Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is our potential competitor!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    But the 335i is not in the same league as the C70 T5. It absolutely crushes the volvo in performance. The lesser 3-series will be a much closer competitor ... both in price and performance (as we discussed earlier in the thread).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Still the 328i ("lesser 3-series") base price is $4K more than the base price C70... still more expensive, unless $4K is nothing... maybe true for some. (I'd rather spend $4K on options.) Actually, I'd rather have the money that would allow me to have the attitude that $4k is nothing...
    now that's the price i needed (i thought it would be $40k).

It is going to depend on standard equipment, too, of course. Do you have those details by any chance? Or know where I can get them?

Its potentially good news for Volvo. If you read what I posted here a while back, I was worried that the bmw would be priced the same and really hurt volvo.

• Here is where I read the review but it was mostly about the 335i (with a tiny bit about the 328i).

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12348/first-drive-2008-bmw-335i-convertible- .html
    thanks for the link.

pricing has yet to be announced, so we'll have to wait to see what happens.

Of course, a key difference is that the bmw is RWD. For some folks, that's worth $4k (and then some).

If the pricing holds true, I think that's just fine. It leaves the volvo in its own little slot for now. Its for those who don't want RWD or the propeller badge and want more than VW has to offer.

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Simply put, if someone wants the bimmer they will spend the extra money to get it.
    The 2 cars appeal to different buyers.
    The C70 customer has more in common w/ the A4 and CLK customer than the bimmer customer.
    interesting perspective. I just can't agree, however, since I would look at the C70 and bimmer, but not the audi or CLK.

Unless you are a badge shopper (which, i admit, many shoppers are), the biggest difference on paper between the 328 and C70 is RWD vs FWD.

Of course, if someone wants the bmw they will spend the extra money.

Yes, but are you going to race the car?
    For the average driver, there isn't any difference in daily driving between FWD and RWD cars.
    You get in the car, commute, get stuck in traffic.
    Sometimes on the weekend you get to open the car up a little, but the average driver doesn't have the skill to exploit even the C70's abilities.
  • I think you are absolutely on point here, Volvomax. I have to agree.
    i'm not arguing with you at all. i try to avoid the whole rwd/fwd argument as much as possible, as a matter of fact. I'm just stating what the one big difference is in the 2 cars.

From what I'm seeing right now at this moment, I consider these 2 vehicles competitors. Does the A4 compete? I don't know. Are they coming out with a retractable hardtop A4? I don't pay attention to audi, for the most part. Is the new CLK going to be a retractable hardtop? If it comes it at ~$40k with 220+ hp, then it may be a competitor.

The C70 and 3-series aren't exactly the same, no, of course not. That would be silly. They each have their perceived strengths and weaknesses. If volvo holds a price advantage, that's definitely a plus in its column. Especially where it currently sits. I know there are a group of buyers who have a cap of $40k. Its kind of like searching for a house, you set a limit and, for the most part, nothing above that limit even hits your radar.

The reason that I mention the A4 and CLK is that they are also 4 seat convertibles.
    The people looking at the C70 have them on the list as well.
    More so than the SLK, XLR, SC430, and Eos. The other current Hardtop convertibles.
    Ok, fair enough. What about Saab?

Not even in the picture here.
    PHX isn't a good market for SAAB.
  • In my own case, our initial search criteria was for a four-seat convertible. The long list covered a lot of price range, and a lot of wildly-divergent cars: Mustang GT, Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, Toyota Solara, Pontiac G6, Volvo C70, Saab 9-3, BMW 3-series, Audi A4 Cab., VW Eos. We had a sort of unofficial out-the-door price cap of $50,000, so that left out the Mercedes CLK, and definitely excluded the BMW 6-series convertible.

We decided that we definitely liked the idea of a retractable hard-top, so the short list became the G6, Eos, C70, and the sole rag-top in the short list, the A4. At that time we didn't know about the new BMW 3-series, so it was only the old model. The G6 got ruled out first, for being (to us) a little plastic-y on the inside, although I like the exterior styling, and it would have saved us a lot of money. If the A4 had a retractable hardtop, I think I might have gone in that direction, but the overall package of the C70 won. (The Eos was also very nice, and some aspects of it are arguably better than the C70, but we liked the C70's styling much better. My wife was also bothered by how much the top operation made the car bounce and juggle, while the roof was in motion.)

The new BMW also looks very nice to me, but maybe not enough for what I think the price difference will be. In any case, my wife is the primary driver for our C70 (although I'm driving whenever we're both in the car), and she prefers the C70 styling to the BMW. At most, we are probably only driving the car at "seven tenths", and so FWD is not a real deterrent.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.59cada8b

Found this video - appears to be official BMW footage for eventual use in promos. I think it's a pretty car with the top down, although the back end doesn't really look like a bimmer to me. There is very little footage of the car top up and for good reason, I think. The top looks like one of those bulky hard shell replacements you had to have your friends help you put on in the fall when the drop top season was over. In my opinion, the C70 is a lot more attractive top up than the BMW, and more dynamic top down.
  • lemennlemenn Posts: 89
    I really don't like the BMW.

The rear of the car is ugly, the shape of the front seats looks bulky, the shape of the back seats looks unconfortable.

The only thing I would maybe like to have is the front seat belt system which again looks ugly but seems practical on this kind of cars.

So no regret for me, I just did a 360 miles trip the last 24 hours (mostly expressways) with my C70 and it was like a dream, cruise control + music relatively at high volume, heating seat on level 1, A/C on automatic, this is the perfect car for me and I like the look of everybody looking at the car when I pass them. They must think: "What is this car I never saw before?" I really feel like a star...
  • cuccicucci Posts: 49
    You ARE a star!!! A star to this forum!!!
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    Mais oui!!!
  • I agree. I love the C70. The lines, the style, the ride... I love the fact that the number being produced is limited (unlike the BMWs). The limited number will keep the re-sale value up and will keep the C70 unique among cars on the road. It really is a "superstar"!
  • lemennlemenn Posts: 89
    Should I start a fan's club?
This discussion has been closed.