Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel EGR Problems

124»

Comments

• willysjeepwillysjeep Member Posts: 107

Still turning the light on and off. Jeep will be 9 years old next month. It still runs well. I am wondering if it's worth the Green Diesel tune. The tune is expensive and I'm not sure how many more years I'll have the Jeep. If anybody still reads these things, feedback would be appreciated.

Weather has warmed up again. The yellow light with the EGR code has not come on in a few days. It runs well, but I'm doing town driving so my mileage is bad. Would the Green Diesel tune help that? A savings of a little more than 100 gallons will pay for the green Diesel tune and no more yellow light. I'm still thinking about it. Feedback?

• cmtackettcmtackett Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 liberty crd which engine wise has never had a problem. I only have 69k miles on it. Still looks great. I was reading the forum articles about my sudden issue of cutting out, loss of acceleration followed by revving and large plumes of black smoke. after all the comments, it seemed like it would be the EGR valve. took into jeep dealer, after "further diagnostics" they deemed the problem was the glow plugs and of course computer reset and cooling hose. the #4 glow plug has been bad for about 2 years. my question is can this be the real problem or the problem that will certainly squeeze more money out of me (est. $2007.00).
    Well, it will be April in a few days. The yellow light comes on with the same two codes. I use my little code reader and turn it off. I have had this Jeep 10 years and put up with the BS of the EGR for a long time. I still consider the Green Diesel tune from time to time, but am also thinking of getting rid of the Jeep. It's been an expensive vehicle to own. I do my own oil changes and have always used Mobil 1 0W40. Often I have used the better Mobil 1 filter. I change the oil every three to five thousand miles despite the manual telling me I can go 12,000 miles. I just can't see running that black liquid dirt through the engine that long.

This vehicle looks like it was a semi experiment from Chrysler when it was owned by the Germans. Now it is owned by the Italians. It's moved on and maybe I should to.

To CMtackett: I had the original ceramic glow plugs changed to the newer type long ago. I suspect you had to as well.