Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are automobiles a major cause of global warming?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,690

**On December 19, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals effectively erased Michael Mann’s initial court victory in his defamation lawsuit against Mark Steyn, National Review, Rand Simberg and the Competitive Enterprise Institute. **

http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/27/mann-v-steyn-mulligan/

edited January 13

Does this make Michael Mann a Fraud?

Geir Lundestad, Director, Professor, of The Norwegian Nobel Institute emailed me back with the following:

1) Michael Mann has never been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. 2) He did not receive any personal certificate. He has taken the diploma awarded in 2007 to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (and to Al Gore) and made his own text underneath this authentic-looking diploma. 3) The text underneath the diploma is entirely his own. We issued only the diploma to the IPCC as such. No individuals on the IPCC side received anything in 2007.

Lundestad goes on to say that, "Unfortunately we often experience that members of organizations that have indeed been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize issue various forms of personal diplomas to indicate that they personally have received the Nobel Peace Prize. They have not."

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    edited January 13

One of the wags at the home office complained last week that they had to wear socks with their sandals to work.

"Merely been associated with". Mann was a lead author on the “Observed Climate Variability and Change” chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report. The group that won the prize.

So he gets compared to Jerry Sandusky. Nice.

Wanna talk about GW or shall we continue to focus on Al and the Koch boys?

btw, you might enjoy The Truth by Michael Palin about a two faced environmentalist.

I have a stack of books to read that should last until I am 90. I see the issue much more clearly than making Mann look like the fool that he is. Steyn is a comedian/historian. Very entertaining to read and listen to. Mann suing him to me shows a real lack of wisdom. He brought Climate science down the level of comedy. And his credibiltiy was trashed in the process. I can imagine that Mann considered his part in the IPCC report worthy of a prize. Truth is he was NOT awarded the Nobel Prize.

As far as GW it is a dead monkey for now. At least until we get past this mini ice age. I will stay with the consensus of credible scientists like Lindzen and Curry. This I can agree with.

Curry has stated that she is troubled by the "tribal nature" of parts of the climate-science community, and what she sees as stonewalling over the release of data and its analysis for independent review. She has written that climatologists should be more transparent in their dealings with the public and should engage with those skeptical of the scientific consensus on climate change.

Lindzen says:

**Based on the weak argument that the current models used by the IPCC couldn't reproduce the warming from about 1978 to 1998 without some forcing, and that the only forcing that they could think of was man. Even this argument assumes that these models adequately deal with natural internal variability—that is, such naturally occurring cycles as El Niño, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, etc.

Yet articles from major modeling centers acknowledged that the failure of these models to anticipate the absence of warming for the past dozen years was due to the failure of these models to account for this natural internal variability. Thus even the basis for the weak IPCC argument for anthropogenic climate change was shown to be false. **

Meanwhile Scientists Back Up Climate ‘Hockey Stick’ Graph of Mann's. So they attack him and not the science. (redorbit.com)

Is Rush still addicted? Does Al Jr. still speed in his Prius? B)

**However, the findings dispute that notion. One of the analytical methods used in the study shows that temperatures in the Mediaeval Warm Period could have been no higher than they were in about 1980. Another method suggests they were no higher than those seen 100 years ago. **

Could have been, sounds like maybe possibly. That does not take into account hard evidence that some time in the past 1000 years there was cattle farming on Greenland where there is now is ice.

In 1991 two Caribou hunters in Greenland stumbled on a Viking farm that had been buried in the permafrost for 500 years.

http://toryaardvark.com/2009/11/27/climategate-greenland-another-inconvenient-truth/

They are farming in Greenland again but it doesn't sound like it's all roses. Funny place to have drought concerns. (CNN)

There you go your article says it all. It was once what it may again become. Opportunity knocks on some doors while others get slammed shut. Learn to adapt.

Global warming may very well be a threat to humanity, but here in Greenland it seems to be pushing this country back to what it was when it was discovered by the traveler Erik the Red. A lush, green piece of land that could offer good conditions for agriculture.

edited January 13

Something tells me it didn't take ~400 years for the current arable land to show up. :)

L'Anse aux Meadows was in the same time period but their "farm" only lasted a few years before they bugged out. Got cold again? (Wiki link)

Either way, L'Anse would make a great destination for a road trip for your VW.

Here's another greenhouse gas saver.

This Audi Can Predict When a Parking Space Will Open Up (Wired)

After living in Minnesota for 3 years I was convinced the Vikings discovered NA long before Columbus. I personally inspected the Runestone and decided it was for real. :) It is in a museum not far from my farm. In the 1970s it was taught in the public schools there. My wife taught in the local grade school.

Not sure if I would be going that far North. Trying to avoid bad weather as much as possible.

edited January 13

lol, I was thinking more like July for your road trip. They've been without power in parts of the province for almost two weeks and now they're getting hammered by rain and high winds. Did I post pics the other day? Now that's weather! (ctvnews.com)

edited January 13

I have opened doors to be faced with a wall of blown in snow. Kind of creepy not knowing how far you have to dig to get out of your building. If I sell out here and move East I will have more time for trips like that. That is a long ways up there to L'Anse aux Meadows. I'd rather go to Belize or Costa Rica before they are under water :p They are starting another ferry system from Tampa to Cancun. Make the drive to Belize and Costa Rica much shorter and safer.

edited January 13

My van's been there twice, fun trip, lots of ice bergs. In your case, south may be the better idea since diesel is widely available down that way. The ferry sounds like fun, may have to check that out (I assume walk-ons are okay). Also sounds like they start one every 5 years and they don't pan out.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,780

@Stever@Edmunds said: "Merely been associated with". Mann was a lead author on the “Observed Climate Variability and Change” chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report. The group that won the prize.

Who does this guy think he is, a politician?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

IF the Ferry system does get going again it will make the move for my brother easier to his home being built in Belize. I don't think I am ready for such a move. He is 18 years younger than me.

http://sanctuarybelize.com/

@gagrice, sorry, the system thought you were spamming and stuck your sanctuary posts in the spam filter.

I wondered why I was shut out and just went to harrassing Rocky on his FB page. Speaking of pollution, I wonder if the Atlantic will be safer than the Pacific since Fukishima. Man Made pollution is real. My kids are worried about their water supply coming out of the Ohio River. I think there are so many more pressing environmental issues than GW.

edited January 14

There's a way to verify people so the system won't flag posts, so that should fix the issue with you.

The Atlantic has its own issues with the Italian mob illegally dumping radioactive waste offshore but most of the waste was dumped legally by the UK. (BBC)

And the US dumped in the Atlantic too, and there's some in the Gulf of Mexico. (Wikipedia)

There's some argument that radioactive waste doesn't really dilute but simply gets spread further around (it's "diluted" but the argument is that if you happen to ingest any particles that wind up on your lettuce, your cancer risk increases). The real dilution is the half-life, and that can be very short to 24,000 years for a high level waste like Plutonium-239. Don't ask me which ones got dumped by Fukushima; there are lots and lots of different kinds of radioactive waste.

The nuke stuff is even more difficult to get your head around that all the GW papers. And the people who know the stuff are mostly in the industry so the whole trust issue boils down to believing GE or Greenpeace.

Btw, had king crab last week and some pacific haddock. But freshwater perch last night. ;)

I think that bad stuff from Fukishima is Cesium 134 & 137. Of course our communist friends in the Soviet Union dumped 100s of tons of nuclear waste in the World's oceans. One account when the cannisters did not sink they punctured them so they filled with water and sunk. That was off the coast of Norway. I guess my concern is what is going on NOW and not so much about theories of what may happen 100 years from now. Not to mention that the whole GW scam is really just corporate welfare. Take cash from GM and give to Tesla kind of thing.

Boise and Vermont in the path of Fukishima radiation??

The cesium-137 found in milk in Vermont is the first cesium detected in milk since the Fukushima-Daichi nuclear accident occurred last month. The sample contained 1.9 picoCuries per liter of cesium-137, which falls under the same 3.0 standard.

Radioactive isotopes accumulate in milk after they spread through the atmosphere, fall to earth in rain or dust, and settle on vegetation, where they are ingested by grazing cattle. Iodine-131 is known to accumulate in the thyroid gland, where it can cause cancer and other thyroid diseases. Cesium-137 accumulates in the body’s soft tissues, where it increases risk of cancer, according to EPA.

Airborne contamination continues to cross the western states, the new data shows, and Boise has seen the highest concentrations of radioactive isotopes in rain so far.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2011/04/09/radiation-detected-in-drinking-water-in-13-more-us-cities-cesium-137-in-vermont-milk/

edited January 14

Well, it's tied in because the pro-nukers tout nuclear as a clean energy source that will reduce GW emissions.

Pick your poison. B)

Sweden remained a net exporter of energy in 2013.

Autumn storms buffeted wind power generation. (thelocal.se)

Naturally, too much wind is a problem. :p (alaskadispatch.com)

This discussion has been closed.