Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is our potential competitor!

Comments

• blamb3blamb3 Posts: 41
    Just reporting back in after an absence of several months. Have had my manual tranny C70 for 4 months now...live in Wisc. so the top has been down twice. Agree with volvomax, the C70 is fast enough for my use....also....we have had nothing but snow and more snow all winter......the front wheel drive on the C70 has cruised through the snow....I'm amazed at it's ability. This is a great car in every way. I've owned Saabs and Audis....this is a much better car.
  • jecklesjeckles Posts: 87
    The new BMW is pretty nice looking. However, we own a 1997 328 convertible and my wife is ready for something new/different.

I consider the two options similar enough to evaluate, but our evaluation eliminated the BMW. Keep in my our evaluation was subjective.

The BMW favors performance (RWD, better weight distribution, etc.). The Volvo favors touring (fwd, softer suspension, etc.). I was able to autocross with our current BMW, but I will not autocross the Volvo... this makes my wife happy. I now have a different car for autocrossing.

Our C70 will be my wife's daily driver and for a daily driver, this car is absolutely fabulous. The versatility of the fwd helped sway our decision.

Also a minor influence was my mood towards BMW has soured over the years. Our car has been excellent, but the dealers were mediocre and the new styles are not to my liking.

The BMW is certainly more competition for the C70 and Eos. I don't see how it can't be.

I believe competition is good for both owners and buyers. Keeps the automakers on their game. Nothing is more irritating than a dealer who thinks they are the only ones with what you want...
  • For those who are interested, the US BMW web site (www.bmw.com, then pick US) now has the "build your car" feature running for the new 3-series convertible, with retractable hard-top.

MSRP for the 230hp 328i conv. is $43,200, so about $4K over a C70. MSRP for the 300hp 335i is $49,100, or about $10K over (of course you are getting a much more powerful engine with the 335).

I did a "build it" exercise, to put options on that were more or less like my C70, and the 328i stayed $4-5k more expensive, and broke the magic $50k barrier. The 335i didn't go up quite as much, as some more things are standard on it, ending up $8-9k more than my C70.

Bottom line for me is that seeing the pricing of the BMW has reinforced that I made a good decision in getting the C70. Moreover, with the price difference between the 328i and 335i being only around $4k (when optioned equivalently), I would have a hard time resisting the temptation of the 335i. So practically speaking, getting the C70 saved me $8-9k, not just the $4-5K for the more comparable 328i. (I know that's not logical, but if car buying was just logic we'd all be driving a Toyota Prius.) That said, both BMW models are pretty nicely done.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    I priced out the BMW too...about $3200 more for the 328i equipped about the same. The BMW has a few things the C70 does not and vice versa. For instance, the BMW does not appear to have the side curtain airbags like the C70 and the Volvo's bi-xenon headlights do not turn with the steering like the BMW (and some other Volvos). Interestingly the 328i is rated at 230 hp vs. the 218 for the C70. About $267 per horse. Both cars are about 3800 lbs.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    RWD. For alot of folks, RWD, extra ponies, AND the propeller badge are easily worth a few extra grand.

I have no doubt this car will suck alot of C70 sales away from volvo.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    What is alot?
    The C70 isn't going to sell in big numbers anyway.
    It's a niche car.

There is probably going to be a $7-10,000 difference in price between the C70 and the new bimmer.
    For the true believers, they will pay the extra $$ to drive a bimmer.
    For the undecided, it may be enough to steer them to the Volvo.
    the price difference was just posted. It is between $3k and $4k.

I don't think the person needs to be a true believer, honestly. If it truly were a $7k difference, that would be a whole other story. But at $3k, I think you'll loose alot of the "undecided" just because of the badge. For an 8% price difference, I think most uninformed shoppers will feel the added cache of the propeller is easily worth it.

• autoeduautoedu Posts: 47
    In a busy downtown area, one restaurant serves German cuisine, another restaurant Swedish specialty. Sure they are in direct competition for your dining pleasure, but both will be busy and prosper with their own clientele.

The Volvo C70 somehow looks sexier, feels more intelligent, and exudes more elegance than the BMW. Their is something different about the smart, understated beauty of Scandanavian design. Once inside a Volvo there is a peaceful comfort that is relaxingly safe, with everything designed for the driver's well-being. Everything is smooth, simple, functional; from the slim center console to the notoriously comfort of the Volvo seat.

The BMW, on the other hand, is a marriage between European style and German engineering. The BMW brand is well recognized, its cars excel in performance, but its design come across as too aggressive and flashy for my taste. The interior is busy and overwhelmed with electronics buttons and controls.

Those who wants to experience the prowness of German engineering will appreciates the performance of BMW.

For others who appreciates the beauty and comfort of Scandanavian luxury and style will enjoy and feel safe in a Volvo.

Personally I like the C70. If I want to experience the performance of German-engineering vehicle, I will save another $15K for a Porsche...if I can afford both that Cayman is just as sexy and beautiful as the C70

• I also think the C70 looks better. But a big difference is FWD vs RWD. If you get snow where you live, the C70 is a hands down winner. And one of the reasons I bought the Volvo. :)
    I don't see how.
    I just price a 328ic w/ the same equipment as on a $47000 C70 I got up to $56000 on the Bimmer.
    Yes, the base price is close, but BMW really gets you on options.
    Good luck finding a cheap 328ic.
  • flheatflheat Posts: 46
    Scandanavian Luxury ala Buick
    image image
    I cannot rationalize the cost of a C70 that looks like a 10 year old Buick and is not able to compete in drivability to the 3 Series. Even with the higher price of the BMW it is a bargin compared to the C70; those looking for a better bargin will chose a VW Eos at almost 10 grand less than the C70 and better overall performance.
    Well,I think everyone who has bought one would disagree w/ you.
    But what do they know? :confuse:
    Wow! Those are so dissimilar that I can't even come up with a strong enough insult that would appropriately describe your eye for style.

• cricket4cricket4 Posts: 94
    I hope that if I ever commit a crime and escape in my C70 that the cop that puts an APB out on me & my car has the same attention to detail as you do. I will be home-free! A Buick!?!!?
    I'm not sure what you're doing. I just tried a comparison by loading up stuff I wouldn't even want. Got to $46k on the volvo and $51k on the bimmer, and the bimmer would have more features than the volvo at that price (for instance, dynamic cruise control, 14-way power seat vs 8-way, and TPMS [does volvo even offer this? i couldn't find it on the website]).

• tom007tom007 Posts: 40
    If you are serious about the C70 looking like a 10 year old Buick, then I believe you had better go to your Optometrist there in Florida.You have a serious problem recognizing objects and shapes. Thanks for the laugh of the week for me.
  • Didn't you notice that both cars were silver, and had two doors, and four wheels?

I can see the TV news anchor, reporting live from the scene of a crime:

"The suspect drove off in a silver two-door coupe, which might have been either a new Volvo C70 or a 10 year-old Buick. Police expect to narrow it down further if the suspect is able to put the top down."
  • It is always amazing to me to see posts that are knocking the brand of car that a forum is about. It is one thing to talk about other brands being nice cars, or competitive alternatives, and/or also appealing to people with different priorities, etc. But what is the point of talking about how bad a Volvo is, in a Volvo forum? I don't think I would bother trying to post "C70's are a much better deal than the new BMW" messages on a BMW forum. (Although perhaps those messages are there, as well.)

It reminds me of when I was checking out a Mustang forum, becasue I was interested in the new 2005 Mustang. Half of the posts in the forum that was dedicated to the new model were from owners of the old model, who were bashing the "newbie" owners of the new model for being "not real Mustang enthusiasts".
  • cricket4cricket4 Posts: 94
    Well said. Some of these posts are just made to incite (trolling). Why feed the trolls, right? I suppose it would be best not to even respond.
    I agree with you ... in those cases.

However, this is technically a comparison board. So I expect some BMW fans will bash the volvo and vice versa.

Of course, that still doesn't excuse the buick post. ;b

This discussion has been closed.