Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Tires

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    AWD Freestyles are for some reason very hard on tires

FWD Minivans have brake equalizing gizmos to shift some of the braking force to the rear wheels. They are still hard on front tires. I seem to remember people saying that the Freestyle has the same kind of gizmo - may be something to check to make sure it's working.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• asa203asa203 Posts: 10
    I too have found that the Continental Touring tires only get about 30K before needing replacement. The performance has been good, even in the snow, but that it what I expect from AWD. I am now in the market for some new treads.

Anthony
  • kpevavkpevav Posts: 41
    Has anyone tried the Cooper CS4 Touring tires? They have the correct size for the Freestyle and have worked well for our Subaru Forester. I am considering them as replacements for the Continentals that need replacement at 31,000 miles.
  • Just bought Goodyear assurance triple treads. Best tires I've ever had!! And had a good deal on them ,too.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    How do you compare them with the originals in terms of ride and quiet? Thanks.
  • hbranschhbransch Posts: 8
    I have 100k mi on my 2006 Freestyle SEL. FIrst set of Conti's went 33k before the noise got too bad from cupping. Second set (with factory rims off ebay) went about 32k, again from cupping and noise. Still had 5k mi of life on both sets.

Went with Goodyear Triple Treads. Loved them at the start. Snowstorm last winter, with 18-20" of snow, no problem in 4 to 6" of infrequently plowed road, amazing in wet, and reasonably quiet, with a stiffer sidewall (and turning) than Conti's. Now, after 30k, lots of tread (much more than Conti's), but the dang cupping and constant road hum is back. Worse after a rotation.

All the tires were rotated, inflated and aligned to spec. The triple treads were rotated every oil change.

Tire guy says the shocks and struts are 'weak' and need to be replaced to the tune of $1k. HELP. This can;t be so. How did the original set cup so much?

Any thoughts about this. Is it me or this vehicle?

Have pictures of originals with cupped tread block if interested.
    =H
    Is your Ford awd or fwd? Awd has the load-compensating shocks. in any case, after 100 k miles, it is not at all unreasonable to need new struts and shocks.
  • alramalram Posts: 1
    Hi,

I want to change the tires of my Ford Freestyle 06 moving from the
    ones that came with the car to a 225/65R/ 98H B. I prefer wider tires. Is it going to have a negative effect on the car's performance? Is it safe? Any comments?

Thanks

Al
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    225/65-17 is fine. It closely matches the 225/60-18 in the Limited Freestyles. It only increases ride height over the 215 by about 1/4 inch, and the width is only an extra 1/5 inch bulge on the sides. Not a problem. I doubt if the handling is affected much.
    As already stated, the size (225/65/17) is not a problem. I have heard from people who have done this. The real question is what brand? At first I was going to go with the Yokohama k520, but some say it is too firm. Any other good ideas out there? I think Freestyle owners would not be happy with an SUV type tire since they tend to be more aggressive = noisier and stiffer.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    For areas with a chance of ice/snow, the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred 225/65-17 has the distinction of having a Snowflake-on-the-Mountain severe snow service rating in a good HR summer tire. That combination is very hard to find. Goodyear is very proud of that severe snow/ice rating in a year-around tire that can spin at 130 mph!

For warm climates, I'd recomend the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in 225/65-17 due to its 600AA rating in an HR tire, and Bridgestone has a good reputation.
  • I have 38000 miles on the original Continental tires that must be replaced before winter. I live in upstate NY and need reasonably good winter performance.

Has anyone tried Hankook Optimo H727 tires? They have a 98T 700AB rating and low price from Pepboys. I haven't been able to find any winter reports on this tire. I am leaning toward Yokohama Avid TRZ as they have almost as good winter rating as the Goodyear TripleTred and better than Michelin HydroEdge at TireRack and are less expensive than both.

Has anyone experienced any change in gas mileage after switching to the wider 225/65R17 tires?
  • One thing I've learned is tires isn't a place to try and save a few bucks. For one, they are the most important safety device on your vehicle, and two I've learned through trial and error that a few bucks saved on the purchase price doesn't usually equate to long term savings. Here's why:

Not having been satisfied with the 30,000 miles I got out of the original Continentals I tried to go the mid-range route on my Freestyle with a set of Yokohama YK520s a couple of years ago, which were more expensive than the Contis but $25 per tire less than the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads I really wanted. The Yokos disappointed. They wore very quickly, rode harshly, and got noisy as they aged. They were 60,000 mile rated tires but once again after 30,000 miles they were shot.

This time I paid the extra and got the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. I know these will be great tires because I've been running them on my Saab station wagon and with over 40,000 miles they still have more than half their tread left. They are rated for 80,000 miles so even if they wear faster on the Freestyle than on my Saab they will still last longer than the previous sets ultimately saving money. Lastly, they have a winter oriented all-season tread that does great in ice/snow. I can attest to this. Since you live in upstate New York where I know it snows a lot, I'd definitely go with the Triple Treads. They will not disappoint.
  • Thanks for your advice about the Tripletreads. Have you had any problems keeping them balanced? I have read several postings where people loved the tires except they could not keep them balanced.
  • While I can't comment on how the Triple Treads have stayed balanced on my Freestyle because they were only installed a couple of weeks ago, I can say that after 40,000 miles on my other car they're just fine. I've never had to re-balance them and the car still drives smoothly.

I suspect that any tire that lasts a long time is going to be more likely to develop some irregularity in balance simply because they've been around a lot longer than a lesser tire that has already worn out and been replaced. Just a thought. Also, to help a tire last a long time and remain round it does need to be rotated regularly, which I suspect most people don't do.

- Chad
  • I am thinking of the Hydroedge by michelin. Or the good year tripple treads. Give me some feed back if any one has more experience with these tires.
  • The 225/65-17 Goodyear Fortera Triple-Treds have amazingly good reviews on Tirerack - click here. After reading some of the reviews, I've got to think this one is a winner. Note the 225/65-17 is the tougher version of the Triple-Tred, not the passenger tire 215/65-17, although I don't know what all the difference would be. Note the 225/65-17 size Fortera Triple Tred has a "snowflake-on-the-mountain" symbol on the sidewall, meaning it performs about as well as a good snow tire, although its an all-season tire. Not bad.
  • In my opinion the Fortera Triple Treads are the wrong tire for a Freestyle.

The Forteras are truck tires, meaning they are designed for higher loads and light off-road duty, where as the Assurance tires are passenger vehicle tires designed for mostly paved road use. While it might sound appealing to have the truck tires just in case, they come at the cost of a thicker and heavier tire carcass that the Freestyles suspension was not designed for. Ride quality would likely suffer and the shocks likely wouldn't be up to dealing with the extra unsprung mass. At the very least you'd likely get lower gas mileage as a truck tire is going to have higher rolling resistance.

- Chad
  • I see what you're saying about the mass issue:
    According to tirerack.com,

215/65-17:
    All are car tires in this size, and have a 1650 or 1700 lb load rating:
    Original Equipment Continentals:26 lbs
    Continental ContiProContacts: 23 lbs
    Bridgestone Turanza Serenity: 30 lbs
    Goodyear Assurance TripleTred: 30 lbs
    Michelin HydroEdge: 27 lbs

bigger 225/65-17 (adds 1/4 inch to ride height):
    Every tire listed in this size has an 1800 lb load rating:
    Continental 4x4 Contact: 27 lbs (truck)
    Michelin Energy LX4: 28 lbs (car tire)
    Michelin CrossTerrain SUV: 29 lbs (truck)
    Goodyear Integrity: 27 lbs (car tire)
    Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza: 32 lbs (truck)
    Goodyear Fortera TripleTred: 32 lbs (truck)
  • Note the smaller Assurance TripleTreds are within 2 lbs (about 8%) of the bigger Fortera TripleTreds. That doesn't seem like enough to worry about.

If mass is an issue, the real choice seems to be the ContiProContacts in the smaller 215 size, which are a light 23 lbs each. Lighter tires do improve the ride though the reduction in unsprung mass.

Note that some of the truck tires in the larger 225 size are actually lighter than some of the passenger tires in the smaller 215 size!

I doubt if there would be much difference in rolling resistance getting the Forteras over the Assurance tripletreds.
  • Anyone have some experience with the Toyo Versado or Dunlop Sport for the Freestyle AWD? I am in New England so we get the full mix of weather. My Pirelli P6 are fully worn out at 36k miles. Not sure if another tire would be a step up or just the same. My priorities are safe in wet weather, wear well, good mileage. Then low noise followed by snow. We are on the coast so snow is not that major. Not looking for brand names but these tires were recommended by Town Fair Tire Store.

Thanks.
  • style13,
    For those conditions, I'd get the BF Goodrich Traction T/A, as they got a "AA" traction rating (temperature was "A"). Two A's for traction aren't that common, and it means they are very grippy. Reference tire rack's web page -- click here
  • Getting back to the issue of weights of a tire+wheel, I was wondering what the best and worse case would be. How much variation is possible?

(for 215/65-17 original size)
    Lightest: OZ Ultraleggera wheel with ContiProContacts would be 40 lbs total.
    Heaviest: Sport Edition TK1 wheel with Goodyear Assurance Tripletred would be 60 lbs!
    Stock: I think is about 53 lbs

The variation is substantial. The lighter the wheel/tire, the smoother the ride, through less unsprung mass. There is a 20 lb per tire/wheel spread in possibilites. Makes you think.

I know this is the kind of thing that racers pay attention to, but there are ride quality consequences for we Freestyle owners. Thinking of the physics of this, it would mean a more massive tire/wheel would not stick to a bumpy/wavy road as well, meaning you could lose traction sooner. Also, braking/acceleration would be worse in the highest mass case.
  • Anyone had better luck with these tires? I bought 4, 205 60R16 Goodyear assurance tripple treads for my Hyundai XG 350 2 years ago.They were great the first winter even ok the second winter but now after only 32K miles they are worn to 3/32 and hydroplane and slip like crazy. And they are "LOUD" lots of road noise. They were rotated every 5-6ooo miles and no allignment problems Goodyear won't do anything till they are at 2/32 but I cannot keep em on the car another winter.Thanks Goodyear for your 80K mile warranty! :(
  • Just got some new Freestyle tires: 225/65-17 sized Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow.

Highly recommended. TR speed rated, so they are tough enough to withstand 118 mph sustained speeds. I'm going to leave them on year around, even though they are snow/ice rated. Recommended for any northern state & Canada. The 225 width fits better than the 215 stock tires.

There has been a class action lawsuit on tires similar to the 215/65-17 Continental ContiTouring tires original equipment on Freestyles. The same tire with the anti-puncture (ContiSeal) version was the subject of the lawsuit for fast tread wear. Those were fast wearing tires for most people!
  • Anyone have PERSONAL experience with THIS PARTICULAR tire? (Please don't tell me about your brother-in-laws experience with the old 721's or the problems with the Explorers with underinflated tires.) I have had this recommended as a good tire by a few different dealers for my wifes 07 fwd Freestyle. Best price is about $100-105each depending on size. I am leaning toward the 225/60/17. The original Continentals are close to the wear bars with about 25K on them and have been OK until we got some snow. The ABS helps with stopping but any gas from a dead stop and there is an amazing lack of traction. My wife only drives about 8-10K per year so I cannot justify $140-$160 for tires that are supposed to last 80K. I just want some better tires than the Continentals(quieter and better snow traction) and don't mind getting a new set every 3 to 4 years.
    Thanks,
    freestylephil
  • I am gettting the 215/65/17 Firestone FR710's tonight. It is supposed to snow on Sunday, so I will report back on what I think about the tires. All four with lifetime(60k) balance/rotaion/flat repair is just under $500.

freestylephil
  • Don't get the 225/60-17 size. Its too small. Diameter is less than stock. Get the 225/65-17 instead. Or, of course, the stock 215/65-17 isn't bad either.
  • We got about 5" of snow, temp is about 3degF. Traction is very good starting,stopping and turning. I will report later after we get some of the real icy stuff. After a couple of minutes of driving I really wasn't even thinking about the snow. Even with only fwd, the Freestyle and Firestones felt very controlled and I am sure even my wife will drive with confidence in the snow.

freestylephil
  • Hi folks, I am the newest Freestyle owner on the board! Have a Five Hundred as well.
    I have the stock tires which I knew would be OK at best and they looking like they might need to be replaced fairly soon. I am looking at buying new tires sooner rather than later.

I have seen some posts for the Firestone FR710s, and haven't found any ratings for them. Are they new? Are they OK on Ice? My Cooper CS4's were decent on my old car, but were not good on ice. I am also considering the TripleTreads and maybe the Yoko TRZ's as well.

I live in Wisconsin, and we get alot of snow/nasty weather.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.