Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    edited December 2011
    Pep Boys offers vehicle inspections but you'd have to get the seller to get it to their shop (or some other garage that offers a similar service, and most any mechanic should). Some sellers probably don't want the hassle but it doesn't cost anything to ask.

Finding someone to handle the transaction if you decide to buy the car is harder.

Try asking in the Purchasing Used Vehicles discussion or the Buying used cars from out of state one.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Signed a Purchase Order for Motor Vehicle for a lease of a car and was wondering what my obligation here is. It basically is a paper that just has the car information and what we agreed to as a monthly payment, mileage, term, and due at signing. The rest of the document was not filled out. I have not filled out any actual lease paperwork yet or any further documentation as the dealer is waiting to hear back from me about if I will take the offer for my trade in. I'm wondering if in the meantime some of the other dealers I spoke to got back to me with a better price am I obligated at all to complete the entire purchase now? I'm assuming I would probably lose my $500 deposit, but I want to make sure that would be the worst case if something came up and I did this. Any thoughts?

1 loophole I seem to have legally is that it says on the bottom This Order Is Not Binding Until Signed And Accepted By The Retailer, but he never countersigned before he gave me the receipt. Anyway just trying to figure out how much this sheet matter when none of the financing/leasing/insurance paperwork has been filled out yet . Thanks in advance for any answers.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    You should start by posting your question here:
    Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

We've got some experienced members who will see your question there and likely offer advice.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The other morning on a very cold day up here in Ontario, Canada I went to start my car and after it turned over smoke poured in through the front vents along with what smelled like burning rubber or plastic. Immediately turned the car off, and noticed smoke coming out from the front of the hood, so opened it up and noticed that there was smoke coming from the blower area by the windshield on the passenger side.

The previous couple of days had been very wet, then followed by very cold freezing temperatures, just wondering if this could have caused the blower to be unable to operate function correctly and cause the smoke?

Any help would be great.
    Try the Pontiac Grand Am Heating/Cooling discussion. Someone in post 25 had a similar issue, although I don't see a solution posted.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    I'm about to sell my 2006 Acura. I should get about 14K for it. I had originally planned to use that money for a down payment on another car which I'd probably keep another five years. (My logic is that I'd always have a down payment in the value of my old car.) But now I'm wondering whether I'd be better off putting that $14K in the bank/cd/?? and lease a car for three years. I've owned many cars, so the buying process is not new to me. But I have no clue about leasing.

I drive about 15K miles a year. Have two dogs (planning on wagon/suv with them NOT on the seats) that would go in it very occasionally and two grandkids that I tote around once in a while.

One more thing, I would not want a base model of any car I chose. I'd be looking to lease or buy close to the top of the line. Don't know whether this fact makes any difference in the equation.

Thanks.
    Your question is a great fit for our Leasing vs Purchasing discussion, so you might just click on my link and re-post there.

Don't be put off by the fact that the last post there is from a year ago - members who have experience with both transactions tend to keep those discussions on a "watch" list, and will jump in when they see a new post. Our members like nothing better than to help spend other people's money. :)

I think you'll get a variety of feedback there!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Your question is a great fit for our Leasing vs Purchasing discussion, so you might just click on my link and re-post there.

Don't be put off by the fact that the last post there is from a year ago - members who have experience with both transactions tend to keep those discussions on a "watch" list, and will jump in when they see a new post. Our members like nothing better than to help spend other people's money. :)

I think you'll get a variety of feedback there!

It sounds like you're looking at sedans. If that's the case, our members in our Midsize Sedans discussion will be happy to share their experiences. That discussion covers all of the non-luxury midsize sedans, like the Camry, Accord, and Sonata.

• For some reason the web site is not intuitive to me, and I can't quite see how to start a new thread in any particular discussion group... Could you switch my question there?
    Sure - it's right here now:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12d514/16732#MSG16732

For future reference, if you are in a discussion, you need to go to the LAST page of messages in that discussion (there's a "last" link above the first message, and also below the last message on any given page). When you are on the LAST page of messages, you will see a "post a message" box. You can also post in a discussion by hitting "reply" on any existing message.

I know we're different around here, but starting new threads for each individual question actually often results in your question being overlooked. If you ever need help finding a good place to post your question, just ask here, or email any host, and we'll be happy to help you.

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I've gone through the entire set of threads here in the News & Views, and also the archives (which there are not many) looking for an older thread. Does anyone remember the "Where in the World are you?" thread. I need to find out from whoever posted the map where they got the program to be able to place where everyone is. :confuse:

Thanks.

Odie
    I think Sneakers did it manually.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Yea, that was something I did as people "signed in" by revealing their locations. I had almost forgotten about that. Not sure what happened to the dicussion though.

Maybe we need to do an updated version of it. Maybe with a Facebook page or something :P

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I found a good "Free" online program for doing in by using BatchGeo. Granted it used a live updating Google map and you can't change the icons to cars or anything, but it works for what I need.

Odie
  • koolerkooler Posts: 22
    edited February 2012
    I was wondering if Edmunds.com has a place where I can post my car (description, pictures, etc.) that I want to sell? I thought I heard they do, but I have not found any Forum that is for selling used cars.
    If I just missed it and you do with the option to pay for a Carfax, post pictures of the car, maybe put it in a forum for VW Diesel Jetta Sportwagons. Or the area of the States the car is located?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,671
    At this time, Edmunds has no classified or "for sale" forums... Sorry!

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• not sure if this will help,and going to make a long story short. we purchased a car on the 4th of feb. and well lets just say it broke down, we took it back to the dealer and they said they would make it right and fix it for us, we took it to our mech. before we took it to them and it gave us the code p0505. well after getting the car back a few days later it wasent fixed, the owner of the lot himself came out and picked up the car and said he would make it right and for us not to worry, and well one thing after another of them telling us what was wrong and them fixing things we had asked if they would get us out of the car, only because they stated if they couldnt fix it they would do that, on several occasions they stated this, we picked up the car yesturday and got 2 blocks from the lot and guess what the engine light came on we turned around and went back, he wanted us to take it to our mech, we ended up taking it to the manufactures lot and had their service guys look at the car and low and behold it came back with the same code p0505 we took it back to the dealer where we bought the car told them what the mech said and showed him the paper work, we spoke to the mech. who worked on the car and he told us he knew that was the problem but they didnt want to fix that, even the owner stated he fixed 3 of the 4 issues hoping that would solve the problem, I would like someone elses insite on what they think we should do.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    A couple of places you can discuss your issues:

Check Engine light

Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories

My Salesperson Misled Me

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • i want to buy a pre-owned mbz s550. the car that i want is for sale at a dealership with a not so good reputation. i want to know if i should go to another mnz dealer that i prefer and who has a much better reputation and get the car transferred or stay with the bad dealership and take my chances ? thank you.
  • Prior to making this post I searched with the following terms: automotive lease leasing negotiator negotiation

The search results bring up links with very good summaries on what information should be prepared prior to (Example: reviewed information at edmunds). However, I still want to pay a negotiator to represent me in getting favorable terms in the new car lease.

I looked at several negotiation companies online, but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find reviews that might make it easier to pick one that is trustworthy.

May I request suggestions on how to evaluate negotiation companies (beyond a simple BBB check), and perhaps, may I also ask that if anyone reading this has successfully hired their own negotiator for this purpose, then who did you use?

Thank you.
    edited February 2012
    I doubt that a dealer would be too interested in doing a "swap" for a used car. But you could tell the lousy dealer that you want your mechanic to check it out and take it to the good dealer's shop for the once over. If it's still under warranty, then you can take it to any dealer for service.

Try asking in the Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? discussion.

edited February 2012
    I don't recall many posts or discussions about auto brokers, much less any about a lease broker. You could try asking in the How to Negotiate a Good Deal on a Car Lease discussion. Oh, here's a thread:

thelastbill, "Stories from the Sales Frontlines" #65299, 21 Feb 2011 3:45 pm

These articles may help:

Using a Car Broker to Buy Your Next Vehicle

Should You Use a Car-Buying Concierge?

• joserajosera Posts: 12
    I found an dealer (it's really just 2 guys who run a used car business) that wanted to buy my 2008 IS 350. The offer was to pay out my lease (so they would have the title to sell my vehicle) and pay me the difference from our agreed upon amount. They picked up the car from me on February 1st. We signed all the Lexus paperwork together and they gave me a check for the payoff amount and I FedExed it to Lexus. Lexus received it and told me it was not a valid form of payment. It was not a certified check.

I let the dealer know and they said they would re-send payment. It's been over 6 weeks now and I have called and emailed the dealer relentlessly and there is always an excuse or they say the check is in the mail.

They may be waiting until they sell my car so they actually have the money to make the payoff but what if they don't sell it for awhile?

They stopped replying to my emails right after they picked up the car. I guess they don't want anything in writing. I do have all the previous emails where they offer to buy the vehicle and explain how it works. I have attachments of their dealer license and they paperwork where Lexus authorizes them to make the payoff.

When I get them on the phone it's always "let me check on it and call you back." I never get a call back and now they are ignoring my calls altogether.

I've had Lexus call them directly, they told them the same story "check is in the mail."

I've contacted the BBB, the police (in case this is a scam) and my lawyer. Does any one here have any advice?
    Was in a very similar situation 15 years ago, and it did not end well for me. I ended up on the hook for the full payoff to the lessor.

Drive by the dealership... if you don't see your car, report it stolen immediately and tell the police everything you've described here. Since Lexus Financial still has the title (and won't release it until they're paid), they still consider you responsible for the vehicle. Hopefully you didn't cancel the insurance on the Lexus yet; if you did, that will make financial settlements a little more difficult (but not impossible).

You may also want to ask some of the dealership folks who frequent the forums at this discussion: Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

edited March 2012
    Unfortunately, I can not drive by the dealership. I am in NY and they are in TX. They picked the car up at my home and said they shipped it to TX.

When I google my VIN I do see it up for sale on various sites. I see it has 2000+ miles since I last saw it so I believe they drove, not shipped it to TX.

I did cancel the insurance to transfer my plates and insure my new vehicle.

I have been in touch with the police. They are torn as to whether it is a civil matter or just bad business since the dealer was answering all my calls for many weeks. But at this point, I am ready to file a criminal complaint for grand larceny by fraud.

I'll ask on the dealership forum, thank you.
    edited March 2012
    They can't sell it without the title (nor could they legally drive it to Texas without a registration), so they either did get it from Lexus or they faked one. Check with Lexus if they've been paid and whether they've released the title. If not, your criminal complaint is much stronger.

Good luck with this...

I've been in touch with Lexus daily, they have not been paid yet. They have not released the title. If they they were paid, I have no complaint. I just need Lexus to tell me it's paid in full and I am no longer responsible for the vehicle.
  • sarmssarms Posts: 8
    Hello, I was planning on using a co-signer that lives out of state...is this allowed by the dealer & what is the process? Would they mail the paperwork to them & the co-signer would sign & return it?
    This is a good question for our Quick Question for a Car Dealer discussion. Just click on my link and post over there, and we'll see if someone can give you a solid answer.