Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Interior - comments problems questions

Comments

• missvicmissvic Member Posts: 6
    hope this comes out right first time posting a msg. I live in Canada and one of our dealers brough a 2007 outlander up from USA. Right now i drive a 2003 mustang GT with leather and full load. I test drove the Mitsu and loved the look feel and power it had. The leather to me was of good quality ( better than the 03 mustang ) I thought the interior was better than the rav4, santafe, cx7, tribute and crv. I ordered first run for feb 2007. full load even has heated mirrors. 3 rd row seats not very usefull but will work in a pinch.
  • lott42_sflott42_sf Member Posts: 5
    I was reading the brochure and it looks like the utility bars in the cargo area are only available in the XLS trim. Is this true?? and and has anybody tried to haul a bike "up-right" using the bars?? How do you secure the front tire(or do you take it off)??

Also, can you get the XLS model w/o stowable 3rd row seat??

Thanks, Larry
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    you have to remove the front tires. The front end of the bike suspension shock is secure to floor lock.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Also, can you get the XLS model w/o stowable 3rd row seat??

No, in the US, the XLS always come with a stow away 3rd row seat.
  • lott42_sflott42_sf Member Posts: 5
    you have to remove the front tires. The front end of the bike suspension shock is secure to floor lock.

Is there a floor lock on each side of the forks?? I have a road bike by the way but I assume it's the same regardless.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    I just noticed that the UK, and I assume European Outlander, gets different - nicer IMO, more refined door panels. :cry:

It looks like they get an overhead storage too.
    where did you see the pics dodo2? from what I see, it's just the same thing as the US models except for the silver painted/chrome inner door latch. Maybe you're looking at the Outlander concept pics.
    I got the picture from Mitsubishi UK web site.
    Mitsu UK
    The door handles are silver (more elegant IMO), there is a a fabric/leatherette insert around the arm rest and the upper part flows from the dashboard line.
    Here it is the picture:

Yes indeed, they are slightly different. I noticed they got both the roof rails and the side silver accent too. In the pre-production models of the US Outlander, the silver side panels were there, to my surprise it was dropped in the production model. IMO, the Outlander would have looked good with it.
    You will probably be able to find them on eBay at one point. They would look nice on the XLS to complement the roof rails and door handles. It wouldn't look too good on the LS since every other exterior trim is black.
  • kellenbencekellenbence Member Posts: 11
    Anyone know if the Nav. database updates automatically via satelite, or do you upgrade via DVD. One more question: How do you enter a Hwy or Rt.36 when routing a location. I coulnd't figure it out only one Rt. came up for a certain area and I know there are way more that have been there for years. No info or support number in book???

Thanks, Brand New Pearl White owner XLS Loaded.
  • kellenbencekellenbence Member Posts: 11
    I've had bose before and I'll take Rockford in my Outlander.
    I second that...paper cones
    After many months of looking at hundreds of pictures of the Outlander, I finally got to see it in person.
    First of all, I was happy with the exterior looks. Since I'm planning to buy the LS 4WD, I was a little bit concerned about how the 16" wheels would look like, but I have to say that I'm perfectly fine with it.
    On the interior, being aware from this forum and various other reviews about few short comings - hard plastic door panels, cheap sun visors, cheap AC controls etc., I took a closer look at these items. I came to the conclusion that these are not the worst parts of Outlander's interior.
    What I discovered, and I'm a bit disappointed, is that many other small interior trims are cheap and they are not fitted or executed very well:
    1. The plastic housing of the rear seats folding mechanism is made of thin plastic, it's loose and exposes the metal parts inside.
    2. The upper glove box plastic enclosure does not hide the wires and other parts behind the dashboard.
    3. The carpet on the passenger's side, the right edge under the dashboard, does not fully cover the floor/firewall insulation.
    4. There are fairly big gaps between the door panels edges and the metal door frames.
    5. The gap between the front door and B-pillar is big enough that you could see/read the label on the B-pillar.
    I wonder if this does not add up to the cabin noise reported by some owners on this forum.
    My preliminary conclusion is that while the design is nice, there is quite a bit of room for improvement in fit and finish. In general, the plastics are not significantly worst than, let's say, the ones in the RAV4, but the fit and finish could be better.
    However, I still like the car a lot and $5K+ cheaper than the RAV4 V6 Sport (this is Canada) will probably help me overcome my little disappointment with the interior fit and finish. Too bad Mitsubishi was so close to bring the perfect vehicle to the compact SUV market, but there is still time to fix it.
    Sorry for the long post.
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I have an ES with (of course) cloth seats. I too was disappointed by having to get the xls to get leather and even then having to purchase the top of the line AND pay extra for leather. I'm happy with the fabric and seating position and I'm 6'4" and over 400#!! Leather to me can be disappointing in it's durability unless it is quality leather. My vote is for the cloth!
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I agree with your assessment and your probable decision to let the good overcome the bad. I personally found that (after buying the ES) that I definately made the right decision. If I had spent 4K more for the XLS AND another 3k more for the sun/sound and luxury packages I would have felt cheated. The pieces of the interior that don't change from ES all the way to XLS leave it with somewhat of a cheap feel/look (that I'm calling "sporty" instead of cheap). I can live with some of that at 19K but at 27K? not so much.
  • johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    I agree that the interior of the Outlander is disappointing. It is OK for a $20K vehicle, but the $30K Outlanders with the "luxury" package get the same hard plastic interior. The pieces on top of the dashboard look like they came straight out of a Lego toy set.
  • smlpkg611smlpkg611 Member Posts: 15
    Can any one explain the floor covering? It feels kind of cheap. In the middle row, there is a gap in the floor covering. If you pick it up, you can see the styrofoam insulation. The gap is big enough to let water and dirt accumulate brought in from passengers. We ski...so we're talking about snow melt and sand.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    Personally I think the Outlander interior is better looking and better feeling than anything in its class and price point. The color you choose also makes a difference.
  • johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    Which price point do you mean? I might agree that the Outlander's interior is fine at the $20K price point, but Outlander prices reach all the way to $30K (and more) if you add on the luxury and other packages. At the $30K price level, the Outlander has one of the worst interiors among small Japanese SUVs. They really should have included a nicer interior in the luxury package (or maybe all XLS models).
    The leading competitor in the 20k to 30k price category is the Toyota RAV4. To my eye the Outlander interior has better styling and nicer materials. Plus it doesn't smell like a plastic glue factory like the Toyota.

The only small SUV that I thought might have an interior styling edge was the Mazda CX-7. But it was close, and the Outlander had so many other better features that it made my decision easy.

What $30k SUV do you think has the best interior styling?
  • ittylaittyla Member Posts: 2
    I love my new Outlander XLS but haven't found a place yet to put my change. Any suggestions?
    I would like to trade one of the many cupholders for a change holder!!
    You could use the change holder, on the left side of the steering column - some sort of padding would be recommended to avoid rattles OR you could buy the ashtray insert and use it as change holder - this is what I did.
    Each person is different, but in my opinion, the biggest offenders in Outlander's interior are the door panels - the top part is plain hard plastic with no fabric or soft material insert. Other than that few other, not quite good pieces are the sunvisors (soft and no ex tender) and HVAC controls in LS model (the exterior ring is made out of plastic not rubber) and few small plastic trims that don't seem to be too solid (e.g. rear seat hinges covers).
    But all these are compensated by a nicer interior/exterior design and many nice touches (e.g. leather steering wheel w/audio and cruise, leather shift knob, great fabric seats)that matters to me. Think about it - you hold the steering wheel in your hands all the time, but you only occasionally touch the HVAC controls and this is for few seconds. I know in the US, the price gap is narrower between the Outlander and RAV4, CRV, Santa Fe, but in Canada is huge and I mean thousands of dollars for similarly equipped vehicles. And even at much higher price in CRV and RAV4, you don't get some of the features.
  • colonel717colonel717 Member Posts: 20
    I was deciding between a Santa Fe and an Outlander and chose the Santa Fe with the main reason being because I was very disappointed in the interior of the Outlander for the price. Santa Fe's interior blows the Outlander away IMO.
    Well, to each his own. I think the Outlander's interior is not the best in it's class but it's not the worst either. And by that I just meant the dash and not the whole interior. I would agree the dash could have been better as one piece rather than a multi-piece. But the dash alone couldn't sway me away from the good handling of the Outlander, plus the options I get for the price point is the best in it's class. And let's just say I don't really find the Sante Fe's exterior "masculine" enough, but that's just my 2 cents.
    I've test driven both the Outlander and the Sante Fe. The interior of the Sante Fe is nicer. My preference is for fold-flat seats over the flip and fold kind. That makes it easier to haul larger things.....like wood or skis. And the Outlander doesn't look like any or every other suv on the road. The exterior has distinctive styling.

IMHO, the handling of the Outlander is superior to that of the Sante Fe. It is steadier on the road and accelerates better.

Ah....I am sortof rough on the test drives, when I can get away with it....acceleration, braking, rough roads, potholes, quick turns.
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    My favorite SUV for Interior in the 25K class was the Suzuki GrandVitara...The santa FE is nice also but the Outlander had the best driver seat (SantaFe seat sucks) and had the 4WD system I need in the mountains and also has the most powerful engine of all the SUVs i test drove...The Grand Vitara was my No. 2 choice but was underpowered and the wheel on the tail is ugly. However, it was the best value...

The Outlander has the best looking exterior...The dash on the Outtie can be fixed up nice with a $150 dash kit. I myself like the dash as it is....
    Everyone has a different perception. Personally, I like the Outlander's dash very much. I don't think it needs any kit. The patterned upper dash material is different from the classic, textured hard plastic in RAV4, Santa Fe or CRV. The whole interior looks contemporary and sporty. I wish it had a little bit more solid feel, but that's OK. Like I said before, I wish it had some nicer door panels. That's the major issue I have, but even so, I love my Outlander in and out. In my eyes, it looks much better than any competitor no matter where you look.
  • craigm3craigm3 Member Posts: 20
    I agree. I like the look of the interior. In fact, I even like the fact that the interior isn't overly "nice". With two kids and two dogs, I expect the interior to get pretty beat up over time. An upscale interior would have me mad at my kids all the time. :)

Bottom line, as long as it has the NAV, a great stereo, and is easy to clean, I'm happy.
    Do you have the cloth interior or the leather? We have a golden retriever...he has excellent manners in the car but his hair gets all over the place. I think it would just stick to the felt-like material, especially the black!
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    I am with you on the door panels. There should be some other material on the tops of side panels.
    Dash is fine. Seats are very comfortable.
    If your dog is black, get the black interior...If dog is light, get to beige interior...The black cloth is the most beautiful when clean but it attracts lint in the air like crazy....
    Understood about the color....how does the cloth hold up? It looks like it will pill or scratch easily. I'm not a fan of leather but am interested in the power driver seat. I'd much prefer cloth over leather any day.
    I have the black cloth...It's actually a synthetic blend..I've had the car for over 3 months now and I have no visible scuffs or pill...It's very tight and well fit....I will be using a black bucket "cool seat" I got at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for only $10 for the summer months though..
  • lad578lad578 Member Posts: 10
    Been lurking for a while reading all the comments and counter comments; interesting and useful information most of the time. Have a question for those with the navigation system. Does it have the capability of tts(text-to-speech)...like instead of telling you to "turn left in 20 feet", it tells you the actual street name eg "turn left in 20 feet on main street".

Not too sure about the durability of hard drive nav system, all the shaking/vibrations of imperfect road conditions will sure affect the longevity of the HD (will highly affect the mean time for failure). I know there is a 5 yr warranty, but would hate to lose all the music saved on the HD when and if it fails. Wonder if there is a way to do a periodic backup? Hope someone can take a stab at these questions :)
    Does it have the capability of tts(text-to-speech)...like instead of telling you to "turn left in 20 feet", it tells you the actual street name eg "turn left in 20 feet on main street".

No it does not do that. And it doesn't have to because all information on street names is on the screen. All instructions seems to be pre-recorded and not read off like a robot from text-to-speech engine of Microsoft Agent characters.

Not too sure about the durability of hard drive nav system, all the shaking/vibrations of imperfect road conditions will sure affect the longevity of the HD (will highly affect the mean time for failure). I know there is a 5 yr warranty, but would hate to lose all the music saved on the HD when and if it fails. Wonder if there is a way to do a periodic backup?

5 year warranty for a hard drive is about the best you can have. Even for PC hard drives not subjected to the vibrations of the road, the best you can get is 5 years too from Seagate. So far nobody is complaining of HDD failure so it must be holding on well. I guess nobody likes data/music loss, but it's a risk for a drive that has mechanical and magnetic parts, and even for solid state memories. In other words there is always a chance that at some point in the future it will fail. How soon, that nobody can tell. The fact that the MMCS only records music from an optical media you already have, you don't really run the risk of losing your music altogether because you'll be losing only the copy of your original CD. Although the backup feature would have been neat, nobody figured out a way to do that yet, short of removing the actual drive from the MMCS unit.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    A very positive review of the Outlander's interior...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mc/07outlander.htm
  • docmaasdocmaas Member Posts: 4
    Can someone tell me how long the rear compartment is with the 2nd row seats folded? I need to be able to sleep in the car.

Do the seats come out? Can the tailgate be lowered with the lower part still open?

thanks,

Mike

Also anyone know why the post a message at the end of a thread sometimes has an option for notification by email and sometimes doesn't?

Also how do you start a completely new thread rather than a reply or an additional message in a current thread?

thanks again,

Mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You'll no longer see that email notification message at the bottom of the posts once you track a discussion (if you decide to track a discussion, you'll get a chance to select the email option at that time).

Please see the Help link at the bottom right for the FAQ on starting a new discussion. Thanks.
  • jhc003jhc003 Member Posts: 10
    Below the dash cup holder to the left of the steering wheel there is a little flip down compartment, that looks like it would be perfect for change. Maybe you found it by now. I love all the storage in the Outlander! I just picked mine up and I hope to have good luck with it.
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Did you get an answer to this? I just got a leftover 2007
    and also cannot find the oil filter location. No web search
    answers so far.

Thanks
    The oil filter is located on the right front side of the engine.
    Facing the engine or sitting in the vehicle? (sorry)
    What is it next to? I looked and looked. Is it accessible from top or bottom?

Thanks
    Drivers side on the front of the engine. Look from under the car. It's a small filter to start with and there is a drip-diverting funnel that hides it.
    Thanks! I'll crawl back under this weekend and look again.

Have you changed the oil yourself? My wife's Malibu is real easy and they want a fortune to do a synthetic oil change, do I've been doing them myself. I'd like to also go with synthetic 5-20 on the Outlander, but if it's one of those
    "jack up the engine to get access" things I might have to reconsider.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    I've found good site MITSUBISHI.AUTOWEBACCESSORIES.COM for OEM 07 Outlander parts. They don't have much yet (no roof crossbars yet), but rest is still cheaper than dealer, e.g. Trailer Hitch (MZ313809) for $242 + SH, Trailer Harness (MZ 313815) $63.78 + SH.
    Does anybody know better source?
  • kabhkabh Member Posts: 7
    Winter is quickly approaching. Does anyone know where to get custom rubber floormats and rubber cargo mat for the 2007 outlander?
  • kabhkabh Member Posts: 7
    Looking for suggestions on how to keep the grocery bags from flying all over the place in the cargo area of the 2007 outlander. Indeas?
This discussion has been closed.