Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CNG Conversion Kits For Other Vehicles?

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
edited March 8 in Toyota
s

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• 1lexigas1lexigas Posts: 7
    Greetings,
    I am starting my quest by searching the internet and this appears to be the ONLY active CNG forum.
    If you know of others , please let us know.
    I have corresponded with a fellow in Lithuania that says he is going to get his vehicle converted totally for $1000USD.
    This is for a Dual Fuel vehicle (gasoline and CNG).

Does anyone know of,any USA source for a conversion kit for a Toyota Corolla-have a 2005 drive by wire engine 1.8L.

I have found a couple of companies in Argentina and Brazil that make kits, but whether they would work on the common Toyota Corrolla has yet to be determined.
    AM I barking up the wrong tree here??????
    Has anyone explored the possibility of obtaining the kit and doing the conversion themselves?
    I assume the Honda conversion kit is made overseas (since they are the pioneers of CNG on common vehicles).
    Is this feasible that I can install a kit myself, buy a Phil for home fueling and live happily ever after.
    ANY links, would be appreciated.
    ANY experience or advice would be appreciated.
    I have been batting zero so far and am hoping for sucess rather than just buying the single fuel Honda.
    I have nothing agaist Hondas, I just happen to have a newer Corolla)
    Thanks for any guidance.
  • rstrst Posts: 73
    1lexigas:

If you are in Southern California you should try an auction house. They usually have 10-15 bifuels and straight cng vehicles for preview and sale. One of my employees bid on a bifuel Ford (formerly in the UCLA fleet) and took it home. This would be much easier than a conversion. Most of the vehicles at the auction are pickup trucks. Occasionally they have auto cng tanks. I went to the auction to check it out and there was a I-H pickup truck bed with at least 10 3600psi cng tanks (with 2015 "freshness" dates) up for bid. It went for (no kidding) $5.00 for the bed and all. If you are interested I will get you what the Ford went for and the web site of the auction house(s).
  • 1lexigas1lexigas Posts: 7
    Sure
    Thanks
    my email is
    compakone@yahoo.com
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    In the late 1980s and early 1990s it was common to convert vehicles especially PU trucks to run on gas or LNG/CNG. In 1993 conversion prices were $4500-$5000. At that time in San Diego there were only a few places to get fuel. When I got ready to do the conversion in about 1996 all the places had gone out of business. One of the downsides is the tank is fairly large for a Corolla sized vehicle. They also have to be inspected on a regular basis. The conversions are not eligible for the HOV lanes in CA. I think you would be ahead to sell the Corolla and buy a Civic GX (CNG) new or used. Then buy a PHILL for your home.
  • vellomikevellomike Posts: 1
    I live here in W.V. and have free natural gas piped to my home I'm looking at the pump by Phill that runs for around $4K but I'd like to get a car converted to run on cng first any clues where to find a company that would sell such a thing? the only ones I can find are for small stuff[one barrel] I think I'd like a 4barrel conversion kit any help would be good thanks.
  • bank1avpbank1avp Posts: 78
    Vellomike, I have both for you alt fuel vehicle and FMQ2 Fuelmaker pump. WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM

Since you are pumping from a well make sure you also install a filter and a dryer before the gas ends up in your vehicle.

Murphy
  • I'm also looking to convert/buy a CNG vehicle and would also be interested in the different auction houses.

Thanks -

rstilskin@hotmail.com
  • i am interested in doing many conversions and would love to know how to find out about those auctions. thanks
  • daugmandaugman Posts: 1
    Has anyone performed the good math on the true cost of a Phill home station? My back of the envelope calcs tell me i don't save much by using; that is, ok, i get nat gas for $1 vs $3 for gasoline, but then i spend $5000 installed for a phill unit that wears down and then needs another $2000 of refurb...so its just like paying more for the fuel since its a variable cost....
  • Installing a Phill was the first thing I was going to do after I got my GX. After realizing how convienient my local 24/7 fuel source was, and doing the math, I figured I can live without one for now.
    I still may get one in the future, you cant beat it for convienience, that may be worth the money for a lot of folks.
    J
  • rst,
    Please post in the thread or email me the auction house web sites. I am trying to find a bi-fuel CNG cargo van.

Thank you!

mcr970@yahoo.com
  • This is probably the largest one source of all:

http://autoauctions.gsa.gov/
    Better hurry - GSA is selling off all remaining such vehicles. Beware they may not have CNG fuel in them when you preview at the auctions, so it may be a gamble as to whether or not the CNG systems are working.

There are other dealer sites such as these I have found that resell them when in stock:

http://www.cngmotors.com/

http://www.gobestauto.com/

http://www.cngvehicles.homestead.com/

You may also find some on e-Bay under the search heading for CNG.
  • Got two cargo vans for you at www.cngmotors.com
  • Own a 2007 4-runner used for deliveries. A working conversion on one 2007 will lead to the rest of the delivery fleet being converted, all 2007 4-runners.
  • I have a Toyota Highlander that I am interested in converting. How might I go about doing this?

Thanks - Joe
  • I own a 2005 Honda Accord Ex. Can anyone please email me on how , where and how much conversion to CNG will cost? I live in Dover DE and gas prizes are simply outrageous.
    Thanks.
    bimzeffect@yahoo.com
  • joppman82joppman82 Posts: 1
    you can hook your truck up using this web site mycngkit.com. It will run you about $950 for the conversion kit and another $2500 for the tanks. You could probly find cheaper tanks somewhere. example http://www.cngmotors.com/gal/cng/portfolio.php?cat_id=41. I am so surprised there are not more busines who are bringing nat gas to cars, hell i think it would be a killer business to start. Have a shop that is dedicated to converting cars to nat gas and installing the home pump in the garage ex. the phil from honada
  • thebundothebundo Posts: 5
    If any kit isn't EPA certified, it's a HUGE fine
  • droplever1droplever1 Posts: 5
    All,
    I am seriously considering building one of the water to hydrogen fuel kits for my '92 Full size Bronco. I will probably do it regardless of feedback, but i'm curious if anyone has tried it???
    with gas @ $3.97 here I dont have much choice other than selling it, and i cant stand the thought of that. i will let you know how it goes
  • dyess5dyess5 Posts: 13
    I have one in my 2002 infiniti Q45. You will be pleased. I have better mileage, horsepower, and it runs alot better. I put together a manual on www.makeahybrid.com . it works very well !
This discussion has been closed.