Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L News, Views and Opinions

Comments

• Go for it!

Numerous posts on this thread describe my experiences with a 460L...wind noise, trunk switch, windshield wiper activation, etc., etc. Note it had laminated glass all around which should lessen wind noise but it was still quite bothersome.

At my age I don't have that many opportunities remaining so I dumped it and replaced it with a 450h. I was convinced with all of the problems I was having that Lexus, nor anybody else, could fix it to my satisfaction. The smaller vehicle has equivalent or better comfort, luxury, and safety features.

Life is too short to spend time in the customer lounge waiting for them to tell you after 3 hours "sir, we apologize for your trouble, but everything seems to be within specification."
  • I read with great interest of the 'wind noise problem'.

I am getting ready to lease (3 yrs) a 2008 LS/460 (this will be the 11th Lexus in my family over the years). I've been an LS driver since 1990 and truthfully noise was never a problem. I've even had a client once ask me if my LS was electric! - it was so quiet

So, is there a problem with the 2008 models? (was the problem only with the 2007 models?)

-Thanks in advance
    David
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    My car is the quietest, best riding (and handling), most luxurious LS I've ever had and I've been driving them since 95. I've got no wind noise at all on a May 2007 delivered car. This car is a major upgrade over the 2004 car.
  • There are those satisfied with the (lack of) wind noise on the 460 and others who are not. It does a disservice to portray the design free from this phenomena; there are just too many reports from owners complaining about it. Fair to say that some have it while others do not. I am among those who had it, and perhaps carried it to extreme but the problem no longer exists for me.

I would expect previous owners of the 4XX series more apt to report problems than those have not owned one of this series. My experience with 430s' was exceptional and was disappointed the 460 did not live up to my expectations. However, Lexus should welcome these comments and try and improve the product as their Corporate slogan claims. I would like to see a post wherein a dissatisfied owner reports since Lexus could not fix the problem on their particular vehicle they bought the car back and performed tests to determine how it can be improved.

Do purchasers of a $70-$85K automobile deserve anything less?
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Has anyone heard any reliable info on when the LS460 will get an AWD option?
  • tricky73, did you see mitchellrowe's post on his testing and buying on the spot a new 2008 LS460? Maybe you should test a new one too to see if your prior experience was just a first-year glitch on Lexus' part.

I'm still happy with my 04 LS430 UL, but I keep reading all these enthusiastic posts about the 460 and may go back to test drive another one one of these days.
  • Thanks; I'll check it out.

Noting you drive a UL, I read on the latest Lexus post they intend offering air suspension as an option on the '08 SWB 460. That may be a possibility for me...it was this feature that interested me in January to buy the 460L which included it...not offered on the '07 SWB.

However, my 450h is a doozie...I especially like the PCS coupled with radar cruise...a helpful feature for geezers who sometimes drive LA freeways. This package will also be offered on the '08 SWB coupled with park-o-matic...ugh! Perhaps I can negotiate away the $700 option price if I get interested.

Final comment on PA...I received a call from a reviewer with the NY Times who is doing a special article to this feature...he was not too thrilled with it either and said so far couldn't much enthusiasm from other owners.
  • Couldn't find the post...can you be more specific?
  • It's in the "2008 Lexus LS 460/460L" topic, post #21.
  • tricky73tricky73 Posts: 132
    Thanks...I was unaware of this new forum
  • I have an '07 LS 460 purchased in January. I had brought this to the dealer's attention numerous times. FINALLY, they have acknowledged the problem and have ordered "replacement parts" to fix this. BTW, I am in Indianapolis.
  • For all its worth, I ended up getting the 2008 LS 460. I'm glad to report that at least in my car there is no appreciable wind noise (as described by others in this forum). The car is as quiet or quieter than any of the 5 other LS cars I've had since I started with the LS cars in 1991.

-David
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 305
    Did youi get any kind of reasonable discount from sticker?
  • I chose to lease. I got a great price (and money rate for lease) from Lexus of Rockville (Maryland).

-David
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 305
    Mind if I ask for details?
  • newrnewr Posts: 24
    Hi,

Jsut wondering, does anyone know what exactly is the premium floor mats? According to the lexus website.. there's this option which cost $255..my new one comes with it and I got it for the same price as those without this option...I was told by the dealer there's no difference.. but jsut wanted to make sure?
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Posts: 69
    Mine did not have the floor mats but I asked my sales person to throw them in the deal and she did. But we have also bought 5 Lexus's in the past 4 years from her.
    oh... so floor mats are not standard? On the sales sheet, it says carpeted floor mats on all the vehicle and premium floor mat was on mine for options.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Posts: 122
    "Carpeted Floor Mats" are standard. Look at the last line under Standard Equipment on your window sticker.
    yeah.. I know.. I am trying to figure out what's the difference between "carpeted floor mats" vs. "premium floor mats" which is an option for $255 on the LExus website and listed on the car I bought.

Does anyone know?