Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Engine Questions

Comments

• tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    Thank you very much. Now I kinda get it. I know it wasn't an important question, but I guess I'm just curious by nature and there are some things, even when mundane, that just nag at me and drive me nuts if I can't figure out an answer.

Since you said it sucks in air would that be why a 3.8 Litre V6 should be more powerful than my 2.4 Litre I4. And it's because of the fact that the 3.8 would 'suck' more air thus creating a greater fuel to air mixture and provide more propulsion. Is that essentially what's going on? Hopefully propulsion is the right word. :blush:

Sorry if my wording is confusing. Grammer has never been my strong suit.
  • I really do not know what is up with my 03' Accord V4. Whenever stopped at a traffic light, with my foot on the brake, the car keeps kicking as if it is struggling to stay in place. I put the car in park and as soon as the kicking stops the car goes below 500 RPM and the engine shuts off. I then have to turn the keys in the ignition again to start the car up. Once turned on, the kicking begins and it seems the engine is only not struggling when my foot is on the accelerator or it is in park in which case it turns off. WHAT IS GOING ON?!
  • This might be one of several things on the I-4. If the check engine light (CEL) is on have the vehicle serviced or if you are in a state where it is allowed, have an auto parts store read the code if you want to attempt a self-repair. If no CEL then take it to your mechanic or dealer.

This shouldn't be an engine issue, but rather an electronics or fuel issue. I'd bet on electronics. Good luck.
  • bk1977bk1977 Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Accord EX-L. I bought it new in September 2006. I now have close to 90K miles on it and am looking at a few services. My dealer tells me I need the timing belt replaced (amongst other fluid flushes) My "mechanic" tells me that his system shows the 4 Cyls as having a chain. Who is right? I know close to nothing on engines - looks like a belt to me when I popped the hood? :confuse:
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 815
    edited April 2010
    The 4 cyl Accords have used a chain since 2003. Just the 6 cyl Accords still use a timing belt.

Mrbill
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Even if your engine is a V6, you would still not see the timing belt under the hood. The belt you see is the serpentine/accessory belt. You would have to remove some covers to see the timing belt. Are you sure you have the 4 cylinder?
    My Dealer is jumping up and down saying that I have a belt (all 4 cyls since 2004 says them) I know for a fact I have a 4 cyl. It is a 2007 4door EX-L. 166hp, 2.4liter DOHC 16 Valve i-VTEC 4 cyl engine. Now I am not sure what to do...more advise please....
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    edited April 2010
    Dump this dealer.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    When you say "Dealer", do you mean the salesman or someone in the service dept? If a service person is telling you that you have a timing belt, I wonder what else they are screwing up. As already stated, the I4 has had a chain since 2003. That's a long time to be misinformed. :sick:

I'd talk to the service manager, especially if they are as adamant as you say. Do you have another Honda dealer close to you? Or a good independent shop maybe?
    It is the service dept telling me this. I like your idea of calling another dealer. I will do that. The independent shop is the one that alerted me to this whole thing. Even the owners manual says timing belt for V6 models! This has always been an all around great dealer - they may have lost a customer for life. Thanks for the help - I will keep you posted.
    Called Another Dealer - Belt. Called a 3rd dealer - Chain. I'm going with chain. Thanks for the help.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    2003-CURRENT 4-cylinder Accords have a timing chain; the dealer is wrong; I'd never go back.
    You might want to write a quick note to the service managers of the misinformed dealers telling them why you won't be back. If I had a business where my staff was THAT confused, I'd want to know so that I could correct it.

Replacing a timing belt is costly. I find it hard to believe that 2 out of 3 didn't know that you had a chain. Kind of makes you wonder what they would do if they tear things apart and find a chain. Would they still charge a customer? And how many times has that happened to others? :sick:
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    edited April 2010
    Hello bk1977
    I have a 2007 SE with a 4cylinder engine. Standing in front of the car and looking at my engine the first thing I see are four pipes going downward. On top of these pipes there is a black plastic cover. There is a sticker on this cover that reads "I-VTEC 2.4 DOHC SULEV" On the passengers side there is a serpintine belt 1 inch wide. This belt turns the power steering pump.alternator and a/c. This generation 4 cyl engine has a chain not a belt. I hope this info helps
    Corkscrew
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I don't care what your dealer says. You do not have a timing belt. I have an '05 Accord EX-L with the 2.4 four cylinder. It is the same generation as yours. It has a timing chain and so does yours. If you want a service advisor at my dealership in Tennessee to talk to, I can give you his number.
  • Does the 09/10 Accord V6 use a chain now or still use a belt ?
    The v6 uses a belt.
  • hndaacchndaacc Posts: 1
    I am putting a new engine in my 1992 Accord and was wondering if a 1992 Prelude VTEC engine will fit in it, if so is there anything extra I will need since i am putting a VTEC in it and there isnt a VTEC in it now.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,694
    Here's some GOOD IINFO on this particular swap.