least arbitrates them on your behalf. On a non-related note, the BBB did just settle something else for me and I did get my money back. Otherwise I was wondering if anyone else had any headlight issues as I did not see any posts regarding such problems.
    Yes BBB can mediate but they cannot enforce. The idea is that the "good" people in the auto biz finance the BBB to clean up the "bad" ones. The BBB can be effective if the dealer in dispute is a member. But the BBB has no teeth per se. They offer good info, though.

• I see. I did not know that. And in this instance, Hyundai in Illinois is not a member of the BBB to comply. The website stated that they will forward the complaint to the Corporate Headquarters. To make matters somewhat worse the dealership I bought my Santa Fe from is no longer in business, so I have to take it to another dealership to have the work done. Thanks for the information.
  • I might be off base here, but it seems to me that it shouldn't matter if the selling dealership is out of business or not, or if Hyundai is a member of BBB in Illinois or not. The Lemon Laws that apply are different from state to state, but the responsible party in any event is the manufacturer/importer, I would think. The dealer is only an agent (weasel word to get out of responsibility), so your beef is really with Hyundai corporate. I think.
    Here you go---some info on Lemon Laws in Illinois. I just happened to stumble on this and thought I'd post it, since I sort of diverted you off course with BBB stuff.

Illinois Lemon Law Info

Visiting Host Here

• Well here we go again. Another dealership and still the same issue that they cannot replicate the issue. I believe that Hyundai Corporate has taken issue that the BBB complaint has been filed and now they are just trying to make me look stupid. I was told, and I ma not sure if this is true, so I will pose the question, does anyone know if the only way to fix the problem, under warranty is to take it to a Hyundai dealership? I mean they already have it a case open on it, and they act like I am making it up. I gave very specific instructions on what happens, when it happens and so on. I have even stated I would drive with the mechanic or whoever is test driving the car to show them the issue and they have declined. Any ideas?
  • grutzagrutza Posts: 52
    I go to an independent mechanic and he stated the left front CV boot was leaking grease. I scheduled an appointment for the following week.

Over the weekend I experienced what some others have, ESC light off, cruise won't work, brake lights won't function and can't shift gears without using the override button.

Both were replaced under warranty, the brake light issue they were familiar with and looked to see if my VIN was covered under recall or TSB. It wasn't but replaced the ECU, according to my paperwork, under warranty along with the CV boot.

On another note, they had a Equus in the showroom. Looks great.