Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are automobiles a major cause of global warming?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Beethoven did not scam the tax payers out of $billions of wasted dollars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413
    what scam is that exactly?

I think the moon landing was wasted taxpayer dollars for instance. Does that make it a scam, or just spending in areas that some deem unnecessary?

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004
    So, you want us to sit back and do nothing? (dailytech.com)

That doesn't seem to be in the national interest either.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

There's an elephant in global warming's living room that few in the mainstream media want to talk about: the creators of the carbon credit scheme are the ones cashing in on it.

The two cherub like choirboys singing loudest in the Holier Than Thou Global Warming Cathedral are Maurice Strong and Al Gore.

This duo has done more than anyone else to advance the alarmism of man-made global warming.

With little media monitoring, both Strong and Gore are cashing in on the lucrative cottage industry known as man-made global warming.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover031307.htm
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413
    edited July 2013
    One flaw in that argument, aside from it being an incomprehensible screed of innuendo. Or, as one person described the author " an emotionally incontinent ninth grader".

But nonetheless, back to the point.

Al Gore was, in fact, right about GW.

and by the way, Al and Obama can't "spend" any money. The people you elected spent the money, that being Congress. They sign the checkbook.

You are forgetting your higher utility bills as a result of the GW mandates in CA. You may not mind paying for NOTHING. I do. As far as the article's writer, it is unlikely you and I would agree on any writer. As All show bias one direction or the other. That is why this country is split down the middle. And becoming more and more divided by the day. I feel the eco nuts have destroyed the economy in CA and you are OK with that. If you are independently wealthy, that would explain it. Those that have it made don't mind screwing over those that are striving to get the brass ring.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    edited July 2013
    Too bad all these prestigious organizations have such a bad track record with their predictions, eh? According to them, all our coastal cities should be under water by now.

Like all the famous con men of old, they just keep rolling along, getting richer, moving their doomsday date further down the line while secretly laughing at all the masses of idiots who continue to believe and finance them.

As David Hannum said, "There is a sucker born every minute". All those in the GW cult prove the saying.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Just to show I have an open mind I will post an article written by a drinking buddy from the Arctic days. Steve is probably the foremost Polar bear scientists in the World. I believe what he says. We have spent many hours drinking and debating who is to blame for GW. My contention, if 95% of all species that have lived are now extinct, why do we pretend we can stop the trend? Is it our mentality that says there is no problem $money cannot overcome? I might agree with Steve and Al if the political wonks were not filling their pockets with millions of dollars of other people's money.

http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/about-polar-bears/what-scientists-say/are- -polar-bear-populations-booming

Those that find the polar bears a nuisance.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/dec12/polar_bears.asp
    I wonder how many of those conspiracies will become reality, when Snowden tells all he has stored on those four laptops? I did not trust our governments long before guys like Snowden and Wikileaks started blowing the whistle.

That is exactly what I want US to do about GW. NOTHING. Clean the air, rivers, lakes and ocean. Quit trying to play god. I think the idiots we have running this state and Federal government believe they could have stopped the Ice Age.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Look at the people who want to hang Snowden on spurious treason charges - they are definitely hiding something. None of them are people I'd trust.

What irks me about the GW boogeyman is why the west should commit economic suicide to deal with it, while the BRICs and friends are allowed to continue with business as usual. The globalist one-worlder's dream, race to the bottom.
    The real sick part is so many idiot leaders signed onto Kyoto. And to my knowledge NONE have lived up the the Kyoto treaty. It was just another scam to steal from the gullible American tax payers.

Could this be true??

New EIA data shows USA inadvertently meets 1997 Kyoto protocol CO2 emission reductions without ever signing on thanks to a stagnant economy. Lowest level of CO2 emissions since 1994.

In 2012, a surprising twist and without ever ratifying it, the United States became the first major industrialized nation in the world to meet the United Nation’s original Kyoto Protocol 2012 target for CO2 reductions.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/04/05/usa-meets-kyoto-protocol-without-ever-embr- acing-it/
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    Probably true because of Obama's manipulation of the EPA and their war on coal...at the taxpayer's expense.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

No doubt, Obama's war on coal is going to devastate several states. It will raise electric rates, cause more unemployment with nothing to take its place. If it is a state that NG can be extracted they will not suffer as badly. End result more people below the poverty level, and on welfare. I know right today we in CA pay 2.5 times as much for our electricity as those on Coal power. Come up with a comparably priced alternative before you kill all those jobs and inflate the cost of electricity.
    I think cheap natural gas is hammering coal (not to mention nuclear). NG prices are probably suppressing solar and wind expansion as well. Warren Buffett probably isn't too thrilled about empty coal cars on his trains.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    edited July 2013
    Yes, it's cheap gas that's resulted in the US seeing the biggest drop in CO2 emissions of any country. Nothing to do with Obama's just-announced policies on coal, and, most importantly, NOTHING to with the myriad expensive government programs to try and promote expensive, inefficient, and, in many cases, just plain wasteful 'green' technologies.

That's my problem. Let's assume we want to reduce CO2 emissions because of GW. We make a HUGE amount of CO2, so it follows that we have to be VERY careful how we do it, or we could go broke and still fail. That's where today's government programs are: we ARE broke (just look at the EU), and the government programs (ethanol, huge subsidies for EVs, solar and wind) will break us AND do next to nothing to reduce CO2.

Natural gas is THE short term solution, back out coal production, meanwhile pursue nuclear power.

And we don't need a 'war on coal'. Just apply existing regulations to power emissions, and get rid of the nightmare that is mountain top removal. Low natural gas prices will do the rest.

As an EU researcher it, biofuels (as they currently exist) are a "crime against humanity". The US uses nearly HALF it's corn crop for ethanol, driving up corn prices world-wide. Europe uses both corn and wheat. And the drive for biodiesel resulted in mass destruction of rainforests in SE Asia to plant palm oil plantations. The GW impact of that may never be made up with biodiesel use, a true ecological disaster.

The 'law of unintended consequences' has no better case study than the world's missteps on GW.
    edited July 2013
    Current nuke technology isn't there - it's insane to subsidize that industry to generate cheap power to run air conditioners for thirty years and then spend billions for untold decades keeping tabs on the poisonous waste. I'm amazed they are still working on the one in Georgia - glad I'm not a shareholder or ratepayer there. Although I may still wind up on the hook since it sounds like it could be Solyndra Two. (CS Monitor).

The waste from nuclear plants is really not that big an issue, we almost solved it with the depository in NV, but that's been NIMBY'd to death.

The large costs are still an issue, though.
    Even if Yucca Mountain had already opened, can you imagine the train wreck moving the waste there? You think crude exploding in Quebec and spilling into the nearby lake and river was bad....

There's one place the government's spent a lot of money - nuclear container safety for trains and trucks. You can find lots of videos of huge flaming wrecks at high speed that demonstrate the safety of the containers. Really not an issue.
    lol, you'll excuse me if (Fujiyama) I don't want to be (TMI) on the train or semi (Chernobyl) transport route.

This discussion has been closed.