Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS random misfire

Comments

• I have my 2002 LS vs in shop now and my valve cover gasket is bad on drivers side. They told me not to use the FELPRO on this car to use the FORD gasket. My mechanic said that he uses FELPRO 90% of the time but in this case to use FORD.
  • i have a 2001 ls v8 i am looking foe the FELPRO v cover gasket but cant find them any help will be fine thanks :(
  • I need some help with my 2000 LS V8 3.9L. I never had a big problem with my car yet luckly!(only thing was replacing the coils), until now. My car now has 95,000 miles on it and my engine is acting up. It has a rough idle and when accelerating it goes up and down while speeding up. I had a code of P0171 (bank 1). I found oil in my spark plug well driver side. I replace valve cover gasket and replaced all spark plugs and coils (No more leaks). Problem still occurs with the idle and hesitations on acceleration. I cleaned out my MAS and still has the same problem. I have a new EGR valve but did not replace it yet. If the new EGR valve doesnt work..then I am stumped on what it could be. Again this is the first real problem that I have faced with my LS so far. If there is anyone out there that might know what can be the problem I would greatly appreciate your feedback.
  • did you replace the seals at the top and bottom of your spark plug tube? oil can leak into the tube and cause a oil to ground short. sounds like a lean miss (lack of enough fuel in the cylinder) if plugs are shorting and not firing the computer can read this as that. check all plugs for oil on bank 1 side.
  • I HAVE A 2001 LS, AND I JUST TODAY HAD TO GET THE 2ND COIL REPLACED, AND NOW HE IS SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT ME NEEDING SOMETHING CALLED A VALVE COVER GASKET, WHATS UP WITH THAT AND WHAT'S THE PRICE. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. :sick:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,674
    Calm down - no need to shout!

The valve cover gasket is leaking oil which gets into the spark plug wells and that contributes to the COP failures (but isn't necessarily the primary cause). It does need to be replaced and yes, it's common but once repaired should not happen again. I'd have all the coils replaced while they're in there.
  • I am having a problem of what I thought was random misfiring. I had the cop's replaced with a complete tune up (154000mi). I still had the problem when I left the dealership. I took it back and they found that the fuel pump could not produce enough pressure at the higher RPM's. The cost to repair is $640.00. The car runs great unless I kick it into a lower gear and accelerate. So, I decided not to repair. I am going to replace the car in April. Probably with another LS.
  • I replaced the coils and the spark plugs and valve covers but it's still misfiring. What should I do? I put autolite spark plugs in it instead of motorcraft will that make a difference.
  • martin57martin57 Posts: 4
    MY 02, 3.0 SIX CYLINDER, LINCOLN LS, HAD A RARE RANDOM MISFIRE, FOUND OIL ON LEFT AND RIGHT REAR PLUGS CAUSING A SHORT, I ORDERED NEW VALVE COVER GASKETS FROM AUTO ZONE, WILL THESE WORK OR SHOULD I RETURN THEM AND GET FELPRO GASKETS? I ALSO HAVE NEW NGK PLUGS IM INSTALLING, WILL THESE WORK OR SHOULD I PUT IN MOTOR CRAFT, IM ALSO INSTALLING ALL NEW COILS, I DONT WANT THE PROBLEM TO HAPPEN AGAIN.

ONLY OTHER PROBLEM WITH CAR IS SOMETIMES MY STEERING MAKES A HUM OR SQUEAKING NOISE WHEN STEERING AT LOW SPEEDS OR JUST TURNING THE WHEEL, I PUT IT ON MY CAR LIFT TO TRY TO FIND THE PROBLEM BUT IT NEVER DOES IT WHEN ITS IN THE AIR, IT DONT DO IT ALL THE TIME, JUST WHEN MY GIRL FRIEND IS WITH ME IT SEEMS LIKE! I THINK IT DOES IT ON REAL COLD DAYS WORSE THAN WARMER DAYS, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATE..
    Replacing the valve cover gaskets, COPS and plugs should fix it. I'd stick with the OEM plugs, not sure about the gaskets.

The steering noise sounds like the power steering pump. Check the fluid level and if it's low look for leaks around the hoses.
    OK, THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!

ON THE STEERING PROBLEM, THE FLUID LEVEL IS RIGHT ON THE MARK, IT HAS NEVER GONE DOWN OR BEEN ADDED TO THAT I KNOW OF, I DID RECALL THAT IT DOES IT ON DAMP OR RAINY DAYS MAINLY, WHEN ITS DRY OR SUNNY OUT, IT DONT DO IT, I DIDN'T REALLY WANT TO TAKE THE CAR TO A DEALER, I ALWAYS SEEM TO GET BURNT BY THEM, I GOT A NICE SHOP WITH A LIFT BUT IT NEVER DOES THE PROBLEM ON THE LIFT OR WHEN IM READY TO CHECK IT OUT, COULD IT BE A BALL JOINT OR TIE ROD ETC, IM HOPPING ITS NOT THE PUMP! HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND KNOW WHAT IT WAS, ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH OUT SHOWING YOU THE CAR OF COURSE.. BUT MAYBE NOT... IM JUST TRY TO SAVE A LITTLE MONEY I GUESS..

BY THE WAY, I CAN ONLY GET 19-21.5 MPG HIGHWAY OUT OF THE LS, IS THIS NORM OR DO YA THINK THERE COULD BE A PROBLEM. IT GOT THE 6 CYLINDER IN IT, WHEN PURCHASED, DEALER SAID IT WOULD GET 26MPG HIGHWAY NO PROBLEM. THANKS AGAIN.
    I used to get 26 in my V8 LS. Make sure you reset the mpg calculation after you get up to highway speed if you want to check it.
    WOW, I WAS NEVER GOING BY THE CALCULATOR, ID CHECK IT WHEN I WENT ON A TRIP BY FILLING UP AND THEN CALCULATE BY HOW MANY MILES I WENT.

BY THE WAY, THOSE AUTO ZONE GASKETS WERE THE FELPRO BRAND, I COULD HARDLY BELIEVE IT, I WAS JUST EXPECTING SOME CHEAP OLD GASKETS, THESE LOOK REALLY GOOD, THANKS AGAIN.
  • dsaperndsapern Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Lincoln LS that I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets. I've replaced the passenger side already, but I need to see if I need to take loosen the wiring harness to help clear the back of the valve cover. If I do need to loosen the wiring harness do I need to take the wiper mechanism out? Also do I need to take the oil dipstick tube out in order to remove the valve cover? If so what else besides taking the nut off (on the stud of the valve cover) do I do in order to get the tube out?
  • Hello,
    I have a 2000 ls and at idle it has an occasional miss, It runs great, but if I keep it in park and rev to 3000 rpm it totally misses, BAD. it drive fine on the road, and never notice it on the freeway.
    What could this be?
    Thanks
    Tony
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Tony, your LS is designed to miss at 3000 RPM in park or neutral. That is prevent hooligans from revving the engine sky high and dropping into gear.

As for the intermittent miss at idle, my guess is that you have a coil going bad. If so, it will get worse. Your dealer can do a stress test on the coils and determine it that is the problem. Another problem could be a dirty injector.

Best to you!
  • bruce,
    thank you for the insight. I am looking to my this used and I noticed the very slight miss on the test drive, so I pulled over and revd the engive only to notice the bigger miss. I just dont' want to buy something that is going to be a lemon, it has 82,000 miles and is in great condition along with service at the dealership religiously, When I asked the sales person, he just looked at me like I was crazy. Is there anything that you would suggest to really take notice of?
    Thank You,
    Tony
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    If you noticed an occasional misfire during the test drive and you have not bought the car yet, I strongly suggest you insist that they fix it before you buy. The coils on these cars are notorious for failing. It is a coil on plug system so you have 8 of them, assuming it is the V8. You would be looking at around $1,000 if you paid a dealer to replace all of them.

It may be something simpler but why buy a car and then have to begin diagnosing a problem? The salesman probably wouldn't know a misfire from a can of beans. If you can get the service manager to confirm the miss, you could make an offer subject to it being corrected. A good dealer doesn't want to sell you a car with a problem.
  • Bruce,
    Thank you for the valuable advice.
    Tony
  • jay456jay456 Posts: 3
    i have a 2000 ls v8 i have a misfire i scanned it and it said misfire #4 and 7 i replace the coils and plugs and still said same i swapped it with known good ones from another cylinder and said the same i have no oil in the cylinders i tested to see if they fire and they do, checked injector with a injector teter and they work as well, it hesitates at ilde and it driving me crazy, is it possible i have a bad computer??? ive tried everything what else could it be. :confuse:
    Are you sure you counted the cylinders correctly? Maybe you replaced the wrong ones. If not then it could be the fuel pump.
    yes...wait... :confuse: i think so pasenger side from front of vehicle to rear 1-4 driver side from front of vehicle to rear 5-8 that should be correct. some of these messages say its not the fuel pump i think ill check pressure at the rail next just to make sure. have you ever heard of the PCV tubing i mean could that actually cause misfiring to happen. :confuse:
    I think that's right. Here is what I found:

Back (Fire Wall)
    4 8
    3 7
    2 6
    1 5
    Front (Radiator)

I've heard some references to the PCV valve with misfire symptoms - certainly won't hurt.
  • learpilotlearpilot Posts: 1
    I have a random misfire. I got the code of PO 357 Ign Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction. Which coil is "G". Is that number 7 , second from the firewall drivers side ?
    Thanks for your reply, Rick
  • pman9pman9 Posts: 5
    Just signed up so I may be late on your help. I know the problem well. Some times if you slide the connector off of the ignition coil that is in question you'll find the rubber seal pushed back. This will create a loose connection and condensation can get trapped and last but not least it will throw out a code and bad idle. From experience, don't replace a coil until you check the connection.
    try to get to it this weekend, how do i go about fixing it if this is the problem
  • pman9pman9 Posts: 5
    Be careful cause they can be very fragile after a few yrs. Check the connector that hooks to the coil. You should be able to push the plastic down with your thumb nail and slide it off. When you get this off there should be a colored (gasket)
    o-ring inthe connector itself. Make sure it hasn't slid back. Use electric cleaner and spray into it but lightly. Let them all dry and hook them back up.
    Make sure you diconnect your battery before you start. so that it will rescan the code.
    Good luck
  • How about this, guys? I know little about cars - just what guys at work talk about. My 2000 LS (V8) started off by not accelerating when getting on the highway, had the "computer" reprogrammed 2 or 3 times. The guys at work suggestedthe MAF sensor could be going, but I didn't mention it to the dealer, I figured it was their job to tell me the problem. It was ok a few months, then noticed a drag when accelerating from 40 to 45+ - basically at 42 mph regardless. Since I didn't really drive on the highway anymore, I decided to delay any further diagnostic until $ came in. Finally, the car stalled 2 mos ago at 43mph, and started after about 10 cranks with CEL. Dealer said 8th cyl misfire $450, brother-in-law (certified shop) said $350, so he fixed it. CEL again, shop changed fuel&air filters, & oil. Light comes back (lean exhaust codes) , dealer took air filter out, put theirs in, CEL driving off the lot. Took it in again today, now they say $1300, new MAF sensor and remaining 7 coils shot. No answer as to why those 7 were fine 2 mos ago! Any suggestions?
  • jetstangjetstang Posts: 16
    You can buy the COPS on ebay for about $20 each, factory motorcraft pieces, not rip offs. I had a cop miss, and just replaced them all as I had a valve cover leak, after living with a miss for a month. I don't know how your coils could all go bad at the same time, but it probably needs them. You can replace the cops and plugs yourself with some basic hand tools and a little patience and save a ton of money. After that, have it rescanned if needed, then see about the rest of the repairs.
  • HI, I GOT A 02 LINCOLN LS WITH THE 6 CYLINDER ENGINE, ABOUT 2 MONTH AGO IT STARTED MAKING A HUMMING OR WHINNING NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR SOME WHERE, IT ONLY DOES IT WHEN YOUR GOING A STEADY SPEED OR HAVE THE CRUISE SET, AS SOON AS YOU LET OFF ON THE GAS, STEP ON THE GAS, OR GO UP A STEP HILL IT GOES AWAY, IT STARTED ABOUT 4,000 MILES AGO AND ITS GETTING LOUDER THE MORE I DRIVE IT, ANY IDEAS WHAT IT MIGHT BE? MY DRIVE SHAFT AND WHEEL BEARINGS ALL FELT TIGHT OR DIDN'T HAVE ANY PLAY IN THEM THAT I COULD TELL. THANKS..