Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS random misfire

Comments

• I just dropped one in from Autozone - $45
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    You can get them cheap on EBAY but most are made in China and I'm not sure about the quality. I bought mine from a Ford dealer online and paid around $60 each.
  • I had been having similar problems with my 2000 LS...I had replaced several coil packs over the last couple of years...this seemed to solve the problem for a while then the car started idling very rough...i figured it was another coil problem...the dealer had the car for several weeks trying to diagnose the problem...with no luck. I finally took it home and drove it as is for almost a year...a loud knock started after a few months. not so loud at first then became worrisome. A mechanic friend of mine listened to it and told me he thought the engine was shot. But, i gave the dealership another go and let them keep it for a while longer...after several more weeks of diagnosing they came to the conclusion that the timing belt tensioner was loose making the knocking sound in the engine and also throwing the car slightly out of time (hence the misfiring)...this turned out to be a $700 fix, but it's running beautifully again. Now if i can figure out why it overheated the other day...(This car is driving me nuts, but i love it and can't let it go)
    The cooling system on these cars needs to be bled if it has been drained and refilled. Maybe the dealer drained it when they worked on it and didn't bleed it correctly?
  • charles101charles101 Posts: 1
    Its easy to change the 3rd cylinder, because its on the passenger side and that side is easy to get to. You will need 7mm wrench and socket 1/4 drive, 10mm socket and wrench, gaskets set complete, spark plug, for cylinder 3. I highly recommend changing all coil packs, my old saying is did it done and gone! Wish you the best
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Surely mookie3 has already had that fixed in the 4 years since he posted it......
  • lincman1lincman1 Posts: 1
    The steering snatches or feels like there is a notch in the first few degrees of wheel movement. Worse to the LHS. Research indicates it is the steering wheel posn sensor at fault. Where is the posn sensor located? Any tips on how to replace it? Thanks.
  • garthmangarthman Posts: 42
    My best guess is, since you have no errors showing up, it's not missing any charge at the coils so, likely it's the spark plugs well(s) collecting oil. This is very common, the valve cover gasket set includes 4 round spark plug gaskets which fail in time. As they fail, oil seeps into the spark plug cavity and continues to collect oil until there's just enough to ground out the ignition spark from the coil spring/boot to the spark plug tip.

Many folks just replace all the coils then later find out they performed a completely wasted repair. While you are in the valve galley, I recommend you check out the secondary timing chain tensioner as they are prone to early failure and are basically right there in front of you once you spend the time to get the valve covers off. This is on 3.9 V-8's. If you have a V-6, forget the above as they don't usually have this oil seepage and chain issue.
  • garthmangarthman Posts: 42
    Talk to the service manager, 95% of the labor to get to coils is removing the valve covers. Once you do, the coils are less than 1 minute to R&R.
  • jen0jen0 Posts: 10
    Hello - I have a 2002 LS (V8) These cars are know for electrical problems. I have had the car for five years and I just hit 209,000 miles. Half of my electronics don't work anymore, for example my drivers side heated seat, the controls in my steering wheel, i.e. crusie control, radio volume, etc. I jsut replaced my windshield wiper motor went- that was a real joy to fix. My newest problem is that my heat isn't working very good. When I start my car in the morning to warm up it doesn't blow warm air. It has gotten worse over the past month - actually after I had my windshield wiper motor replaced it got worse. They had to take off my radiator fluid overflow to get to the windshield wiper motor so I wondering if they did something to it. Before it would blow somewhat warm air but now it's cool. When I start to drive it warms up a bit but not much. Before it heated up alot more. I don't know what's up. I think it may be a air pocket somewhere in the line. Anyone have any suggestions how to get the air out? without bringing to a mechanic?? I live in New England and I need heat!!
  • jen0jen0 Posts: 10
    Coils - oh yeah I had a [non-permissible content removed] of a time with "cylinder misfires" I have replaced 5 of the 8 coils. (at a $100.00 a wack)
  • deleonjdeleonj Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Lincoln LS V8 a month ago I changed out all 8 Coils and Spark Plugs with brand new motorcraft coils and plugs. A week later the check engine light came on (And was Blinking), immediatly after, car starting sputtering and stalling something awful. So I take the car to Autozone too get a reading on the system for the check engine light I got Code scan: P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected & P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold. My Question is...Can I fix these problems at my owner level or do I have to take it or should I take it to a mechanic for them to fix?? Any help would be appreciated.
  • If it's the coil packs, they should be covered by a Lincoln extended warranty on this particular part. I've had 7 out of my 8 replaced (a couple more than once), all under warranty. In most of the cases, there was misfiring and sometimes the check engine light would come on, but not all. There has been a TSB issued for this issue which is why Lincoln extended the warranty for this issue to 100,000 miles.
    A lot of times if you're running with a bad coil the unburned fuel will damage the catalytic converter, that could be the catalyst code. Don't know why you'd still have a misfire, though.
  • I need help......i just changed the valve covers gasket and when all was done I fired the car and started right away, the problem is when I give gas almost to the maximum, the car is like it is misfiring or coughing but the "check engine light" did not come-out.

What could be the problem? where should I look to start? what can I do?
  • rlc11rlc11 Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 2004 LS. When driving it feels like the gas is not flowing properly and it misses. At times I smell gas when that happens. It is worse when you turn a corner and then accelerate. The engine light comes on periodically. I had it serviced when the engine light first came on and they changed the plugs. Now the gas smell has started, it is missing, and the engine light is still coming on. I am seeing a lot of coil issues on the forum, could it be related to that?
    Sounds like it may be the coils
  • angelica6angelica6 Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    While driving my car, the engine light and wrench light illuminated and then my car powered down to about 20 to 35 mph. I pulled over and turned off my car, then the wrench disappeared and my car was able to accelerate at higher speeds. My dad checked under my car because I noticed oil leaks on my garage floor. The engine oil filter was just about to fall off because the bolt was very loose. Three weeks ago I had my engine oil changed at the dealership I frequent for oil changes since I bought my car there almost 10 years ago. Could the engine oil have leaked on the valve cover gaskets, coils, and spark plugs that you talk about? My dad noticed engine oil on the alternator and in other places and just wiped the oil off. I called the dealership when my dad noticed the oil filter was very loose ready to fall off. He has an Actron which output the following: P2107 Tac Module Processor, P2110 Tac System Forced Limited RPM, PO356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction, and PO303 Cylinder 3 misfired detected. The Actron indicated that the following were OK: Misfire monitor, fuel system moC Refrig Monitor, Oxygen Sensor, and EGR System Monitor. Also noticed the rubber on the right back wheel well inside the car in front of the gas tank where the gas cap is is like blown off and black soot is on the inside metal along the rubber where the door closes at this wheel well. Did this occur from the misfire? I often would smell something burning. Do you think the problem stemmed from the engine oil leaking out onto whatever else is near the engine? Do you have any suggestions?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The oil filter doesn't have a bolt so not sure what you meant by that.

One incident like that would not be enough to cause coil failures. I would clean it up and make sure no new leaks are occurring and see if you continue to have problems.

The TAC errors listed indicate a problem with the throttle by wire system which may or may not be related to the oil and misfire problems.
  • I have a 2003 Lincoln LS V8. It has 122,000 miles. My engine was misfiring and I have had this problem before (coils) and had the diagnostics run and it showed cylinder #3 coil. I changed that coil and it helped a little but still had misfires. I went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs. It ran really smooth for a day and after that it started to misfire again, worse than ever. Could this issue be fuel injectors? What else could it be?