Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Tires and Wheels

How big of tires can you fit on a 2001 2500hd duramax without cutting anything

Comments

• i believe you can get 285/70/R17 or 285/65/R16 it depends on what size rim you have on your truck now.
  • Hi guys, I have a 99 silerado 4x4. 16" rims nice ones (Chrome). I was told that I can put on 285/75/16 as the biggest tires with some cutting of front bumper. The truck doesn't have a lift but does have airbags in back. I mostly use the truck for highway. I would like the widest tire size for the back and a little smaller for the front. I'm not sure which tires would look best and preform on the highway. Racing look or offroad look. The truck hardly ever sees 4x4 unless winter. What do you recomend? Racing the streets in Mass.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    If you are referring to the stock chrome plated 16" rims, 285s are the widest that you could install without causing abnormal tire wear due to the width of the rim. Unless you don't plan to rotate the tires I wouldn't recommend different sized tires for the front and back.
  • Obyone, I probably won't rotate my tires so could you tell me what size I might be able to use for the back tires? I want them wide as possible. I will be using the 285's for the front. The rims are not stock or deep either. Also there are so many brands and styles to choose from any recomendations? The tire places around here just want to grab your money and send you off. They don't want to really help you out. If you want to see my truck go to www.lpbt.bravehost.com click on pictures. Mine is the white silverado. David.
    If you plan to install 285s on the front, I don't see how you could go wider on the rears as the 285s are at the limit. This link will help you to calculate the tire sizing and using 285 as the widest you should be able to calculate other sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

I had installed 275/70R16 on my truck and experienced feathering on the front tires as they were a bit wide for the stock rims.

Once you decide on the size you want, you can use this to check out the various brands that are available for that size here and you can also compare prices.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp

For myself, I'm partial to the Michelin LTX M/S. A bit pricey but great tires. Guess it depends on what you're looking for in a tire. The site also has recommended brands based on customer reviews.

Nice truck. Looks like you have invested a lot of time and money into it. Aren't those Apache tires made by General? You wouldn't believe the problems I've had with Generals...course that's another story.

Good luck with your search.
  • Thank you for the info. I don't know anything about tire sizes except what I was told. The general tires came with the truck new when I bought it. (used) David.
  • On a 4x4 your front and rear tire diameter need to be the same or you could break the transfer case.
  • I was able to put 285 75 16 on my silverado. (baha mt wide track) 127.00 each. Tires this size are ussually over 200.00 each. They look aggresive and no road noise. They are definately alot bigger than my 275's. Alot of people are complimenting the truck even more. I just installed diamond plated mud flaps to the rear and it finishes off the chrome look of the truck. :)
  • Hi,

It there is a less aggressive tire then the 265R17 all season radial tire which is standard on the GMC 2007 Sierra SLT model. The vibration from the tire is to much for my wife.
  • Hi gang, I have a 99 silverado 4x4 with airbags in the back. I bought it 2 years ago used. Truck is in nice shape. The body doesn't bounce when foring it down by hand. ( the old shock test) When should I replace the shocks? When traveling down roads that are in repair it's rough. A friend that owns a TOYOTA 4x4 says he has no trouble and it is comfortable. Someone enlighten me... :confuse:
  • Thanks for the link

-Mike
    Aren't those airbags adjustable?
  • Yes the airbags are adjustable. They are at 30 lbs. I like the slightly raised look. I would think that you still would have to replace the shocks though wouldn't you? I was also thinking of the front ones as well. Is there a mileage or any other things that would lead me to think I need to replace them? I don't know how old they are since I bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it and now it's slightly over 100.000 miles. :)
    I replaced the stock shocks at 10k miles with Edlebrock IAS shocks. Was a little to stiff for me so switched to some HD Bilsteins which worked out fine.

The airbags are designed to support the load in the truck and would be responsible for your "firm no bounce" shock test. At 100k miles you should definitely consider changing all four shocks.
  • Thank you for the update on the shocks :) David.
  • bach1bach1 Posts: 1
    I heard that there is a chip out there that will convert the 2005 allison 5 spd to a 6 spd. Supposedly the tranny is already designed to work as a 6 spd is not set up electronically.
  • I can't figure out how to begin a new subject...sorry. I want to get new tires for my husband. He want it to sit up higher without getting a lift kit. What size tires would replace his current ones so he can do this? It is a 2005 crew cab. I think he has 245/75/16..whatever was stock is what is on there.
  • I want to get new tires for my husband. He want it to sit up higher without getting a lift kit. What size tires would replace his current ones so he can do this? It is a 2005 crew cab. I think he has 245/75/16..whatever was stock is what is on there.