Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460 Navigation System

2»

Comments

• rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    I am not planning to go as far as asking for a rebate from Lexus, but I do hope that a lot of readers of this forum will register with http://www.lexusoverride.com/ to make it clear to Lexus that they should try to find a solution to this problem.

We (or our passenger) should be able to enter a Nav destination without having to get off the highway.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    There is an override kit from Prestigious Society that works. It's a plug and play module that lets you use the system in motion. It's about $299 which is pricey but it does do the job.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/pdfs/DVD_nav_overide_pamphlet.pdf

For some information and chung@prestigioussociety is a good information. If you live in LA they can install it for you. It's actually a Japanese kit but they happen to be the US distributor for it. They are a great company to deal with. It works with the 7.1 and the 8.1 map updates for the LS460, LS460L, and the LS600HL.
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    Did anyone else get the email for the $199 map disc? It says its until the end of the month.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    I got an email from lexus@sewellparts.com offering the new Nav update for $199. It also indicates that the update for the LS460 is now in the form of a USB memory device. My dealer says installation cannot be done at home as it requires 4 different special tools, and their change is $120. Does anyone know if that's true, and if not how do you install it?
  • The NAV System on the LS460 in any year Prior to 2009 is a Gen 5,
    This CANNOT be upgraded to Gen 6 without a Susbstantial HW Upgrade...(in excess of $10K)...

Bob
  • Boy, I just encountered the exact same thing today. Did you ever get any help on this?
  • I got no help from this site, but in the meantime my dealership has changed hands and the new one (South County Lexus of Mission Viejo) quoted me "about $250", although they are not yet set up to do it because their computer system has to be updated. It sounds to me like the price has to cover the cost of preparing the data, not the cost of the installation. I'll let you know the final when it is done.
  • So they (South County Lexus, Mission Viejo) got their act together and installed the Nav update on my 08 LS460, charged me $199 for the software and $60 for the installation. That seems to be the fair price for the update.
  • What's new in the update from 2008 version?
  • There are no new features. Just updated roads and interchanges, addresses (where new houses were built), and of course business changes. I would think in areas that have been fairly stable you wouldn't need to update. But here in Southern California where they're building a new mall and a new freeway every other week you need it :-)
  • fbr3fbr3 Posts: 1
    I have an '09 LS 460 AWD. Nice car with some slight issues (slight but noticeable hesitation at about 40 mph, and odd noises from under the hood on deceleration). I find most anything done with the LEXUS NAV system overly complicated and tiresome to deal with. NOT a simple system. Especially if you AND your wife each have a Bluetooth enabled cell phone!

GMC must use a similar system in their Denali's as the voice and screen are similar, just not as deep in functionality. They, too, do not trust us to have our travel partner (my wife in this case) update NAV entries, etc. This is our Government in action, not LEXUS. Still aggravating though. A company or two have some fixes to allow entry while driving for most cars. The LS 460 not being one it seems.

I have an '02 Corvette convertible with no NAV system other than the GARMIN NUVI purchased for travel in it. GARMIN seems to feel that with a hold harmless warning we do anything while driving at our own risk. Good enough for me. In this society of law suit crazies, I am not sure I blame LEXUS or GM for their caution. They should, however, offer GARMIN's hold harmless soluton.
  • I was at Sewell Lexus in Ft. Worth yesterday and they informed me that the software to do this update is delivered in a thumb drive (USB device) and that it's cost is $165 with the installation cost being $120. It has to be downloaded from the thumb drive into a computer which is then connected to the car and installed. I seriously doubt that this will ever be a home installation setup. It would be very easy to do with a DVD that is pre-programmed to update the onboard computer and install the update when put into the DVD player built into the automobile. The only DVD's I have seen with this setup are about 7 gig's in size which means that we are now talking about a Blueray player which these cars do not have. Another way to keep those U.S. dollars flowing toward Japan. :^(
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I don't disagree with anything you said, and am grateful for the info, because I was interested in doing the same thing, and wondered about the cost. Now, at least, thanks to you, I have some numbers to go to my dealer with in case they want to gouge me, a favorite passtime of our dealer. However, I will mention that a combined cost of $285 for the total update isn't out of line really. The DVD to update my 05 and 02 LS430s, cost me $250 from Sewell, and I installed it myself, but still, only $35 difference all in all. My Fords DVDs cost $200 to buy, with self installation. I expected frankly to pay a lot more, since this is a "captive update system" now. Thanks for the info, again. Very helpful.
2»