Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    From what I read on various Mitsubishi owners reviews, Mitsu cars a pretty reliable too.
  • thekingtheking Posts: 107
    There is 1 problem........go trade in an Outlander.....Mitsu has very bad resale value.........!!!!! :cry:
  • I understand and respect that issue...however the best "real" trade offer I got on the Element was almost 4k below original msrp. Luckily I didn't pay msrp...and didn't on the Outlander either.
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    go trade in an Outlander.....Mitsu has very bad resale value

And I wonder who sets these values. IMO, if your car has a been well maintained with a respectable service record, you can always ask for a good resale value. I think the resale value is more affected by how much other people would want to buy your 2nd hand car, rather than how well you maintained your car. When I bought my Outlander, I knew Mitsus don't get high resale values, mainly because most people like 2nd Hondas and Toyotas. But when I bought it for a good price, I always intended it for keeps. This Outlander will be a family CUV for years to come. And I bet it will be a good 6-8 years before a totally new model comes out. If I sell it after 3-4 years, I will lose big money, and I don't see why I would sell it. Every time I drive it I still enjoy the handling and acceleration as much as I did when it was new.
  • Enjoying it is what counts the most. As I always say, "If you're not having fun, you're wasting the gas"! :D
  • jflorjflor Posts: 20
    "There is 1 problem........go trade in an Outlander.....Mitsu has very bad resale value"

This problem comes from ideas and opinions of people who have never owned or actually driven a mitsubishi vehicle. To cite an example, my brother-in-law says to everyone that mitsubishi cars and SUVs have poor quality when in fact he has never owned one! My experience with mitsubishi started with a 1987 1.4L RWD lancer and because of it was so reliable, i never changed brands. My wife's 2003 outlander still drives and looks like new and she intends to drive it as long as she can. Why? because it never has given her a headache after all these years. I presently drive a 2004 galant which was way way cheaper than a camry or a accord and much as i want to buy the new 2007 outlander, i still enjoy driving my current car day after day.
  • thekingtheking Posts: 107
    You are right.........If you keep a car or truck until the wheels fall off then resale does not mean anything...I have always felt that there are circumstances like a job loss or a need to sell the vehicle unexpectedly that resale value is important...as I always say have the best of health and happiness with your new vehicle :)
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    There is 1 problem........go trade in an Outlander.....Mitsu has very bad resale value.........!!!!!

It is a problem I agree... there is a reason why HonYotas are laughing all the way to the bank.
    The wise financial solution would be to buy a $2000 used car in decent condition, that would last you 4-5 years and invest the rest of the money that you would pay on a Honda or Toyota. At the end of the term, I bet would really laugh at the bank. The unfortunate thing is that Honda and Toyota don't build inexpensive AND good looking AND fun to drive cars. I don't have anything against Honda or Toyota, they build good cars, but every time I was shopping for a car, I couldn't stick to them.
  • Honda and Toyota laugh all the way to the bank as long as people buy their cars. They're not really concerned about what happens after the first person buys it.

The problem with buying a Toyota or Honda and having resale value be a factor, you pay extra if you're the first buyer. On average, you will pay $2,000-3,000 more after final negotiation on one of their vehicles if customer stories hold any truth with you. The worst part is that that "resale premium" you pay for at the initial sale of the car depreciates as well, which leaves you without a real advantage in terms of profit (though finding a buyer may be easier).

In the end, it's best to buy what you like best and can also afford. Unless you change cars like underwear, you shouldn't buy a car you don't enjoy simply because you feel it will be worth more down the road. If you plan on driving it up to 100,000 miles, then resale value definitely shouldn't be a concern because at that point, cars are all heavily-depreciated at that point, no matter the brand.

Just buy what feels right.
  • Good post....

I paid Invoice for my XLS...[paid cash] ..I figure that a comparably equipped Honda or Toyota would have cost me over $4 G's more...at least...

Now, what did I do with the extra $4 G's....?

I bought 6 one oz. gold coins.....

Guess who will come out ahead in 5 years....! :)
  • ajm831ajm831 Posts: 11
    Just ordered the new beige XLS fully loaded from South Park Mitsubishi here in Pittsburgh. Between my trade (2000 outback) and the discount for the Outlander, I thought that I was treated fairly. ($1600 off MSRP and $7500 for my beat up Outback). They couldn't find any beige cars and had to order it from the factory. I keep my cars for quite a while. Does any body have any experience with the extended warranty? What's a good price for that? I was quoted 10% off the retail price. thanks.
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    I am waiting for this color to be in stock so I can see it.
    Looks like off white or cream on mitsubishicars.com. May take a while but I can wait.
  • Help. I'm seriously considering buying an Outlander LS. I have a few questions about it, if any one can give me some info.

1. In laymen's terms, what is the difference between the 18 inch and 16 inch tires, besides 2 inches? What difference does it mean in handling, ride, etc.? I haven't met a car salesman who could explain it to me!

2. Are the top rails just for show or are crossbars available to mount ski racks or other stuff on? If they are, does Mitsubishi offer them or would I have to go the aftermarket route?

3. Color...such a personal choice. My preference would be for red but the Phoenix Red is such an 'in your face'red. I've having a hard time deciding which one I would pick.

The only other car I'm seriously considering is a Subaru Outback wagon. My current ride is a Chevy Suburban in Dark Carmine Red. I'm in the NY area.
    2. Are the top rails just for show or are crossbars available to mount ski racks or other stuff on? If they are, does Mitsubishi offer them or would I have to go the aftermarket route?

http://paxtech.blogspot.com

In Japan, you can buy it from Mitsubishi as an accessory. In the US, there's nothing like that sold, so you can probably buy 3rd party and end up saving a few bucks. Oh yes it's fully functional, all you need are your crossbars and you can hang your mountain bikes on.
    I am in love. :P

Took delivery on brand new 07 outlander in glory (graphite gray pearl) color. Apparently glory is the name of the color who knew. Sticker says manufactured in dec 06 (at okazaki plant).

Love it. My wife who is not into cars loves it. XLS is definetely a huge step up for us.

Its hard to stay away from the garage. Might sleep in it tonight :blush: Just kidding :P
    Congrats on your purchase. The pictures are next. ;) Hope we get to see your ride.
  • jdwksujdwksu Posts: 27
    That is what I was thinking... :)
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Thats $999 under Edmunds Invoice Price.
  • billyybillyy Posts: 11
    I saw this auction about 2 weeks ago. And there also some else dealer posted their new outlander on eBay. But still not trust just by seeing the pictures from web. Better get into the car and try it by yourself. Beside, check carefully those payment detail, dont suggest put down alot down payment/deposit or any fees before you acutally get the car. :surprise:
  • I paid $29,093 for my fully loaded 07 XLS/4WD/Nav/Leather... $500 over dealer invoice, MSRP was $30,615. I might have been able to save a few hundred bucks off that, but they gave me a reasonable trade-in value. The loan is at 3.9% for 48 months through Mitsubishi, no penalty for pre-paying.

The nav models are harder to find in my area (socal) so they aren't discounting them as much as the lower models. Several of the local Mitsu dealerships are owned by the same person, so there isn't an easy way to beat them down on price. I thought the deal was pretty good.
    Careful, this XLS is a 2WD. Not a 4WD. I just thought of letting you know that before you buy it.
  • jdwksujdwksu Posts: 27
    Well it is in dallas. not much need for a 4wd down there.
  • Yesterday, got the XLS 4WD, Luxury pkg, Sun & Sound pkg (MSRP $28,815) for $28,000 even. Had a $13,000 trade and financed the remainder at the Mitsubishi special of 4.9 for 60.
  • rsmumrsmum Posts: 2
    I also just bought (Sunday) the XLS fully loaded for $26,699 with 4.9% for 60 months. I think I got a great deal... I have so many toys, I want to keep driving around to call everyone. I love the Bluetooth. My daughter loves the Nav system. And I haven't even blown the speakers out yet! The ride is so smooth, I can't tell if it's on when I'm at a light.

And yes, in Florida, no need for the 4WD either :)
  • Wow, sub-27k is a fantastic price! I'm picking up my fully loaded AWD XLS today (hopefully) for $27,792, which I'm more than happy with.

While I'm excited about getting my car, my buying experience hasn't been perfect. At first I wanted a different color, and they ordered me one that they claimed was exactly what I wanted. When I went to pick it up I looked in it, and lo and behold, no NAV. I almost walked out the door, but they offered me a below-invoice price while they searched for the right one. I gave them a couple othe color options that I would accept, and they found one and had it delivered this AM. It's the graphite grey one, and while I originally thought I wanted one with the beige interior, the all black is starting to grow on me. I'll give an update after I pick it up.
    New owners, who recently picked up their Outlanders, what is the manufacturing date on your vehicle?
    The reason I'm asking is to try to figure out if/when the front end knock and mirror rattle have been fixed on the Mitsu's assembly line.
    All the Outlanders I've checked out in Toronto - and I checked out quite a few of them, are manufactured in December 06. The two I drove exhibited both issues.
    Mine is unfortunately 06 dec.. But knock on fake laminated wood :surprise: I dont have front end knock. Either that or I am deaf.. Perhaps I jinxed myself already. :cry:

btw, I do have mirror rattle :mad: