Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Engine Questions

Comments

• tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    Thank you for your advice. I am planning on having the belt done when my tax returns come in, which is pretty soon, I hope. Anyway I've asked around in my family and they have all said that they've never heard of it and say not to deal with it. Well anyway, it's good to hear about these things from somebody other than mechanics who are all in it for the money.

Once again thank you for you story so now I know more about what could go wrong with the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Get the belt done, and yes, DO deal with it. I'm about to get my third one. (180k miles is approaching quickly).

You could always decide to image

But I wouldn't...
    Oh I plan to deal with it soon. By the way I like your clever use of the old game show, which I've only ever seen in reruns.
    Thanks... I really liked that show!

...Big bucks, big bucks, no whammies! :)

I thought it got the point across quite well, if I do say so myself.

Best,

TheGrad
    As most people who have read this discussion know I have a 95 Accord EX. I was just told by the dealer, where I took it to have the timing belt replaced, that my sparks plugs are the incorrect plugs for the car. Could this be a contributing factor to the lower than average fuel economy of about 26 mpg? I've been getting just over 22 since I got it. I know it isn't a big difference, but when it comes to the pump it adds up. Is this bad for the engine or just a minor annoyance?

Thanks anybody for responses. I like this board because everybody seems to know what they are talking about.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Go to Advance, and get some NGK, or Denso plugs. Preferably NGK.
    Thank you for the advice. Could you tell me how it makes a difference? I don't want to be a pain. Does this really contribute to lower economy?

Again thanks for the response.
    Ok, this is how I see it. If you are going to spend the extra $$$ for a quality car (Accord) you should want to continue that quality. If you use sub-standard parts, you turn the car into a sub-standard car.
    Hello all-

This may sound dumb, but is there any real reason why one would use the manumatic shifting, meaning 1,2,D3,D4? Is that for greater control on ice and in slippery conditions?
  • tg1994tg1994 Posts: 8
    I've got 1000 miles on my new 2007 Accord and I've noticed there is significant engine noise especially at low speeds. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal or should I be concerned there might be a problem?
    You will get a better response on the 2007 Accord Maintenance and repair forum. What kind of noise is it? What engine do you have? If you have the 4cyl, you should be able to hear the engine, but it should not be loud, or something I would consider to be noise. If you have the V6, you should not even hear the engine, unless the accelerator is close to the floor, and nothing I would consider sounding like noise. Did you take it back to the dealer?
  • tg1994tg1994 Posts: 8
    I have the 4 cyl 2.4 liter. It's a whining noise. I've experienced the noise before on my Altima. It signaled the alternator going out. That is why I am concerned. It may be perfectly normal...I'm just not used to it. Thanks for the advice about the Maintenance and Repair forum. I'll post there as well.
  • loubieloubie Posts: 1
    It sounds like my 2007 Accord EX. The noise is noticeable when the engine is warm and idle. It sounds like a helicopter. I started to hear it after 600 miles. Now with 10,000 miles on it, it's much louder. The noise is not coming from the injectors. Honda knows about the noise, but they decided not to do anything about it, so they claim it's normal. The noise happens in some 4-cyl engines. It's easier to hear it if you put you ear close to the floor in the driver foot-area. I recommend that b4 12000 miles or a year from purchase, you take the car to the dealer and make sure they record the complaint in the work-order, even if they don't fix it. In that way you'll have a fighting chance with the lemmon-law, like I'm doing now.
  • 44k miles on my 2003 Accord. While I was out of town, wife noted s little oil in the garage....wiped up with 2 paper towels. Contacted Honda and checked oil level (fine) before driving to the Honda service shop 3 miles away. After 2 miles, she lost all power, no engine lights or other idiot lights lit.

Honda sez there was a catastrophic oil loss and filter was incorrectly installed and failed. Oil filter was buldged out at end, a sign of major oil pressure. Honda sez gasket was incorrectly installed by quick lube guys.

Quick lube guys (oil change 4k miles ago) say oil pump pressure relief valve stuck and that blew oil filter due to high pressure.

Any ideas on how I independently can confirm what happened???

Honda sez timing belt broken and crankshaft bent...engine is fried and will cost $7000 for rebuild...

Thanks, John
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 490
    I guess its a lesson learned. Get your oil changes and service done at your Honda dealer for $24.95. They would have acknowledged the error and paid 100% for the engine.

Now, at best you can try to get the "quick lube" shop to call their liability insurance company. $7000 is probably half to 75% the value of your car.
    I guess its a lesson learned. Get your oil changes and service done at your Honda dealer for $24.95. They would have acknowledged the error and paid 100% for the engine.

That would be logical if every dealer charged $24 for an oil change. Unfortunately my dealer recently changed hands, and prices for oil changes went from $23.95 to $38. Outrageous. I'll be going there for the length of my warranty, then I'll have it changed elsewhere. I'm already taking my old 1996 (174,750 miles) to Texaco/Jiffy Lube.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    44k miles on my 2003 Accord. While I was out of town, wife noted s little oil in the garage....wiped up with 2 paper towels. Contacted Honda and checked oil level (fine) before driving to the Honda service shop 3 miles away. After 2 miles, she lost all power, no engine lights or other idiot lights lit.

Honda sez there was a catastrophic oil loss and filter was incorrectly installed and failed. Oil filter was buldged out at end, a sign of major oil pressure. Honda sez gasket was incorrectly installed by quick lube guys.

Quick lube guys (oil change 4k miles ago) say oil pump pressure relief valve stuck and that blew oil filter due to high pressure.

Any ideas on how I independently can confirm what happened???

Honda sez timing belt broken and crankshaft bent...engine is fried and will cost $7000 for rebuild...

Thanks, John

I don't think your engine has a timing belt. If you have K-series engine, which I think was introduced on the 2002 CR-V/Element and was installed on the 2003 Accord, then you definatly have a timing chain.

Did you see the buldged out filter? I think, ultimatley, it is Honda vs the Jiffy lube. After seeing the hidden camera videos from Jiffy Lube, I would not doubt that Honda will win.

Let us know how it goes.
    Luckily, the dealer where I bought mine does free changes for life as long as you go in and do the 15,000 mile maintenance intervals. I'm willing to do it. I mean going in every 4,000 miles will help me to keep informed about what is going on with it. I expect that I will be asking them to check things out when I go in just to avoid having the same thing happen to me.

Sorry to hear about the original poster's misfortune.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Well it is suspicious to me that they are claiming that an oil change 4K miles ago, is the cause of this problem. You would think that if something was wrong with the change, it would show in the first month and 500 miles of the change.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you could prove or disprove anything at this point. Either way it's outside of the warranty period, correct....so Honda isn't on the hook to HAVE to pay for anything.

You might consider replacing the engine with one from a pre-owned wrecked vehicle (side or rear).