Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (owner experiences)

a6chrisa6chris Posts: 15
edited March 6 in Toyota
I juts bought a new a new Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner
V6 extra cab, 900 miles on it and man it is GREAT!
I love it. I always wanted a high quality TOYOTA
and now I own one yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!!

Dave

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    ..is that like Jumbo shrimp?

- Tim
  • I have a 2000 Prerunner V6 extended cab--which I love. The only thing I don't like is the gas mileage which has been 17 highway. Is this common/normal? I have ~3000 miles on this beauty. Could something be wrong?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Wrong with a Toyota?? NEVER!!!!
  • My Milegae too is - not wonderful, but then again, I figure 3.4 V6, gearing etc, I just live with it. Best of all it is a TOYOTA reknown for it's quality! I love the looks from the big trucks here in TX, I know they are thinkin it's a "runt" truck" - but we will see whom is still on the road 10 years from now, me or thier big american iron clunkers. Case in Point, my wifes NEW 2000 PLymouth Voyager suddenly lost the tachometer and speedo this weekend, and then it came back! after a "restart" of the engine, and it also ocassionally does other odd things, like running rough on a cold start, and then a "re-start" make it smooth back out, These are things I do not expect I will ever see occur in the TOYOTA, but are indicative of the still remaining "lower quality" found in american made cars.
  • I have a 99 Pre-runner v-6, that gas mileage improved after about the first 5k miles and oil chnage. Best I 've got is near 22 per gallon doing mostly freeway. See if it improves with more miles.
  • Thanks to Dave and Shaky for their positive comments. I'm looking forward to a little better gas mileage now...will drive my truck more in hopes of accomplishing this goal!!! No matter, I still love it!
  • I have a 1999 Prerunner V6 XTcab and I love it. I can relate exactly to Dave. I too live in Texas and get the same looks from those big unstyled, oversized, pickups. I love the body on my Tacoma, it just looks styled! My gas mileage varies: 17 City (if I drive it like a baby), as low as 13 City (if I drive it hard), and usually about 22 highway. I just checked the Blue Book value on it: only $500 less then what I paid for it! These trucks hold their value!
  • I have a 1999 V-6 prerunner XTcab. Here is the ticket. Buy from and have the dealer install the TRD supercharger like I did (that way it falls under the full factory warranty) and the big boys will not feel so big next time you leave the light together. (It is more fun if you avoid putting any of the TRD supercharger stickers on the truck.)

I get about 14/16 mpg around town and 20 or so highway if I don't put my foot in it a lot. On the other hand the supercharger requres premium gas but what the heck.
  • Edmund's road test of the 2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner is now available. Here's the direct link to the Spin Around Town: 2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner, by Neil Dunlop. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • eds6eds6 Posts: 1
    I bought my new Toy Tacoma Prerunner XTCab V6 at the end of September. I get 21/22 mpg mostly highway miles. So far I love the truck, peppy and looks great. My only concern is initial quality. The drivers auto door lock quit working, and I'm having problems with the remote entry. This is my 3rd Toyota Truck and the others had no initial quality problems. The dealers service department has no concept of Customer Service but then again they are a car dealer. At any rate I'll get these minor problems worked out and the vehicle is all I expected.
  • I'm curious....what SR5 packages are people getting on their PreRunners?

From pictures, I am opposed to the chrome package as it draws serious attention to the grille (not my favorite design Toyota has come up with).

The color keyed packages seem a bit nicer but I suppose when I visit them in person I'll know.

Thx
  • I just bought a 2000 PreRunner, extra cab, with the 190 horsepower V-6. By way of background, my old truck was a 1990 Toyota regular cab 4x4. When I traded it, it had 160,000 miles on it. I felt the truck could have easily gone past 200,000 miles, had it not been for the fact that I regularly drove it into the surf in Galveston, Texas. The topside of the body was fine, but the damage caused by the salt water exposure to the underside of the frame, and, I suspect, the engine seals, contributed to my ultimate decision to replace the vehicle. Needless to say, my new PreRunner won't go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, so I'll probably be driving it well beyond 200,000 miles. I chose the PreRunner for three reasons: (1) I didn't need the four-wheel drive that much anymore. (2)I liked the power in the V-6 (my old truck had the 4-cylinder engine). (3) I don't like buying new vehicles every four or six years, so I wanted an absolutely bullet-proof truck that would still run like new well after the loan was paid off. As far as performance, I am a bit disappointed with the gas mileage, but it's a fair trade-off for the extra power. The truck is very comfortable, handles well in traffic, and has no problems merging onto a busy freeway. I have not been off road yet and I honestly don't intend to do the extreme things I did with my old 4x4. But I will eventually make it out to the Big Bend with this truck to see just how well that locking rear differential works. I'll let you know how it went.
  • I just love my new toyota tacoma single cab pre-runner. its just me and its a hoot to drive. i baby the thing so much its like my only child
  • I am interested in the Pre Runner with a V6 and a regular cab. I can't seem to find anyone who has one or even pricing with that configuration. Is it even available?? Any input is appreciated!
  • Here in Michigan a dealer told me the Pre Runner is not a big seller. However, I still feel I would like to buy one. I like being a little higher off the ground (safer)
    1. Do they handle like a 4x4? Is the the ride smooth?
    2. I am considering a PreRunner4Cy 150HP xtacab.
    3.How the gas mileage on the 4 vs 6. Im reading the comment on the 6 and a few have expressed the fact the mileage is not that great.
    All feed back appreciated.
    Thanks
    RonP
  • Do u have a 4 or 6. I have a 1990 6cy 148,000
    going strong. But thinking of the 4cy prerunner.
    How your mileage and whats it got on it. Would you mind sharing the price you paid with acces.
    Thanks
    east489@wwnet.net
  • I live in Maryland and was considering the prerunner. I was wondering how it tracks in the snow compared to the 4x4. Any thoughts?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    It's simple if you live where it snows then get the 4x4 model.Many times i have tried my tacoma in 2wd in the snow and it just doesn't cut it plus the 31 inch tires are so wide that it's that much worse.Put it in 4wd and it's a tank! I think the prerunner is a great idea but not for snowy conditions and i think the first snowstorm you would see my point.Oh and bombing around in a good
    storm while everyone else is stuck or at home is a
    good time.
  • I have read that most v6 tacoma owners complain about the gas mileage. I was wondering if the owners had manual or automatic transmission on thier trucks? I am thinking about buying a toyota S-runner (Tacoma Xtra cab v6 5speed/sport suspension and exhausted) And I am worried about the fuel efficiency.

Thanks for your help! happy Holidays!
  • toddztoddz Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2001 V6 PreRunner TRD and after 1500 miles i seem to get about 19 mpg mostly without the A/C on.
This discussion has been closed.