Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    edited March 2013
    It's hard to argue that new cars are a better buy, just based on economics. But, it also depends on the car. Some New Cars Now Cheaper Than Used Cars.

Posts in the Buying New vs. Used Vehicles discussion may help.
  • we did a joint app for leasing a Nissan and were turned down.

and now we're looking at Ford. Is Ford more lenient? or would we just be wasting our time?
    edited March 2013
  • synovial1synovial1 Posts: 2
    I negotiated a lease for my fiancée on a new chevy traverse however, when she went in to do the paperwork they totally changed the deal from 544 a month including tax to 679 by telling her that the deal inalready made disnt include tax etc.. but it did, they where just being dishonest! Also, they sold her unnecessary tire ins and appetance package etc... That she felt she was forced into. I was originally going to use my 1k off lease incentive because I lease a BMW but, she decided to use usaa pricing instead and the deal has been done for over a week and the dealer called and said he wants to bring him a check for 1k or, a copy of one of my lease statements. I am not giving those crooks anything after they where so dishonest not to mention I am not on the deal at all! Now we are getting calls from gmac about her previous car asking why it's not paid off yet? This can't be legal or ethical and, I am so upset that all this is happening. I don't want to give them anything after they treated her this way. What should I do?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Try posting this in our Got a quick question for a car dealer? discussion.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• inakarmacomainakarmacoma Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    I'm a little lost. Apologies. You all sound fantastic. I could really use your advice.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car, knows the features she wants, but is unfamiliar w/ most models. Any awesome suggestions from these criteria?

4-wheel drive -- candle handle snow country, backpacking trips, hiking, camping, etc.

Relatively High MPG within it's class (not a gas guzzler).

Common features: Air conditioning, Power lock

Price range as <$50,000 (NEW)

- Prefers non-luxury brand (or more specifically, not the kind of brand that has high maintenance costs; she's heard horror stories from some audi/lexus/bmw?)

- Not picky about body model, per-say, but does not want a minivan, nor a 2-door coupe. Most other options a-OK.

Would like a brand known for longevity -- wants to buy new, be able to rely on for many years.

Engine preference: V6!

Gas or hybrid OK as long as it meets the other specs. Not diesel.

Size: Prefer if it can fit 5 people.

Drive: Automatic

Interior: Non-leather

Gas tank size no less than 12gl

Roof rack integrated preferred

Would like some good cargo capacity (it'd be a plus)

Brand: She has received some good feedback/suggestions on Subaru -- but is not explicitly attached. She's actually interested to see if you guys also agree this is a good option?
    edited July 2013
    This discussion lives in Sedans but you'll get plenty of suggestions in there:

Help Me Choose!

The Car Finder tool can help narrow your choices.

Here's another fun tool:

My Car Match

Subaru is a bit of a niche car company still, but sales are going through the roof. (csmonitor.com). My sister likes her '05 Forester. I haven't checked out the newer ones, but I like her Forester body style better than my old '97 Outback. Check out the Subaru Crew here too.
    Also give these discussions a try if she's looking for a crossover/SUV:

What is the Best SUV For me?
    Crossover SUV Comparison

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Tell her to check out a Toyota 4Runner.
  • erclarkerclark Posts: 1
    My questions really belong here on the Smart Shopper board, but I can't find an "Add a Discussion" link in order to start my post. Each of the other boards I enter, here on the Edmond's forum, give me an "Add a Discussion" link right at the top of the list of posts. However, there is no such link for me here on the Smart Shopper board. Instead, I just see a "Watch this Forum" link. What am I missing? How can I start a new discussion? Thanks in advance for any help!
    edited July 2013
    It's an organizational thing. Per the Help link, "Please note that there are some Forums where members may not create new discussions, including Smart Shopper, Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences and Maintenance & Repair. If you cannot find an appropriate discussion for your questions or comments in these Forums, contact the Host for assistance."

Members here tend to subscribe to existing discussions and miss new ones, so if you can search and find one that fits, that's probably your best bet.
  • drt222drt222 Posts: 9
    Hi Steve,

Hi CarMan,

I'm leasing my first ever car and I'm looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4*4 basic and I got a few offers and that's the best one:

$34.9k MSRP, $429/mo lease payment for 39 mos with $900 first month payment. 36k miles bumper to bumper for 36 mos

I'm also looking at VW 2013 CC and the best price I got was $29,700 with 419.16/mo for 39 months 12k miles/yr.

I live in dayton OH 45402

Your feedback is highly appreciated, thank you
    edited July 2013
    You've already found your way to the lease questions discussions, so please continue in those threads. Thanks!
    Ok I will but I didn't receive any replies there and i thought the lost section would be more suitable since I'm really lost!
    Summer weekends get slow. And I know squat about leasing and would get you more lost. :shades:
    OK thanks for sharing the info. I would post more in the Jeep section and hopefully I get a response soon.
  • Hi Folks,
    I'm a newby here and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on negotiating this deal. Looking at a new E350 Coupe, MSRP: 63,815.00 Here are the details:

Price: 59070.96
    36 mo / lease
    Mo. Factor: .00205
    Miles / Yr: 10K
    Residual: .60
    2k down
    Res Add: 769
    Acq Fee: 1095
    Taxes: 2137.52
    Doc fee: 799
    Maint: 769
    Adj Residual: 38750.4
    Adj Cap: 60964.96
    Mo Pmt: 878.99

Where should I counter from here?

Best // CJD
    Give this discussion a try:
    Mercedes-Benz E-Class Lease Questions

• My 1.6L backfired big time when it was started, then ran on 3 cyl until I could get it home. It was there that I discovered that the explosion blew up my plug and the wire leading from the coil pack, they were sitting on top of the engine. I replaced both and it's still running like crap.

Is the engine toast? 140,000 miles is not a lot for these cars.