Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L News, Views and Opinions

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I thought 42 was wierd too, but my friend the Ford Engineer, said that's what was being talked about industry wide. It may have changed by now, and it seems nobody is moving yet. I'm old enough to remember 1956 when most of the American Cars all went from 6 volt to 12 volt systems. It was fun jumping a 6 volt car with a 12 volt one....Man that starter moved fast, but you couldn't crank it for long, it would burn out quickly.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,255
    Nice job syswei! You definitely asked the most pertinent questions that a lot of us would like to have answers. I am glad you put some pressure on Lexus that the AWD option is a must on the new LS by the fall of 2007. I also find it incredulous that they are not releasing any info on the LS600HL trunk capacity at this point.
  • jd14jd14 Posts: 128
    I know there's got to be a place for future Lexus vehicles that I just can't find but can someone here help me out? I'm trying to find a place to talk about and find information on the new Lexus SUVs and the LS superior (L650? I can't remember the name) that are coming out soon. Thanks.
  • tricky73tricky73 Posts: 132
    I would like to see comments from 460 buyers who have owned 4XX series Lexi as to whether the new design is really such an improvement as Lexus (and some posters on this site) would have us believe. My situation involves having owned an '04 430, an '05 330, and currently driving an '06 430. My '06 has sport suspension and has been a flawless automobile from day 1. It has the average goodies (Levinson, Nav, Satellite radio etc.)

I made the mistake of driving an $85K 460L having air suspension and variable ratio steering and was impressed it is (perhaps) an even better car than I currently drive. But is it??? For example, how much quieter can the 460 be?

For years the 430 was at the top of everybodys' quality list, it was comfortable, etc. etc. But is the 460 (w/air suspension) $45-$50K better than what I am driving? This is where I would like feedback from drivers who have owned both models to help with my dilemma. I do not hotdog a car, so whether it achieves 0-60 in 5.? sec is not that important to me. Living in Southern California, AWD would probably be a total waste. As stated in an earlier post, I am not impressed the leg room in the back seat of the new model (even for the 460L) is that much of an improvement over the 430, and having to accept park-o-matic, Lexus link (I hated OnStar), and other unused features to get delivery may be a stretch, especially if I am disappointed with other attributes of the new design such as reliability, comfort, etc. One complaint I have with the 430 is cramped driver knee space near the door, and this apparently still exists with the 460.

However, there was something about the 460 which was very impressive for a short drive, and hope there is somebody out there, having owned/driven both models, can comment.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    is better on the 460, it's quieter, believe it or not, and the interior design is subtly altered for the better I believe. Little more attractive. I found the driving position to be identical to the 430, if my eyes were closed, I couldn't tell you which one I was sitting in.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Try to get your dealer to let you take the 460 overnight.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Pat,

That forum doesn't show up to the left under Browse By Vehicle/Lexus/Select Model....even though the IS-F and LF-A do.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you look just for Lexus without specifying a model it shows up.

Edmunds, not the Forums/CarSpace, controls what shows up in those drop downs. A future vehicle usually is closer to release when they add a category for it, at least that's what I have observed.

You could always use the keyword search, but that wouldn't have helped jd14 since he didn't remember the name.
    Which 460 did you get? What about the brakes? That was one factor that drove me from the 330 back to the 430; finest brakes I have ever used. At my age that is far more important than the accelerator!
  • jd14jd14 Posts: 128
    Thanks. It seems that nobody has much information on the new SUVs yet and nobody (except for a few people on the LS forums) has ever posted anything about the L600. Hmmm... maybe Lexus will unveil some of these at the coming Detroit Auto Show...
  • Do you live in the mountains or otherwise use curvey roads an apreciable amount of time. Here in LA, seems that luxury is more important than the few days a year we go off the freeway circut. I cannnot see any advantage to the touring package for freeway travel, only for curves at higher speeds than is usual.
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    Seattle, so daily urban/suburban driving but the mountains are close by. We are also blessed with many nearby more rural roads that can be fun to drive.

The Touring package, with the adjustable air suspension, 19" wheels/tires, larger brakes, etc. provides the flexiblity of going with the cushy, luxury ride but then opt for the more sport mode when the driving conditions and one's spirit warrant. My default setting is however sport/power for the custom settings and then go with the softer settings for speed bumps or for straight freeway driving. Touring is of benefit though in quick lane changes and the like and minimizes any body roll in such quick moves, which is why I leave it in sport mode by default.
  • "I would like to see comments from 460 buyers who have owned 4XX series Lexi as to whether the new design is really such an improvement as Lexus (and some posters on this site) would have us believe. . ."

That is exactly also what I would like to know. For example, on my last service they gave me an 07 ES350 loaner, and it had the push button start/stop, which I liked. I think I would also like the push button parking brake. But aren't there some other goodies that only a new owner would really appreciate? So far no answers. Maybe you should repost your question in the LS460 group.
    In a previous post I requested input from owners of the LS 460 series to compare it to a previous 4XX automobile they have owned/leased; I have seen no replies.

As stated earlier, I own an '06 LS 430 (~$65K MSRP) with the sport suspension. Asking around the Los Angeles area in a "what-if" manner, I would need to add an additional $45-$50K to trade up to a 460 with air suspension, hopefully one having the touring package. One dealer made a firm offer on a car with the touring package for a difference of $61K, and seemed disappointed I did not accept. However, to be fair, $8-$9K of the purchase price represent sales tax and license fees for which the dealer has no control.

My conclusion is that even with all of the gee-whiz features in the new design there is no rational which would indicate the 460 is that superior to its' predecessor for that price difference. Also, to respectively argue with Lexus marketing types, I feel the SWB model will NOT prove to be their big seller; I also wonder how long the executive package will be offered. An interesting dichodemy.

Those who are in a "must-have-one" frame-of-mind must be leasors rather than buyers, and only considering their lease payments increase a few hundred over what they are paying now. Loading the vehicle with Lexus Link (ugh!), radar cruise control, etc. makes the thought even less appealing.

Just some random thoughts from the geezer community...I would love to hear other thoughts about the economics of replacing a recent 430 model with a 460.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,767
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to you also Tricky73. Sorry, I do not own a new LS but your post made me very curious for more details.

You did not specify if you were looking at a long wheel base so I assume the "deal" you were offered was a SWB. Could you please share a few more of the details as this seems to be a very poor deal to me. For instance:

1. List price (no taxes plese) of the new LS.
    2. Actual trade-in value of the 06 being offered to you.

I would think that your car would still be worth around $50K. That would mean the new one is around $110K? This seems crazy high to me. Thanks for the details in advance.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

The 'deal' was for a LWB w/touring package, MSRP $82,407. By the time they showed the car the price had increased to $92K and change w/o tax, having added chromed wheels and LoJack. I can't imagine anybody trying to peddle LoJack if the car has Lexus Link, which this one had. I asked our police chief one time whether they could really track a stolen vehicle equipped w/LoJack, and his advice was "if your car is ever stolen, you really don't want it back"!

I was so annoyed after the bait-and-switch I did not bother driving the car. It did not have the upgrade (analine?) leather, and the interior appearance was no better than my '06. A personal choice, but I prefer the maple wood from '06 to the walnut being offered in 2007. My 430 has less than 2.8K miles with sport suspension, satellite radio, NAV, Levinson, and chromed wheels. There is not a blemish anyplace on the automobile. They generously offered $39K as a trade-in.

Had they said upfront they are putting a $10K premium on the MSRP because is is a scarce vehicle I could respect that explanation rather than the BS about chromed wheels costing $4k. I know this sounds nit-picky for a car in this price range but I do not like being played for a fool, which is the wrong strategy for Lexus dealers when trying to convince buyers interested in new 460 series.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,767
    OK, now I understand. Certainly you should have walked away from that deal. Not only that but I would find a new dealer if possible. Those guys need to be selling to someone not as savvy as Lexus buyers. Maybe they should open a Mercedes dealership! ;)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• Tricky73, could you name the dealer that you mentioned? They (Edmunds) let you name dealers, just not salesmen.
  • dan67dan67 Posts: 51
    I've drive the 2001 LS 430 which I bought new. Always thought I'd trade it in for this new model. But I have several problems:
    1. Dealers in SoCal have NO cars to test drive - the few they get are pre sold. I won't buy any car without a decent test drive. Big demand for these cars or intentional effort by Lexus keep prices up or both?
    2. My 2001 has 65K miles and I'll be darned but it drives and looks like a new car and never has had a problem. I love driving it. No one has ever complained about it's comfort or leg room.
    3. The new LS 460 size has grown in width, lower in height, much heavier, and it's tad longer in length. All in small increments but still negatives to me. I can't ever remember ever needing more speed than my 430 has.
    4. All the extra electronics really won't make driving more comfortable to me. Example: I need a self parking option like a hole in my head.
    Yet, price isn't an issue for me and I like new pretty fancy things ... but does it make any sense to jump to a 460 when I'm very happy with my "old" 430? My friends think I will jump but only based on satisfying my ego. Oh gee, life is full of these type issues and I wish I knew the right decision. HELP!! (BTW happy Xmas and New Year to all) :)